This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

DOT regulations

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
JoeM(GA) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeM(GA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2016 at 8:39am
Originally posted by Fred in Pa Fred in Pa wrote:

When I done what I was told I need ,I ask now I am legal .

I was told ,Well ,I ( person I was talking to ) am a Interpreter of the Law.

When you get pulled over that Officer is the in-forcer of the law,it all plays out with situation at hand ,ETC,ETC,.

After several years of having our trailers stopped at the dealer I worked at in Atlanta, our owner asked for and got an enforcement officer to come and look at all 12 of our trucks and trailers. He pointed out a few thinks he "liked " to see, pointed out what was "wrong
in his eyes" (his words) and said fix those and we'd be good to go. Less than 24 hours later one was on the side of I-75 getting picked apart for things that the other said were OK. I fully believe it is however the officer chooses for it to be.
I have been stopped several times through the years, my lights always work, brakes & break-a-way too, I keep triangles, extinguisher in arms reach. One stopped me in Alabama on the way to the G roundup just because he didn't like nylon straps. I explained that a G is about 1,600 lbs, and I had four 3,300lb working load straps holding it down. I explained that I tie all my equipment down like I cannot afford to loose it, which I can't! I always make sure my straps aren't worn or cut, and the DOT compliant tags are on them and readable. My chains, ratchet binders, and hooks are all stamped G70. All you can do is try to do it right. And I didn't get a ticket, but his parting words were "I like chains", which I agree with for everything I have larger that the G's.

I too hope to be at the Boonville show, I'd love to hear what they have to say, but I'd really hate to be pulling away from that show with a trailer after someone was foolish enough to "go off" on a Law Enforcement Officer! Go ahead son, poke that dog see if he'll bite! LOL!!! Not what our hobby needs!
JMHO

Allis Express North Georgia
41 WC,48 UC Cane,7-G's,
Ford 345C TLB
Sponsored Links

Don(MO) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Don(MO) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2016 at 8:49am
Thanks to all that responded to my idea to have a DOT officer come to talk about the laws. I was thinking about having a retired DOT officer come for the same that was posted above, that's where the costs came from, he hates what the DOT has turned into.
I thought you might like to find out true. I'm sorry to have posted this bad idea and was not trying to start a war over it just trying to help. So let's go play with tractors.lol
I'll try to just keep my pie hole closed.  
3 WD45's with power steering,G,D15 fork lift,D19, W-Speed Patrol, "A" Gleaner with a 330 corn head,"66" combine,roto-baler, and lots of Snap Coupler implements to make them work for their keep.

JoeM(GA) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeM(GA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2016 at 9:52am
Not a bad idea Don, "Knowledge is Wealth" hey, heard that somewhere before!
Allis Express North Georgia
41 WC,48 UC Cane,7-G's,
Ford 345C TLB
rodnil View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rodnil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2016 at 10:16am
It was not my intent to cause trouble with what I've posted on this subject. Don, if your intent was to invite a former DOT officer to Booneville and charge us an admission fee, I'm all for it and would pay to hear his remarks. He will be like me though, talking about what it was like when we were there. That will be good information . History is good to review but it's the present and future that is and will be the problem. Remember that government regulation never go away or get small. By design they grow and grow. And I'll open another can of worms for thought and conversation, "INSURANCE" as required by FED DOT. My truck is a 2002 FORD 7.3 F-550 Crew Cab 4x4 GVWR 17,500 lbs. and it's my daily driver. When I retired I wanted a new truck and this truck was what I thought would be good for towing and it was no bigger than a Ford F-350 in outward appearance just in GVWR. My 1995 bumper hitch trailer is 24 ft. long and GVWR of 14,000 lbs. When I was told by DOT that I should get a DOT number I went to my insurance agent and told him I was thinking of getting a DOT number . He said that with the DOT number my currant insurance company would no longer issue me a policy. This combination currently cost me around $1,000 a year. I made some inquires with insurance companies that would insure me with a DOT number. The cheapest was $6,600 a year and went as high as $11,200 a year. This insurance coverage is necessary because you will be hauling for hire. "REMEMBER" if you so much as receive a ribbon for attending a tractor show or your life long friend buys your supper for hauling his/her tractor to the show with yours the FED DOT says that RIBBON and or meal or anything you would receive for hauling no matter how small or large it is compensation and thus you are in the furtherance of a commercial enterprise. The Coverage price I was quoted was for $750,000 to cover the vehicles and the coverage of cargo. This is the minimum amount of coverage the FED DOT requires. The agent then asked what I was intending to haul and I told him I would be hauling my antique tractors to shows. Well then he said that requires your coverage to be increased to $1,000,000. Why such an increase was my question to him. He said that increase was required by the FED EPA as now I would be hauling hazardous materials. WHAT ??? EPA said such things as a tractor contains OIL,FUEL or GASOLINE and thus I was hauling hazardous materials. Ladies and gentlemen I ask you, where does this stuff end ? Do some checking with you insurance company ,yours may be different than mine but I doubt it, then I live in Illinois. In all seriousness I'm at this point in my life with all of these regulations and laws that can effect me going to something as small as a tractor show that I begin to think maybe I should sell my collection. On second thought , Hell no!! I'm staying to the very end. Just my 2 cents, from a guy OUT THERE. RODNEY
CTuckerNWIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CTuckerNWIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2016 at 10:16am
I also think it's a good idea. We had a local DOT guy come to a club meeting at AE-TA a couple years ago and he dispelled some myths about hauling but, like said before, it depends on how the ocifer stopping you feels, what side of the bed he got out on and how HE interprets the law. I think the worst thing you can do is argue with him or try to read him the regulations from the "book".
 Keep it clean and neat and make sure lights work, and hope for the best.
http://www.ae-ta.com
Lena 1935 WC12xxx, Willie 1951 CA6xx Dad bought new, 1954WD45 PS, 1960 D17 NF
NDBirdman View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NDBirdman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2016 at 10:34am
I have an '05 F250 and haul an H&H trailer, tandem axles.  I do have plates on the trailer, not commercial.  The ID plate says it is rated to 9,975 lbs, was told this is to stay under 10,001 lbs but the trailer is built to handle much more weight.  I use it mostly to haul logs I pull home to cut up for firewood.  Sometimes I haul my tractors on it (WC & WD).  Elect brakes/battery emerg. brake on it also.  My truck has DAV tags on it.  If I was to pull my trailer back to say, IN to pick up a tractor, WD45, D-19 or such, do I need to have DOT on truck trailer now?  Everything I do is for personal, not for hire or for sale.  It's strictly hobby, well, occasionally hay work but I do it and get payed in hay/straw for my personal use.  Do I need to worry about the revenuers (DOT, cops, etc)?

I'm thinking the DAV tags might get me in trouble doing this.

Edited by NDBirdman - 23 Feb 2016 at 10:37am
1955 WD45 S#205467, 190XT #6652 DXT
DougS View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DougS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2016 at 10:41am
Just be aware, NDBirdman, that if you get stopped and your trailer and load weighs 9,976 pounds or more they can cite you for having an overloaded trailer. Will they? Probably not. Just sayin', though.
NDBirdman View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NDBirdman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2016 at 11:23am
I've worried about that.  I don't know what an 18-20 inch diameter, 6 to 8 foot ash and oak log weights, but I figure I've been over weight too many times.  I load around 8 on front half, 8 or 10 on back half.  It's a 26ft trailer.  I try to load it so the trailer locks balanced just in-case I get looked at.  I did build sides all around, 32 inches high with 2x8s so the load is hard but not impossible to see.  The side also let me haul dirt/gravel etc. on it. (with tarp laid down, don't want to sand vehicles on the hiway)  On the days I cut the logs 18 inches long for firewood before hauling, the load is up almost to the top of the sides, front to back.  Yea, I know that day I was pushing way too much, glad I did not get stopped.  That would have been bad.

Edited by NDBirdman - 23 Feb 2016 at 11:26am
1955 WD45 S#205467, 190XT #6652 DXT
Brian Jasper co. Ia View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian Jasper co. Ia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2016 at 12:38pm
http://www.iowadot.gov/mvd/motorcarriers/truckguide.pdf
Iowa uses Federal regulations. On page 11 there is a flow chart to determine if you need a CDL or not. 10001 lbs by itself is not the determining factor.
https://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/registration/do-i-need-usdot-number
The Federal DOT has a handy determining link to see if you need a DOT number or not.
"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian." Henry Ford
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian Jasper co. Ia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2016 at 12:42pm
Any more I'd recommend carrying a 49 CFR with you. In the event of being stopped and the officer says one thing you can show him where he's wrong.
"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian." Henry Ford
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian Jasper co. Ia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2016 at 12:47pm
What would be really good is if we could get someone from J.J. Keller to put on the seminar. DOT compliance is their business.
CAL(KS) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CAL(KS) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2016 at 12:52pm
https://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/registration/do-i-need-usdot-number

If you click on the "Do I Need a DOT Number" yellow buttom it will ask questions to see if you need to apply.

No mention of 10,000lb or more vehicle there but if you read below it says----

You are required to obtain a USDOT number if you have a vehicle that:

Is used in transporting material found by the Secretary of Transportation to be hazardous and transported in a quantity requiring placarding (whether interstate or intrastate).
OR

Has a gross vehicle weight rating or gross combination weight rating, or gross vehicle weight or gross combination weight, of 4,536 kg (10,001 pounds) or more, whichever is greater; or
Is designed or used to transport more than 8 passengers (including the driver) for compensation; or
Is designed or used to transport more than 15 passengers, including the driver, and is not used to transport passengers for compensation;
AND is involved in Interstate commerce:

Trade, traffic, or transportation in the United States—

Between a place in a State and a place outside of such State (including a place outside of the United States);
Between two places in a State through another State or a place outside of the United States; or
Between two places in a State as part of trade, traffic, or transportation originating or terminating outside the State or the United States.
You are required by FMCSA to obtain USDOT Number and comply with the Federal Regulations.

How to Comply with Federal Regulations
It is the responsibility of motor carrier operators and drivers to know and comply with all applicable Federal Motor Carrier Safety Regulations. Safety compliance and safe operations translate into saved lives and property.  We believe the information in this package, when effectively applied, will contribute to safer motor carrier operations and highways.

Me -C,U,UC,WC,WD45,190XT,TL-12,145T,HD6G,HD16,HD20

Dad- WD, D17D, D19D, RT100A, 7020, 7080,7580, 2-8550's, 2-S77, HD15
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian Jasper co. Ia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2016 at 1:15pm
That's how I read it too. It starts with the are you commercial or private question. I haven't yet found it for sure, but one of the 10001 requirements may be an annual inspection on the trailer is required.
Charlie175 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlie175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2016 at 2:06pm
Originally posted by NDBirdman NDBirdman wrote:

I'm thinking the DAV tags might get me in trouble doing this.

Depends on your state, here in Virginia you need "weighted" tags. This means you pay for the weight you want to have. I'm plated for 22,000 lbs combined, which is about $200 a year for plates.

Charlie

'48 B, '51 CA, '56 WD45 '61 D17, '63 D12, '65 D10 , '68 One-Ninety XTD
DougS View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DougS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2016 at 3:27pm
Originally posted by Charlie175 Charlie175 wrote:

Depends on your state, here in Virginia you need "weighted" tags. This means you pay for the weight you want to have. I'm plated for 22,000 lbs combined, which is about $200 a year for plates.

^^^This. As I said before, it all depends on your state. This may or may not follow you when you cross state lines. years ago you could haul a load of nay weight, no matter, as long as you had a farm plate. The thing was that even a city slicker could get a farm plate. The downside was that you could do NO commercial hauling if you had a farm plate. Mileage may have changed on this one. CFR rules are federal and apply to interstate traffic. I have no idea how they apply to each individual state.
Lonn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lonn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2016 at 4:38pm
What will it all look like in another 10 or 20 years? They are slowly extinguishing the small guy.
-- --- .... .- -- -- .- -.. / .-- .- ... / .- / -- ..- .-. -.. . .-. .. -. --. / -.-. .... .. .-.. -.. / .-. .- .--. .. ... -
Wink
I am a Russian Bot
DougS View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DougS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2016 at 4:43pm
Originally posted by DougS DougS wrote:

Originally posted by Charlie175 Charlie175 wrote:

^^^This. As I said before, it all depends on your state. This may or may not follow you when you cross state lines. years ago you could haul a load of nay weight, no matter, as long as you had a farm plate. The thing was that even a city slicker could get a farm plate. The downside was that you could do NO commercial hauling if you had a farm plate. Mileage may have changed on this one. CFR rules are federal and apply to interstate traffic. I have no idea how they apply to each individual state.

Edit: Years ago when I lived I Nebraska.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic