This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Cable Clamps and such

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nanuk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cable Clamps and such
    Posted: 03 Aug 2024 at 9:55am
As I have been having issues with my Range/Park cables, I finally was able to dig deep into them

I had previously remove the bolts holding down the bracket behind the hydraulic stack, lift up the whole area a bit, and tighten the allen head screws Dr. Allis tight

be danged if everying worked... until it didn't.

so I took a deeper dive into it.    What I found was the C-clamp (bit of mickey mouse POS) was broken at one of the screw holes.
So, now what.... I'm in Canada, the cost to buy/ship that little piece of metal would be silly... So, I thought, why didn't they use a solid rod C-Clamp/U-bolt like at the lever end of the cable.

So, I made one.  I went to a local hardware store, and although they didn't have any U-bolts in the size I needed, I DID find a wire cable clamp, where the U-bolt appeared to be nearly the right size.

So, I bought one, took it apart, and modified the size by forming it over an anvil of appropriate size.  I had to spread it out a bit, then insert the anvil into the C, and bring it back around so it was "JUST" slip over the groove.

This left the legs a bit wider, so I drilled out the holes (just drilled near/between the screw holes so they remain undamaged) just enough to get it to fit through.
a couple washers/lockwashers, and installed everything. (sure would be easier to have a kid there to move the lever when needed) 
I could access the nuts from inside the cab, through the floor.  
removing the bolt/bracket from on top the Range/Park shaft, and unbolting the ball/Socket cable end allowed enough movement to get at the nuts to tighten.
with the really snug fit on the cable groove, I didn't get too heavy handed on the nuts, only really snug with lock washers, so I wouldn't crush the cable.
I felt that the fit is better, SOLID, so there would be minimal issues with movement/slipping.

bolted down the rear bracket.

tried the lever and all felt well enough.  
Fired up and ran a test.

a bit stiff as before, I assume from lack of a functioning Transmission brake, and many years of lack of lube, but worked as before. 
the cable alignment is just a bit lower, which keeps the cable more straight on that the original.

IF I could have sourced an AC U-bolt that matched the front, I'd have gone that route, as I think the ends are identical, and it would have made life a LOT easier.

I'm just putting this out there, in case anyone else is having big issues with their Range/Park cable rear clamp.

I'll add, that after a few times digging into that area, the solid mechanical lever through the floor looks like a pretty easy modification.
I may look into that in the future, but for now, I have my extra 10 gears at hand.

AC7060Pd 1975
Sponsored Links

jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2024 at 10:00am
Well I'm impressed ! You bought ONE 'clamp' and made it work !!!!
I'm a 'Noah' kind of guy, tend to order things in 2s (or 3s or 4s...... )
Maybe look at what Princess Auto has,if there's one nearby. Heck latest flyer shows that now carry  front tires for D-14 ! ??

3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
nanuk View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nanuk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2024 at 11:14am
Hahahaaa

PA was where I got my cable clamp

But I noticed on the parts diagram the clamps are opposite of mine

I have the presses metal one on the back, and a C bolt on the front

AC7060Pd 1975
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2024 at 11:20am
well I'd be really,really impressed if you ONLY bought that one clamp from PA !!!
When I go there to pickup my order, I always have to walk the isles and 'somehow' decided I need this, that and oh yeah 3 of those......
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
BillinAlberta View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BillinAlberta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2024 at 1:19pm
Yeah Jay I have the same problem at Princess Auto in Saskatoon.
nanuk View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nanuk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2024 at 1:32pm
Oh, don't get me started on the bigger PA stores...   about double the selection of mine in P.A.

But we do what we can, Right?

I was ready to buy a long bolt, cut off the head, thread the shank, and bend it on an anvil.
if I had a few days, that would have been the better option, so it fit better.  But what I did worked OK, all I need to do is fabricate a heavier backing plate to replace the washers.  the heavy washers I had were too wide diameter, so had to use smaller/lighter ones, and my holes had to be enlarged to fit the angled legs.

AC7060Pd 1975
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic