This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

DEALERS IN NY

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WNYBill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2019 at 10:18am
How about Culbert in Wellsville, NY
Sponsored Links

JayD-17(NY) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JayD-17(NY) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2019 at 1:48pm
The predecessor to the Pattersonville, NY dealership was Glenville Tractor Sales, just west of Schenectady/Scotia along the Mohawk River;  operated by William "Brownie" Brown from about 1948 - 1979. The building still stands, currently appears vacant.
bleeds orange View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bleeds orange Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2019 at 4:24pm
I have a 7030 panel from original owner on my wall in garage. Has a hardy Hanson and son sticker on it oneonta tractor sales oneonta, ny. Sharon springs garage is still in business.   There was an allis dealer in Frankfort,ny cant remember the name though.
TimNearFortWorth View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TimNearFortWorth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2019 at 7:47pm
Bleeds Orange, Frankfort was URGO's. Frank Potenza was the salesman and my brother with the dairy still bought short line equipment from him until he retired from another dealer. They were so close to the Herkimer County Fairgrounds that they drove tractors with implements from the dealership in town up to the fair every August. Last or one of the last tractors they they reportedly sold at URGO's was a 8050 FWD. Popped up for sale by the original owner a few years back near Dolgeville and was reportedly low hours, needed an exhaust pipe and rear glass but he knew what it was worth. 
We purchased stuff needed in a hurry from URGO's as close to us in Little Falls, otherwise from Stack Equipment in Rome who was my dad's brother Bob. Had one arm as lost a hand in an A-C left hand delivery corn chopper in the late 50's. Stack Equipment was originally across from the state hospital, plenty of space for us kids to ride A-C mini bikes, Model G's and Terra Tigers when we visited.
Mikez View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mikez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2019 at 10:52pm
I'd like to find some tractors that came from my grandfather
Ed&Sherry View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed&Sherry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2019 at 6:01am
back in the 50s there was Ward and Van Scoy in Candor and Thetga Farm Supply in Nichols also Mattews Farm Supply in Harpersville
Mikez View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mikez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2019 at 6:16pm
Any of you guys think your tractors come from our area, we found some receipts from when gramp got tractors from allis chalmers with the SR numbers. I could check and maybe yours come from here
Play Farmer View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Play Farmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2019 at 6:06am
Waldroffs of Watertown and Canton.
Longmeadow Farm View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Longmeadow Farm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2019 at 7:03am
"Engelke" in Stamford NY. Probably went out of business around the time I went into the service...around 1960. 
Bob-Maine View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob-Maine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2019 at 1:32pm
Big Allis 1,

It would be great to see that list posted on here when you get back from the south. You might check to see if Conrad Engelke is listed as a dealer until the late 1950's He was in my hometown of Stamford, NY, about 30 miles east of Oneonta.

I used to hang around there as a kid. In 1957, we had a snow storm that closed schools for 2 weeks. All the roads were snowed in and farmers couldn't get their milk to a creamery. Conrad was also a contractor and had a new HD-11, I think. He had a man on it opening roads.

When he gave it up, Keith Buell opened a dealership in South Gilboa, about 5 miles east of Stamford. Bob@allisdowneast
I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not sure.
HaroldOmaha View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HaroldOmaha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2019 at 9:42pm
I remember that snow storm in 1957. We shipped 22 cans of milk a day. We fed anything that would drink it. and cleaned out the cloths washer and made butter.

We had to dump a lot of milk.
Lived between Knox and East Berne at the time..
gleaner1 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gleaner1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2019 at 6:53am
Anyone happen to notice the small wording below Deutz-Allis on the dealer list?
This was 5 months after the US management buyout.
I’ve seen very few ads with this.
ALLIS CHALMERS "The color is orange"
Mikez View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mikez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2019 at 11:11pm
Was just told that a local wd45 was from a little dealer in Delmar New York. Would like to find info. I'm going to ask our town historian
243Hunter View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 243Hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2019 at 11:34pm
Years ago there was atleast 4 dealers in the hudson valley. There was one in Dover plains that the newest it sold was d-series. there was tipple equipment in philmont up in columbia county. One over in bullville near Middleton and an guy that I'm not sure if he was an actual dealer or just specialized in ac by the name of ray craft
Bob Thompson View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2019 at 6:17pm
Bernard Howard was the Allis dealer in South Alabama. He bought the Allis franchise from LaVerne Ingalsbe in the early 50's. My grandfather bought a new WC and a 60 combine from Ingalsbe. I still have the combine. Howard also sold New Holland equipment. I have a New Holland 77 baler that my grandfather bought new from him.

In the late 1930's I believe Akron Service Garage in Akron also sold Allis Chalmers equipment. In Medina Loades (may not be spelled correctly) was the Allis dealer and it changed names to Lake Plains at some point
Kip[NY] View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kip[NY] Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2019 at 10:25am
A well-known dealer in our area, Henry Moak, died recently (OAN Winter 2019, pg. 52).  According to his obituary, "In 1963, at the age of 17, Moak purchased an Allis-Chalmers dealership from Arnold Johansen and moved it to his home in Bacon Hill", which is near Schuylerville.  The obit said that Henry's Farm Equipment "was one of the top A-C hay and forage desalerships in the U.S."  Mention A-C around here and Henry's name will still pop up.
1959 D-14 SN/21089 "Martha"
WF owner View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WF owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2019 at 5:43pm
My Dad bought a new 780 chopper from John Poirier from Brasher Falls NY in the mid 60's. I don't know how long he was a dealer.

There was a guy named Pellerin that had an AC dealership. IIRC, it was in the 70's. Neither were dealers for very long.
Mikez View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mikez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2021 at 6:00pm
Originally posted by HaroldOmaha HaroldOmaha wrote:

Used to be a Komjathy's in Berne, N.Y. in the late 1950s, maybe early 60's. We bought a lot of Allis equipment.
                                 Harold

Harold here’s a picture of what used to be komjathys I took today

HaroldOmaha View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HaroldOmaha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2021 at 8:27pm
Hey ! Mike Thanks. That's a lot smaller than I remember, but I was a lot smaller too. I joined Facebook ( I quit that yesterday because of there policy) Found people related to me since I left school , also found the daughter of the farmer I worked for from 52-59, she was 3-4 when I went to college. She still remembered riding the school bus with me. She also married into my family. Thanks again, check my post earlier on showing antique tractors. Komjathy's daughter was in my grade in school.

Edited by HaroldOmaha - 15 Jan 2021 at 8:29pm
Mikez View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mikez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2021 at 10:45pm
well this is where my dad always tells me it was located. I’m pretty sure he was one of the dealers my grandfather would get tractors off rail cars at Selkirk station and bring them to our place for dealers to pick up
Bob-Maine View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob-Maine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2021 at 12:16pm
There was an AC dealer, Willits-Larson Farm Supplies, in Westfield, NY, my wife's home town. I have a copy of an ad from 1950 in which they pitch ordering a roto baler for spring delivery.

I own a 1950 B that was sold to a local man and I have the original bill of sale. It is made out to his wife, Pearl, includes 10 X 24 tires, pulley, hydraulic system and shaft for $1195.00. I am the second owner. The bill of sale was printed for McCrude Brothers, Allis Chalmers and GMC truck dealer, and Willits-Larson stamped over the original name.   Bob@allisdowneast
I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not sure.
Mikez View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mikez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2021 at 7:28pm
L C Smith in Delmare ny
Ed Weisheit in Selkirk ny 9w and church rd
Ron Eggen View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ron Eggen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2021 at 9:15pm
how about a list of PA dealers from Farm Journal ?  My son lives there and I would have some places to check out when I visit . Thanks .
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic