This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Finally got my WC, some assembly required......

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
littlemarv View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote littlemarv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Finally got my WC, some assembly required......
    Posted: 16 Oct 2015 at 9:23pm
Well, I've been looking for an unstyled WC all summer, for my next restoration project. I met a lot of nice people, at tractor shows, and tractor pulls, and on this site, who had a WC or knew someone who did. So I went and checked out quite a few, and learned a lot about the small differences in WC's through the years. Unfortunately, they were all out of my price range. Then forum member macvette told me he knew a guy who has an unstyled WC basket case. This sounds right up my alley. Gave the guy a call, turns out someone gave him the tractor, they started to restore it but gave up halfway through. They gave it to Jerry because he is a scrapper and figured he would get rid of it, that was about 8 years ago. Being a scrapper with some sand, he has a pretty good collection of stuff that he says is "too good to scrap".

So, I went over to his house to take a look a few weeks ago.

Isn't it a beaut?

The engine is out, and completely torn apart. He says the block is in here...

And most of the parts should be in here somewhere...

We looked around for quite some time, couldn't find the air cleaner, manifold, steering wheel, hood, fuel tank, or radiator. But, it does have good round spoke rims, fenders in good shape, six bolt front rims, and four brand new cylinder kits still in the boxes. He said the guy had some engine work done, the crank is wrapped in shrink wrap from the engine shop.

So, the long drawn out bargaining process went something like this:

"How much?"

"Give me good scrap price."

"Scrap ain't worth squat right now."

"Then it can sit until scrap goes back up."

Boy, he's got me over a barrel!

"O.K."

There. Its settled. He said I cold come back, we will dig the tractor out, search for parts, and anything Allis goes with the tractor.

As I was driving out there this morning, I was thinking I must be nuts. Buying a basket case with no tires, barely over half the engine, no radiator, I'm going to be so far into this tractor just to get it running. Oh well, this is my hobby....

So, we took all the trailer axles off and stacked them neatly nearby,

Then the fun part, wiggling it out of the back 40,

While we were towing it, I popped it into a gear or two, the input shaft started turning, and the straight cut gears made the familiar groaning sound, so at least I know that much about the trans and finals.

I dug the block out of the junk pile, he made me put the pile back together. I thought that was pretty funny.

We hauled everything out of the shed we could find, and laid it out. As we were working, he says "You know, there is a hood over there, it's orange, but I don't know what it fits. Its got a distillate tank on it, want to take a look?" YES.

SCORE.

Little while later he says "You know, there is a manifold in the shed over there but I don't know what it fits. Want to take a look?" YES.

SCORE.

Then we went and stripped the parts off the WD I thought I could use. Head, rockers, push tubes, side cover, fan blade, belt pulley, and PTO. He threw in some shutters that he doesn't know what they fit, another valve cover and set of rockers, and some other stuff. Made for a pretty good load.

Scrambled back to town in time to pick the boy up from school, he made me promise to bring the tractor to school. He needed to help unload it.

Tagged and bagged everything I took apart today, so I know where it goes.

So there. Got my project, and made a new friend to boot. He wants me to do a little work on his WD, and he has a jig for welding rims on spoke wheels, which I have been meaning to make to convert my steel wheeled plow to rubber. He is a pretty funny guy, same age as my dad, and acts and thinks just like him. Glad I got to spend the day with him, and I think he had a good time too. I gave him an Allis Connection calendar, and some venison snack sticks, I think he was more pleased with those than with the money!

My plan is to clean up the block and see if its been line bored, then build the engine over the winter, then next spring, get started on the tractor, maybe ready for paint next fall?

Thanks for looking!

Edited by littlemarv - 25 Aug 2017 at 9:40pm
The mechanic always wins.

B91131, WC23065, WD89101, CA29479, B1, Early B10, HB212, 416H
Sponsored Links

Dan73 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2015 at 9:34pm
Wow that is a really cool story you got there. Looks like you have some work ahead of you. I bet you and your son build some great memories along with a great tractor.   Keep us posted.
Chalmersbob View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chalmersbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2015 at 9:34pm
GOOD FIND
Enjoy working on it. 
Great project for you and your son to work on together. Bob

Edited by Chalmersbob - 16 Oct 2015 at 9:36pm
4 B's, 1 C's,3 CA's, 2 G's WD, D14, D15, B-1, B10, B12, 712S,
Dmpaul89 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dmpaul89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2015 at 9:39pm
Wow what an interesting story lol. Looks like you have your work cut out. sounds like one of my deals
macvette View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote macvette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2015 at 9:39pm
Well, how bout that. Man and machine finally meet. Quite a project. Thank goodness you are a mechanic!
Steve in NJ View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve in NJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2015 at 10:43pm
Only Tractor guys like us can find a carcass and take on the challenge of putting it together and getting it running from scrap! Good luck with your project. I'm sure it'll be a challange as well as fun to put it together. That's pretty funny. Parts over here, parts over there, and parts in the scrap pile!  LOL!
39'RC, 43'WC, 48'B, 49'G, 50'WF, 65 Big 10, 67'B-110, 75'716H, 2-620's, & a Motorhead wife
B26240 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote B26240 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2015 at 6:47am
littlemarv   I have two extra gas tanks for the unstyled wc's you are welcome to one of them your choice       FREE !! Anyone who will take on a challenge like you are doing should get some help from those of us with miss. parts collecting dust. BTW I'm just north of Grand Rapids MN 100 miles from Duluth. May have other small items if I look around.    Mark
TedBuiskerN.IL. View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TedBuiskerN.IL. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2015 at 7:05am
The seat on your tractor looks like a Knoedler after market.  Rides much better than a stock seat and is easily adjustable for the weight of the rider.
Most problems can be solved with the proper application of high explosives.
Hubnut View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hubnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2015 at 7:19am
I love it!  AND, more importantly, I'm glad others are as nuts as I am about this hobby.  Sometimes I wonder if I'm crazy for working on old tractors all weekend long--but I simply LOVE the hobby and relax while doing it.  Thank you for the post and keep us updated.
ac45dave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac45dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2015 at 7:40am
WOW!!!what a find and story.love to follow this kind of post.please by all means keep us all updated on the progress of this project.like to see lots of pics of the progress.
54 wd-45gas ; 56 wd-45d N/F w/fact p/s ; 63 d-17 sIII N/F gas ; 60 D14 N/F ; 67 d-17 sIV N/F gas ; 63D15 sII W/F; 39rc#667 ; 2021 massey 4710 fwa ; gravely 2 wheel tractors
KenBWisc View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KenBWisc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2015 at 8:11am
I have the correct seat and a few other parts if you need them. And, you know where I live! 
'34 WC #629, '49 G, '49 B, '49 WD, '62 D-19, '38 All Crop 60 and still hunting!
grateful1micelf View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grateful1micelf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2015 at 9:12am
very cool find. that will be so rewarding as you go and in the end to see the progress as you bring that thing back to life. can't wait to see some more pics. Wink
1955 WD45 (1st and only tractor i've owned..for now)
Alberta Phil View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alberta Phil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2015 at 9:34am
Great project and a good story!  As Steve mentioned, old tractor guys and hot rodders can usually see treasure where others see only junk!! 
Fred in Pa View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fred in Pa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2015 at 9:36am
U are a PICKER
He who dies with the most toys is,
nonetheless ,still dead.
If all else fails ,Read all that is PRINTED.
FloydKS View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FloydKS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2015 at 10:02am
and when you get the tractor going you will be a 'grinner'
pickin and grinnin
Holding a grudge is like taking poison and expecting the other person to die
Steve in NJ View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve in NJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2015 at 11:27am
Well, you see Doc, this guy had this scrap WC, and I couldn't help myself..... LOL  I remember when my buddy Tom and I pulled "Alice" my Model B outta' the Adirondack woods and literaly dragged it down the mountain in the snow (back brakes had ice in them) with his Kobota 4x4 and all the way down the timber road to his house. The right brake broke loose on the way, but the left one was still draggin' by the time we got to his farm. It was February and it was a warm spell up there in the mountains at about 12 degrees. If anyone though that I was outta' my mind, it was my ex-wife at the time! She thought the two of us should have our heads examined. Put a Salamader heater on the left fiinal and went in for lunch. Came out, and the final warmed up enough to push it in his 5 bay garage. Talk about the start of a challenge! My first Tractor, and I had a ball doing it. Motor was stuck tighter than a crabs butt, but got it apart and rebuilt the whole darn Tractor. The following summer, I took my skeptical wife at the time for a ride on it. She really didn't have anything to say that time. That was 16 years ago already, and still have "Alice".  JoAnna on the other hand is a 180 degree's. When I bring home a carcass, she wants to know when its gonna be done so she can rip around on it! Thumbs Up Being she's a collector herself, she can appreciate that there is a "gem" there once some TLC is put into it. She's seen a few of these "projects" of mine come together over the past 6-7 years and can't get over the outcome of them. It sure helps when you have the support as well as interest in your hobbies from your spouse!!  This wife is a keeper!  Thumbs UpThumbs Up
39'RC, 43'WC, 48'B, 49'G, 50'WF, 65 Big 10, 67'B-110, 75'716H, 2-620's, & a Motorhead wife
JC-WI View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JC-WI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2015 at 1:13pm
Littlemarv, i see you have a WD flywheel and ring gear... now do yourself a favor, go back and get the starter bell housing and be able to electric start the tractor when you decide cranking isn't as much fun, and far safer using a switch.  good luck on your project.
He who says there is no evil has already deceived himself
The truth is the truth, sugar coated or not. Trawler II says, "Remember that."
Sugarmaker View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2015 at 1:33pm
Awesome story and pictures of a tractor that was so close to being gone! Rescued! Yes you will spend a bunch getting it back together and you may need to buy a parts tractor.
 Most of the tearing down is already done! Yes post pictures as you get it home and start the process. I have never done one with so many parts not accounted for. It always seems to me I need that one little thing.
I love having a parts tractor around too!
Regards,
 Chris
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
Tim NH View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim NH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2015 at 4:15pm
Hey littlemarv. I could tell last summer you were hot for a WC when you and your son went by on this borrowed WC. If you remember, it wasn't to long after I took the picture, that electric start would have been nice to have. Its going to be a lot of work, but you've got help. Tim
1950 WD 1959 D14 1955 WD45 1976 7000 B 207
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2015 at 5:30pm
Love the picture! A little buffing and the one you pulled from the junk pile will look like that too!
Regards,
Chris
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
Alex09(WI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alex09(WI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2015 at 8:08pm
We have seen the before picture, and I'm sure we all will be looking forward to the "after" picture. Glad to hear it is going back together and not to China! Good luck with the tractor!
www.awtractor.com
A&W TRACTOR 920-598-1287
KEEPING ALLIS-CHALMERS IN THE FIELDS THROUGH THE 21ST CENTURY
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote littlemarv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2015 at 7:31am
When I got to drive that WC at Hutch, I said "That's it. I WILL have one of these". As you can see in the unloading pic, I picked up the plow already.
Thanks for all the advice guys, I really appreciate it. I'm going to try and get as close to original as I can, but it won't be perfect, so correct police can shake their heads and waggle their fingers, I don't care.

Sugarmaker and I think alike- its already taken apart! I was going to do that anyways, now I don't have to. Just gotta clean and measure everything, and the engine should go together pretty good.

I'm pretty excited to get going on this, but before I go get the chrome lug nuts caps to finish it off, I should probably see if the crank fits in the block, huh?

My plan goes like his: Engine work and all other small items over the winter. Replace trans input seal and install engine and radiator in spring. Get tractor operational and list all needed parts so I have a shopping list at Hutch, my best bet for getting all parts at once. Then tear down and paint about this time next year. Pretty presumptuous,huh?

I will keep you guys up to speed, don't worry. I have questions about stuff from the hand crank to the drawbar, and all points in-between.

Thanks for looking!

Dan73 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2015 at 7:37am
Great plan but I agree with the guys staying to look for the way to add a starter. Those hand cranks scare me. I love the old tractors but my grandfather always said if it doesn't have a starter pull it with one that does.
Redwood View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Redwood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2015 at 7:58am
Just a word on one of my regrets, is cleaning an rust removal. I wish I had sent the whole thing to a sand blaster. I have nearly as much invested in sand paper, wire wheels, degreaser, cleaner thinner, rags,ect. And be the time I find enough time from work I need more rust removal to be able to paint. If I had sent it for rust removalI could have primed the whole thing in a fraction of the time for not much more. And yes every time you spend ten or twenty dollars it adds up. every trip to the hardware store is 50 or 60. But that is my regret others my feel different and my have more time. Just started painting. Will be some time before assembly
GaryL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GaryL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2015 at 9:47am
I still have some bits and pieces left over from a parted WC and need to post more pics of the other small parts.  So, you can keep that in mind, if needed.
Gerald J. View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerald J. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2015 at 10:40am
You will need parts book, shop manual, and operator's manual. Find them on line at:

http://www.grandpastractor.com/kunena/allis-chalmers-tractors.html

Gerald J.

HudCo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HudCo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2015 at 11:04am
great story,  those projects are the  best  those fenders look cherry 
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2015 at 6:09pm
Yea that WC that Gary L has would be a great parts tractor.
The cleaning on these projects is a major task. And I agree that if you can get some of the parts blasted it can save you bunches of time and dollars. And is better than you can clean them too. I used blasting for rear rims. I would suggest that you look at a electrolysis tank for cleaning rust too. Its a much slower process but the cost is low.
 Regards,
 Chris
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote littlemarv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2015 at 7:18pm
I put the front end up on a stand I made for splitting a WD awhile back. Put the back up on blocks to keep the rims off the ground. I think I will crack the drain plugs on the trans and rear end to drain off any water, and cover up the shift tower somehow as the boot is junk. Then I will consider this chassis winterized.

Is this hitch a common aftermarket thing, or a different Allis hitch, or a really good homemade one?

I will probably start a new post on the engine build, thanks for all the help so far!

Edited by littlemarv - 25 Aug 2017 at 9:43pm

Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2015 at 6:52am
WOW!!!
What a story and a GOOD time and a GREAT FIND!!
Have a great time with your son working on this and building memories....
I agree, what a laugh!  Parts over here and over here and......
Keep us up to date and with pics!!

I've never seen a hitch like that one, but then I haven't see too many unstyled WCs.
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
  Share Topic