This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

brake rod...any tricks out there?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eldon (WA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: brake rod...any tricks out there?
    Posted: 27 Mar 2011 at 11:35pm
The 175 I just bought has no brake rod on the LH side...I'm afraid someone twisted it off trying to adjust it.  Anyone have a bright idea how to fix without pulling off the final drive....it has a loader on it too, making it more work. Now I know why the brakes were locked together.....
ALLIS EXPRESS!
This year:
Sponsored Links

DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2011 at 4:03am
Hi Eldon, no, no real good way to get in there but pulling the tube.  I had the same issue on the 180 two years ago and glad the tube came off as the brake disc was shot and the seal was out, went ahead and did both sides.
BobHnwO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobHnwO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2011 at 4:25am
Twisted mine off my D17,gotta pull the final,loaded tire,had to use my TLB to lift it,pain in the BUTT!!
Why do today what you can put off til tomorrow.
skipwelte View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skipwelte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2011 at 11:59am
If there is a little left you can heat it up and let it cool, then try a vice grip and see if it will move.  the only other resort is to pull the final drive, if its the left side, its a peice of cake, the right side is a pain in the behind as the hyd lever mounting bracket bolts to the final drive housing.  Good luck
Chris/CT View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris/CT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2011 at 12:46pm
Sounds like a brake job is in order.
jiminnd View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jiminnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2011 at 9:37pm
185 broke but left about 3/4 inch stub sticking out, got a coupler screwed on and added more thread to rod, temperary fix but does work for now,
Eldon (WA) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eldon (WA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2011 at 9:53pm
AHA!  I like that....now I just have to find a way to look in there to see what's left of the rod. If it is as I think it is, I should be able to rotate the pivot pin (one side should have some threaded rod sticking out) and screw on one of those long nuts...and fab a connecting rod.  Thanks!
ALLIS EXPRESS!
This year:
Skyhighballoon(MO) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skyhighballoon(MO) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2011 at 7:55am
Eldon - I had one shear off flush with the pivot block (that was frozen) inside the housing.  I actually managed to drill the bolt out thru the pivot block one size smaller....that was quite a job.   Then I welded a smaller diameter grade 8 bolt that would fit thru the hole onto the brake rode, stuck it thru and put a nut on the back side to hold it.  My patch job has held up for about 2 or 3 years now I think.  Mike
1981 Gleaner F2 Corn Plus w 13' flex
1968 Gleaner EIII w 10' & 330
1969 180 gas
1965 D17 S-IV gas
1963 D17 S-III gas
1956 WD45 gas NF PS
1956 All-Crop 66 Big Bin
303 wire baler, 716H, 712H mowers
Eldon (WA) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eldon (WA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2011 at 9:19pm
Well I tried my idea, but I couldn't get the pivot pin to rotate.  Plenty of thread on the other end, but that rod musta been broken off a long time ago and is frozen solid to the levers.  I was able to make a heavy hook and fabbed a linkage to try the brake out anyway....no brakes.  So I guess it will be a job for next winter.  I have 2 others that need the brakes done soon anyway, maybe I can get good at it if I do them all at once.
ALLIS EXPRESS!
This year:
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic