Forum Description: everything about Allis-Chalmers farm equipment
URL: https://www.allischalmers.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=194397
Printed Date: 16 Sep 2024 at 1:24pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.10 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: D 15 steering shaft bushing
Posted By: ACinSC
Subject: D 15 steering shaft bushing
Date Posted: 03 Apr 2023 at 3:43pm
My steering wheel has a good bit of play in this bushing #70228255 . Looks like if I pull the steering wheel maybe I can put a new one on top of the old worn bushing , and just drive the old one down some ? Am I dreaming or is this do-able ? Guess the shaft could also be worn out ? Thanks !

Replies:
Posted By: IBWD MIke
Date Posted: 04 Apr 2023 at 8:43am
Both will likely be worn. I've replaced the bushing on some WD 45's. One I welded the shaft up and filed it back round. It is kind of a job but not as bad as you might think. If a person had a lathe.....

Date Posted: 04 Apr 2023 at 9:35am
Thanks Mike, I was just wondering if there was a easy way to replace that bushing. Now that I think about it I seem to remember you can't get to it from the top? Thanks again

Posted By: steve(ill)
Date Posted: 04 Apr 2023 at 10:00am
I have made new bushings and just set on top of old... or pushed them down a short distance... on several "B" tractors.... i assume yours is similar... take off the steering wheel and look.. tell you real quick.

-------------
Like them all, but love the "B"s.

Date Posted: 04 Apr 2023 at 11:09am
Yeah Steve , that's what I was thinking . Seems the control lever assembly covers that bearing now that I think about it . I'll pull the steering wheel soon and have a look . Thanks !

Date Posted: 04 Apr 2023 at 12:35pm
On the B, the steering column is the same size as a piece of steel conduit ( 1.5 inch ??)... There are two dimples in the column ( punch mark from outside).. and the bushing slides down the tube and gets STUCK at the dimples.. that positions it.

-------------

Date Posted: 04 Apr 2023 at 1:00pm
Just looked and don't see any dimples . Could be covered with paint ? I'll pull the wheel and see what I find . Thanks Steve !

Date Posted: 06 Apr 2023 at 11:17am
Pulled my steering wheel today . Still can't quite see how to replace this bushing ? Fav son should post some pics soon . Any help is much appreciated . Thanks !

Posted By: WeisAC2
Date Posted: 06 Apr 2023 at 11:31am

Posted By: Model 70
Date Posted: 06 Apr 2023 at 6:47pm
Best way to do it is take the tank off,remove the universal joints,pull the upper bushing out,take a 1 inch piece of pipe and drive the bottom bushing out also, then replace both of them. Couple hour job and pretty simple.

Date Posted: 06 Apr 2023 at 6:51pm
Oh forgot to mention,once you remove the universal joints pull the shaft out to get at the bushings. Slide hammer pulls the top one out pretty easily. Grease up the ID of new bushings after installing. Shaft will fit tight at first but once you rotate it as you install it they will loosen up.

Date Posted: 06 Apr 2023 at 6:54pm
I’d also replace the universal joints also if you want to fix it up right. Joints are cheap.

Date Posted: 07 Apr 2023 at 8:25am
Thanks Scott, good info !

Date Posted: 07 Apr 2023 at 10:40am
Grind the ends of the pins holding joints to shaft flush,drill a pilot hole through them 1/8” or better and they will pound right out.that’s how I do it anyway. May have roll pins in it if it’s been apart before.

Date Posted: 07 Apr 2023 at 10:49am
Thanks again , Scott ! Guess once the gas tank is off things are easier to get to ?

Date Posted: 07 Apr 2023 at 1:00pm
Absolutely. Makes it really simple.

Date Posted: 07 Apr 2023 at 1:09pm
With my glasses on and a flashlight I can now see the bushing . Tried to knock it down a little like Steve said with no luck . Plan to pull the tank , remove the u-joint and steering shaft . Guess they make a slide hammer/puller that will fit inside the old 7/8" I.D. bush ? When that's out I can knock out the lower bush . THANKS Scott , Steve and Mike !!

Date Posted: 07 Apr 2023 at 6:34pm
Once you remove the shaft you will more than likely be able to bust the old upper bushing with a small chisel. Remove both pins on lowest joint by bell housing. The joint under the tank just remove the upper pin and tap it off the upper shaft.

Date Posted: 07 Apr 2023 at 7:36pm
Sounds good Scott. Have small chisels but no slide hammer. Thanks for the help

Date Posted: 07 Apr 2023 at 7:51pm
AC... dont think i was much help... On the B-C the shaft is attached SOLID at the gear box and extends up the hollow tube with a bushing at the top.. It is easily pushed down to install new.... and the shaft is tapered with a KEY way for the wheel..

Appears your D15 has a short shaft with U-joint with a bushing at the bottom and top.. That would allow a LOT more WIGGLE due to the short shaft and two bushings..  Looks like Scott has the plan.. Guess we BOTH learned something !!

-------------

Date Posted: 07 Apr 2023 at 8:47pm
Glad I could help out. I’ve learned a ton on this site from everyone that it’s great to be able to share a few ideas.

Date Posted: 08 Apr 2023 at 6:48am
Thanks again for the help guys!

Date Posted: 08 Apr 2023 at 1:05pm
Drained my gas tank today . Just my luck it was half full , about 8 gallons . I've replaced the lower u-joint and it does have roll pins in it , upper u-joint looks O. E  . Hope to pull the tank soon and go from there . Again Thanks for the help and Happy Easter !!

Date Posted: 08 Apr 2023 at 2:04pm
Making good progress.

Date Posted: 10 Apr 2023 at 11:54am
Pulled my gas tank . I'm wondering if I remove the lower u-joint if the steering shaft with upper u-joint will pull down and out ? Be nice to have it out and on the workbench . Thanks !!

Posted By: WeisAC2
Date Posted: 10 Apr 2023 at 2:27pm

Date Posted: 10 Apr 2023 at 2:41pm
Fav son posted some pics of the upper u-joint . It looks original to me , but I don't feel any play in it . The bushing above it is quite worn though . Thanks !

Date Posted: 10 Apr 2023 at 4:51pm
I believe you have to split the upper and lower shaft to get them both out. There’s not quite enough bend to pull both shafts out while they are connected. Just drive the upper pin out on upper universal joint   Leave the upper joint connected to lower shaft. Then both shafts will come completely out. Universal joints are 20 bucks at Agco. I always replace them regardless. But that’s just my opinion. 👍🏻

Date Posted: 10 Apr 2023 at 7:48pm
Yeah Scott, not much wiggle room. Thanks again

Date Posted: 10 Apr 2023 at 8:11pm
In your second pic ones you remove bottom u-joint,grind the head off of that upper solid drift pin. Drill a pilot hole through it and drive pin out and I’d almost bet you can tap that upper joint right off the upper that. Then remove both shafts and then remove the bushings. You may not need to drill a pilot hole. I always do cause I don’t have any luck pounding them out solid. I suppose heat would work but it only takes a couple minutes to drill it with a good bit.

Date Posted: 10 Apr 2023 at 8:48pm
Sounds like a plan. I'll find out soon. Thanks

Date Posted: 11 Apr 2023 at 2:04pm
Making progress ! Had to drive lowest roll pin a little , then rotate shaft and grind long end off a couple times . Have bottom u-joint off . Now for the top one . Thanks !

Date Posted: 13 Apr 2023 at 11:11am
Have the upper u-joint apart . Had to drill the pin several times , from 1/8" to 13/64" before it would drive out . Guess it's been in place since 1961 . Now to remove/replace the bushings . Not sure about replacing the u-joint . It seems fine and the catalog I got yesterday has them for about $100 . Gonna check with Brenda . Thanks for all the help !!

Date Posted: 13 Apr 2023 at 6:04pm
Agco dealer here sells a brand named weasler. Part number 200-0600. They’re 20 bucks apiece. 👍🏻

Date Posted: 13 Apr 2023 at 7:17pm
Thanks Scott, plan to check with Sandy Lake soon.

Date Posted: 13 Apr 2023 at 8:04pm
Don’t remember if the original joints are cross drilled all the way through or not,but if they are and yours is tight you could always drill a hole in the center and put a zerk in it and pump some grease in it. Just an idea.

Posted By: AC720Man
Date Posted: 13 Apr 2023 at 8:55pm
I just replaced my X joint on my D17 series 1 at the bell housing. If your yokes are still tight on the shafts save yourself big bucks and get the x joint only. Checked with Brenda and the entire joint was $140 plus. DJS was $125, but they also sold just the X joint.......around $17. Yep, and it’s a quality part with a grease fitting. Highly recommend it. I can tell you how the joint comes apart. A little patience and I saved myself over $100.

-------------
1968 B-208, 1976 720 (2 of them)Danco brush hog, single bottom plow,52" snow thrower, belly mower,rear tine tiller, rear blade, front blade, 57"sickle bar,1983 917 hydro, 1968 7hp sno-bee, 1968 190XTD

Posted By: AC720Man
Date Posted: 13 Apr 2023 at 9:01pm
Weasler is a good brand, I would go with them although what I got from DJS seames to be good. I think Weasler is USA made and I wished I had thought about them. I would pay the difference for USA made.

-------------
1968 B-208, 1976 720 (2 of them)Danco brush hog, single bottom plow,52" snow thrower, belly mower,rear tine tiller, rear blade, front blade, 57"sickle bar,1983 917 hydro, 1968 7hp sno-bee, 1968 190XTD

Date Posted: 14 Apr 2023 at 6:53am
Thanks guys. Good info!

Date Posted: 14 Apr 2023 at 7:17am
I should have mentioned just replace the u-joint. Not the entire assembly.

Date Posted: 14 Apr 2023 at 10:11am
70228906 u-joint not in stock , cost $313.40 . Repair cross is $17 . My old one seems fine , may just re-use it ? Thanks !

Date Posted: 14 Apr 2023 at 6:39pm
You will probably be fine,i always change the 17.00 part you mention,a lot of times the joint is tight but there’s no grease left in the caps,it’s a quick and easy part to replace when it’s all apart,if it goes out in the future then you have to do it all over again. Just my opinion.

Date Posted: 14 Apr 2023 at 7:04pm
Thanks for all your help Scott . I've already got it back together. Should be fine . I'm 10 years older than my D 15 , and I'm in great shape. Yeah right !!

Date Posted: 14 Apr 2023 at 9:00pm
Great job 👍🏻

Date Posted: 15 Apr 2023 at 6:38am
Sure easier with everyone's help. Thanks!

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.10 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2017 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net