This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

D17 running rough

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hunt4Allis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2020 at 6:42pm
It's no show tractor, definitely has work clothes on😁
It does look rough, but at least there's not a quarter to a half-inch of gunk covering the whole thing anymore.
It makes me laugh because it's kind of like other guys at work that have 60 to $80,000 trucks that never even used the four-wheel drive or tow anything or even put mulch in the bed (a waste, imo)
I'm more concerned with how well it operates not looking for a showpiece that never leaves the concrete floor of someone's shop...
Thanks Matt πŸ‘
Sponsored Links

FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2020 at 6:48pm
Just saying that if the carb is that oily on the outside of "it", maybe you've got some leaking seals/ gaskets elsewhere that might make a carb rebuild "moot"?
Hunt4Allis View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hunt4Allis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2020 at 6:58pm
Next project maybe,
For now my curiosity is in fixing/ cleaning carb to run like it did before it got clogged with bugs.
One thing at a time...
They used a rubber hose that is 6" long to connect to carb instead of running the steel gas line the whole way from bowl to carb( which I'm sure has been leaking a long time creating a wet exterior all the time letting it collect 60 years of dust and dirt on it)
SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2020 at 9:54pm
Not sure about this but I think there is a screen inside the 90deg elbow on the carb. Leave that fitting screwed into it to turn it out or you may distort it. I guess you know to remove tube above power screw(inside)to get bowl off?
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hunt4Allis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2020 at 7:01am
Okay so you're saying the 90-degree elbow that the gas line attaches to has a screen before the carburetor? No I am not sure what you are talking about with the screw to get to the bowl?
CTuckerNWIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CTuckerNWIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2020 at 8:07am
Originally posted by Hunt4Allis Hunt4Allis wrote:

No I am not sure what you are talking about with the screw to get to the bowl?

Some TSX carbs have the power metering screw come in from the top half and are long and extend into the bottom half.
 This carb has the power metering screw in the bottom 'front' side of the bowl and does not interfere with splitting the halves.
 Here is a Marv Schebler PDF file that may come in handy.
http://fergusontractors.org/nfs/wp-content/uploads/technical-articles/Carburetor-Information.pdf

Edited by CTuckerNWIL - 26 Mar 2020 at 8:16am
http://www.ae-ta.com
Lena 1935 WC12xxx, Willie 1951 CA6xx Dad bought new, 1954WD45 PS, 1960 D17 NF
Sugarmaker View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2020 at 8:17am
Matt,
 Your on your way to a good working clean carb! Good job. These are good projects and I am sure your tractor will probably run better too. These may or may not have a screen at the carb entrance? Most of mine have not, but i have not done one of these carbs like you have. 
Looking forward to following your work. Good pictures of your progress too! Thanks. 
Good pictures prompt more good questions and we can all learn some things!
 Regards,
 Chris
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2020 at 9:50am
Originally posted by Hunt4Allis Hunt4Allis wrote:

Okay so you're saying the 90-degree elbow that the gas line attaches to has a screen before the carburetor? No I am not sure what you are talking about with the screw to get to the bowl?

Some do have the screen. You won't know until you remove the fitting. Been a long time since had mine apart but I thought it had the tube behind that external power screw...like a Briggs &Stratton.
WF owner View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WF owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2020 at 10:42am
I think this is the elbow/screen Steve M C/IL is talking about:

Has anyone used this screen that goes fits snugly into the top of the sediment bowl assembly, inside the gas tank? I just got a couple. I'm hoping they will help the plugging the inlet of the sediment bowl on a mildly dirty tank.

Dave(inMA) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave(inMA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2020 at 1:29pm
I use a similar fuel tank filter in my Model A Fords. Works fine there - doesn't fit the sed bowls on my AC tractors, though. Haven't used the elbow version.

Dave
WC, CA, D14, WD45
CTuckerNWIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CTuckerNWIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2020 at 7:43am
Originally posted by SteveM C/IL SteveM C/IL wrote:

Been a long time since had mine apart but I thought it had the tube behind that external power screw...like a Briggs &Stratton.

It does have a 'tube' behind the 'external power screw' but that screw is on the bottom front of the bowl, not the top, and doesn't interfere with splitting the carb in half.
 If the power adjust needle is on top, the needle goes way down into the bottom and has to be removed to split it.
 Pic 1 below. The TSX B has the power metering screw on top and has to be removed first. Pic 2 The TSX C has the power metering screw on the bottom and does not have to be removed for disassembly.
Amazon.com: Ferguson To20 Te20 To30 Replacement Tractor Carb ...
NAA carburetor adjustment - Yesterdays Tractors
http://www.ae-ta.com
Lena 1935 WC12xxx, Willie 1951 CA6xx Dad bought new, 1954WD45 PS, 1960 D17 NF
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hunt4Allis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2020 at 3:24pm
Ok,
I have a question about one of the floats in my carburetor was bent when I disassembled it (not the arms that hold the floats but the actual float is bent in, in other words it does not look the same as the other side and I'm wondering how do I check the floats to make sure they're not damaged or allowing gas to get inside of them?
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave(inMA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2020 at 4:28pm
Hey Matt - submerge the float in a bucket of water. Should try to float. If you see air bubbles, it's got a hole somewhere.
WC, CA, D14, WD45
WF owner View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WF owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2020 at 4:45pm
Originally posted by Dave(inMA) Dave(inMA) wrote:

Hey Matt - submerge the float in a bucket of water. Should try to float. If you see air bubbles, it's got a hole somewhere.

....and after doing that for several minutes, you should be able to hear water moving inside it, when you shake it.

Edited by WF owner - 27 Mar 2020 at 4:46pm
Ed (Ont) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed (Ont) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2020 at 5:19pm
Submerge it in a small container of gasoline. Gas will leak into it quicker than water if it has small leak. Water may not leak where gas will.
Alberta Phil View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alberta Phil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2020 at 7:31pm
I just submerge them in a small container of warm water. The expanding air will come out of any bad seams or pin holes and you will see the bubbles
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hunt4Allis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2020 at 7:36am
Before and after
Got her all cleaned up/ rebuilt with new carb kit and ready to hook back up and give it a go🀞
There were a lot of the small ports that were closed off completely and a lot of junk pretty much everywhere inside of the carb, I don't think it's ever been cleaned since manufactured in 1959 so it always feels good to do your best at getting something back to decent condition.

Edited by Hunt4Allis - 28 Mar 2020 at 7:38am
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2020 at 7:58am
Matt,
 That is looking a lot better! Hope the D17 runs better for you too! Thanks for the updates on the carb rebuild.
Regards,
 Chris
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hunt4Allis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2020 at 8:13am
Yup, thanks
I'm having trouble finding carb setting for lower main adjust needle screw in/out?
I did adjust / bend float where directions showed to a measurement of 1/4" between float and gasket

Edited by Hunt4Allis - 28 Mar 2020 at 8:16am
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave(inMA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2020 at 10:12am
Matt, I'm having the same challenge with the carb on my WD45. It's likely a partly blocked passageway or jet in my case. Could be the same with your D17 just from running it as the crud moves around inside the carb. It can take several cleanings to get all the passageways cleaned out. One thing to try is submerging the two halves in carb cleaning fluid - I think you can still buy it - for a day or so. Then blow every passageway dry. Also try gently reaming out any passageway you can get a reamer into. I use a light paperclip - unbend it, then shape it to get into passageways.

One other thing that can happen. In some of these old carbs, some of the needle screws tighten against seats that are built into the casting. Those seats can be damaged by overtightening, crud buildup, etc. If that happens, adjusting them can be frustrating - adjusting the needle screw doesn't seem to change much.

HTH
Dave

Edited by Dave(inMA) - 28 Mar 2020 at 10:13am
WC, CA, D14, WD45
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hunt4Allis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2020 at 11:11am
Yep all cleaned now and reassemble it yesterday but don't know where to set main jet needle( rich/ lean setting I believe?)
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave(inMA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2020 at 11:35am
Ah. I think I misunderstood your earlier question. Try closing it - gently - all the way. Then open 1.5 turns and try that. Adjust from there.

Edited by Dave(inMA) - 28 Mar 2020 at 11:45am
WC, CA, D14, WD45
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hunt4Allis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2020 at 1:00pm
Oh, I know the idle adjust screw is all the way in then out one to one-and-a-half turns but did not know that the main jet bottom screw on the very bottom of the carburetor was the same?
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave(inMA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2020 at 1:14pm
I'm no expert, Matt, but my understanding of these carbs is to start with 1.5 turns out on the idle and main and tweak from there. You want the engine warmed up. Tweak with engine not at idle - you want the high speed circuit engaged. 
WC, CA, D14, WD45
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hunt4Allis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2020 at 2:48pm
Well, Yahoo! D-17 is up and running again and actually idles all the way down to its lowest setting on the steering column lever and stays idling very low speed... Thanks to all who gave me information on getting this fixed πŸ‘
It does however seem to have a misfire about every 10 seconds or so probably needs new components in the timing I'm guessing plugs wires etc...
Man it feels great to know that if I need it to clean up the pasture with the rear blade now and grade our driveway, I have a tractor that at least starts and runs like it should( for the most part)
Thanks Matt
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave(inMA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2020 at 4:46pm
Well, good to hear, Matt! About your misfire...I have a similar thing with my WD45. Could be a valve not set properly or wobble in the distributor shaft or ??? Have you worked it hard recently? Maybe it just needs to be pushed hard for a few hours.

Dave
WC, CA, D14, WD45
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hunt4Allis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2020 at 5:53pm
Very well a valve needed to be set correctly.
I bought this tractor last Summer and the only thing I've done with it so far is cut our three acre hay field with a 80t sickle mower that I fixed up, so no I have not really run it very hard at all and while I was using it to sickle mower it was spittering and sputtering so bad that I almost couldn't finish the field (hopefully I've got that issue taking care of because it was mostly an issue when it was trying to go up a hill under load)

Edited by Hunt4Allis - 28 Mar 2020 at 5:56pm
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2020 at 6:02pm
Matt,
 Good job getting the tractor running with the rebuilt carb! Just one of the many things to keep these old tractors functioning!
 Regards,
 Chris
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic