This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

B restoration (24 January 16) Purists Beware!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2015 at 9:12pm

Hey Hubnut,,,keep the pics comin,Guy,,,how else all us others gonna learn bouts these AC's,,,???
Your project is lookin great and will look better than new for sure, when you're done,,,
Hey Skeeter,,,you gotta start postin pics of your project,,,I love to see these projects comin together,,,, The beauty of everybody postin their projects is not all of us think and do things exactly the same,,,and that's what I like to see is the individualism of all the other ideas,,,,, Let's DO IT,,,!!!!
Sponsored Links

Sugarmaker View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2015 at 8:23am
Steve,
 Looking real good on the tranny for the B!
Your making good progress. That was a lot of steps to get to this point.
Great pictures.
Regards,
 Chris
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
sandman2234 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sandman2234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2015 at 2:19pm
Steve just left here with a couple of parts for the project and some thoughts to ponder for his next.
   I have threatened to post pictures of "Maggie" as she was when Dave Kamp pulled her into the driveway here, after picking her up for me west of Atlanta. Definitely not the same looking tractor! Your paint scheme isn't a purist dream, but it wasn't when she got here either, which is why Dave and I called her "White Wheels". Looks a lot better now in cream!
  Always enjoy looking at your posts Steve, keep up the good work and come back when you can!
   David from jax
A proud member of the Allis Express movement!
               Northeast Florida
Hubnut View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hubnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2015 at 4:42pm
David,
As usual a pleasure to deal with such a gentleman.  The weights will complete my B project--almost.  I sure like walking around your collection of AC.  I always get some good pointers and learn about these fine tractors.  Oh, I need to ask Kenny about the engine weights.  Best to you and your family.
Steve
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sandman2234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2015 at 10:27am
http://www.allischalmers.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=99467&KW=Weights&PID=786921&title=ac-b-c-engine-side-weights#786921

This should be the post explaining the B weights and the differences
David from jax
               Northeast Florida
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sandman2234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2015 at 10:29am
               Northeast Florida
structures View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote structures Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2015 at 8:59am
sweet another hubnut build!
Hubnut View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hubnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2015 at 6:01pm
Thanks David for the link.  Thanks to everyone for the comments.  I've got an unusual paint scheme planned for this little B, that I've named, "Haney." 
V2Inc View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote V2Inc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2015 at 6:08pm
I really enjoy seeing things taken down to the core then put back together again.  Truly enjoying what your doing there.
Allis Chalmers 616 w/60" Blade, 48" Rotary Tiller & Plow - Cool Man Stuff
Ken in Texas View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken in Texas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2015 at 8:40am
Steve.
   I do have a extra set of the correct beveled engine sideweights with bushings for your B.   $225 the pair.     Kenny
   We need to get Allis Express involved in getting them to you. Henderson TX to Gainsville FL

Hubnut View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hubnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2015 at 4:24pm
Made a little progress today.  I got right side final drive disassembled, cleaned and painted.  I damaged the outer hub bearing getting it off on the press and have to get a new one.  Darn!  I didn't have the inner side of the bearing supported well enough.  Slow, but sure. 

Edited by Hubnut - 08 Nov 2015 at 4:24pm
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken in Texas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2015 at 4:56pm
Hubnut
Is that a Harbor Freight Press? I need to invest in one like that. Kenny
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2015 at 5:02pm
Steve,
Your making good progress on Haney!
 I couldn't figure out how you got Bart up and going at the same time?:) Looking forward to that custom paint scheme too!
Regards,
 Chris
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
Hubnut View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hubnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2015 at 5:11pm
Kenny, Sadly it is a Harbor Freight press.  However, it has served me well.  I welded more supports on it to sure it up.

Chris, I've "finished" Bart.  It's going to my niece and her new little farm.  It's a nice little tractor.  It needs a 3-point conversion.
Hubnut View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hubnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2015 at 5:26pm
Got home a little early and assembled one final drive and mated it to the tranny.  A chain fall sure makes things easier.  I found the hub bearing locally.  For those interested, it is a National 368 and cost me $28.  I can't believe how easily all this went tonight.  Even the seal went in on the first try. 

Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2015 at 8:05am
Steve,
Well that looks real nice! Love it when things work and go together with out much fuss.
Regards,
 Chris
Hubnut View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hubnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2015 at 2:30pm
Another update.  Seems to be going back together slowly.  One of the driver's final drives had a badly pitted bearing, which had to be replaced.  I also replaced the axle seals.  I have new tires (11.2 x 24).  These guys are huge!  I plan to put the wheel in with the dish out to gain enough room for the fenders.

Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2015 at 8:54pm
Steve,
 Your making great progress. All that good work takes time! Thanks for posting the pictures of the fresh orange!
Regards,
 Chris
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken in Texas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2015 at 9:03am
Steve
   You shouldn't have tire fender clearance issues with 11-2 tires and wheels set dish side in. Mount the tires on the rims with the rim bumps to the inside. Mount rims with the locks on the outside of the wheels.
Steve in NJ View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve in NJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2015 at 4:47pm
Stevo!  Its lookin' great man!  Keep them pics comin'!!
Steve@B&B
39'RC, 43'WC, 48'B, 49'G, 50'WF, 65 Big 10, 67'B-110, 75'716H, 2-620's, & a Motorhead wife
Hubnut View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hubnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2015 at 7:52pm
Chris, Steve, Kenny,
Thanks for the encouraging words.  Thanks to Kenny I decided to mount the wheels dish side in.  I was able to mount the wheels to the rims and then put them on the tractor (well, the back half anyway).  It's coming along.  I bought BKT tires this time instead of Firestone.  It saved me a little bit of money.  DO ya'll think the wheels look okay as mounted to the tractor? 
Steve

steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2015 at 8:34pm
how WIDE do you want to back end to be when complete ? look at the position of the hub inside the rim compared to your photo on page 1.
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
Acmichael View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Acmichael Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2015 at 9:43pm
Another nice original build. Going to look. Are you going to go oversize on the front tires as well? Keep the pics coming
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken in Texas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2015 at 10:00pm
Steve
   Swap the rims and tires side to side keeping the tire rotation the same. I think your concerns about tire fender clearance was more imagined than real. Put the locking clamps where you feel comfortable.
Like Illinois Steve, Now that I see them, I'm not too crazy about seeing the wheels set that deep in the rims. Without widening the front tread to match the rear this B would look very strange indeed.
The difference in width of a 9.5 and a 11.2 tire is maybe a inch or less on each side. I don't foresee a tire too fender clearance problem coming swapping tires and rims side to side

Edited by Ken in Texas - 30 Nov 2015 at 10:13pm
skeeters65 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skeeters65 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2015 at 6:35pm
Are you spraying this with a rattle can?
Hubnut View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hubnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2015 at 7:54pm
Originally posted by skeeters65 skeeters65 wrote:

Are you spraying this with a rattle can?

Yes, I am.  My last build I had powdercoated.  A bit pricey indeed.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2015 at 7:46pm
Big tires, Big wide stance! Should make a statement:) I would leave it till you get the rest together. Then see if you like them set out wider. I set my WD wheels out farther just because I could, and I like the look.

Regards,
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 02 Dec 2015 at 7:46pm
Hubnut View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hubnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2015 at 8:16pm
Chris.  Very nice.  I will not change the rims until I see the entire tractor together.  I like the wide stance.  The B is an adjustable front, so I can make the front end match.  Thanks for the photos.  Man, you really do nice work!
Steve
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2015 at 8:27am
You guys do EXCELLENT work!!  Wish I had that much knowledge and tools....
I don't have a B, but do have a C that is a work horse.  Has my mower on it.  I need to get into the steering problem I have with it....
Meep up the GOOD work and keep em coming!
GREAT JOB!!
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
Hubnut View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hubnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2015 at 6:37pm
Got the torque tube cleaned, painted and tapped all the bolt holes.  There were 6 bolts broken off in the TT!!  I was able to weld a nut on two and back them out.  Two were drilled and tapped, and two (the ones for the tool box) would NOT come out and I could NOT drill into them.  I ruined 6 bits trying to drill into these things.  No go.  I don't know what kind of kooky bolts those are, but my drill bits wouldn't cut them.  Notice the really DEEP rust pitting on the TT near the battery box.  Wow! 

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
  Share Topic