This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

!@##%^ D17!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2015 at 8:57pm
Yeah, but when the sediment bowl screen doesn't catch all the crap, then you CAN install an inline fuel filter on a WD45. I've used them for years with no ill effects of any kind and they've always ran like a raped ape! I still have one on the WD45 that I have now...no problem there.  Rick
Sponsored Links

JC-WI View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JC-WI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2015 at 9:38pm
Cheap ether isn't hardly worth crap... bought a case and you could spray thatrstuff like there was no tomorrow and then grabbed a differentcan and just a puff of spray did the job.
 the screen was brobably a plastic screen, and between the diameter perimeter of screen may be bigger and the thickness of the plastic not allowing the screen to lay down in glass bowl lip, was what made it leak... the old screens were made of brass and the rims were thin thus allowing the glass bowl to seal against the gasket.  Just some more of that stupid modern day "re-engineering that don't work right because it wasn't done right.
  if your tank has a rust issue and crud in it, roll a fine screen and put in inlet of sediment bowl body. couple inches high with the top crimped over. in line car filter will plug fast if you have lots of fine particles floating. then you have to either reeplace of blow them out backwards...and usually happens out in the field.. and the taste isn't real desirable.
 Maybe this will help in the carb dilemma.

He who says there is no evil has already deceived himself
The truth is the truth, sugar coated or not. Trawler II says, "Remember that."
TomYaz View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomYaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2015 at 12:24am
Originally posted by DiyDave DiyDave wrote:

You can run an inline filter, but why?  You already have a filter that works fine...

Got a new screen, bowl,gasket. Couldnt get it to seal. Didnt work fine for me.
If its not an All-Crop, it all crap!
TomYaz View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomYaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2015 at 12:26am
Originally posted by john(MI) john(MI) wrote:

If you tried ether and it didn't start then there is something wrong with the spark.  I had a similar problem with my D14 and new points and condensor took care of it.

The ether was igniting. smoke-fire observed.
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2015 at 5:14am
Originally posted by TomYaz TomYaz wrote:

Originally posted by DiyDave DiyDave wrote:

You can run an inline filter, but why?  You already have a filter that works fine...

Got a new screen, bowl,gasket. Couldnt get it to seal. Didnt work fine for me.

Sometimes the bail stretches or the pot metal that the sediment bowl base attaches to gets warped, from heavy handed tightening...
Rick View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2015 at 5:28am
I have a brother who is a "heavy handed tightener"...so-to-speak! He uses a pair of pliers or whatever he can get his hands on to tighten up the bowl! I always tell him..."that's why they call it a thumb screw"! LMAO! Hard headed redneck!   LOL   Rick
SHAMELESS View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SHAMELESS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2015 at 5:45am
an old combine we had had a needle in the carb, if it sat for over 3-4 days, we'd hafta take that needle out and work it up and down, it was spring loaded, but would stick. that allowed it to start and run fine after doing that.
AaronSEIA View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AaronSEIA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2015 at 6:15am
I doubt it's ethanol in the gas.  My WC sits for months on end with E10 in it and it'll fire third pull every time.  Same with my B110 and B10.  Sit for months with E10 in them and they fire right off. 

Back to the basics.  Make sure it's static timed right ( plugs on right wires), make sure the bowl has gas, you already checked the vacuum.  All it needs is air, fuel, and fire at the right time.  I assume it ran after the engine work?
AaronSEIA
TomYaz View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomYaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2015 at 6:25am
Originally posted by AaronSEIA AaronSEIA wrote:

I doubt it's ethanol in the gas.  My WC sits for months on end with E10 in it and it'll fire third pull every time.  Same with my B110 and B10.  Sit for months with E10 in them and they fire right off. 

Back to the basics.  Make sure it's static timed right ( plugs on right wires), make sure the bowl has gas, you already checked the vacuum.  All it needs is air, fuel, and fire at the right time.  I assume it ran after the engine work?
AaronSEIA

Yes, ran great when brought home - better than ever with new plugs, new head, rebuilt car. Unloaded it, parked it in shed and never ran it till now.  Has to be crap in the carb. 
DougS View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DougS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2015 at 7:20am
Remove the carb. Open the fuel shut-off under the fuel tank and let a bit of fuel run freely. If you are afraid to open the carb yourself take it to whomever rebuilt your tractor and have them look at the carb.
stu(ON) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stu(ON) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2015 at 8:04am
Again, I will post this link for anyone who wishes to probe the internals of their TSX carb.

I have a Zenith, so won't comment more.
Brian G. NY View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian G.  NY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2015 at 8:04am
The prior owner of my D-17 had had the head done and put on a real nice looking used intake manifold with all new gaskets. He could never get it to run on but 2 cylinders.
The day I bought it, I installed new plugs which did not help.
When he told me he had put on a used manifold, I shot some carb cleaner around the intake ports while turning over the engine with the starter....fired right up!
Took the manifold off and used a BIG file to level off all the ports on the manifold and put it back together. Been running great ever since. 
alleyyooper View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alleyyooper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2015 at 8:29am
Puffing black smoke. Sounds like the engine is flooded to me. I would put every thing back together and find some one with a tractor or pick up truck, turn the gas off and pull the tractor for a bit then open the gas petcock back up and pull it some more should start.
Get that engine rolling a few RPM's more that the starter can.

Al
TomYaz View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomYaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2015 at 10:03am
Originally posted by john(MI) john(MI) wrote:

If you tried ether and it didn't start then there is something wrong with the spark.  I had a similar problem with my D14 and new points and condensor took care of it.

Well I guess you win the prize. SLI sent a guy out. It was the distributor cap. Center point worn.  But I know I had *some* spark else there would have been no ether flame/smoke out the stack... Boy I really HATE these aggravating issues...What a time waste this was...
at least it wont be tooo expensive.
only AC orange View Drop Down
Silver Level Access
Silver Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote only AC orange Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2022 at 12:35pm
Maybe distributor cap or dust cap is cracked? Found that to be problem on a D-14 we tried to revive couple weeks ago. Replaced dust cap and fired and ran like supposed to.
TomYaz View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomYaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2022 at 12:40pm
Crap! why didnt you tell me 5 years ago when I asked!  STILL cant get it started!!  ;)
Ray54 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2022 at 12:55pm
WinkMy how time flies,................. count again Tom. LOL I have way to many projects that have stalled out too. Cry This that and the other part of me that don't do what they use to do, probably never get done.Cry
TomYaz View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomYaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2022 at 1:14pm
Originally posted by Ray54 Ray54 wrote:

WinkMy how time flies,................. count again Tom. LOL I have way to many projects that have stalled out too. Cry This that and the other part of me that don't do what they use to do, probably never get done.Cry

yeah 7 yrs...but I was being ez on 'em LOL! ...I got the tractor going, was just being cute...right now I am stalled out trying to convert it to a NF.
tbran View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tbran Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2022 at 9:00pm
New head work,,, fire out of the carb w/ether... you have an intake (s) stuck open - pull the tappet cover or check compression.. or the distributor has moved..

When told "it's not the money,it's the principle", remember, it's always the money..
Steve in NJ View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve in NJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2022 at 8:47am
Yazzie, the way your luck is running, ya better watch when you go to the bathroom, your Johnson might fall off!   LOL!  Tractor won't start, no ice cream, that ain't right!

Okay, I've read everybody's responses to this possible problem, but it sounds to me like its a spark problem, not a fuel issue. Your smoke is probably raw fuel. You can have spark down at the points, but it may not be reaching the plugs. We all go for the worst thing first, and usually it turns out to be somethin' stupid and ya look like Telly Savalas when you find the problem. Here in NJ, the weather has been nuts. One day 69 degrees, next day 37 degrees. You're in PA and you've had it worst with this goofy weather. I would simply pop the Distributor cap off, take a little Brakekleen and give the points a spritz and run a rag through them. NOT A FILE!  You guys with your files are killin' me. You remove the cadmium plating off the points when you file them. The plating protects the points from corrosion. You make the condition worst when you file em' removing some of the cad plating. The next time you try to use the Tractor you have the same problem and you're in there filing points again to get it started and blaming the points. Yeah, there's a lot of Chinese crap out there fir' sure.  I read last year about someone bad mouthing SMP Blue Streak points. They had to keep filing them. UGH! Anyway, from the weather changes, it wouldn't surprise me if the points are oxidized and the spark is going to the breaker plate and not through the Distributor cap to the plugs. You see all kinds of spark, but its probably grounding to the breaker plate.  If you cleaned the points the way I suggested, and it still doesn't fire off, I would next try a condenser. If that Tractor ran beautiful when you parked it, it's gotta' be somethin' dumb and simple for it not to start. We always think the worst and start rippin' and tearin' into stuff and its almost always winds up to be somethin' stupid......  Check it out Tommy...
Steve@B&B
39'RC, 43'WC, 48'B, 49'G, 50'WF, 65 Big 10, 67'B-110, 75'716H, 2-620's, & a Motorhead wife
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic