This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Axle press ideas

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bobkyllo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Axle press ideas
    Posted: 05 Sep 2020 at 1:01pm
The other day I had a mid 2000s jeep come in for a front pressed in wheel bearing. No problem done this many times.

Got it all torn down. Removed the axle nut, hit it with a hammer no wiggle... Hmmm problem? Well I go get my big 3 jaw puller to press that axle shaft through and loosen it up.

I tried all I could with a wrench on the pullers forcing screw. I couldn't get it to budge. I even wacked away on the screw to shock the axle. No go..

I then kept the tension on the puller and added a bit of heat to center of the hub where the axle comes through. Now mind you I was a bit timid with the heat because I didn't want to hurt the abs sensor or something else.

What do you guys suggest. Get a bit more aggressive with the heat? Possibly ruining the sensor. Perhaps getting a big pipe wrench and really lay on that forcing screw? Perhaps you guys have a tool that you've found to work well in this case.

I've had this problem in the past but never to this point. I've always been pretty successful with a tight puller and a couple sharp blows on the screw and presto.

Otherwise my last thought is to remove that whole knuckle / axle shaft assembly and get it in the press some how. That will most likely ruin the shaft.
Sponsored Links

Michael V (NM) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Michael V (NM) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2020 at 2:39pm
Did ya try an impact on the puller screw? Sometimes the hammering from the impact wrench will shake things loose
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2020 at 3:17pm
Last JEEP I had was a '75 CJ-5, so things have changed a bit I suppose.....
 Since the bearing is 'toast' can you just use and angle grinder and a real thin cutoff wheel to cut a 'segment' of the outer race/case and then the inner race ?
I've done this on 'regular' bearings on axles where the inner piece is 'rustwelded' onto the axle. If you've got steady hands and patience you CAN remove the bearing pieces and NOT score the axle. You need to take at least 1/3 of the circle, then th erest will 'pop' off...
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
john(MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2020 at 3:29pm
What Jay said.  Get after it with the Metabo!
D14, D17, 5020, 612H, CASE 446
bobkyllo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bobkyllo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2020 at 8:03pm
You can not get to the being at all. It's encased in the knuckle. In order to do a pressed in bearing you need to remove the hub, then a snap ring, then press the double row ball bearing out.

But in order to do all this I need to get the axle out of the hub. It's splined into the hub so it's got some fantastic surface area for the rust to get a hold of.
fixer1958 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fixer1958 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2020 at 7:58am
Keep the tension on it and spray the crap out it with penetrant. Smack it with a sledge ever so often and torque it down some more and repeat. It should eventually give it up but what you have afterwards may be questionable.
Ray54 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2020 at 5:06pm
Originally posted by fixer1958 fixer1958 wrote:

Keep the tension on it and spray the crap out it with penetrant. Smack it with a sledge ever so often and torque it down some more and repeat. It should eventually give it up but what you have afterwards may be questionable.

Can I take this to mean similar to my old friends line.Wink "Jack up the radiator cap and roll new parts under,and you got everything fixed at once."LOL 
PaulB View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2020 at 6:13pm
At first your were talking about a FORD productLOLJEEP was once know for high quality run, forever engineering, although now everything regardless of brand, is maybe just barely good enough to last longer than the warrantyThumbs Down An many parts are not really designed to be servicedUnhappy Car manufactures are really more interested in selling you and new one that repair parts.
If it was fun to pull in LOW gear, I could have a John Deere.
If you can't make it GO... make it SHINY
bobkyllo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bobkyllo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2020 at 3:28am
I know what you guys mean. A lot of stuff we use now days is designed to be thrown away.

I've never had one this stuck before. I've had it where I put the puller on, tighten it up, and hit the screw with a Sledge. Repeat this maybe 6 or 8 times and there you have it.

Well not this case. I'm really stumped as what to do. I'm really starting to think that I'll have to remove the knuckle and axle shaft. Then put the whole thing in a press to separate things.
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2020 at 8:39pm
Well, you've got a plan.  Go ahead, you can't hurt anything.  That's what dear ole Dad taught me many years ago.  It's already broke, you can't hurt it any more.
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2020 at 9:42pm
HEAT and BEAT is about the only option.... If you pull the axle and take to the press, it MAY get better with a bigger PUSH... or may still have to BEAT it apart.
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
Dnoym N. S. Can. View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dnoym N. S. Can. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2020 at 10:48pm
Axle Puller

this is what i use    put a wrench on the nut and used an impact on the puller                   B:=)           Dnoym
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2020 at 5:40am
I remember doing the front axle shaft Ujoints of my 85 F150. 6 ker-pows got 1 and 1/2 bearing cups off, then ker-BAM. BROKE the 10 ton hydraulic jack in the press !! Borrowed neighbours 20 ton jack to get the other 2 off...
still have the jack, sniff,sniff, F150 long gone....

we all need to hear you 'finally got the stubborn (*^&*(**( off' !!!
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic