This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Finally got my WC, some assembly required......

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Dusty MI View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dusty MI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2015 at 7:05am
Try some oven cleaner for cleaning it. Spray it on, let sit for a while, then was off with water.
917 H, '48 G, '65 D-10 series III "Allis Express"
Sponsored Links

allisguy.11 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allisguy.11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2015 at 8:17am
original tires! nice! 
Bill Long View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Long Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2015 at 2:44pm
The Flat Top WC is the first tractor my father sold.  I almost got it back - wish I had - but at the time was not really interested and then it was painted BLUE.
My congratulations on your persistence.  You saved another one.  Thanks for keeping the name of Allis Chalmers alive. 
I would be delighted to see the progress.
Good Luck!
Bill Long 
WC7610 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WC7610 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2015 at 9:12am
Nice project.

Another vote for changing the bell housing out for an electric start- if you hate the electric start you can always switch them back..

Also agreed you need parts book and service manual- invaluable.  The sponsors on the site are all great for parts.

Keep posting updates!
Thanks

Most Bad Government has grown out of Too Much Government- Thomas Jefferson
littlemarv View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote littlemarv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2016 at 9:43pm
Alright, I've been meaning to update this post for a few MONTHS now.....

Been taking parts to work with me, and cleaning a little every day.

Spent a couple hours on the block, first and foremost. Cleaned all the machined surfaces, and chased every bolt hole with a tap.

So, that cleaned up real nice. Just need to pull the cam bearings and the block can get baked and blasted. I talked it over with the engine machine shop in town, cracks up top are no big deal.

Cleaning and stacking parts....

Cleaned up the governor,

B26240 set me up with two fuel tanks, I just had to ship them down here. One has a dent in it, my plan is to clean them both up, use one for my tractor, and pass along the other one to someone who needs it.

Took apart the oil pump, all looks good inside, made up some fittings to test the oil pump and the gauge, put some paper towels over the gear, pushed a 12 point socket over it, and spun it with my electric impact in a bucket of oil. 30 psi no problem.

Took the water pump cover off, hit the abort button on this one pretty quick, just going to get a new one.

Stripped the head down,

The valve stems look O.K. for reuse, may be able to get away with guides and springs and a grind? Need to take the head in for that part.

Strangely enough, I never took a picture of the crank after I cleaned it. It was laying on the dirt floor wrapped in plastic from the engine shop. Unwrapped it, polished a tiny bit of surface rust off it, and measured it. Mains 0.020" undersize, rods 0.030" undersize.

The cam bearing journals measure about 0.0015" under spec. In the manual, it says there are special 0.002" undersize bearings available.

Called Norm Meinert, sure enough, he has a few sets. So, he hooked me up with a complete gasket set, rods, mains, and cam bearings.

Alright, running out of room. Time to add another shelf under the table for more storage...

Mini me helped pull the cam bearings. I though he would get a bang out of pulling them, they were in there so tight I had him sit on the block while I used an 18" crescent wrench to turn the puller. Guess they've been in there way longer than I've been alive....

Took the block and rods in to Carquest, they have an engine machine shop right here in town. Line bore the mains, size four rods and check for twist, and bake and blast the block. Pretty amazing how the block cleaned up.

The rear rims are in great shape. The old rotten tires were folded up under the rims, so the rims were never on the ground. Took them off, got them sandblasted and primed.

More to come....

Thanks for looking!

Edited by littlemarv - 25 Aug 2017 at 10:01pm
The mechanic always wins.

B91131, WC23065, WD89101, CA29479, B1, Early B10, HB212, 416H
Sugarmaker View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2016 at 8:14am
OH MY Goodness! What great progress on the engine work! Glad you have your son helping. Thanks for posting the up date on the WC. Based on what I see its coming along nicely. Good documentation.
Regards,
 Chris
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
GaryL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GaryL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2016 at 8:17am
^^ What Chris said.
ac45dave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac45dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2016 at 10:27am
I like these kinds of posts.keep the updates and pics comming
54 wd-45gas ; 56 wd-45d N/F w/fact p/s ; 63 d-17 sIII N/F gas ; 60 D14 N/F ; 67 d-17 sIV N/F gas ; 63D15 sII W/F; 39rc#667 ; 2021 massey 4710 fwa ; gravely 2 wheel tractors
Jim Hancock View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim Hancock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2016 at 11:34am
Looking good!
How blessed we are by HIS GRACE!
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote littlemarv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2016 at 11:30pm
Building up my parts inventory....

Picked up what I believe to be the correct carb. Says Zenith 7078 on the tag, but apparently its a 124 1/2 model B series. Got some parts coming from Steve at B&B.

Got a set of spoke front wheels from member oldorangeiron. Took off my six bolt fronts and got them blasted and primed.

Found some 16" car tires laying around, put those on the dished rims, to put on the tractor in the meantime. My plan is to get the tractor up and running, make sure everything works and take care of any leaks, then put the spokes on when I paint it. Not sure if the tires are even going to fit, they are a little wide compared to a 6.50 by 16 tri rib.

Alex09 helped me out with a radiator. The fins need a little TLC, but it should clean up O.K.

Whats the tube on the back side for? It goes up into the top tank and theres a cap type thing on top of it, just under the radiator cap. Would that be an overflow tube?

Edited by littlemarv - 25 Aug 2017 at 10:06pm

B26240 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote B26240 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Feb 2016 at 6:16am
Hi Marv; Yes that's the overflow tube.   Great progress I'm happy to be a small part of this project, specially when I see the picture of your son helping out.     Looking forward to future updates !!     Mark
wdtom View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wdtom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Feb 2016 at 10:06am
Just take one part at a time, and don't rush it. Depending on how much time you have to work on it it could take you a few years, but you have saved another orange one! And the fenders look great too! There are a couple of parts you won't have to look for or do much too.  Good luck on your new tractor. 
CTuckerNWIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CTuckerNWIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Feb 2016 at 10:27am
Great job with this. I used a battery charger and water to clean most of my WC smaller parts. The block looked almost as good as yours after 2 weeks in a 55 gallon plastic barrel.
 It looks like you are about 3years into the restoration by comparison to my project Shocked
http://www.ae-ta.com
Lena 1935 WC12xxx, Willie 1951 CA6xx Dad bought new, 1954WD45 PS, 1960 D17 NF
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote littlemarv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Feb 2016 at 2:25pm
So if that is the overflow tube, is this a non pressurized system?

allischalmerguy View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allischalmerguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Feb 2016 at 8:51pm
Mini Me is blessed to have a Dad who is a Mechanic and he can grow up learning all this! My Dad was not a mechanic.
It is great being a disciple of Jesus! 1950 WD, 1957 D17...retired in Iowa,
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote littlemarv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2016 at 12:29am
Took the carb apart and dunked it in the carb cleaner overnight. Everything came so clean I could have probably just put it back together, but Steve at B&B hooked me up with a rebuild kit, so I put new parts in.

One thing I learned pretty quick, is when you are monkeying with carbs, you HAVE to have a screwdriver that fits tight in the brass seats down in the carb. Ground this one down when I did a couple of Briggs carbs, worked good for this one as well.

Wasn't sure on the float height cause it didn't match the instructions, sent a quick email to Steve and he says it looks good.

Picked up a mag off ebay for $25. Said it didn't turn and no spark. So, I took a chance on it. It turns just fine, they must not have tried too hard to get it past the impulse. I grabbed a spark plug wire set and some plugs, bolted it up to a spare governor assembly, and chucked it in my 1/2" drill. No spark.

I'm no expert on these things, but I think the missing rotor may have something to do with it.

Popped the rest of the back cover off. The tar or whatever leaked out of the coil and man does that STINK! So, a few new parts are in order here...

Ken hooked me up with a seat and backrest bracket, Alex 09 had a seat spring, to get the seat back to original. Just need the backrest yet.

SO, slowly but surely.

More to come....

Edited by littlemarv - 25 Aug 2017 at 10:14pm

B26240 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote B26240 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2016 at 6:24am
Marv; great progress!! Steiner tractor parts sells the backrest for the seat if you can't find one elsewhere. When it comes time be sure to take pictures of getting the motor out of the basement of your house, as many of us are wondering how that's going to happen. I love seeing your son helping some on this.    Mark
LeonR2013 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LeonR2013 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2016 at 6:41am
You know Little Marv when those first pics. came up I thought, "What has this boy gotten himself into"? Then when you got all the junk cleaned off it I saw real possibilities here. When you found all the parts at the junk yard including the crank, head, liner kits, the big money parts, you were on your way. Plus friends that have contributed parts or sold you at a very reasonable cost, I don't think you will have any more in it than one that is a non-runner. Plus with your name=mine=oldest son=my father you've got four generations right there to finish it. YAH. GIT'ER DONE. Leon R  Cmo LOL 
Sugarmaker View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2016 at 9:29am
Marv,
 Awesome pictures and congratulations for your post being moved to the AC forum knowledge base of information! This restoration work and documentation on the WC will be a inspiration for many others!
Thanks for taking the time to help AC folks!
Regards,
 Chris
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
alleyyooper View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alleyyooper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2016 at 11:32am
I was at a JD dealer looking for a stock Antique pulling tractor. They had a styled WC with a strange set up for electric starting. A bracket was mounted to the frame rail above the belt pulley. In that frame was a regular engine starter with the nose and gears removed. In there place was a small flat belt pulley about 4 inch's in dia. there was a flat belt around the belt pulley and back up to that starter. Engage the belt pulley run the starter engine starts disengage that belt pulley slip the belt off and you could do belt work with it.
To this day I kick my self for not getting a picture of the set up I thought it was so different. It was back in the day before Digital cameras too.

Al
Bill Long View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Long Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2016 at 4:17pm
The first tractor Allis Chalmers tractor my father sold was a Flat Top WC in the 30's.  From that I have a special affection for them.  
Let me wish you the very best on your restoration efforts.  I commend you for taking the challenge of a such a difficult project.  I remember the pictures of Fred Wilke getting his Waukesha WC.  It was in parts similar to your and now it is one of the prized displays of his collection.  
Keep us in touch as to the progress.  I know that no flat top WC came through with a starter till 1938 when the styled WC's were introduced.  We got a carload Thanksgiving day 1938 and unloaded them that day.  What a treat to have an electric starter.
While it may not be "correct" you should give the addition very close attention.
Good Luck!
Bill Long

ps:  Fred Wilke, Rick Walten, and I with Fred's 1933 Waukesha WC, in NY GOTO.

Steve in NJ View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve in NJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2016 at 6:53am
Great pic Bill! But your missin' the bottom half of your pants... LOL!
Looks like that was taken at the first GOTO in NY.
Steve@B&B
39'RC, 43'WC, 48'B, 49'G, 50'WF, 65 Big 10, 67'B-110, 75'716H, 2-620's, & a Motorhead wife
Bob-Maine View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob-Maine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2016 at 8:12am
Steve, you are right. I remember it well. The story about the WC rescue reminds me of one ( a '37) I bought in Intervale, NH. Had to cut some ash trees to get it out of the woods.
Bob2allisdowneast
I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not sure.
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2016 at 11:22am
It's coming right along!!  Is it gonna go to any shows this year?
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
alan-nj View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alan-nj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2016 at 12:08pm
nah steve, that's just what your pants look like when regular size guys wear them....
If ignorance is bliss, than happy days are here again.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve in NJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2016 at 12:29pm
Oh, okay, maybe that's what that is. Thanks for clearing that up for my big Al. BTW, that's my Grey shop van at the edge of the bay door! Just noticed that...
39'RC, 43'WC, 48'B, 49'G, 50'WF, 65 Big 10, 67'B-110, 75'716H, 2-620's, & a Motorhead wife
marv View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2016 at 6:00pm
Oh the fun! That is my friends WC You drove. He got me started on a 42 B.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve in NJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2016 at 5:34am
Yer' makin' fantastic headway Ryan. Keep rollin' with it man! You have one of those leaky tar taped coils that I always talk about. If'n ya need parts for that ole' girl we got em' in stock. You'll probably find a mess under that coil once you pull it up and out. If you have problems getting the set screws loose, take a Bernzamatic torch and warm up the side of the Mag housing next to the screws. They'll come right out then... Keep goin' man, its comin' along great. Oh yeah, keep them pics comin' to!!
Steve@B&B
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote littlemarv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2016 at 9:23pm
I'm not sure if its going to make any shows this year. Its not for lack of trying, I'm going as fast as my wallet will let me, but the rest of my life sure gets in the way of my full time tractoring!

At any rate, did a little wheeling and dealing on some.....wheels! Alex09 hooked me up with two rears, and a steering wheel.

I put these on for now, to roll it into the shed, and to run it a bit to check it all out before painting. Once I get to making it shine, then I will have to drop some coin on some nice tires to go on the correct rims.

Those car tires were way too wide, They hit the pedestal, so I managed to scrounge up some tri ribs.

Not sure if that is the correct steering wheel or not, but its getting to be go time, here. I can look for the few "correct" parts I need while I'm putting her together with the parts I have on hand.

Well, I managed to get one picture in before old flash got back from putting the jack away....

I noticed once I got the steering wheel on, there was a good amount of play in the steering. I thought it might have to do with being up in the air, so I waited until it was on the ground. There is a solid 3/8 of a turn on the steering wheel before the front wheels start moving. Is there anything to adjust to compensate for wear, or do I need to replace some parts?

I wonder how long it been since this thing sat on four air tires.....

Edited by littlemarv - 25 Aug 2017 at 10:17pm

Dan73 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2016 at 9:34pm
I agree with your son.
Those tires look good enough I would run them even after getting it fixed up. It is starting to really come together and look like a tractor again.   Like some others I wondered just what you where getting into but it looks like you have done really good at controlling the cost while fixing it right so far.
Keep up the good work you will be looking for something to pull with it before you know.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
  Share Topic