This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Allis/Farmall/Jd/ ETC Traction Control ?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Macon Rounds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Allis/Farmall/Jd/ ETC Traction Control ?
    Posted: 19 Nov 2023 at 6:16pm
When did the different tractor manufacturers implement traction control ?

I say traction control because every manufacturer had thier own name for lifting a tillage implement to load the rear of the tractor for Traction. And subsequently lowering it back down when sensing hich was unloaded.

Allis is Traction Boost Implemented 19_ _ ?

Farmall is Draft Control implemented 19_ _?

Ford / Ferguson ???

John Deer ????

Minni Mo ?????

Oliver

Cockshutt

Etc ?

I believe Ford/Ferguson was the 1st

I'll try to keep updating this as our information in confirmed.

Let's have a fun informative thread here.

Edited by Macon Rounds - 19 Nov 2023 at 6:34pm
The Allis "D" Series Tractors, Gravely Walk behind Tractors, Cowboy Action Shooting !!!!!!! And Checkmate
Sponsored Links

exSW View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote exSW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2023 at 6:40pm
I think IH started with the second generation Fast Hitch and the Tel-a-Depth. Which would be very late 400(1956?)to 450 and 560.
Learning AC...slowly
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2023 at 7:05pm
Ford/ Massey weren't activated by the draft. They were crushing the top link. So, pull type implements could never be used with their system.  A-C  WD 1948 true activation from the pull point.
Macon Rounds View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Macon Rounds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2023 at 7:45pm
So

Would tracton control on a Allis WD work on a pull type plow ?

Just trying to educate myself.
The Allis "D" Series Tractors, Gravely Walk behind Tractors, Cowboy Action Shooting !!!!!!! And Checkmate
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2023 at 8:45pm
With a Traction Booster drawbar, yes.
HudCo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HudCo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2023 at 8:55pm
ok lets make it both mounted draft control and drawbar draft control
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2023 at 6:14am
I think I'm correct on this, but the original Farmall "fast hitch" didn't use hydraulics or sensing to trigger hydraulics for weight transfer. They had that huge wishbone shaped device under the rear end that worked like a lever. The harder it got pulled on, the more it moved to the rear and pivoted the lifting spears up, thus in a different kind of way to transfer implement weight. I've never run one, so I can't speak to its performance. But it looks like it wasn't easily adjusted for conditions or the TERRAIN (up down hills and swales) and the fact that it was replaced (after A-C patents ran out ?) with a different way of working by the 460/560 generation, makes me think it was less than stellar. But, it was better than what they had before....nothing. Allis-Chalmers Traction Booster itself evolved too. From the beginning, pull type implements weren't in the picture and the control of the system was thru one-lever, after making some minor adjustments to the hyd pump itself. Next, was the Traction Booster gauge on the WD45 to help the operator use the system and then the Transport valve for semi-mounted implements and eventually the Traction Booster drawbar for fully pull type implements.  When the D14-17 were introduced, the Traction Booster was once again improved upon. Now, we had a two-lever system that kept your weight transfer setting locked, so when you made your turn at the fields end, it was already set when you dropped the implement back in the ground. Also, in 1959ish there was a rate-of-drop built into the lowered to make the system perform even better with larger heavier implements. When the mighty One-Ninety tractor came out in 1964, the Traction Booster system had built-in feed-back linkage to help with over sensing and keep implement depth more consistent. Again, implements were getting longer and some tweaking was made to keep ahead of competitors. Allis always had a system that could easily be changed/adjusted on-the-go from the seat. Not everyone could do that.
Charlie175 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlie175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2023 at 6:33am
The D10/12 traction booster system works excellent. I haven't used a Series 1 but they are similar to the CA style, but the Series 2 advanced this even further and the Series 3 was even better. Yes this is the 1960's but AC by then had perfected the system and it allowed smaller tractors to perform better in the field.
There are some good demos of this on youtube showing D19/21's using and not using the system and how it aids traction.

Charlie

'48 B, '51 CA, '56 WD45 '61 D17, '63 D12, '65 D10 , '68 One-Ninety XTD
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Macon Rounds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2023 at 6:35am
That is interesting.

I knew there was old and new style Fast Hich for IH but I never knew the difference.

Also I never saw a draft sensing draw bar for a Wd.

Isn't similar to the D and 100 series ?

I'll add photos of what I have.
PaulB View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2023 at 6:54am
Nearly everyone has the misinformed idea the there was a Ford/Ferguson tractor. Truth is the Ford 9N had the Ferguson 3pt hitch system, beginning in 1939. This should be clear to anyone reading the 2 grill badges The top one being the Ford oval logo, the bottom one being "Ferguson System".
   The Ferguson System on the Ford tractor was due to the "handshake agreement" between Henry Ford and Harry Ferguson for the use of Ferguson's system with payment of royalty fees to Harry Ferguson. This agreement carried onto production of the 2N Ford tractor.  When Ford developed the 8N Tractor, Henry Ford decided not to continue paying Harry Ferguson royalties, leading to a long term lawsuit against Henry Ford and the Ford company. Ford eventually lost as he delayed everything possible to drag out things as long as possible. This led to Harry Ferguson nearly going bankrupt, because of extensive lawyer fees and Ford never paid up as ordered by the courts. 

Edited by PaulB - 20 Nov 2023 at 7:25am
If it was fun to pull in LOW gear, I could have a John Deere.
Real pullers don't have speed limits.
If you can't make it GO... make it SHINY
victoryallis View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote victoryallis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2023 at 7:07am

If you can’t do your own depth control you shouldn’t be on a tractor.  
8030 and 8050MFWD, 7580, 3 6080's, 160, 7060, 175, heirloom D17, Deere 8760
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2023 at 7:23am
The snap-coupler Traction Booster "drawbar" for pull-type implements was in the WD45 era and worked on the WD too. Also carried on into the D-series and 100 series, if it was a snap-coupler hitch tractor. They also created a Traction Booster drawbar for Cat #2 and #3  three-point hitches used on the 190's/D21's and newer.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Macon Rounds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2023 at 7:58am
I'll post photos of what I have.

But like most of the snap coupler equipment

The hardest thing is getting it hooked to the tractor.

Edited by Macon Rounds - 20 Nov 2023 at 11:31am
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2023 at 8:07am
The most common use for the Traction Booster drawbar was on a disc. It became part of the disc as a 3 1/2 ft pivoting extension of the tongue and had the snap-coupler eye and lifting links built into it. Before it was created, the disc was hitched very close to the tractor and you had to set the rear wheels clear wide to be able to turn on the field ends. This longer TBD attachment made your turns normal for shortness.
HudCo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HudCo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2023 at 7:13pm
hope someones knows about the olivers and molines  i really like the oliver tractors
exSW View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote exSW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2023 at 9:43am
Originally posted by exSW exSW wrote:

I think IH started with the second generation Fast Hitch and the Tel-a-Depth. Which would be very late 400(1956?)to 450 and 560.
A little more on the late IH FH traction control. 
On the left rear corner of the operators platform is a vertically operated lever with notch settings.It is attached to an eccentric in the FH an that mechanically sets wheel slip. It works. Pull it all the way up you'll reduce wheel slip to zero. And possibly break things.

Edited by exSW - 21 Nov 2023 at 9:44am
Learning AC...slowly
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2023 at 9:59am
I like that. "And possibly break things" .......
exSW View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote exSW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2023 at 11:29am
Originally posted by DrAllis DrAllis wrote:

I like that. "And possibly break things" .......
A contributing factor in the early 560 rearend fiasco. An under speced bullgear bearing( the whole problem in a nut shell), hard working ground and reducing slip to zero through this device. 
Learning AC...slowly
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2023 at 11:34am
I'm almost 70 and only heard about the "560" rear end problems probably 4 or 5 years ago. It was pretty bad, wasn't it ?? And the inner axle bearing was the culprit  ?? which was the same location M-SuM-400-450's had some troubles with when a ball would get out of the inner axle bearing and roll between the bull gear and the bottom of the rear end case. There wasn't room for that ball to be there and it would poke a hole in the bottom of the case.
PaulB View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2023 at 6:48pm
Yes: those inner axle ball bearings near the bull gears on Farmalls was a weak link in their rears, they were prone to destruction in just a farm tractor if not noticed by the operator. They would make a very distinctive sound that you didn't want to ignore. 
   In the 70s we were using M rears in modifieds. We found many things that gave up as we increased the horsepower. First the pilot bearing at the front of the main shaft gave up allowing the top shaft to lift and destroy the transmission gears. So the first fix was replacing the ball bearing with a roller bearing and only giving that bearing a life of about 30 runs. Then we remade the entire input and constant mesh gears with wider gears with heavier bearings also eliminating 4th & 5th gears with a ratio change speeding 3 in an M to faster than 4th in a SuM. Then later with roller bearings replacing the inner axle bearing  and welded in 5th gear we were able to reliably put 1500 HP through an M rear. We did twist axles, but never broke one. 
If it was fun to pull in LOW gear, I could have a John Deere.
Real pullers don't have speed limits.
If you can't make it GO... make it SHINY
Dave (Mid-MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave (Mid-MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2023 at 7:24pm
Update to PaulB's post. Henry Ford died in 1947, before the 8N came out. Henry Ford II made the decision not to honor his grandfather's handshake agreement with Harry Ferguson.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Macon Rounds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2023 at 8:23am
We all know that farmall is a respectibal tractor
but this thread is on traction control not tractor pulling.

We're getting off topic here .

So, if i understand correctly,
1956 was 1st year for farmall draft control ?

What was it called ?

IBWD MIke View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2023 at 8:56am
According to my 450 op. manual, it's called "Traction control".
exSW View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote exSW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2023 at 10:24am
Originally posted by DrAllis DrAllis wrote:

I'm almost 70 and only heard about the "560" rear end problems probably 4 or 5 years ago. It was pretty bad, wasn't it ?? And the inner axle bearing was the culprit  ?? which was the same location M-SuM-400-450's had some troubles with when a ball would get out of the inner axle bearing and roll between the bull gear and the bottom of the rear end case. There wasn't room for that ball to be there and it would poke a hole in the bottom of the case.
Since I've owned an early('59) 560 for 34 years I've heard quite a bit. Mine has the update and it's ran the subsoiler two foot deep in clay and hung in there. How IH missed it is a mystery. It was a known problem in 400 and 450's with all the M&W goodies. A liitle known fact is JD had rearend issues with 4010's in severe service but it was handed much more descreatly. This helps explain the amount of iron in the 706/806's.
Learning AC...slowly
Randy Magnum View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy Magnum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2023 at 11:22am
Was Moline’s Tel-O-Flo a draft control system? Or just the hydraulic system?
exSW View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote exSW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2023 at 11:37am
Originally posted by Macon Rounds Macon Rounds wrote:

We all know that farmall is a respectibal tractor
but this thread is on traction control not tractor pulling.

We're getting off topic here .

So, if i understand correctly,
1956 was 1st year for farmall draft control ?

What was it called ?

I think 1956 would be about right. I've seen late 400's with the newer FH. But FH was retrofitable back to the MTA(the rearends were already drilled and tapped. And IH sold them for just thst purpose.
Learning AC...slowly
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2023 at 4:37pm
I believe the 4010 rear end issues (early on) were discovered by Deere in their 24-7 race track continuous day-after-day-after-day testing. The weak link was the differential carrier housing when 100% loaded continuously in LOW gear. If there was something else, I hadn't heard about it.
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2023 at 5:44pm
Looked up Farmall 450 "Traction Control" information. It's mechanical, not hydraulic, skirting the Allis patent design. Tries to achieve the same thing, but doing it differently. Interestingly, this 500 pound hunk of iron under the belly actually pulls from the same general area of the Allis snap-coupler bell !!!!!!!!! How about that !!!   It's the best they ever had at the time, but shouldn't match Traction Booster because it isn't easily or infinitely adjustable (hyd lever settings) and because they never offered it for pull type implements.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Macon Rounds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2023 at 7:45pm
Yea

From all my IH friends which are MANY that system never worked very well.

Plowing in loamy soils can be done with any system.
But varying clay/ loamy soils will test the best systems. Allis if adjusted properly will plow thru it all......

Not being brand favorable.
But IH didn't hold a candle to Allis Tracton Boost which is still viable in today's small farms.

Edited by Macon Rounds - 22 Nov 2023 at 7:52pm
SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2023 at 9:13pm
TB worked good on my 220 30? yrs ago after pump was turned up. Before it was running out of power before the "boost" overcame the draft! How did the 7-8000's do with TB and a plow? Was it as good as the WD45?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic