Unofficial Allis Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Chainsaw opinions

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2019 at 6:57am
Dang Buckskin, I got this jig i clamp on the blade and file the chain with.  Works for me.

But, I gotta admit that a brand spanking new chain is fun to break in.  Wink

Sponsored Links

BuckSkin View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuckSkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2019 at 2:25pm
Originally posted by Dave H Dave H wrote:

Dang Buckskin, I got this jig i clamp on the blade and file the chain with.  Works for me.

But, I gotta admit that a brand spanking new chain is fun to break in.  Wink

I have one of those as well, Oregon brand, that I bought when I bought my first ever owned-by-me saw many years ago.
I think maybe it is still around here somewhere; I never threw anything away in my life; I do have a useless excuse of a brother that causes things to disappear though.

As for sharpening, I have decided on the same theory with my band-mill blades as well.
New ones are around twenty bucks.
The sharpen shop guy was charging nine bucks to sharpen one.
Run a new blade until it begins to dull; take it to the sharpen guy; go back to the sharpen guy to pick it up; it cuts okay for a while; metal fatigue has already caused cracks to develop in the gullets; before it gets dull the second time, it breaks at speed, whipping out like a mile-long sling-blade and taking out an expensive belt in the process.
I decided there was no future in that; it makes about as much sense as rotating your tires.
Stan IL&TN View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stan IL&TN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2019 at 7:33pm
Well I can't add much here. Poulan used to make good saws as I had two of them....but not any more. Gave that last POS to my SIL and bought the Huskey Varnia saw. It's better but still not as good as the ms270 Stihl I have at the farm.
1957 WD45 dad's first AC

1968 one-seventy

1956 F40 Ferguson
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic