This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Fiat Allis L10B

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote juan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fiat Allis L10B
    Posted: 01 Oct 2016 at 7:21am
 Hello Friends Thanksyou very much . Well my problem is with the iinstalaccion of engine and converter assy  in the tractor chassis  But There are a problem, the converter housing  is more larger that the pasage into the tractor body!  My question is :
Anybody have any prosess for the engine instalaccion WITH the converter? Or is nessesary  remove the converter housing and instalate in the chassis and after put the engine ?    Thanks      Juan
Cry
Sponsored Links

Ian Beale View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ian Beale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2016 at 9:54pm
Juan

You need a copy of FL 10 - FL 10B crawler loader and 10 - 10B dozer Service manual

Print No 604.06.077 - English

Or more recent.

The section "Engine to remove" has as "Step 7 Disconnect the torque converter assembly as described on page 61".  Which doesn't sound good.

To do this you have to remove the pedal support cross member and the pipe and pump works attached to the converter.

I've never done this on our dozer but you might be able to take out the whole dash panel at the front of the cockpit and get both engine and converter in that way?

Ian Beale View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ian Beale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2016 at 9:59pm
The converter comes out the top without removing the engine first.

Also the manual has you remove the whole radiator assembly / nose cone - I forgot to mention that.  Maybe that gives a bit more wriggle room?

I've just had a quick look at our dozer (which is a converter model) - limited as we have the engine side screens on.  I took the front LHS floor plate off though.  Looks like it ought to come out as a unit.  I'd have to remove the blade cylinder hydraulic lines first at least as they're inside the frame.

The dozer section has you remove the whole dash panel to clear the works to get the master clutch out - you  lay it back on the front of the seat.  Doesn't specifically mention anything different for the ones with a converter.

Hope this helps

Edited by Ian Beale - 01 Oct 2016 at 10:50pm
juan View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote juan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2016 at 3:45pm
juan View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote juan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2016 at 4:01pm
 My friend  IAN  i followed your indications and the engine in now in the chassis:  After remove  the cross bar and pedal ,Hydraulic pump  there are suficient room for do the task. First  down the converter to the botom of chasis linked a chain from the ceiling cab, later install the engine ,and use long screw  for center the converter housing was shut by hand whit engine. Tight  the screw around the bell housing adn the work is in happy end .  Thanskyou for your assistance   Greeting     ( Juan   From Montevideo Uruguay )
Ian Beale View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ian Beale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2016 at 3:18am
Juan

Glad it worked.

Get one of those manuals if you can.  They are about as good as I've met at not having too much for you to imagine between the lines.

Otherwise feel free to ask.

Might add - I've never seen a loader here in Oz and  not too many of the dozers.  But I was once told by a dealer "A FA 10 eh.  Not many for sale and usually not for long"
juan View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote juan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2016 at 5:42pm
Dear Ian ,In Uruguay thereare many  Fiat Allis  and Allis chalmer agricultural machines     But the Fl10b is from Brasil , with a engine Fiat and converter Twin disc, Moreover the post generation of machines  Fiat Allis install Cummins due the poor durability and congenit trouble of Fiat engine .  This one is a survivor because the people reemplase the engines Fiat by Mercedes , Cummins , MWM  and Perkins  I await than engine running OK and work good   Greeting       Juan
Ian Beale View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ian Beale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2016 at 5:47pm
Ian Beale View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ian Beale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2016 at 6:22pm
Now I know how blank posts show up - that one above just happened!

Juan

What engine are you using then? 

There was a small line of FD 20 A's with Cummins engines appeared  used at one stage - I think out of South Korea. 

A couple of FD 30's with Fiat engines in our area and a few FD 20s and 14s. Ours is the only 10 that I know of around here.

It helps to have a manual as Fiat and Alfa have a habit of doing things different - not necessarily crazy but different.  Like the gear drive to the oil pumps in FD 20's as a local found out - eventually.  As with fitting liners and their piston fits.  And head gasket tensioning on Alfa 4 cylinder engines - when they say final tensioning cold they mean COLD.

I haven't heard of any problems with that CP3 engine in the 10 series.  Ours got dusted not long before we got it so is relatively younger than the machine.  Plenty of power and economical - about 10 litres per hour at full revs in any work.

I horrify people used to older US type machines by telling them that the easiest way to get to the fan and alternator is to take the radiator out.  Which is true - but not that bad with the automotive style radiator.  BTW you DO need the rubber seal around the outside of the radiator.  I've made up a heavier front grille for stick protection.  2 pins and it swings open for blowing out, 2 more and it is off.  And manufactured a set of engine guards factory style to keep most of the sticks from falling into the sump guard.

One thing I was warned.  It uses a deckless block (seems an Italian engineering tradition as Alfa Romeo engines were the same), so a lot of the head gasket is in water.  Over time the outer metal cracks, lets water into the matrix and rusts the fire rings from inside.  Took about 15 years on ours.  Was a matter of lifting the head, cleaning things up as needed and replacing the gasket.  Naturally happened about as far from base as possible on this ranch.

Other than that no problems - fingers crossed. 

Same CP3 engine was used in some NH tractors - as was the 4 cylinder version IIRC.

juan View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote juan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2016 at 6:16pm
juan View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote juan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2016 at 7:11pm
Dear IAN,: the tractor  engine is a CP3/100 Yes OK , is  engine that good perfomance and economy i fuel ,but  is problematic whit the  linner system  , upper part  free Only support  in the inferior block cavity .  This presents a great area of head gasket into the water that rusted and ruined de  Head gasket doing the water go into the engine .  A time a go; a wheel loader Benati with a CP3  to beguin burn Head gasket . The linner  are not steady and was lost the level  with the blok  I want repair te engine in the local machine shop  But Our costumer.  the owner of the Machine,  buy a new Perkins 6.354 F4 and adapte this engine And The Fiat  go to scrap , Here in my country was many Fiat Truck  130 ,  140  To day find one is rare has a veteran of ww1!  Yes is a good engine , But plenty  of problem Linners ,Head Gasket  and  the long long  screw   block to head  living into the water  A realist condition  for a problem      Greeting           Juan
Ian Beale View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ian Beale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2016 at 5:30am
Juan

Thanks. 

The other support is against the head so if your liner protrusion isn't enough heading to hell in a handbasket. 

Again the manual takes you through liner protrusion and shimming to get it right.  Even has rebore data for your liners and piston fit needed.

I think you'll find the other end of the head studs hold the main bearings.  Must have been poor cooling system attention to get them that bad - or I've been lucky with previous owners.  And by some of the scars - - .

Nothing wrong with a Perkins either.
juan View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote juan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2016 at 6:30pm
juan View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote juan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2016 at 6:32pm
juan View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote juan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2016 at 6:51pm
 Dear Ian ,iam very gratefull for your attention   Mi Life in the repair shop be came many years ago in my childress  whit my father  a old mechanic of agicultural machines  My first contac  whith a  Allis Chalmer was a tractor model U gasoline engine   Latter in my military life  whith  Allis Chalmer military Buldozer M1 GM 4.71 engine  and HD 10. 6. 71  Exellent machines. The latter Allis Chalmer was  a little farm tractor  as  a Farmall cub  I dont remenber the model . The Fiat Allis  the HD14  Cummins engine ( Brazil) .To day  a old ( 68.) continue working   now in any machines  New Holland and   Caterpillar  This is my actual life around the american Iron       Your trully     Juan

Ian Beale View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ian Beale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2016 at 7:22pm
Juan

Thanks.  Mechanicals is one of my hobbies (just as well on a ranch).  The last big one was resurecting an AC 45 grader to useable (I didn't say restored!) condition.

One son was trained as a diesel man via the Cat system so I have back-up.

Out of interest - can you step us through what you had to adapt to get a Perkins in?  I'm guessing you would have had to use the Fiat flywheel?
juan View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote juan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2016 at 8:02am
 Hello! , The Benati  Wheel loader has a flexible coupling for a converter to flywheel, and adapte  the Perkins Flywheel  turning a little the face of fly and making new  drill holes to support the converter flexible  plate  The bell housing is a SAE form coincident whit a Perkins engine , The  general perfomance this  machine in the working area was superior to Fiat engine for my satifaccion and the my customer Mr Manuel .   2 )The flywheel is proper of the engine and NOT is recomendable the use in other engine ,because the fiat engine GO OUT complete  I don use nothing . Only the radiator

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic