This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Cover Crop ??

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cover Crop ??
    Posted: 22 Jul 2021 at 8:09pm
Holy !! I just drove past a field of soybeans that were planted after last falls "cover crop" . This field has EVERY weed that "I've" ever seen that NEVER had them before in the past 15 years that I've been driving past this property. To those that plant a CC, what's the percentage of weed seed that you've read on the bags ?
Sponsored Links

dr p View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr p Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2021 at 8:13pm
The seeds are usually there, just best practice management keeps there from being a problem. Sounds like the owner of this field is maybe starting to transition into organic.
FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2021 at 8:22pm
No, by NO means is this BTO getting into organic !! They blew in the CC with a 400+hp Deere wheeled 4x4 with a "high speed" drill/seeder last fallWink
dr p View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr p Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2021 at 5:58am
Guess it depends what he put in for a cover crop. King's agriseed is a small dealer around us. They make a lot of blends for cover crops with radishes, chicory and other weird stuff. If fact they call one of them ray's crazy mix. Maybe he didn't round up the cover crop
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2021 at 7:20am
I've only ever used rye as a CC. One bag( bushel ?) for the 1/4 ac veggie patch. Never noticed any weed seeds as I hand broadcastted the rye out....
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2021 at 7:28am
There are billions of weed seeds in the soil, expose them to sunshine and they'll grow.  Been a fantastic year for weeds it seems.  Cover crops or not, you still have to spray (or, organic you cultivate and whatever and hope and pray for the best....)  Weeds never cease to amaze me.  Kill them year after year after year, turn your back or get a little to late on spraying and you have a carpet of weeds.  Even a couple % weed seed in a bag of seed would be a drop in the bucket compared to the seed in the soil.

Edited by Tbone95 - 23 Jul 2021 at 7:29am
Red Bank View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Bank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2021 at 8:49am
Originally posted by FREEDGUY FREEDGUY wrote:

No, by NO means is this BTO getting into organic !! They blew in the CC with a 400+hp Deere wheeled 4x4 with a "high speed" drill/seeder last fallWink
You do know that organic doesn’t mean you have to plant with a team of mules, right?
Ray54 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2021 at 10:54am
Tbone95 said a mouth full. Who every came with the idea that you could get rid of a weed after 7 years of keeping it out is lying.

I believe seeds can live in the ground thousands of years. Yes 99% of seeds may be dead in 7 years, but it only takes one seed to grow. The nasty weeds  always make the most seeds.
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2021 at 12:12pm
Amaranth species have been shown to produce 140,000 SEEDS PER PLANT!!!! That’s a soybean population per acre almost.
FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2021 at 6:41pm
Originally posted by Red Bank Red Bank wrote:

You do know that organic doesn’t mean you have to plant with a team of mules, right?

What a RICHARD Head reply WinkWink !! Thanks for it and I've "noted" your lack of  post #'s Big smileBig smile
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2021 at 6:45pm

What a RICHARD Head reply WinkWink !! Thanks for it and I've "noted" your lack of  post #'s Big smileBig smile

Aah the post number jealosy thing, again... Lets see, you have more than Red Bank, so that makes you better than him.  Conversely, I have more than you!  Catch me if you can!Wink

Do yourself a favor, stop bullying others, might be the beer talking, may just be your personality...Beer

Edited by DiyDave - 23 Jul 2021 at 6:46pm
Source: Babylon Bee. Sponsored by BRAWNDO, its got what you need!
FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2021 at 6:48pm
Originally posted by Tbone95 Tbone95 wrote:

There are billions of weed seeds in the soil, expose them to sunshine and they'll grow.  Been a fantastic year for weeds it seems.  Cover crops or not, you still have to spray (or, organic you cultivate and whatever and hope and pray for the best....)  Weeds never cease to amaze me.  Kill them year after year after year, turn your back or get a little to late on spraying and you have a carpet of weeds.  Even a couple % weed seed in a bag of seed would be a drop in the bucket compared to the seed in the soil.

There's NEVER been foxtail, giaint ragweed, button weed, AND mares tail in this area in the last 20 years !!! It's has to be the CC  seed Ouch
FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2021 at 6:52pm
[QUOTE=Tbone95]Amaranth species have been shown to produce 140,000 SEEDS PER PLANT!!!! That’s a soybean population per acre almost. [/QUOTE
I recall our old seed rep telling HORROR STORIES about the Amarath weeds Ouch
FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2021 at 7:01pm
Originally posted by DiyDave DiyDave wrote:

Aah the post number jealosy thing, again... Lets see, you have more than Red Bank, so that makes you better than him.  Conversely, I have more than you!  Catch me if you can!Wink

Do yourself a favor, stop bullying others, might be the beer talking, may just be your personality...Beer
So we're moving EAST from Missouri to  Maryland WinkWink There's more  POST #'s that bully respondents IMO, and I made a factual reply Clap What's YOUR thoughts on the topic at hand ??  
dr p View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr p Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2021 at 7:02pm
We never see any foxtail in a dry year but in a wet year with fields with large amounts of nitrogen, it can destroy a soybean field in two weeks
FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2021 at 7:35pm
Thanks Dr pepper Wink, its been 30 years since I've see foxtail, now that I think about it, I can't recall the last time I've seen "button" weed Cry . The ONLY thing this field was missing was GYMPSUM WEED Confused !!
Red Bank View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Bank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2021 at 11:38pm

Originally posted by DiyDave DiyDave wrote:

So we're moving EAST from Missouri to  Maryland WinkWink There's more  POST #'s that bully respondents IMO, and I made a factual reply Clap What's YOUR thoughts on the topic at hand ??  
The topic at hand is I made a factual reply you didn’t. And if anything was being a Richard Head here it’s you. So I guess someone over at YT didn’t actually bring up weeds and cover crops so that means you were sitting at the railroad track looking at the field to your right thinking about how hot your beer was getting while you were waiting on the train to pass and you noticed the weeds?
Red Bank View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Bank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2021 at 11:42pm

Holy [IMG]uploads/1/censored.bmp"> !! I just drove past a field of soybeans that were planted after last falls "cover crop" . This field has EVERY weed that "I've" ever seen that NEVER had them before in the past 15 years that I've been driving past this property. To those that plant a CC, what's the percentage of weed seed that you've read on the bags ?
Now before you cry about me going off topic have you ever considered the field got skipped on spraying by accident?
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2021 at 7:00am

Originally posted by Tbone95 Tbone95 wrote:

There's NEVER been foxtail, giaint ragweed, button weed, AND mares tail in this area in the last 20 years !!! It's has to be the CC  seed Ouch

Well then it HAS to be. K, whatever. Or they changed tillage practices a year or two ago. Or something else. But you know. And….still had it been sprayed timely, you would have never noticed.
AC7060IL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC7060IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2021 at 8:54am
Freedguy, the field you mention is probably a combination of 2021’s challenging weather(overly abundant spring/summer rains) & post COVID limited supplies?? Cover crops(CCs), in most states that watershed into the Mississippi River basin (states between the Rockies & Appalachians), are probably here to stay. It boils down to lots of changes which requires a new norm of thinking. For the CCs that don’t get frost-killed, an early season roll-down and/or herbicide burndown is required. My local coop informed me in March that their Liberty post herbicide supply was very limited, so we opted to used a more aggressive pre-plant.
FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2021 at 6:24pm
Thanks 7060, as of this evening, the plethora  of weeds weeds in this field are turning "brown" after I "assume" a healthy dose of herbicides that are "still" legal to be applied Embarrassed . This is NO "organic" operation Wink
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2021 at 6:59pm
Weed populations HERE, and IN MO. are the worst we as a group of neighbors have seen in a decade or more, not unheard of as noted due to perfect storm weather for them, and we have Foxtail by the Ton around here where the Spray Coupes have been more active that usual.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic