This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Fordson Mounted Gleaner

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
JasonB View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JasonB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fordson Mounted Gleaner
    Posted: 26 Jan 2017 at 5:37pm

I went to Dyersville to the National Farm Toy Show last Nov and brought home a 1/64th custom 3D printed model of the Fordson Mounted Gleaner combine. Out of curiosity, does anyone know how many of them have survived? Know AGCO has 1 of them at the Hesston KS plant( or at least they did at one point. Ed Larson has the other one, but not sure how many more are out there? Saw a video on You tube of at least 1 in Europe. I could have swore I have seen one at a local show up in Ontario years ago, way back when still in Grade school.    

Jason
Sponsored Links

B26240 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote B26240 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2017 at 6:26pm
Saw one operate at Gilbert Vusts show 2004 at Portage LaPrarie.
Lon(MN) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lon(MN) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2017 at 7:00pm
I was standing next to you Mark watching it also.
JasonB View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JasonB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2017 at 7:49pm
Nice to know that at least 4 of the Fordson Mounted Gleaners are in existent still.
Dale-OH View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale-OH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2017 at 8:46pm
We have one! I know of parts of 3 more here in Ohio they are trying to build 2 complete units
180Puller View Drop Down
Silver Level Access
Silver Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 180Puller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2017 at 9:49pm
This one sold southwest of Ottawa,KS in 2009...It went to Oklahoma..

This one sold just south of Concordia,KS in 2014..

I know that theres one in Montana...There may be 15-20 around..
allisrutledge View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allisrutledge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2017 at 10:01pm
Tom Mitchell still got one?
Allis Chalmers still exist in my mind and barns
truckerfarmer View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote truckerfarmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2017 at 10:22pm
Wasn't there one at Hutch last summer?
Looking at the past to see the future.
'53 WD, '53 WD45, WD snap coupler field cultivator, #53 plow,'53 HD5B dozer

Duct tape.... Can't fix stupidity. But will muffle the sound of it!
Dale-OH View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale-OH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2017 at 10:29pm
Tom Mitchell has the partials I was talking about.
CrestonM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrestonM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2017 at 10:49pm
Originally posted by 180Puller 180Puller wrote:

This one sold southwest of Ottawa,KS in 2009...It went to Oklahoma..

I'll bet a million dollars I know who has it. Jim Esbenshade in Colbert, OK. He has one. I bet it's that one, and he repainted it.
shameless (ne) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless (ne) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2017 at 12:08am
I saw one sell on an auction many years ago not far from me, it was quite an attention getter, and when it came time to sell it, they started it and ran it. it didn't bring much, but don't remember now how much. I do know it didn't go to a scraper.
JasonB View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JasonB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2017 at 5:21am
Wow! Very nice to see these other Fordson Mounted Gleaner's in existence! Nice to know that a few of them are still out and about. Anyone have any of the old pull type Gleaners? I knew of one Gleaner pull type combine that was in our area, not really sure what became of it though, I do know we pulled it in the local parade for the local AGCO dealer at one time, was pulled by an AGCO Allis 6680 in the parade. I think it was a P-80 Gleaner combine.

Gary View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2017 at 5:23am

I saw a complete 1924 model in a line-up of antique farm machinery about 4 years ago.

Gary
JasonB View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JasonB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2017 at 5:29am
Originally posted by Gary Gary wrote:

I saw a complete 1924 model in a line-up of antique farm machinery about 4 years ago.

Gary

Gary, was this combine in Ontario Canada? Or down in the US? Could have swore I saw one in grade school up at the Blyth Ontario Steam Show years ago.

Gary View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2017 at 12:33pm

Jason

It was out on the west coast of USA

Gary
Kip-Utah View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kip-Utah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2017 at 1:07pm
Gleaner was featured at the 2004 "Gathering of the Orange" at Portage la Prairie, Manitoba, Canada. Got to see lots of old Gleaner & All-Crop combines working including the one that Mark & Lon both mentioned. I don't know who owns that one or how he did not choke to death running it! Kip
HANSEN'S OLD ORANGE IRON. Showing, Pulling, & Going!!
JasonB View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JasonB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2017 at 1:18pm
Originally posted by Kip-Utah Kip-Utah wrote:

Gleaner was featured at the 2004 "Gathering of the Orange" at Portage la Prairie, Manitoba, Canada. Got to see lots of old Gleaner & All-Crop combines working including the one that Mark & Lon both mentioned. I don't know who owns that one or how he did not choke to death running it! Kip

They may be dusty to run for sure, especially in dry itchy barley, but back in 1923, the farmer would have thought he had the world by the tail running the Fordson Mounted Gleaner when it was new. Much like a farmer today running a Brand New Gleaner S98 with 40F Draper head.

I do have the Spec Cast 1/64th Semi Truck & Trailer set from the Manitoba Gathering of the Orange that shows a nice Gleaner harvesting scene on it.

Someday hope to see one of these Fordson Mounted Gleaners run in person. Out of curiosity, I know they were specifically designed to mount on the Fordson Tractor, but would they run on another make of tractor? Would be neat to see one on an Allis equivalent.

180Puller View Drop Down
Silver Level Access
Silver Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 180Puller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2017 at 1:19pm
Heres the one in Montana..It may have been in the same family since new...It was on ebay but didn't sell?They still run a Gleaner today..
This may be the one that sold in Kansas in 2009...This was early 80's before it got bought and restored by the Sylvester family..Yes Creston, Jim Esbenshade bought it and several others at the sale....I wasn't standing that far away when he bought them..

This could be Vusts??? I don't really know..

Edited by 180Puller - 27 Jan 2017 at 1:23pm
JasonB View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JasonB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2017 at 1:25pm
Originally posted by 180Puller 180Puller wrote:

Heres the one in Montana..It may have been in the same family since new...They still run a Gleaner today..
This may be the one that sold in Kansas in 2009...This was early 80's before it got bought and restored by the Sylvester family..Yes,Creston Jim Esbenshade bought it and several others at the sale....I wasn't standing that far away when he bought them..

This could be Vusts??? I don't really know..

Excellent pictures! If that Fordson Mounted Gleaner in Montana is still in the Original Family and they still are running a Gleaner combine today is Very impressive. Thanks for Sharing.    
Kip-Utah View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kip-Utah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2017 at 2:43pm
As far as I know this was strictly a Fordson only deal. Gleaner and Henry Ford had some type of arrangement. 6 cylinder Ford truck engines were used on some of the early pull behind Gleaners, I also looked at a couple of those at Portage la Prairie. Henry Ford also was a big fan of the Allis-Chalmers All-Crop combines, He owned and operated several of them on his farm...but they were all pulled by his very own Fordson tractors even when could have easily afforded some nice Persian Orange WCs!!
HANSEN'S OLD ORANGE IRON. Showing, Pulling, & Going!!
Dipstick In View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dipstick In Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2017 at 2:57pm
There is one shown nearly every year at the Indiana State Fair in Indianapolis,,,,,,,, it is a working combine too.
And Steve Shide has a working Gleaner Pull type near Remington,,,,,,,, it may be a Model 6?????????????? just not sure the number,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

He bought it from Marion Klutzke at Lafayette a few years back!
You don't really have to be smart if you know who is!
JasonB View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JasonB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2017 at 3:31pm

As far as I know this was strictly a Fordson only deal. Gleaner and Henry Ford had some type of arrangement. 6 cylinder Ford truck engines were used on some of the early pull behind Gleaners, I also looked at a couple of those at Portage la Prairie. Henry Ford also was a big fan of the Allis-Chalmers All-Crop combines, He owned and operated several of them on his farm...but they were all pulled by his very own Fordson tractors even when could have easily afforded some nice Persian Orange WCs!!

Very informative! When I was at Dyersville IA at the National Toy Show, I picked up some brochures on the old Gleaner pull type combines, and the dealer selling them mentioned to me that the Ford Car dealership across from the AC dealer in his home town sold Gleaners along with Ford, when AC bought Gleaner, the combines moved to the AC dealer, So I have to ask: Did Gleaner Baldwin market and sell the Fordson Mounted Gleaners and the pull type combines through Ford's dealer network at the time? Makes a lot of sense to me if that's the case.

Would be interesting to know if any of the Original Gleaner dealers prior to AC buying them out still exist today? I am always interested to learn about Gleaner's dealer network before Allis Chalmers got involved.( Although I am really glad AC bought Gleaner).

Interesting about Henry Ford being a big fan of the All-Crop combine. I wonder if there ever was talk about merging AC with Ford, or Ford buying the Gleaner line up to give them a combine?

Pat the Plumber CIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pat the Plumber CIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2017 at 5:34pm

I thought the same thing Kip when I saw this set up .In the middle of all that going on around you . Would imagine it would be down right miserable if the wind was blowin the wrong direction , heck it would be bad if the wind was blowing the right direction .

Back on the farm when I was a youngin my older brother was running the Allcrop 72 harvesting soybeans .The way the wind was blowing it either was blowin in his face or blowing at his back . He would only run the combine one direction and then drive a quarter mile down the field to the other end and only work the combine into the wind .When my dad found out he about came unglued . After there little discussion my brother had to work it both ways . My brother came home that night dirtier than a coal miner .
You only need to know 3 things to be a plumber;Crap rolls down hill,Hot is on the left and Don't bite your fingernails

1964 D-17 SIV 3 Pt.WF,1964 D-15 Ser II 3pt.WF ,1960 D-17 SI NF,1956 WD 45 WF.
180Puller View Drop Down
Silver Level Access
Silver Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 180Puller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2017 at 6:24pm
Heres one at a museum in California..

The family in Montana thats had a Gleaner-Fordson since 1927 currently run this S-77 Gleaner..I love this picture with a storm off in the distance..

Running a Gleaner-Fordson on a 90-100 degree day would be miserable...The heat would be trapped in there....They also weren't much good in the mud..

Edited by 180Puller - 27 Jan 2017 at 6:32pm
JasonB View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JasonB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2017 at 6:49pm
Yes, I imagine it would have been miserable to run on a 90 to 100 degree day. You were probably stopping often to avoid over heating the engine or clean the machine. Must have been fun trying to pull that combine out when it did get stuck in the mud. Still it seems like it was ahead of it's time in 1923 compared to the more common thrashing machines at the time. Nice piece of Gleaner's history for sure, and amazing to see so many of them have survived.
180Puller View Drop Down
Silver Level Access
Silver Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 180Puller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2017 at 6:53pm
They say that this one is at Mt Pleasant,Iowa every year..

This one was restored in 1990 and was for sale in PA some years back for $15,000..

This one was at the 2008 NFM show in Louisville..

My guess is that 20-30 of these still exist..Theres one in Indiana and one in Nebraska..
CALEBnOK View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CALEBnOK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2017 at 7:19pm
There's one about 10 miles from my house in Cashion oklahoma. Owned since new by the Johnson family that had the AC dealer in kingfisher oklahoma. Its in a barn all original.
JasonB View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JasonB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2017 at 7:28pm
Originally posted by CALEBnOK CALEBnOK wrote:

There's one about 10 miles from my house in Cashion oklahoma. Owned since new by the Johnson family that had the AC dealer in kingfisher oklahoma. Its in a barn all original.

That is pretty impressive, and nice to see the combine staying in the same family since New. Never realized how many of the Fordson- Gleaner's existed. It seems like the Fordson-Gleaner had a few different paint schemes from the different machines posted on here.
The one that was a Louisville, is that the one owned by AGCO?   

Ray54 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2017 at 10:19pm
I would of thought there could be more. My dad talked how there was one in this area and most where not impressed. Mostly because Holt had made a sidehill machine that used 12 to 16 foot cutter bar 20 years before this already. But a machine this big used 4 or more men to run when pulled with up to 32 horses. 

That is a great bunch of pictures thank you everyone that shared.

Edited by Ray54 - 27 Jan 2017 at 10:20pm
JohnCO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnCO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2017 at 10:39pm
I was going to mention the one at the 2008 Lousiville Farm Show, also wondered if it was owned by AGCO.  I think it is the only one I have ever seen.  Farmers back then would think we are a bunch of wimps, what with the cabs on everything.  They would be impressed with the size an capacity though, and the price!

"If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer"
Allis Express participant
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic