This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

D 15 steering shaft bushing

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACinSC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: D 15 steering shaft bushing
    Posted: 03 Apr 2023 at 3:43pm
My steering wheel has a good bit of play in this bushing #70228255 . Looks like if I pull the steering wheel maybe I can put a new one on top of the old worn bushing , and just drive the old one down some ? Am I dreaming or is this do-able ? Guess the shaft could also be worn out ? Thanks !

Edited by ACinSC - 03 Apr 2023 at 6:39pm
Sponsored Links

IBWD MIke View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2023 at 8:43am
Both will likely be worn. I've replaced the bushing on some WD 45's. One I welded the shaft up and filed it back round. It is kind of a job but not as bad as you might think. If a person had a lathe.....
ACinSC View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACinSC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2023 at 9:35am
Thanks Mike, I was just wondering if there was a easy way to replace that bushing. Now that I think about it I seem to remember you can't get to it from the top? Thanks again
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2023 at 10:00am
I have made new bushings and just set on top of old... or pushed them down a short distance... on several "B" tractors.... i assume yours is similar... take off the steering wheel and look.. tell you real quick.
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
ACinSC View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACinSC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2023 at 11:09am
Yeah Steve , that's what I was thinking . Seems the control lever assembly covers that bearing now that I think about it . I'll pull the steering wheel soon and have a look . Thanks !

Edited by ACinSC - 04 Apr 2023 at 5:45pm
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2023 at 12:35pm
On the B, the steering column is the same size as a piece of steel conduit ( 1.5 inch ??)... There are two dimples in the column ( punch mark from outside).. and the bushing slides down the tube and gets STUCK at the dimples.. that positions it.
ACinSC View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACinSC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2023 at 1:00pm
Just looked and don't see any dimples . Could be covered with paint ? I'll pull the wheel and see what I find . Thanks Steve !
ACinSC View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACinSC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2023 at 11:17am
Pulled my steering wheel today . Still can't quite see how to replace this bushing ? Fav son should post some pics soon . Any help is much appreciated . Thanks !
WeisAC2 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WeisAC2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2023 at 11:31am

Model 70 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Model 70 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2023 at 6:47pm
Best way to do it is take the tank off,remove the universal joints,pull the upper bushing out,take a 1 inch piece of pipe and drive the bottom bushing out also, then replace both of them. Couple hour job and pretty simple.
Model 70 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Model 70 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2023 at 6:51pm
Oh forgot to mention,once you remove the universal joints pull the shaft out to get at the bushings. Slide hammer pulls the top one out pretty easily. Grease up the ID of new bushings after installing. Shaft will fit tight at first but once you rotate it as you install it they will loosen up.
Model 70 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Model 70 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2023 at 6:54pm
I’d also replace the universal joints also if you want to fix it up right. Joints are cheap.
ACinSC View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACinSC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2023 at 8:25am
Thanks Scott, good info !
Model 70 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Model 70 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2023 at 10:40am
Grind the ends of the pins holding joints to shaft flush,drill a pilot hole through them 1/8” or better and they will pound right out.that’s how I do it anyway. May have roll pins in it if it’s been apart before.
ACinSC View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACinSC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2023 at 10:49am
Thanks again , Scott ! Guess once the gas tank is off things are easier to get to ?

Edited by ACinSC - 07 Apr 2023 at 10:53am
Model 70 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Model 70 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2023 at 1:00pm
Absolutely. Makes it really simple.
ACinSC View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACinSC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2023 at 1:09pm
With my glasses on and a flashlight I can now see the bushing . Tried to knock it down a little like Steve said with no luck . Plan to pull the tank , remove the u-joint and steering shaft . Guess they make a slide hammer/puller that will fit inside the old 7/8" I.D. bush ? When that's out I can knock out the lower bush . THANKS Scott , Steve and Mike !!
Model 70 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Model 70 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2023 at 6:34pm
Once you remove the shaft you will more than likely be able to bust the old upper bushing with a small chisel. Remove both pins on lowest joint by bell housing. The joint under the tank just remove the upper pin and tap it off the upper shaft.
ACinSC View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACinSC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2023 at 7:36pm
Sounds good Scott. Have small chisels but no slide hammer. Thanks for the help
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2023 at 7:51pm
AC... dont think i was much help... On the B-C the shaft is attached SOLID at the gear box and extends up the hollow tube with a bushing at the top.. It is easily pushed down to install new.... and the shaft is tapered with a KEY way for the wheel..

Appears your D15 has a short shaft with U-joint with a bushing at the bottom and top.. That would allow a LOT more WIGGLE due to the short shaft and two bushings..  Looks like Scott has the plan.. Guess we BOTH learned something !!

Edited by steve(ill) - 07 Apr 2023 at 7:52pm
Model 70 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Model 70 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2023 at 8:47pm
Glad I could help out. I’ve learned a ton on this site from everyone that it’s great to be able to share a few ideas.
ACinSC View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACinSC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2023 at 6:48am
Thanks again for the help guys!
ACinSC View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACinSC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2023 at 1:05pm
Drained my gas tank today . Just my luck it was half full , about 8 gallons . I've replaced the lower u-joint and it does have roll pins in it , upper u-joint looks O. E  . Hope to pull the tank soon and go from there . Again Thanks for the help and Happy Easter !!
Model 70 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Model 70 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2023 at 2:04pm
Making good progress.
ACinSC View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACinSC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2023 at 11:54am
Pulled my gas tank . I'm wondering if I remove the lower u-joint if the steering shaft with upper u-joint will pull down and out ? Be nice to have it out and on the workbench . Thanks !!
WeisAC2 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WeisAC2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2023 at 2:27pm

ACinSC View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACinSC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2023 at 2:41pm
Fav son posted some pics of the upper u-joint . It looks original to me , but I don't feel any play in it . The bushing above it is quite worn though . Thanks !

Edited by ACinSC - 10 Apr 2023 at 2:44pm
Model 70 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Model 70 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2023 at 4:51pm
I believe you have to split the upper and lower shaft to get them both out. There’s not quite enough bend to pull both shafts out while they are connected. Just drive the upper pin out on upper universal joint   Leave the upper joint connected to lower shaft. Then both shafts will come completely out. Universal joints are 20 bucks at Agco. I always replace them regardless. But that’s just my opinion. 👍🏻
ACinSC View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACinSC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2023 at 7:48pm
Yeah Scott, not much wiggle room. Thanks again
Model 70 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Model 70 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2023 at 8:11pm
In your second pic ones you remove bottom u-joint,grind the head off of that upper solid drift pin. Drill a pilot hole through it and drive pin out and I’d almost bet you can tap that upper joint right off the upper that. Then remove both shafts and then remove the bushings. You may not need to drill a pilot hole. I always do cause I don’t have any luck pounding them out solid. I suppose heat would work but it only takes a couple minutes to drill it with a good bit.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic