This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Broken D 15 spring location

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACinSC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Broken D 15 spring location
    Posted: 16 Jan 2019 at 3:01pm
I'm back . Have the fuses/voltage regulator bracket mystery solved . Now I have a spring I'm wondering about . Think I found it laying behind the gauge cluster . It's about 5" long . Spring itself is 1/2" long and 1" in diameter . Anyone know where it goes and where I can get one ? Thanks again ok
Sponsored Links

jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2019 at 4:23pm
I'm guessing it's a #6 spring ?
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2019 at 4:25pm

trying again... #6, spring, for #4 control lever latch

Jay

Jim.ME View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim.ME Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2019 at 4:30pm
Does this look like it might be the spring? It would be behind the dash.

You can go to the AGCO parts books ( http://www.agcopartsbooks.com/partsbooksn/login.aspx?region=northamerica ) and sign in as a guest user and search for your parts. Enter D15 in the model box and then open the brands drop down and select AGCO Allis. Hit search and you will have the D15 parts catalog. This came from the fuel system section, second line down, page 88.   If you don't have the service and operator's manuals you can go to https://www.agcopubs.com/ and purchase them there (print, disc, or download).

Jim.ME View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim.ME Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2019 at 4:32pm
Well Jay, we each found a spring for him, at about the same time. I think those should be the only two unless he has a foot throttle. Sound right?
Jim
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2019 at 4:36pm
It'll be interesting to find out which spring it is....sure be funny if it was a 'found-in-field' spring, someone tossed behind dash to keep !

Jay

ACinSC View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACinSC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2019 at 4:52pm
I see springs on the levers . Don't see the #10 comp spring . Can't quite figure out where it goes . Throttle ? Thanks Jay and Jim . I'm looking at the diagram on my phone . I'm going to check it out on my computer in the house . Thanks again
ACinSC View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACinSC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2019 at 11:27am
That #10 compensating spring has to be ordered and cost about $45 . Still wondering what it does and where it goes ?
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2019 at 12:15pm
yesh 45 for a spring ? Man I GOTTA start a mail order biz... between that and snap rings !

OK, I'm thinking the spring connects to #10 and #6 to take up any 'slack' that wear between #7 and #6 over the years. This is all in the throttle linkage 'system'.
I can' say for sure and I'll have to veture out to see what my 3 D-14s have(probably not there...or 'reconfigured' )

Surely someone with a 'factory original' will soon reply !!
Jay

Ky.Allis View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ky.Allis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2019 at 12:45pm
Yep--compensating spring. Put one on my D17 couple of years ago. Mine was still there just had one hook broke off. I found a close match (not Agco) that was a little shorter and used a "s" hook from a tarp strap to obtain the needed length. Without the spring you could pull throttle down gradually with no response and all at once it surge to set RPM. The spring fixed it.
ACinSC View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACinSC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2019 at 12:59pm
Thanks for the input . Sarah at Sandy lake is trying to find a better picture . My throttle seems to work okay without the spring . Have noticed it won't hold wide open throttle .

Edited by ACinSC - 17 Jan 2019 at 4:05pm
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2019 at 3:19pm
If you look at Jim's picture, there's  a spring #4,washer #5 ,nut and bolt. Those apply some 'friction' to the moving part #6 to keep all the stuff  where you want it. I think the compensation spring gets rid of any 'slack' in the rods and connections.
It's similar to the long, narrow spring you see on gas engines between carb and guvnor 'arms'.

Jay

Jim.ME View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim.ME Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2019 at 5:12pm
Here are pdfs of pictures I found in the D14 Operators manual, didn't find any in the Service manual. In the Compensating spring 1 pdf, it looks to me like the long straight end of the spring hooks to the lower lever, the short end to the frame ahead and above it throttle linkage. If I had a one of my D14s without side panels, I'd take a photo for you (Of course I'm not sure they are there). Its single digits and dropping here right now so I'm not going out to take any panels off to look, sorry.

linkage_1.pdf

Compensating_spring_1.pdf

Compensating_spring_2.pdf
ACinSC View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACinSC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2019 at 5:46pm
Thanks Jim . I appreciate it very much . Stay warm .
Reindeer View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reindeer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2019 at 6:09pm
My #10 spring was hooked to pull the throttle rod forward rather than backwards.  Throttle would not respond much until it tried to run away.   There is a little arm right under the fuel tank and inside the tank support on the right (when in seat).   I hooked one end on that, and the other end to the junction of the throttle rod, and the rod that runs up the side of the motor, so it pulls backwards on the throttle rod.

Solved the throttle response problem for me.  
67 D15 S2
83 5015
Several Kubotas'                     
ACinSC View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACinSC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2019 at 6:36pm
Thanks Reindeer . More good info .
Dave H View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2019 at 7:54am
Reindeer may have something.  I always wondered what that thingey/hook/bracket under the tank was for.  Confused
ACinSC View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACinSC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2019 at 9:54am
Reindeer I see that bracket that you're talking about . I also see the slotted hole that a spring could hook on . Thought the other end of the spring might hook to the hole at the friction pad , but I don't see how that would work . Thanks
Reindeer View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reindeer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2019 at 10:03am
I hooked one end of the spring to the arm under the tank, which you found, and the other to the end of rod #8 (in the diagram above) where it connects to the rod running up the side of the block to the governor.  I don't have a pic, but I found I could get the spring hooked on at that rod connector where rod #8 does the 90 degree bend, and it applies some pull on throttle rod to eliminate any slop in the linkage. 
The spring is trying to pull back on the rod, towards the operator, not towards the block.  I hope this explains it.

Edited by Reindeer - 18 Jan 2019 at 10:04am
67 D15 S2
83 5015
Several Kubotas'                     
ACinSC View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACinSC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2019 at 10:36am
I've been checking out all the pictures again and the spring does hook to the hole at the friction pad . I just don't understand how that works . Seems like it would be rubbing on the throttle shaft . Wish it wasn't $45 . Thanks again
Jim.ME View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim.ME Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2019 at 10:52am
Here are actual photos of a compensating spring, in place on a D14.

ACinSC View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACinSC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2019 at 12:10pm
That's exactly what I needed . Thanks Jim !!!
ACinSC View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACinSC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2019 at 12:28pm
Just ordered this spring . I'll try to remember to post if it changes anything . Thanks again for the help
ACinSC View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACinSC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2019 at 5:24pm
Received my spring today and have it installed . I'll fire this old D 15 up tomorrow and let y'all know if it actually does anything . It's agco #70227736 . Thanks again
ACinSC View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACinSC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2019 at 2:39pm
Sunny and 77 degrees here . Old tractor runs about the same . Throttle seems to be a little smoother . Guess that's one less broken thing to fix .
ACinSC View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACinSC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2019 at 11:02am
I'm back from a hot lap around the block on the old D 15 . I'm the neighborhood character . Throttle does work smoother so I'm calling that a win . Sunny and 76 today . Thanks
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic