This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

B restoration (24 January 16) Purists Beware!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
wfmurray View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wfmurray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2015 at 5:55pm
Might be a little late but I learned that you need to load the front bearing on the trans so driveshaft will stop turning quicker when clutch is deprested and you don't grind gears as bad .Learned this after I redid my 49 B. Yours is looking good.
Sponsored Links

Hubnut View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hubnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2015 at 6:13pm
Originally posted by Ken in Texas Ken in Texas wrote:

Clutch part is on the way. PM being sent with tracking number.

Thanks Kenny.  Once I get that part I can get the tractor back on all 4s.  As usual, I am grateful for your help and quality parts. 
Steve
Hubnut View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hubnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2015 at 6:15pm
Originally posted by wfmurray wfmurray wrote:

Might be a little late but I learned that you need to load the front bearing on the trans so driveshaft will stop turning quicker when clutch is deprested and you don't grind gears as bad .Learned this after I redid my 49 B. Yours is looking good.

That makes sense.  I did have to address that bearing in this tractor.  It was a good bearing, but had slipped away from the race. 
Sugarmaker View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2015 at 8:32am
Steve,
 Great pictures of your progress. I have really enjoyed watching your work. You do a great job presenting the information to us! The distributor and housing look very good.

That picture of the PTO with the little lever that you hook your finger in made me snap back to a memory from when I was about 6 years old. My uncle Clair had a B or C and I was setting on it with it running. I think I had seen him pull that lever up before. He did not have the clutch in and for some reason I decide it was time to engage the PTO! I shouted to him "I'm throwing her in gear" and jerked up on that lever! Much to my surprise as the gears ground and who knows what happened!:) I don't remember him having that tractor too long after that! Darn kids!

Merry Christmas to you and all the Allis folks on here!
By the way Steve its 29 degrees here and about 8-9 inches of fresh powder last light.
Regards,
 Chris
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
Hubnut View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hubnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2015 at 12:51pm
Thanks Chris.  Nice story.  Sounds like you grew up with tractors.  I'm a city boy for sure.  It's in the upper 60s here today.  I'm still in shorts though!  Sorry, had to rub it in a bit.

I made a little progress.  I got the spindle bushings installed.  Fairly easy job.  The old ones were VERY worn.  I also got the fenders and front end painted.  I'm almost completed with the dirty work.  Assembly is the fun part.  I am waiting on a throwout bearing carrier from Kenny.  Mine had an ear broken off. 

Merry Christmas to you too and all the AC folks.
Steve

1940 B "Lucy"
1941 B w/ Woods L59 "Flavia"
1942 B w/ finish mower "Dick"
1941 C w/ 3-point "Maggie"
1947 C SFW w/ L306 "Trixie"
1972 314H
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2015 at 8:11pm
Steve,
 Shorts and painting outside! Now that just is not fair! We ended the day with about a foot of snow. I started the Ford Jubilee, hooked on to the back blade and had my way with the plowing the drive!
Hey those fenders look real good. You did a good job getting those adjustable front end parts cleaned up.
Regards,
 Chris
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
Hubnut View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hubnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2016 at 5:28pm
Been under the weather, so the project slowed.  I got the engine and front end on.  Happy New Year!

1940 B "Lucy"
1972 314H
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2016 at 6:03pm
Steve,
Looking real good up on four wheels again! Happy New Year. You in shorts again?
We have several inches of new powder.
Regards,
 Chris
SHAMELESS View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SHAMELESS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2016 at 8:01pm
all i see is wood working tools in that shop, and no beer fridge! PffffT! but nice job so far on the tractor!
CrestonM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrestonM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2016 at 11:34pm

Mine needs that. I have to wait about 5 seconds before I can shift without grinding. 
Hubnut View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hubnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2016 at 5:33pm
Purists beware.  I still have a good bit of things to add to get it finished, but thought I'd throw the tin on to see if I like the black.  I do.  I know the purists won't--sorry about that.  I should be able to get her running again next weekend.  The mower deck is ready to go on too.  I will get her running and then install the deck.

1940 B "Lucy"
1972 314H
Dan73 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2016 at 5:43pm
I kinda like the black but it needs some pin stripes or something on the front just too much black on that grill looks weird coming at you. Or too plain maybe I don't know how to put the front view into words but some pinstripes or something to just make the front pop a little and it is a keeper.
sandman2234 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sandman2234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2016 at 8:12pm
 Happy New Year to you too Steve!
Might want to narrow up the width of the tractor a little also, as it makes it nice to have the mower extending out past the wheels so that the overhang catches the edge of a ditch without having the wheels right up against it.
  Tractor looks good, but black is going to be awfully hot in the summer months... just leaning on it will burn you!
   David from jax
A proud member of the Allis Express movement!
               Northeast Florida
mintenfarmer View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mintenfarmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2016 at 8:16pm
Cream on the grill mesh and then let us see it

Edited by mintenfarmer - 03 Jan 2016 at 8:17pm
TractorTechLuke View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TractorTechLuke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2016 at 8:17pm
Very good looking tractor and a very detailed restoration! I noticed you said you were using rattle cans and I was wondering what kind and where you got them from. I really like the looks of the paint! Keep up the good work!
-Luke
David Gantt N.C. View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David Gantt N.C. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2016 at 8:36pm
looks good and looks like ya got good rubber on her, thanks for sharing the pictures and keep posting them .
SHAMELESS View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SHAMELESS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2016 at 10:29pm
that looks really nice! paint the step black too! you've made "your own"! good job!
Hubnut View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hubnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2016 at 6:10am
David, thanks for the tip.  I'll move it in a notch. 

Luke, the rattle can orange is AC orange from Tractor Supply.  The black is powder coated.

Chris, no longer in shorts.  It got down to the upper 40s last night (brrrrrr). 

Thanks for the kind words all. 
Steve
1940 B "Lucy"
1972 314H
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2016 at 6:46am

Might be a little late but I learned that you need to load the front bearing on the trans so driveshaft will stop turning quicker when clutch is depressed 
What do you mean by this?  How do you do it?

Steve, LOOKS GREAT!!  I was thinking on teh grill, how about the A-C Logo in orange?  I have seen that on one other tractor.

Also, I keep forgetting to ask...... what does AO mean?
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2016 at 9:47am

Hey Steve,,,that's a great lookin project,,,I really like your color combination,,, Is that Hot Rod Black on the powdercoat. Looks NICE,,,can't wait to see the finished project,,,!!! This one will draw the folks from a long way off,,,,!!!!
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2016 at 12:17pm
Steve,
 I was going to say something really important. but cant think of what it was!:) He!! to get old!
The black hood, tank, and grill look good. Its going to be in your face, type tractor look. You will get a lot of folks comment about it. Did you do the lettering?
 Nice work on the tractor!
Regards,
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 04 Jan 2016 at 12:23pm
allishawk View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allishawk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2016 at 12:49pm
I can't decide which I like the most. The C you did with cream or this one. Both look wonderful. Great work!
CrestonM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrestonM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2016 at 1:05pm
Think that black gas tank will be "safe" in the summer?? I'd hate to have it blow up.
R.W View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote R.W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2016 at 3:34pm
I like when I see people customize their tractors. The only issue I have found (and I speak from experience) is that if you are going to sell the item you may end up taking a hit price wise. Nice "B"!
CrestonM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrestonM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2016 at 3:38pm
I've seen tractors that are more different... I saw where a guy painted 2 Ford 9N's. 1 was "Captain America" themed and the other was painted with the OKC Thunder basketball team colors and decals. 
Hubnut View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hubnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2016 at 6:19pm
Originally posted by Ted J Ted J wrote:

Might be a little late but I learned that you need to load the front bearing on the trans so driveshaft will stop turning quicker when clutch is depressed 
What do you mean by this?  How do you do it?

Steve, LOOKS GREAT!!  I was thinking on teh grill, how about the A-C Logo in orange?  I have seen that on one other tractor.

Also, I keep forgetting to ask...... what does AO mean?

TedJ,
The main transmission shaft front bearing is preloaded to provide drag.  Without that drag, it will take a long time for the tranny to stop spinning when you put the clutch in.  This, in turn, makes it difficult to get into gear (without grinding the gears that is).

1940 B "Lucy"
1972 314H
Hubnut View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hubnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2016 at 6:20pm
Originally posted by desertjoe desertjoe wrote:

Hey Steve,,,that's a great lookin project,,,I really like your color combination,,, Is that Hot Rod Black on the powdercoat. Looks NICE,,,can't wait to see the finished project,,,!!! This one will draw the folks from a long way off,,,,!!!!

Thanks DesertJoe.  It is satin black the powdercoater offered.  I don't the know the exact color code.
1940 B "Lucy"
1972 314H
Hubnut View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hubnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2016 at 6:22pm
Originally posted by Sugarmaker Sugarmaker wrote:

Steve,
 I was going to say something really important. but cant think of what it was!:) He!! to get old!
The black hood, tank, and grill look good. Its going to be in your face, type tractor look. You will get a lot of folks comment about it. Did you do the lettering?
 Nice work on the tractor!
Regards,
 Chris

Chris,
Thanks.  I hope you remember what you were going to write.  The decals were made by a local shop.  Very reasonable. 
Steve
1940 B "Lucy"
1972 314H
Hubnut View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hubnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2016 at 6:22pm
Originally posted by allishawk allishawk wrote:

I can't decide which I like the most. The C you did with cream or this one. Both look wonderful. Great work!

Thank you much!
1940 B "Lucy"
1972 314H
Hubnut View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hubnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2016 at 6:23pm
Originally posted by CrestonM CrestonM wrote:

Think that black gas tank will be "safe" in the summer?? I'd hate to have it blow up.

Good point.  I know that black cars are hotter.  I will look into it.
1940 B "Lucy"
1972 314H
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
  Share Topic