Forum Description: everything about Allis-Chalmers farm equipment
URL: https://www.allischalmers.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=119222
Printed Date: 28 Sep 2024 at 12:19am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.10 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: DOT regulations
Posted By: Bradleytrench
Subject: DOT regulations
Date Posted: 19 Feb 2016 at 7:55pm
A buddy of mine posted a link to DOT regulations for Exemptions on motorsports trailers. I wonder if hauling your tractor to tractor shows fall under the same regulations as motorsports trailers? Here's the link. http://semasan.com/page.asp?content=DOT/UCR_Registration&g=SEMAGA" rel="nofollow - http://semasan.com/page.asp?content=DOT/UCR_Registration&g=SEMAGA

Replies:
Posted By: SHAMELESS
Date Posted: 20 Feb 2016 at 3:34am
regulations on trailers? hummmmmm....wonder if'n I could gits sum DOT numbers printed on that magnetic stuff and just swit....uh....nevermind...

Posted By: Dave in PA
Date Posted: 20 Feb 2016 at 5:35am
Ya do it with the plates!!

Posted By: Rick143
Date Posted: 20 Feb 2016 at 5:48am
Your trailer needs to be licensed but if you are only hauling your own equipment you don't need a dot number on the tow vehicle. But if you haul a buddies equipment technically you should.   But the beauty of farm equipment is there are no titles so you can always say it's yours.

Posted By: B26240
Date Posted: 20 Feb 2016 at 6:48am
It all boils down to "are you doing it for money"

Posted By: GaryL
Date Posted: 20 Feb 2016 at 7:32am
Originally posted by Rick143 Rick143 wrote:

Your trailer needs to be licensed but if you are only hauling your own equipment you don't need a dot number on the tow vehicle. But if you haul a buddies equipment technically you should.   But the beauty of farm equipment is there are no titles so you can always say it's yours.

Trailers don't need a license in Oklahoma.  The drawback to that is the rampant trailer thefts.

Posted By: Don(MO)
Date Posted: 20 Feb 2016 at 9:04am
I was talking to Bobby about this and he looked up this INFO and posted so you guys can have the right INFO from the "DOT" and not the half-trues and sometimes out and out wrong INFO.
One little thing you guys might be missing is that it all changes when you cross the state line. I'd look at this long and hard before saying this is not about my truck and trailer; it will not help you at the scales and that old saying I have not been ticketed yet so it's all good will get you no help out of the DOT. I'm not trying to be a butt just tying to help stop the BS that's out there on the DOT and hauling tractors to shows. I was in trucking in a big way for over 30 years and have set across the table for the DOT, so it's a been that done it fact you will not win with them, I have seen fines of over $10,000 and time in jail of 10 years for been wrong please don't find out the hard way.

-------------
3 WD45's with power steering,G,D15 fork lift,D19, W-Speed Patrol, "A" Gleaner with a 330 corn head,"66" combine,roto-baler, and lots of Snap Coupler implements to make them work for their keep.

Posted By: Gerald J.
Date Posted: 20 Feb 2016 at 9:21am
Some states consider going to a tractor pull with money prizes as commercial and so regulated as commercial. Hauling to a show without prizes isn't commercial. Hauling farm to farm fits the farm exclusion for commercial license requirement.

Gerald J.

Posted By: darrel in ND
Date Posted: 20 Feb 2016 at 9:25am
I can maybe see someone getting a 10 K ticket for being grossly overweight and having equipment malfunctions out the a$$, but what would get you 10 years. ..? Darrel

Posted By: DougG
Date Posted: 20 Feb 2016 at 9:53am
That's what I was thinking Darrell,,, dang

Posted By: CTuckerNWIL
Date Posted: 20 Feb 2016 at 10:05am
Here is the part where they get a farmer for hauling grain to town even though it is in state and short haul.
You are required to obtain a DOT number if you have a vehicle that:
is involved in “interstate commerce,” which is defined as:Between two places in a State as part of trade, traffic, or transportation originating or terminating outside the State or the United States.

Haul grain to Bunge at the river terminal 4 miles away, and it gets shipped down the river and across the ocean, and it CAN be considered “interstate commerce,”

Depends on what side of the bed the DOT officer got out of that morning.

-------------
http://www.ae-ta.com" rel="nofollow - http://www.ae-ta.com
Lena 1935 WC12xxx, Willie 1951 CA6xx Dad bought new, 1954WD45 PS, 1960 D17 NF

Posted By: Stan IL&TN
Date Posted: 20 Feb 2016 at 10:23am
It also depends on the size of trailer too. Size matters.

-------------
1957 WD45 dad's first AC

1968 one-seventy

1956 F40 Ferguson

Date Posted: 20 Feb 2016 at 10:41am
our "farm" plates here allow us 150 miles from the home address

Posted By: GaryL
Date Posted: 20 Feb 2016 at 11:12am
Originally posted by CTuckerNWIL CTuckerNWIL wrote:

Here is the part where they get a farmer for hauling grain to town even though it is in state and short haul.
is involved in “interstate commerce,” which is defined as:Between two places in a State as part of trade, traffic, or transportation originating or terminating outside the State or the United States.

Haul grain to Bunge at the river terminal 4 miles away, and it gets shipped down the river and across the ocean, and it CAN be considered “interstate commerce,”

Something is not right in your statement.  Interstate Commerce means among or between States (two or more).  Intrastate commerce is commerce conducted inside a Cparticular State. 

If a DOT official is considering a farmer hauling grain a few miles as Interstate Commerce, then I believe he is grasping at straws and inappropriately applying the Interstate Commerce clause with a wide brush.

Date Posted: 20 Feb 2016 at 11:27am
Stan you bring up a good point. In the FMCSA manual under section 390.5 which is the definitions section: Commercial Motor Vehicle means any self-propelled or towed motor vehicle used on a highway in Interstate commerce to transport passengers or property when the vehicle ---- subsection 1 Has a gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) or gross combination weight, of 10,001 lbs or more, whichever is greater.

So with that said if your trailer has a GVWR of 10,001 lbs in FMCSA eyes you're considered a commercial vehicle.

Now under FMCSA 390.3 sub section F part 3: The "occasional" transportation of personal property by individuals not for compensation nor in the furtherance of commercial enterprise. If you go to a tractor pull, car show, or tractor show, or any show at all; no moneys are exchanged for prizes or you have no sponsorships you are exempt from being considered a Commercial Motor Vehicle as long as you stay IntrAstate.

Once you travel outside of your home base state, now you fall under interstate commerce Right out of the FMCSA book: If you are a Private Carrier hauling your own products across state lines with a Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) or Gross Combination Weight Ratings (GCWR) of 10,001-lbs or above, you will need a USDOT number / DOT number. In addition, if your gross weight or combined gross weights exceed 26,000-lbs when crossing state lines, you will need to register for an IRP license plate / Apprtioned license plate, IFTA fuel tax and Unified Carrier Registration (UCR), and Commercial Drivers License (CDL) class is dependent upon Commercial Motor Vehicle.   

Not trying to be a butt, Just putting the information out there.

Posted By: IL D-Series +
Date Posted: 20 Feb 2016 at 11:28am
Iowa DOT . If you cross state line , must have a DOT #visible on your truck, valid medical card,combination plate weight to cover what your hauling ,NOTHING can hang over side of trailer ,and an up to date log book .  FYI , stay away from Iowa !!!

Posted By: KY poorboy
Date Posted: 20 Feb 2016 at 11:35am
Been thru all this with the DOT already. If the combination of the gvw of your truck and trailer together are 10,001 pounds or over, you are required, even if only hauling your own product or toy or empty trailer, to have a DOT number, and name of business, farm, or your own name, and in some states, the gvw of truck, trailer and load, all on your truck in large enough print as to be able to read grow a minimum of 50 feet.
You are also required to have a medical card if the gvw is 10,001 pounds or more.
If you are in such a vehicle or combo, you are to keep a log book if traveling over 100 miles from home base.
I have been stopped several times, the second thing they will ask you is where are you coming from, and where are you headed. Ofcourse the first question is for your license and registration. I know a LOT of people that got tickets for not having a medical card too.
Farmers are exempt from several laws, but the ones above we are not exempt from.
When you get a DOT number, you will eventually be audited. There is a lot of paperwork that you have to keep up with and have on file. I have an interstate DOT number, and 2 years after I got my number, two federal DOT officers came here from San Antonio, TX and audited me. They aren't too bad the first time, but you better have everything the second time they come around. Mostly maintainance records on every truck and every trailer, every time you serviced, repaired, put on tires, etc, are supposed to be on file, and dates each were put into service. And every truck and trailer has to have a DOT inspection every year. This runs into money if you have several.
If you haul commercially, there are many more requirements.
I run farm tags on all pickups, and farm limited on all my semis. I am allowed to go anywhere with the pickups, and legal to go within a 150 mile radius of home on the semi tags.
If you haul anything for someone else, you are supposed to have commercial tags and all the above, and a CDL. But as said earlier, farm equipment is not titled, so if stopped, "it is mine". And they WILL ask. LOL
In the state of KY, any trailer over 16' is supposed to be licensed if for farm use, and all trailers are supposed to be if personal or commercial use.
HERE, they are writing tickets all the time to these guys in a pickup pulling a trailer with lawnmowers on them, and saying it is a business so they have to have a DOT number, trailer liscense, medical card and a CDL.
Oh yea, you have to have a fire extinguisher and emergency triangles in every truck also. My last ticket was for not having my fire ext. in my pickup. I used the one in the combine and put mine in it that day and forgot to put it back in the truck. I was pulling an empty gooseneck, they pulled me over for a spot check, and ofcourse I got a ticket for not having it.

Date Posted: 20 Feb 2016 at 11:43am
The Fines right out of the FMCSA handbook: Evasion of compliance-- Attempting to evade compliance with regulations--- fines are at least $2000 but not more than $5000 for the first violation and at least $2500 but not more than $7500 for a subsequent violation.

Violation of Commercial regulations ---- Operating a commercial vehicle transporting of property without complying with registration requirements----- Minimum $10,000 per violation

Posted By: KY poorboy
Date Posted: 20 Feb 2016 at 11:57am
If you pull a trailer, and the gcvw of the truck and trailer are 10,001 pounds or more, and hauling your own property, and within your home state, you are not considered commercial, but you still need a DOT number and a medical card.
This came up when I was audited. I had a half ton truck that did not have a DOT number on it. I had a 20,000 gvw trailer sitting in the driveway when they were there, and he said I couldn't pull that trailer with ANYTHING that did not have a DOT number. Soooo, I just had to ask, what if I hook it to that old 79 half ton over there??? To which he quickly replied, and I quote,"I don't care if you throw that hitch over your shoulder and pull it down my highway, you had better have a DOT number across your a**".
I just said yes sir. Lol
As already said, for the most part, how far they want to carry things is up to the officer, and what kind of mood he is in.

Date Posted: 20 Feb 2016 at 12:40pm
Originally posted by darrel in ND darrel in ND wrote:

I can maybe see someone getting a 10 K ticket for being grossly overweight and having equipment malfunctions out the a$$, but what would get you 10 years. ..? Darrel

I have not been looking out of a jail, just telling what I have had told to me by DOT, the jail time can come from not complying with the laws after going thru DOT audit or one of your trucks is involved in a wreck with a deaths and you are found to willfully not to have done repairs required by law. Yes they can and have sent truck owners to jail for this!     

-------------
3 WD45's with power steering,G,D15 fork lift,D19, W-Speed Patrol, "A" Gleaner with a 330 corn head,"66" combine,roto-baler, and lots of Snap Coupler implements to make them work for their keep.

Posted By: rodnil
Date Posted: 20 Feb 2016 at 1:31pm
In the beginning all states were told that the DOT regulations were necessary " A NEED FOR SAFETY WITHIN THE TRUCKING INDUSTRY " . And also a need to have the enforcement of the regulations "UNIFORM " from state to state. And federal money would flow to the states to help implement the rules/regulations. The trucking industry wanted "UNIFORMITY" and thus bought into the program. That's all changed. The program has moved from "SAFETY" to "GET MORE MONEY" from the trucks and owners/drivers. It has moved all the way down from the LARGE TRUCKS to vehicles 10,001 lbs. and greater are under the DOT regulations in one form or another. If you have children and you want them to earn money in the summer time to help with school expenses or just to get them to see how working is needed go buy them an old truck and a trailer get them some lawn mowers send them out to find lawns to move and advise them to charge a fair price for their labors and the see what the DOT rules say about what they are doing. The truck will have a GVWR of 8,000 lbs. or greater and the trailer will be at least 3,000 lbs. = 11,000 lbs. gross combined weight which puts it over 10,000 lbs. and they are receiving compensation. I speak with knowledge as I was a State Trooper for 33 years. I've been retired for 15 years. My story is,I was ticked by DOT 2 years ago for violations that did not apply to me or anyone else in my situation. I later found out through an association for the trucking industry that the Feds were wanting the state DOT to work a campaign against "DULLIE PICKUPS only and/or those PULLING TRAILERS" I plead "not guilty" I had my day in court and the DOT Officer never showed up in court. Not counting my time or travel it cost me $1,400.00 in legal fees. But if you were to check my driving record today it will show the issuance of those tickets but nothing about the tickets being thrown out. I've been informed that those tickets will be on my driving record FOREVER. When I first inquired about getting a DOT number for my truck and trailer for hauling my tractors to shows/events the young lady at a DOT phone bank in up state New York asked questions about receiving compensation for attending such events. She went as far as to tell me if I even received a "RIBBON" for participation it would be considered by DOT regulations as "COMPENSATION" and thus I was a commercial enterprise and I would be required to get a DOT number. She went on to tell me that by not receiving any compensation I would exempt me from having a DOT number. I will tell you that if you ask DOT officers in more than one state the same question about a certain regulation you will most likely get as many different answers as officers you asked the question of. Remember; un-elected Bureaucrats make the regulations which become law and these same bureaucrats require law enforcement to enforce them. Just my thoughts from someone "out there".

Date Posted: 20 Feb 2016 at 1:42pm
One way to look at the DOT is think about what the IRS is like to deal with and you will learn all you can about what's required by the DOT.
DOT = Demand's Of Trucking! lol 

-------------

Date Posted: 20 Feb 2016 at 4:11pm
Originally posted by GaryL GaryL wrote:

Something is not right in your statement.  Interstate Commerce means among or between States (two or more).  Intrastate commerce is commerce conducted inside a Cparticular State. 

If a DOT official is considering a farmer hauling grain a few miles as Interstate Commerce, then I believe he is grasping at straws and inappropriately applying the Interstate Commerce clause with a wide brush.

Everything in bold italics is straight from the regulations. If you haul corn 1 mile to an elevator, and they ship it over a State line or out of the country, it CAN be considered Interstate shipping. I'm not saying it's right, just what the "law" says.

-------------

Posted By: JC-WI
Date Posted: 20 Feb 2016 at 4:32pm
KY, shoulda asked the agent idf he knew what a motor vehicle was... cuzz you throwin a hitch on youself would not be a 'motorized' vehicle.
80% of the laws need to be wiped off the books...
Been in the rodeo with them boys pulling an empty gooseneck with my 3/4 ton pickup. Truck licensed 'farm' at 12,000# and trailer licensed at 20,000# = 32,000#. and this state says you need to have all papers and logbooks and DOT numbers and healthcard beyound combination of 27,000#... Told the dot that I would register the trailer at 14,000# (14,000 + 12,000 = 26,000#) and he said that they take the greater number of the two (license or gvwr on plate of trailer)... Just a minute, License for 14000 and now you use 20,000? your playing games.
I called the state on several things and I got tossed back and forth and neither one had answers saying it was the other's dept. . Told them they better get their act together and get on the same page. later they dropped the healthcard crap for farmers... and don't need log books if your not running comercial.but then again, things could have changed more in the last 2 years...

As early as the https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Articles_of_Confederation" rel="nofollow - Articles of Confederation the Congress recognized freedom of movement (Article 4), though the right was thought to be so fundamental during the drafting of the https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Constitution" rel="nofollow - Constitution as not needing explicit enumeration. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freedom_of_movement_under_United_States_law#cite_note-Mount-4" rel="nofollow - [4]

The U.S. Supreme Court in https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crandall_v._Nevada" rel="nofollow - Crandall v. Nevada , 73 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Reports" rel="nofollow - U.S. https://supreme.justia.com/cases/federal/us/73/35/" rel="nofollow - 35 (1868) declared that freedom of movement is a fundamental right and therefore a https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/U.S._state" rel="nofollow - state cannot inhibit people from leaving the state by taxing them. In https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_v._Wheeler_%281920%29" rel="nofollow - United States v. Wheeler , 254 U.S. 281 (1920), the Supreme Court reiterated its position that the Constitution did not grant the federal government the power to protect freedom of movement. However, Wheeler had a significant impact in other ways. For many years, the roots of the Constitution's "privileges and immunities" clause had only vaguely been determined. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freedom_of_movement_under_United_States_law#cite_note-Bogen-5" rel="nofollow - [5] In 1823, the circuit court in Corfield had provided a list of the rights (some fundamental, some not) which the clause could cover. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freedom_of_movement_under_United_States_law#cite_note-6" rel="nofollow - [6] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freedom_of_movement_under_United_States_law#cite_note-7" rel="nofollow - [7] The Wheeler court dramatically changed this. It was the first to locate the right to travel in the privileges and immunities clause, providing the right with a specific guarantee of constitutional protection. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freedom_of_movement_under_United_States_law#cite_note-8" rel="nofollow - [8] By reasoning that the clause derived from Article IV of the Articles of Confederation, the decision suggested a narrower set of rights than those enumerated in Corfield, but also more clearly defined those rights as absolutely fundamental. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freedom_of_movement_under_United_States_law#cite_note-Nelson-9" rel="nofollow - [9]

But the Supreme Court began rejecting Wheeler's reasoning within a few years. Finally, in https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_v._Guest" rel="nofollow - United States v. Guest , 383 U.S. 745 (1966), the Supreme Court overruled Chief Justice White's conclusion that the federal government could protect the right to travel only against state infringement. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freedom_of_movement_under_United_States_law#cite_note-Symposium1-2" rel="nofollow - [2] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freedom_of_movement_under_United_States_law#cite_note-Note-3" rel="nofollow - [3] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freedom_of_movement_under_United_States_law#cite_note-10" rel="nofollow - [10]

----------------------- an interesting read...
"The American citizen does indeed have the inalienable right to use the roadways unrestricted in any manner as long as they are not damaging or violating property or rights of another.
Government, in requiring the people to file for "drivers Iicenses, vehicle registrations, mandatory insurance, and demanding they stop for vehicle inspections, DUI/DWI roadblocks etc. without question, are "restricting
", and therefore violating, the Peoples common law right to travel.*"
the whole thread here.
http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/showthread.php?88509-OUR-RIGHT-TO-TRAVEL-Defined-Legal-style" rel="nofollow - http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/showthread.php?88509-OUR-RIGHT-TO-TRAVEL-Defined-Legal-style

-------------
He who says there is no evil has already deceived himself
The truth is the truth, sugar coated or not. Trawler II says, "Remember that."

Date Posted: 20 Feb 2016 at 4:46pm

Originally posted by GaryL GaryL wrote:

Everything in bold italics is straight from the regulations. If you haul corn 1 mile to an elevator, and they ship it over a State line or out of the country, it CAN be considered Interstate shipping. I'm not saying it's right, just what the "law" says.
CT, depends on who paid you I would think, If you hauled it to the elevator 1 mile or a hundred miles and the elvator paid you, that is in your state... and thats as far as your ownership of it goes... after the elevator ships it from your state to the next state, or another country... then that is the elevators ownership of said commodity...  So...  the coppers better get it right I would think.  
 I guess if you apply that DOT twisted mentality to a marriage, that woman the copper marries  decideds to divorce him and then gets married to another person, she is still the coppers wife... when she's laying in bed legally with another...?

-------------

Posted By: ironac
Date Posted: 20 Feb 2016 at 5:14pm
Can the dot just leave us alone and focus on requiring RV owners to have a cdl before hitting the road. Some of the RVs out there are massive. And it's scary when you see who is driving them!

Date Posted: 20 Feb 2016 at 7:15pm
How many have been ticketed for an unsecured load?????

Date Posted: 20 Feb 2016 at 7:29pm
and ya'll wonder why I buy cops...beers!

Date Posted: 20 Feb 2016 at 7:36pm
I'm starting to think this might be the cheapest way in the long run to haul something to shows.
It's just like riding the bus, just get on and leave the driving to the bus driver, sad but true with today's DOT rules.

-------------

Date Posted: 20 Feb 2016 at 8:07pm
Being that beer has been brought up here is the section 392.5 Alcohol Prohibition
(a) No driver shall—

(1) Use alcohol, as defined in § 382.107 of this subchapter, or be under the influence of alcohol, within 4 hours before going on duty or operating, or having physical control of, a commercial motor vehicle; or

(2) Use alcohol, be under the influence of alcohol, or have any measured alcohol concentration or detected presence of alcohol, while on duty, or operating, or in physical control of a commercial motor vehicle; or

(3) Be on duty or operate a commercial motor vehicle while the driver possesses wine of not less than one-half of one per centum of alcohol by volume, beer as defined in 26 U.S.C. 5052(a), of the Internal Revenue Code of 1954, and distilled spirits as defined in section 5002(a)(8), of such Code. However, this does not apply to possession of wine, beer, or distilled spirits which are:

(i) Manifested and transported as part of a shipment; or

(ii) Possessed or used by bus passengers.

(b) No motor carrier shall require or permit a driver to—

(1) Violate any provision of paragraph (a) of this section; or

(2) Be on duty or operate a commercial motor vehicle if, by the driver's general appearance or conduct or by other substantiating evidence, the driver appears to have used alcohol within the preceding four hours.

So you might be careful hauling beer to shows. You might get in a little trouble.

Posted By: Stan IL&TN
Date Posted: 20 Feb 2016 at 9:22pm
Every time this comes up it's always the same......clear as mud.

-------------
1957 WD45 dad's first AC

1968 one-seventy

1956 F40 Ferguson

Date Posted: 20 Feb 2016 at 9:23pm
I challenge anyone to define Intra-State Vs. Inter-State with the mind set of todays Federal DOT. It use to be Intra-State movement was within 150 mile of your home base and not crossing into another state. Inter-State was traveling over 150 mile from your base and or crossing state lines. Simple enough, would you not agree? Then a trucker I knew was hauling steel ( 1972 ) from a river terminal to a manufacturing plant about 45 miles away and still within the state. He had been doing this for years. His travel took him by a federal building which housed the Federal DOT enforcement unit. This was long before States began enforcement of DOT regulations. The FED DOT did some investigation and found out were he picked up the steel and were it was going and determined he was "Acting in Inter-State Commerce" . They said that the steel came from another state traveled on the river and he was a continuation of that Inter-State movement. The steel was off loaded from the barge and placed on a dock where it sat for some period of time before the factor had him load it onto his truck an haul it to their location. The Fed DOT action put him out of business. Fast forward to the currant and see how the Fed DOT is wanting to define Intra-State vs Inter-State. The farmer hauling grain to the elevator in his or her home town is at issue. I challenge anyone to tell me when you take grain to your local elevator that they or anyone else can say where that grain is going to end up. Here in is the problem, interpretation of situation/s and the DOT regulation/s . The Feds tell the States to enforce it the way they define Inter-State movement/s. Where in the H--- is the safety issue/s in such a movement? NONE, it's about MONEY. To my knowledge as of late this issue of farmers hauling grain to a terminal or local elevator has been set aside for "more study". Government speak.   Just my thoughts, From out there.

Posted By: JohnCO
Date Posted: 21 Feb 2016 at 12:34am
I have to think that things are a bit more lax here in Colorado, and most of the other mountain states.  I was at a meeting with our state Commissioner of Ag a few months ago and he was telling of the State DOT people stopping trucks hauling corn from the field to farms or elevators within 50 miles.  He called the head of the state patrol and the DOT guys were gone within a hour, went back to hassling truckers on the interstate I guess.  I try to haul on evenings and weekends whenever possible and usually stay within the county.

-------------
"If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer"
Allis Express participant

Date Posted: 21 Feb 2016 at 1:06am
our local Sheriff's Dept is not allowed to do anything that involves DOT regs, moving or non-moving except traffic violations. if they suspect anything wrong they can stop the truck, but have to wait for any DOT officer to investigate and or make an arrest. and if there were no DOT Officers available, there is a time limit to hold the driver, then they have to be turned loose! now....I don't know if it's the policy of that Sheriff's Dept....or if it's state wide here in NE! it was also the same way at the Sheriff's Dept I worked for in another county...but that was because we just didn't have the time or man power for it! our DOT is a division of our State Patrol, and unless it's by special order, there are no DOT Officers on duty after a certain time of the day (I won't divuldge that time) if really needed, they have to be called out on overtime! the fixed scales are the exception!

Date Posted: 21 Feb 2016 at 1:09am
oh....and in our county...if DOT is in the area, everyone will know within an hour...word travels REAL fast, then you are either legal then or you stay at home that day!

Posted By: jaybmiller
Date Posted: 21 Feb 2016 at 6:20am
hmm... re...
However, this does not apply to possession of wine, beer, or distilled spirits which are:

(i) Manifested and transported as part of a shipment; or

Wonder if this will 'pass'

Shipping Orders for 'xyz' farm show

Transport the following items

1) Allis-Chalmers  tractors
2) BBQ devvice and bag of charcoal
3) Cooler,contents consisting of ice,burgers and related food stuffs
4) Cooler,contenets cossisting of ice,beer and bottle opener

All items to be secured and delivered on time

Bet this'd test the inspector.....

Jay

-------------
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water

Posted By: B26240
Date Posted: 21 Feb 2016 at 6:37am
Some time back a friend of mine and I were talking about all these rules some of which we were unaware and he said " I'm convinced that sooner or later we will all end up in jail " I just sighed and agreed.

Posted By: DarrylinWA
Date Posted: 21 Feb 2016 at 7:04am
Here is another. I got my 89 Peterbilt registered as a RV. (Portable sink, toilet, microwave and bed.) Stamped RV on Title and RV liscense plates. Will be getting a Kentucky enclosed moving van trailer to haul tractors to shows and will be taking this to MO. this Sept. I do have a med card and my class A, and going to stay out of Iowa, put plan on NOT going through scales. Will say Registered RV on side . Title in bold print say classification M/H.  What do tractor pullers do with this. Another can of worms huh.

-------------
B 10 Custom. Serial # 1001 D21, First D21 built 69 #4498 and Last D 21 Built #4609. 1946 MM UTU. And 2000, 2005 Pete's. AC custom Hauling.

Posted By: Fred in Pa
Date Posted: 21 Feb 2016 at 7:15am
DOT told me Tractor Pulling is same as a BUSINESS !!

-------------
He who dies with the most toys is,
nonetheless ,still dead.
If all else fails ,Read all that is PRINTED.

Date Posted: 21 Feb 2016 at 1:27pm
is that a business mixed with pleasure?
mmm, Think some make it a business, but many just do it for fun...
 Think the state patrol need CDL licenses if they are driving cars for government business... and all their humvies and personnel command posts and heavier 'toys' of theirs.

-------------

Date Posted: 21 Feb 2016 at 1:35pm
Going to use my Peterbilt to haul my antique tractors to shows and also allows me dry storage at home with the Kentucky trailer. A lot safer than my Dodge 1 ton. Is a 260 inch wheelbase single axle. Has a 5 ft flatbed behind. the 60 inch flattop. Sit 6 adults in the back with extra windows. A lot cheaper than a new 550 or 650 Dodge and I have BRAKES!!! Will tow my 32 ft fifth wheel travel trailer also with it. Strickley a RV. Not for hire, but my own stuff. Was a piece of cake to do this at the DMW. Once I figured who to talk to there and after the local State Partrol who works at the Port of Entry in WA. state. It is all custom with front and rear airbagged and 10" straights. Built old school. I do have my med card and updated CDL class A just incase, but even got this under my home owners policy because it is registered as a RV. $37.50 A MONTH FOR FULL COVERAGE!!!

-------------
B 10 Custom. Serial # 1001 D21, First D21 built 69 #4498 and Last D 21 Built #4609. 1946 MM UTU. And 2000, 2005 Pete's. AC custom Hauling.

Posted By: DanWi
Date Posted: 21 Feb 2016 at 2:53pm
B26240 I agree with you, it the more rules they make it just turns more of us into violators. This really isn't an issue if you have a wd on a car trailer pulled by a 1/2 ton pickup but then go to a 1ton with a 20,000 tandem dual trailer which should be better safer for towing depending on the size of the load and you open this whole can of worms. Then if you have a semi that you haul grain with to your local elevator all week with no problems, but you hook to a drop deck and want to take three 10,000 lb tractors to a show 2 states away, now there are more regulations. People either choose to get legal, violate, or not go. Someday we need to unite and protest. They need to make it easier for people to do the right thing and it would be better for this countries economy, then trying to throw hoops in front of us to jump through. Darryl I agree you are doing it the right way. For the guys down on the farm that just want to hook there dually to the gooseneck or semi to a trailer throw a few tractors on and go to a show or pull it shouldn't be that hard. The thing is weather it is pulling, showing, or even just farming when people are spending money it is good for the economy.

Posted By: Brian Jasper co. Ia
Date Posted: 21 Feb 2016 at 11:01pm
The worst part about all this is ask 10 different DOT cops, you'll get 10 different answers. Just because he has a badge does not mean he actually knows the law. Anymore it would probably pay to see a lawyer who specializes in transportation laws...

-------------
"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian." Henry Ford

Date Posted: 21 Feb 2016 at 11:37pm
Originally posted by Brian Jasper co. Ia Brian Jasper co. Ia wrote:

The worst part about all this is ask 10 different DOT cops, you'll get 10 different answers. Just because he has a badge does not mean he actually knows the law. Anymore it would probably pay to see a lawyer who specializes in transportation laws...

Brain you have hit the nail on the head with this. I have the name and phone number of US DOT officer that trains on the trucking laws and have been thinking and about having him come to the GOTO  here in Mo. if you guys will be willing to pay his way, it might cost $5. or even $10. per head to come get the facts and not the bull crap that's being spread on this.
So you guys tell me; will you pay 5 or 10 bucks to know the true or am I'm wasting my time, I know what I need to do and stay out of trouble. Please don't me hateful about it but let me know. Thanks Don     

-------------

Date Posted: 21 Feb 2016 at 11:50pm
Count me in Don!! I might need this to get home then!!! Will Pay $10.00 myself.

-------------

Date Posted: 22 Feb 2016 at 12:41am
Darrylin...puts you sum dark tinted camper winders in that big trailer, and it'll appear to the ones outside it too is a camper trailer!

Date Posted: 22 Feb 2016 at 12:43am
where there are regulations/rules made, there's always a way around them! why do you think there are so many lawyers?

Posted By: JohnCO
Date Posted: 22 Feb 2016 at 12:57am
The lawyers write the rules!

-------------
"If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer"
Allis Express participant

Posted By: Charlie175
Date Posted: 22 Feb 2016 at 5:26am
We had a DOT officer come to our Pull Club and answer questions about this.
1: If you are transporting for profit, you are a commercial business, unless it is directly related to your personal farm. Commercial business equals DOT numbers

2: If you cross state lines for profit, then you need a DOT number regardless of farm.

3: If you are sponsored (Tractor Pulling) and advertise it on trailer/tractor, then you are a commercial enterprise. Need DOT number.

-------------
Charlie

'48 B, '51 CA, '56 WD45 '61 D17, '63 D12, '65 D10 , '68 One-Ninety XTD

Date Posted: 22 Feb 2016 at 4:41pm
10,001 is not a total determining factor on needing a CDL and DOT number either. It all goes back to the question "Are you Commercial or Private?" If you're hauling for pay, hauling a tractor to do work for pay,(farming is exempt in most states) showcasing your restoration skills to advertise your abilities for hire, going to a show/pull where you might win prize money, have a sponsor paying part or all transportation costs, (these are only some of the conditions) you are commercial and must comply.
If you answered no to all of the above questions, you're private and exempt from complying.

-------------
"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian." Henry Ford

Posted By: DougS
Date Posted: 22 Feb 2016 at 5:14pm
Be aware that the above may apply to your state, but not necessarily to other states. In interstate hauling any trailer with a GVWR (that's gross weight rating, not total actual weight) of 10,001 or more and a total GCVWR (that's TOTAL combined vehicle weight rating, not just the load) of 26,001 or more may require a CDL and appropriate medical card.

Date Posted: 22 Feb 2016 at 7:53pm
I say it again, IT'S ALL ABOUT THE MONEY !!! Safety my ----. Uniformity is a thing of the past. My friend was in IOWA ( I OUGHT OF WENT AROUND ) a year ago driving a 3/4 ton pick-up with a 25 foot gooseneck trailer hauling farm equipment and was stopped three (3) times in one day and each time ( different officer and different location ) he was put through a complete inspection. Where is the logic in such actions ? From Out There, RODNEY

Posted By: RickM(MO)
Date Posted: 22 Feb 2016 at 9:05pm
Don(MO), I like your idea of having a DOT officer at the GOTO in Boonville to explain the regulations. I would be willing to pay $10
(or a little more) toward the expense of a training class. I was at a tractor show in Indiana a few years ago where they had two Indiana State Police troopers give a class about hauling regulations to tractor shows. They said (as mentioned above) if you are NOT COMMERCIAL then you are exempt from most of the regulations. That being said it doesn't mean you wouldn't get stopped by a DOT, State Highway Patrol, County Sheriff or city police officer. You may have to convince the officer that you are not commercial, which may be easier said than done. I am certainly not an expert on this and haven't hauled tractors and equipment all over the country like some others on here. I do think an explanation of the regulations from a DOT officer would clear up many of the questions a lot of us have about hauling old tractors to shows. If the federal regulations are applied to anyone and everyone taking old tractors to shows as a hobby, then it will eventually mean the end of the big tractor shows. This is just my opinion. Thanks.

-------------
Missouri Allis Chalmers Club Member; 1954 WD45 (NF), 611LTD & 811GT Lawn Tractors

Posted By: bauerd44
Date Posted: 22 Feb 2016 at 9:49pm
Don (MO) I think having a DOT person give a semiar or two at the GOTO would be great.  I will chip in on the cost.  Dale

-------------
Missouri Allis-Chalmers Club
CA Allis, 175 Allis, 185 Allis

Date Posted: 22 Feb 2016 at 10:21pm
Don, that's a good idea. But, why pay them??? Such training is their job . They are already being paid a salary. I'm sure he will not be there on his own time or expense. I hope he has thick skin, it may be brutal. This may enlighten those DOT guys that there actions are not well received buy the motoring public. And maybe they can attempt to justify their enforcement actions. Just my thoughts, From out there, Rodney.

Posted By: WF owner
Date Posted: 23 Feb 2016 at 5:28am
Don't forget that they don't make the rules; it's their job to enforce them. Any of us that have ever had a job know that we often had to do (or enforce) things we really didn't agree with.

Date Posted: 23 Feb 2016 at 6:17am
Having him come to help out with these ? 's could result in the same when someone gets pulled over. It could turn ugly when someone goes off on him ,as a result he just very well go out and scan every plate in the parking lot .At some point some day every truck in that parking lot just might be a victim .   Just my thought for the day .

For 15 years I ran all over the Midwest with my F-350 ,had combo tags on truck ,everything Pa. DOT told me I needed ,NEVER had a trouble ,was pulled over a few times and once was in Ia. . Always kept trailer and truck clean .Always tried down more then needed .

AS for just a DOT how many really know why u do need one !!!

Just all thoughts for the day . Thanks for sharing . LOL

-------------
nonetheless ,still dead.

Date Posted: 23 Feb 2016 at 7:12am

When I done what I was told I need ,I ask now I am legal .

I was told ,Well ,I ( person I was talking to ) am a Interpreter of the Law.

When you get pulled over that Officer is the in-forcer of the law,it all plays out with situation at hand ,ETC,ETC,.

-------------
nonetheless ,still dead.

Posted By: Butch(OH)
Date Posted: 23 Feb 2016 at 7:39am
35 years of hauling stuff around and 20 years of reading posts on this subject has taught me these things,
A- Reduce your chances of being hassled by not overloading your vehicle, tying things down properly, have your brake battery cable hooked up (yes they look when passing you)  and you will VERY likely be left alone.
B- If you want the real dope on the subject call your state DOT and talk to them. Tell them EXACTLY what you plan to do, or are doing and they will be more than glad to tell you exactly what you need to do.
C- Read internet forums if you want to be totally confused on the subject because fully 1/2 who post as experts are clueless.
I am of course in the other half,Wink

Date Posted: 23 Feb 2016 at 7:45am
Originally posted by Fred in Pa Fred in Pa wrote:

DOT told me Tractor Pulling is same as a BUSINESS !!

So if you try "farming" as a business and you lose money every year, the Fed says you can't take deductions on income tax till you show a profit after 3 years of failure.
 So. in my mind, if you can't show a profit from tractor pulling in 3 years time, it must be a hobby and not a business as per the Feds own rules. I guess DOT and IRS don't share that opinion and the opinion of the ocifer at hand when you are pulled over is the ONLY thing that matters Ouch

-------------

Posted By: JoeM(GA)
Date Posted: 23 Feb 2016 at 8:39am
Originally posted by Fred in Pa Fred in Pa wrote:

When I done what I was told I need ,I ask now I am legal .

I was told ,Well ,I ( person I was talking to ) am a Interpreter of the Law.

When you get pulled over that Officer is the in-forcer of the law,it all plays out with situation at hand ,ETC,ETC,.

After several years of having our trailers stopped at the dealer I worked at in Atlanta, our owner asked for and got an enforcement officer to come and look at all 12 of our trucks and trailers. He pointed out a few thinks he "liked " to see, pointed out what was "wrong
in his eyes" (his words) and said fix those and we'd be good to go. Less than 24 hours later one was on the side of I-75 getting picked apart for things that the other said were OK. I fully believe it is however the officer chooses for it to be.
I have been stopped several times through the years, my lights always work, brakes & break-a-way too, I keep triangles, extinguisher in arms reach. One stopped me in Alabama on the way to the G roundup just because he didn't like nylon straps. I explained that a G is about 1,600 lbs, and I had four 3,300lb working load straps holding it down. I explained that I tie all my equipment down like I cannot afford to loose it, which I can't! I always make sure my straps aren't worn or cut, and the DOT compliant tags are on them and readable. My chains, ratchet binders, and hooks are all stamped G70. All you can do is try to do it right. And I didn't get a ticket, but his parting words were "I like chains", which I agree with for everything I have larger that the G's.

I too hope to be at the Boonville show, I'd love to hear what they have to say, but I'd really hate to be pulling away from that show with a trailer after someone was foolish enough to "go off" on a Law Enforcement Officer! Go ahead son, poke that dog see if he'll bite! LOL!!! Not what our hobby needs!
JMHO

-------------
Allis Express North Georgia
41 WC,48 UC Cane,7-G's,
Ford 345C TLB

Date Posted: 23 Feb 2016 at 8:49am
Thanks to all that responded to my idea to have a DOT officer come to talk about the laws. I was thinking about having a retired DOT officer come for the same that was posted above, that's where the costs came from, he hates what the DOT has turned into.
I thought you might like to find out true. I'm sorry to have posted this bad idea and was not trying to start a war over it just trying to help. So let's go play with tractors.lol
I'll try to just keep my pie hole closed.  

-------------

Posted By: JoeM(GA)
Date Posted: 23 Feb 2016 at 9:52am
Not a bad idea Don, "Knowledge is Wealth" hey, heard that somewhere before!

-------------
Allis Express North Georgia
41 WC,48 UC Cane,7-G's,
Ford 345C TLB

Date Posted: 23 Feb 2016 at 10:16am
It was not my intent to cause trouble with what I've posted on this subject. Don, if your intent was to invite a former DOT officer to Booneville and charge us an admission fee, I'm all for it and would pay to hear his remarks. He will be like me though, talking about what it was like when we were there. That will be good information . History is good to review but it's the present and future that is and will be the problem. Remember that government regulation never go away or get small. By design they grow and grow. And I'll open another can of worms for thought and conversation, "INSURANCE" as required by FED DOT. My truck is a 2002 FORD 7.3 F-550 Crew Cab 4x4 GVWR 17,500 lbs. and it's my daily driver. When I retired I wanted a new truck and this truck was what I thought would be good for towing and it was no bigger than a Ford F-350 in outward appearance just in GVWR. My 1995 bumper hitch trailer is 24 ft. long and GVWR of 14,000 lbs. When I was told by DOT that I should get a DOT number I went to my insurance agent and told him I was thinking of getting a DOT number . He said that with the DOT number my currant insurance company would no longer issue me a policy. This combination currently cost me around $1,000 a year. I made some inquires with insurance companies that would insure me with a DOT number. The cheapest was $6,600 a year and went as high as $11,200 a year. This insurance coverage is necessary because you will be hauling for hire. "REMEMBER" if you so much as receive a ribbon for attending a tractor show or your life long friend buys your supper for hauling his/her tractor to the show with yours the FED DOT says that RIBBON and or meal or anything you would receive for hauling no matter how small or large it is compensation and thus you are in the furtherance of a commercial enterprise. The Coverage price I was quoted was for $750,000 to cover the vehicles and the coverage of cargo. This is the minimum amount of coverage the FED DOT requires. The agent then asked what I was intending to haul and I told him I would be hauling my antique tractors to shows. Well then he said that requires your coverage to be increased to $1,000,000. Why such an increase was my question to him. He said that increase was required by the FED EPA as now I would be hauling hazardous materials. WHAT ??? EPA said such things as a tractor contains OIL,FUEL or GASOLINE and thus I was hauling hazardous materials. Ladies and gentlemen I ask you, where does this stuff end ? Do some checking with you insurance company ,yours may be different than mine but I doubt it, then I live in Illinois. In all seriousness I'm at this point in my life with all of these regulations and laws that can effect me going to something as small as a tractor show that I begin to think maybe I should sell my collection. On second thought , Hell no!! I'm staying to the very end. Just my 2 cents, from a guy OUT THERE. RODNEY

Date Posted: 23 Feb 2016 at 10:16am
I also think it's a good idea. We had a local DOT guy come to a club meeting at AE-TA a couple years ago and he dispelled some myths about hauling but, like said before, it depends on how the ocifer stopping you feels, what side of the bed he got out on and how HE interprets the law. I think the worst thing you can do is argue with him or try to read him the regulations from the "book".
 Keep it clean and neat and make sure lights work, and hope for the best.

-------------

Posted By: NDBirdman
Date Posted: 23 Feb 2016 at 10:34am
I have an '05 F250 and haul an H&H trailer, tandem axles.  I do have plates on the trailer, not commercial.  The ID plate says it is rated to 9,975 lbs, was told this is to stay under 10,001 lbs but the trailer is built to handle much more weight.  I use it mostly to haul logs I pull home to cut up for firewood.  Sometimes I haul my tractors on it (WC & WD).  Elect brakes/battery emerg. brake on it also.  My truck has DAV tags on it.  If I was to pull my trailer back to say, IN to pick up a tractor, WD45, D-19 or such, do I need to have DOT on truck trailer now?  Everything I do is for personal, not for hire or for sale.  It's strictly hobby, well, occasionally hay work but I do it and get payed in hay/straw for my personal use.  Do I need to worry about the revenuers (DOT, cops, etc)?

I'm thinking the DAV tags might get me in trouble doing this.

-------------
1955 WD45 S#205467, 190XT #6652 DXT

Date Posted: 23 Feb 2016 at 10:41am
Just be aware, NDBirdman, that if you get stopped and your trailer and load weighs 9,976 pounds or more they can cite you for having an overloaded trailer. Will they? Probably not. Just sayin', though.

Posted By: NDBirdman
Date Posted: 23 Feb 2016 at 11:23am
I've worried about that.  I don't know what an 18-20 inch diameter, 6 to 8 foot ash and oak log weights, but I figure I've been over weight too many times.  I load around 8 on front half, 8 or 10 on back half.  It's a 26ft trailer.  I try to load it so the trailer locks balanced just in-case I get looked at.  I did build sides all around, 32 inches high with 2x8s so the load is hard but not impossible to see.  The side also let me haul dirt/gravel etc. on it. (with tarp laid down, don't want to sand vehicles on the hiway)  On the days I cut the logs 18 inches long for firewood before hauling, the load is up almost to the top of the sides, front to back.  Yea, I know that day I was pushing way too much, glad I did not get stopped.  That would have been bad.

-------------
1955 WD45 S#205467, 190XT #6652 DXT

Date Posted: 23 Feb 2016 at 12:38pm
%20" rel="nofollow - http://www.iowadot.gov/mvd/motorcarriers/truckguide.pdf
Iowa uses Federal regulations. On page 11 there is a flow chart to determine if you need a CDL or not. 10001 lbs by itself is not the determining factor.
%20" rel="nofollow - https://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/registration/do-i-need-usdot-number
The Federal DOT has a handy determining link to see if you need a DOT number or not.

-------------

Date Posted: 23 Feb 2016 at 12:42pm
Any more I'd recommend carrying a 49 CFR with you. In the event of being stopped and the officer says one thing you can show him where he's wrong.

-------------

Date Posted: 23 Feb 2016 at 12:47pm
What would be really good is if we could get someone from J.J. Keller to put on the seminar. DOT compliance is their business.

-------------

Posted By: CAL(KS)
Date Posted: 23 Feb 2016 at 12:52pm
https://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/registration/do-i-need-usdot-number" rel="nofollow - https://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/registration/do-i-need-usdot-number

If you click on the "Do I Need a DOT Number" yellow buttom it will ask questions to see if you need to apply.

No mention of 10,000lb or more vehicle there but if you read below it says----

You are required to obtain a USDOT number if you have a vehicle that:

Is used in transporting material found by the Secretary of Transportation to be hazardous and transported in a quantity requiring placarding (whether interstate or intrastate).
OR

Has a gross vehicle weight rating or gross combination weight rating, or gross vehicle weight or gross combination weight, of 4,536 kg (10,001 pounds) or more, whichever is greater; or
Is designed or used to transport more than 8 passengers (including the driver) for compensation; or
Is designed or used to transport more than 15 passengers, including the driver, and is not used to transport passengers for compensation;
AND is involved in Interstate commerce:

Trade, traffic, or transportation in the United States—

Between a place in a State and a place outside of such State (including a place outside of the United States);
Between two places in a State through another State or a place outside of the United States; or
Between two places in a State as part of trade, traffic, or transportation originating or terminating outside the State or the United States.
You are required by FMCSA to obtain USDOT Number and comply with the Federal Regulations.

How to Comply with Federal Regulations
It is the responsibility of motor carrier operators and drivers to know and comply with all applicable Federal Motor Carrier Safety Regulations. Safety compliance and safe operations translate into saved lives and property.  We believe the information in this package, when effectively applied, will contribute to safer motor carrier operations and highways.

-------------
Me -C,U,UC,WC,WD45,190XT,TL-12,145T,HD6G,HD16,HD20

Dad- WD, D17D, D19D, RT100A, 7020, 7080,7580, 2-8550's, 2-S77, HD15

Date Posted: 23 Feb 2016 at 1:15pm
That's how I read it too. It starts with the are you commercial or private question. I haven't yet found it for sure, but one of the 10001 requirements may be an annual inspection on the trailer is required.

-------------

Posted By: Charlie175
Date Posted: 23 Feb 2016 at 2:06pm
Originally posted by NDBirdman NDBirdman wrote:

I'm thinking the DAV tags might get me in trouble doing this.

Depends on your state, here in Virginia you need "weighted" tags. This means you pay for the weight you want to have. I'm plated for 22,000 lbs combined, which is about $200 a year for plates.

-------------
Charlie

'48 B, '51 CA, '56 WD45 '61 D17, '63 D12, '65 D10 , '68 One-Ninety XTD

Date Posted: 23 Feb 2016 at 3:27pm
Originally posted by Charlie175 Charlie175 wrote:

Depends on your state, here in Virginia you need "weighted" tags. This means you pay for the weight you want to have. I'm plated for 22,000 lbs combined, which is about $200 a year for plates.

^^^This. As I said before, it all depends on your state. This may or may not follow you when you cross state lines. years ago you could haul a load of nay weight, no matter, as long as you had a farm plate. The thing was that even a city slicker could get a farm plate. The downside was that you could do NO commercial hauling if you had a farm plate. Mileage may have changed on this one. CFR rules are federal and apply to interstate traffic. I have no idea how they apply to each individual state.

Posted By: Lonn
Date Posted: 23 Feb 2016 at 4:38pm
What will it all look like in another 10 or 20 years? They are slowly extinguishing the small guy.

-------------
-- --- .... .- -- -- .- -.. / .-- .- ... / .- / -- ..- .-. -.. . .-. .. -. --. / -.-. .... .. .-.. -.. / .-. .- .--. .. ... -
Wink
I am a Russian Bot

Date Posted: 23 Feb 2016 at 4:43pm
Originally posted by DougS DougS wrote:

Originally posted by Charlie175 Charlie175 wrote:

^^^This. As I said before, it all depends on your state. This may or may not follow you when you cross state lines. years ago you could haul a load of nay weight, no matter, as long as you had a farm plate. The thing was that even a city slicker could get a farm plate. The downside was that you could do NO commercial hauling if you had a farm plate. Mileage may have changed on this one. CFR rules are federal and apply to interstate traffic. I have no idea how they apply to each individual state.

Edit: Years ago when I lived I Nebraska.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.10 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2017 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net