This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

DOT regulations

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Stan IL&TN View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stan IL&TN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2016 at 9:22pm
Every time this comes up it's always the same......clear as mud.
1957 WD45 dad's first AC

1968 one-seventy

1956 F40 Ferguson
Sponsored Links

rodnil View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rodnil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2016 at 9:23pm
I challenge anyone to define Intra-State Vs. Inter-State with the mind set of todays Federal DOT. It use to be Intra-State movement was within 150 mile of your home base and not crossing into another state. Inter-State was traveling over 150 mile from your base and or crossing state lines. Simple enough, would you not agree? Then a trucker I knew was hauling steel ( 1972 ) from a river terminal to a manufacturing plant about 45 miles away and still within the state. He had been doing this for years. His travel took him by a federal building which housed the Federal DOT enforcement unit. This was long before States began enforcement of DOT regulations. The FED DOT did some investigation and found out were he picked up the steel and were it was going and determined he was "Acting in Inter-State Commerce" . They said that the steel came from another state traveled on the river and he was a continuation of that Inter-State movement. The steel was off loaded from the barge and placed on a dock where it sat for some period of time before the factor had him load it onto his truck an haul it to their location. The Fed DOT action put him out of business. Fast forward to the currant and see how the Fed DOT is wanting to define Intra-State vs Inter-State. The farmer hauling grain to the elevator in his or her home town is at issue. I challenge anyone to tell me when you take grain to your local elevator that they or anyone else can say where that grain is going to end up. Here in is the problem, interpretation of situation/s and the DOT regulation/s . The Feds tell the States to enforce it the way they define Inter-State movement/s. Where in the H--- is the safety issue/s in such a movement? NONE, it's about MONEY. To my knowledge as of late this issue of farmers hauling grain to a terminal or local elevator has been set aside for "more study". Government speak.   Just my thoughts, From out there.
JohnCO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnCO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2016 at 12:34am
I have to think that things are a bit more lax here in Colorado, and most of the other mountain states.  I was at a meeting with our state Commissioner of Ag a few months ago and he was telling of the State DOT people stopping trucks hauling corn from the field to farms or elevators within 50 miles.  He called the head of the state patrol and the DOT guys were gone within a hour, went back to hassling truckers on the interstate I guess.  I try to haul on evenings and weekends whenever possible and usually stay within the county.
"If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer"
Allis Express participant
SHAMELESS View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SHAMELESS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2016 at 1:06am
our local Sheriff's Dept is not allowed to do anything that involves DOT regs, moving or non-moving except traffic violations. if they suspect anything wrong they can stop the truck, but have to wait for any DOT officer to investigate and or make an arrest. and if there were no DOT Officers available, there is a time limit to hold the driver, then they have to be turned loose! now....I don't know if it's the policy of that Sheriff's Dept....or if it's state wide here in NE! it was also the same way at the Sheriff's Dept I worked for in another county...but that was because we just didn't have the time or man power for it! our DOT is a division of our State Patrol, and unless it's by special order, there are no DOT Officers on duty after a certain time of the day (I won't divuldge that time) if really needed, they have to be called out on overtime! the fixed scales are the exception!
SHAMELESS View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SHAMELESS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2016 at 1:09am
oh....and in our county...if DOT is in the area, everyone will know within an hour...word travels REAL fast, then you are either legal then or you stay at home that day!
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2016 at 6:20am
hmm... re...
However, this does not apply to possession of wine, beer, or distilled spirits which are:

(i) Manifested and transported as part of a shipment; or

Wonder if this will 'pass'

Shipping Orders for 'xyz' farm show

Transport the following items

1) Allis-Chalmers  tractors
2) BBQ devvice and bag of charcoal
3) Cooler,contents consisting of ice,burgers and related food stuffs
4) Cooler,contenets cossisting of ice,beer and bottle opener

All items to be secured and delivered on time

Bet this'd test the inspector.....

Jay

3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
B26240 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote B26240 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2016 at 6:37am
Some time back a friend of mine and I were talking about all these rules some of which we were unaware and he said " I'm convinced that sooner or later we will all end up in jail " I just sighed and agreed.
DarrylinWA View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DarrylinWA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2016 at 7:04am
Here is another. I got my 89 Peterbilt registered as a RV. (Portable sink, toilet, microwave and bed.) Stamped RV on Title and RV liscense plates. Will be getting a Kentucky enclosed moving van trailer to haul tractors to shows and will be taking this to MO. this Sept. I do have a med card and my class A, and going to stay out of Iowa, put plan on NOT going through scales. Will say Registered RV on side . Title in bold print say classification M/H.  What do tractor pullers do with this. Another can of worms huh.
B 10 Custom. Serial # 1001 D21, First D21 built 69 #4498 and Last D 21 Built #4609. 1946 MM UTU. And 2000, 2005 Pete's. AC custom Hauling.
Fred in Pa View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fred in Pa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2016 at 7:15am
DOT told me Tractor Pulling is same as a BUSINESS !!
He who dies with the most toys is,
nonetheless ,still dead.
If all else fails ,Read all that is PRINTED.
JC-WI View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JC-WI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2016 at 1:27pm
is that a business mixed with pleasure?
mmm, Think some make it a business, but many just do it for fun...
 Think the state patrol need CDL licenses if they are driving cars for government business... and all their humvies and personnel command posts and heavier 'toys' of theirs.
He who says there is no evil has already deceived himself
The truth is the truth, sugar coated or not. Trawler II says, "Remember that."
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DarrylinWA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2016 at 1:35pm
Going to use my Peterbilt to haul my antique tractors to shows and also allows me dry storage at home with the Kentucky trailer. A lot safer than my Dodge 1 ton. Is a 260 inch wheelbase single axle. Has a 5 ft flatbed behind. the 60 inch flattop. Sit 6 adults in the back with extra windows. A lot cheaper than a new 550 or 650 Dodge and I have BRAKES!!! Will tow my 32 ft fifth wheel travel trailer also with it. Strickley a RV. Not for hire, but my own stuff. Was a piece of cake to do this at the DMW. Once I figured who to talk to there and after the local State Partrol who works at the Port of Entry in WA. state. It is all custom with front and rear airbagged and 10" straights. Built old school. I do have my med card and updated CDL class A just incase, but even got this under my home owners policy because it is registered as a RV. $37.50 A MONTH FOR FULL COVERAGE!!!
B 10 Custom. Serial # 1001 D21, First D21 built 69 #4498 and Last D 21 Built #4609. 1946 MM UTU. And 2000, 2005 Pete's. AC custom Hauling.
DanWi View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DanWi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2016 at 2:53pm
B26240 I agree with you, it the more rules they make it just turns more of us into violators. This really isn't an issue if you have a wd on a car trailer pulled by a 1/2 ton pickup but then go to a 1ton with a 20,000 tandem dual trailer which should be better safer for towing depending on the size of the load and you open this whole can of worms. Then if you have a semi that you haul grain with to your local elevator all week with no problems, but you hook to a drop deck and want to take three 10,000 lb tractors to a show 2 states away, now there are more regulations. People either choose to get legal, violate, or not go. Someday we need to unite and protest. They need to make it easier for people to do the right thing and it would be better for this countries economy, then trying to throw hoops in front of us to jump through. Darryl I agree you are doing it the right way. For the guys down on the farm that just want to hook there dually to the gooseneck or semi to a trailer throw a few tractors on and go to a show or pull it shouldn't be that hard. The thing is weather it is pulling, showing, or even just farming when people are spending money it is good for the economy.
Brian Jasper co. Ia View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian Jasper co. Ia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2016 at 11:01pm
The worst part about all this is ask 10 different DOT cops, you'll get 10 different answers. Just because he has a badge does not mean he actually knows the law. Anymore it would probably pay to see a lawyer who specializes in transportation laws...
"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian." Henry Ford
Don(MO) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Don(MO) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2016 at 11:37pm
Originally posted by Brian Jasper co. Ia Brian Jasper co. Ia wrote:

The worst part about all this is ask 10 different DOT cops, you'll get 10 different answers. Just because he has a badge does not mean he actually knows the law. Anymore it would probably pay to see a lawyer who specializes in transportation laws...

Brain you have hit the nail on the head with this. I have the name and phone number of US DOT officer that trains on the trucking laws and have been thinking and about having him come to the GOTO  here in Mo. if you guys will be willing to pay his way, it might cost $5. or even $10. per head to come get the facts and not the bull crap that's being spread on this.
So you guys tell me; will you pay 5 or 10 bucks to know the true or am I'm wasting my time, I know what I need to do and stay out of trouble. Please don't me hateful about it but let me know. Thanks Don     
3 WD45's with power steering,G,D15 fork lift,D19, W-Speed Patrol, "A" Gleaner with a 330 corn head,"66" combine,roto-baler, and lots of Snap Coupler implements to make them work for their keep.

Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DarrylinWA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2016 at 11:50pm
Count me in Don!! I might need this to get home then!!! Will Pay $10.00 myself.
SHAMELESS View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SHAMELESS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2016 at 12:41am
Darrylin...puts you sum dark tinted camper winders in that big trailer, and it'll appear to the ones outside it too is a camper trailer!
SHAMELESS View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SHAMELESS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2016 at 12:43am
where there are regulations/rules made, there's always a way around them! why do you think there are so many lawyers?
JohnCO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnCO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2016 at 12:57am
The lawyers write the rules!

"If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer"
Allis Express participant
Charlie175 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlie175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2016 at 5:26am
We had a DOT officer come to our Pull Club and answer questions about this.
1: If you are transporting for profit, you are a commercial business, unless it is directly related to your personal farm. Commercial business equals DOT numbers

2: If you cross state lines for profit, then you need a DOT number regardless of farm.

3: If you are sponsored (Tractor Pulling) and advertise it on trailer/tractor, then you are a commercial enterprise. Need DOT number.

Charlie

'48 B, '51 CA, '56 WD45 '61 D17, '63 D12, '65 D10 , '68 One-Ninety XTD
Brian Jasper co. Ia View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian Jasper co. Ia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2016 at 4:41pm
10,001 is not a total determining factor on needing a CDL and DOT number either. It all goes back to the question "Are you Commercial or Private?" If you're hauling for pay, hauling a tractor to do work for pay,(farming is exempt in most states) showcasing your restoration skills to advertise your abilities for hire, going to a show/pull where you might win prize money, have a sponsor paying part or all transportation costs, (these are only some of the conditions) you are commercial and must comply.
If you answered no to all of the above questions, you're private and exempt from complying.
"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian." Henry Ford
DougS View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DougS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2016 at 5:14pm
Be aware that the above may apply to your state, but not necessarily to other states. In interstate hauling any trailer with a GVWR (that's gross weight rating, not total actual weight) of 10,001 or more and a total GCVWR (that's TOTAL combined vehicle weight rating, not just the load) of 26,001 or more may require a CDL and appropriate medical card.
rodnil View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rodnil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2016 at 7:53pm
I say it again, IT'S ALL ABOUT THE MONEY !!! Safety my ----. Uniformity is a thing of the past. My friend was in IOWA ( I OUGHT OF WENT AROUND ) a year ago driving a 3/4 ton pick-up with a 25 foot gooseneck trailer hauling farm equipment and was stopped three (3) times in one day and each time ( different officer and different location ) he was put through a complete inspection. Where is the logic in such actions ? From Out There, RODNEY
RickM(MO) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RickM(MO) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2016 at 9:05pm
Don(MO), I like your idea of having a DOT officer at the GOTO in Boonville to explain the regulations. I would be willing to pay $10
(or a little more) toward the expense of a training class. I was at a tractor show in Indiana a few years ago where they had two Indiana State Police troopers give a class about hauling regulations to tractor shows. They said (as mentioned above) if you are NOT COMMERCIAL then you are exempt from most of the regulations. That being said it doesn't mean you wouldn't get stopped by a DOT, State Highway Patrol, County Sheriff or city police officer. You may have to convince the officer that you are not commercial, which may be easier said than done. I am certainly not an expert on this and haven't hauled tractors and equipment all over the country like some others on here. I do think an explanation of the regulations from a DOT officer would clear up many of the questions a lot of us have about hauling old tractors to shows. If the federal regulations are applied to anyone and everyone taking old tractors to shows as a hobby, then it will eventually mean the end of the big tractor shows. This is just my opinion. Thanks.
Missouri Allis Chalmers Club Member; 1954 WD45 (NF), 611LTD & 811GT Lawn Tractors
bauerd44 View Drop Down
Silver Level Access
Silver Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bauerd44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2016 at 9:49pm
Don (MO) I think having a DOT person give a semiar or two at the GOTO would be great.  I will chip in on the cost.  Dale
Missouri Allis-Chalmers Club
CA Allis, 175 Allis, 185 Allis
rodnil View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rodnil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2016 at 10:21pm
Don, that's a good idea. But, why pay them??? Such training is their job . They are already being paid a salary. I'm sure he will not be there on his own time or expense. I hope he has thick skin, it may be brutal. This may enlighten those DOT guys that there actions are not well received buy the motoring public. And maybe they can attempt to justify their enforcement actions. Just my thoughts, From out there, Rodney.
WF owner View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WF owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2016 at 5:28am
Don't forget that they don't make the rules; it's their job to enforce them. Any of us that have ever had a job know that we often had to do (or enforce) things we really didn't agree with.

Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fred in Pa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2016 at 6:17am
Having him come to help out with these ? 's could result in the same when someone gets pulled over. It could turn ugly when someone goes off on him ,as a result he just very well go out and scan every plate in the parking lot .At some point some day every truck in that parking lot just might be a victim .   Just my thought for the day .

For 15 years I ran all over the Midwest with my F-350 ,had combo tags on truck ,everything Pa. DOT told me I needed ,NEVER had a trouble ,was pulled over a few times and once was in Ia. . Always kept trailer and truck clean .Always tried down more then needed .

AS for just a DOT how many really know why u do need one !!!

Just all thoughts for the day . Thanks for sharing . LOL

nonetheless ,still dead.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fred in Pa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2016 at 7:12am

When I done what I was told I need ,I ask now I am legal .

I was told ,Well ,I ( person I was talking to ) am a Interpreter of the Law.

When you get pulled over that Officer is the in-forcer of the law,it all plays out with situation at hand ,ETC,ETC,.
nonetheless ,still dead.
Butch(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Butch(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2016 at 7:39am
35 years of hauling stuff around and 20 years of reading posts on this subject has taught me these things,
A- Reduce your chances of being hassled by not overloading your vehicle, tying things down properly, have your brake battery cable hooked up (yes they look when passing you)  and you will VERY likely be left alone.
B- If you want the real dope on the subject call your state DOT and talk to them. Tell them EXACTLY what you plan to do, or are doing and they will be more than glad to tell you exactly what you need to do.
C- Read internet forums if you want to be totally confused on the subject because fully 1/2 who post as experts are clueless.
I am of course in the other half,Wink

CTuckerNWIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CTuckerNWIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2016 at 7:45am
Originally posted by Fred in Pa Fred in Pa wrote:

DOT told me Tractor Pulling is same as a BUSINESS !!

So if you try "farming" as a business and you lose money every year, the Fed says you can't take deductions on income tax till you show a profit after 3 years of failure.
 So. in my mind, if you can't show a profit from tractor pulling in 3 years time, it must be a hobby and not a business as per the Feds own rules. I guess DOT and IRS don't share that opinion and the opinion of the ocifer at hand when you are pulled over is the ONLY thing that matters Ouch
http://www.ae-ta.com
Lena 1935 WC12xxx, Willie 1951 CA6xx Dad bought new, 1954WD45 PS, 1960 D17 NF
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic