This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Anyone Round Bale Hemp?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote calico190xt68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Anyone Round Bale Hemp?
    Posted: 18 Nov 2019 at 10:02am
I have gotten involved in a situation where a research hemp plot has to have the crop removed for testing. A friend involved in planting it has asked me to round bale it. The crop ran into some trouble due to 30 days of no rain and some kind of tainted seed situation, and so they couldn't do a traditional cutting while it was green. Since it is listed as a research plot, it has to be taken in one way or another.

This industrial hemp is really tough stuff. I tried using my disc mower on it and after one round on a 5 acre field, my turtles had completely seized up. The fibers were wrapped around them tightly. He is going to try to sickle bar mow today. Assuming he is successful, we will round bale. I think if it was green, it would be much easier. In it's dried state, it feels like bamboo.

I am nervous about those fibers getting caught up in my baler and causing damage after seeing my disc mower. I will be running an AC 7010 and a JD 467 baler.

Anyone have any experience round baling dried hemp stems? They are about 5 feet tall.
80 7010 w/Cab, 67 190XTD Series I w/500 Loader, AC 2000 Plow, AC 4 row Planter, AC 77G Rake, Member Indiana A-C Partners, Member TAC
Sponsored Links

Gary Burnett View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary Burnett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2019 at 10:39am
Get a New Holland chain baler they will bale anything.
cabinhollow View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cabinhollow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2019 at 11:30am
If your baler will not work in corn stakes, do not even pull it in the field.
Here some farmer are having to take weedeaters, with saw blades to cut it.
Then haul it to the edge of the field and hand feed it into silage choppers.
exSW View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote exSW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2019 at 11:38am
Originally posted by Gary Burnett Gary Burnett wrote:

Get a New Holland chain baler they will bale anything.
What he said
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cabinhollow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2019 at 11:47am
Here something else you can try.
Get a bush hog and cut 1/3 of the side shield off. Some were made so that it would unbolt.
It will cut and put the hemp in a windrow. I have cut hay with one.
The hemp should be chopped up somewhat and then it will feed into a round baler.
calico190xt68 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote calico190xt68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2019 at 11:48am
It will do corn stalks but this stuff acts much tougher. 

Funny you should say that about cutting it with a metal head weed eater.  We were joking that cutting it by hand might be the only solution yesterday.  I see you are from Kentucky and know there are many trying out hemp, so I imagine you are dead right.   I have heard that some are handling it like tobacco which is very manual.

The real problem is that due to the crop failure, but extreme regulation, they have to ship it for inspection as I understand it.  Silage chopper sounds like a good idea.  I thought about a wood chipper too. :-)

This year was supposed to be the trial year here in Indiana.  So, next year can be more outdoor growing and higher volume.  I guess there is a possibility that this field has a higher THC content than is allowable due to the seed mixup, hence ship it for testing.  It has turned into a nightmare to say the least.

I have to make up my mind by tomorrow on whether I want to try and bale it.  Appreciate your insight.

I don't have time to get a New Holland chain baler but maybe next year that might be a good idea. 
80 7010 w/Cab, 67 190XTD Series I w/500 Loader, AC 2000 Plow, AC 4 row Planter, AC 77G Rake, Member Indiana A-C Partners, Member TAC
bradley6874 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bradley6874 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2019 at 11:49am
Around here the cut it with weed eaters then store it to dry in a greenhouse once dry they use tree cipppers and blow it back in the green house to finish drying tree chipper was grunting to get it done
You can wash the dirt off the body but you can’t wash the farmer out of the heart and soul
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote calico190xt68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2019 at 12:01pm
I do like the bush hog idea of taking off the side shield and making the wind row.  The bush hog I have does not come off.  Is that something that you have done or seen done by someone else?  What bush hog model would work best.

I worry that this stuff will get wrapped around the bush hog blade too.

Thanks.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote calico190xt68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2019 at 12:03pm
This stuff is already dried, just in the field.  So I imagine it is just like when it sit in the barn and then dried.  Tree chipper sounds extreme but maybe the best idea.  Once they chipped it, did they bale it?  How did they transport it?
PaulB View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2019 at 2:05pm
Sounds to me like it should be someone else's problem, unless it's on your land. 
If it was fun to pull in LOW gear, I could have a John Deere.
If you can't make it GO... make it SHINY
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cabinhollow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2019 at 2:20pm
I help a farmer 35+ years ago that had a bush hog type mower that one side of the shield un-bolted. It would put the hay off to that side, not behind the mower.
That is the only one that I have seen.
Here they are chopping it into dump trucks and then hauling it to the processor.
On the tree chipper, one company is taking them and adding support equipment to them to make a processor for hemp. $35,000.  
Here is a hemp stripper that I built.

Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote calico190xt68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2019 at 2:56pm
PaulB,  You are right it isn't my problem other than I agreed to help my buddy out and the land owner allows me to bale a bunch of hay.  So, I am probably going to walk away this year.  However, I am thinking about applying for a permit and jumping into this hemp business.  Learning from the mistakes of others and getting a game plan is what's on my mind now.  Corn and soybeans have been worthless for me these past two years. 

It appears we have a problem here in central Indiana in that we have no processing plants very close to us.  Hence, we have to bale it.  Apparently, my buddy got involved with Sunstrand out of Louisville, KY on this contract but they want their contracts within 100 mile radius.  We are just outside of that.  If we get a processing plant, then the dump trucks would be a good idea.

That machine looks really nice that you built.  I need to find out more about that if I jump into the hemp business.  I assume this separates the seeds?  Did you build this for yourself to use?
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cabinhollow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2019 at 4:44pm
The stripper takes the leaf/bud off the stalk.
I built two for a local hemp farmer.
They are put the stripped hemp is the large seed totes, but only get 400 lbs or so in one.
You can see a video of it working on Cabin Hollow Metal Art FB page.
In 2014, they planted 35 ac here (KY), this year over 40,000 ac were planted.
From what I have seen/heard, you want to go big 50 - 100+ ac and chop it or under 5 ac and grow for the top market. Cut the buds off while it in the field, then cut the rest of the plant and hang it like tobacco. The stripping takes a large amount of labor. Maybe 3-4 times what it takes for tobacco.
These are the prices I seen at the end of Oct. I do not know what they are now.
The very high CBD buds is selling for $100 - $250+ per lbs.
The stripped leaf/bud mix is selling for $20 per lbs.
And this is with a yield of 1200 -1500 lbs per ac.
I have not seen a price for the chopped whole plant.
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2019 at 5:57pm
If you can find a drum mower, try that, I ain't seen anything it won't cut...  Since the drums are bigger than turtles, don't wrap like turtles.  Also a hesston 530, or its IH clones bale anything, too...Wink
Source: Babylon Bee. Sponsored by BRAWNDO, its got what you need!
TimNearFortWorth View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TimNearFortWorth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2019 at 7:21pm
When I get into tough nasty thick stuff, 185 with a 6' Bush Hog brand cutter with the large gear box cutting high makes her grunt but she chops it up, just watch the drive line level on the pto cutting 2' high.
Second pass is in 1st low on the PD with cutter down for 6" cut and she will bark grinding everything up.
Does the hemp have to be chopped up and left on the ground, or crop removed from field?

Maybe call some hippie co-ops, see if they'll smoke it, er, take it.
m16ty View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m16ty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2019 at 11:38pm
I'd say the best bet is a silage chopper with a row-less head. You could just use a regular bushhog and rake and bale, but you'll leave quite a bit on the ground.

Everybody has went big with hemp around here this year, looks like most may wind up loosing big. Lots of people had contracts and the contracts fell though, and are having trouble finding somebody to buy it. This spring, all the talk was $40K per acre, now most people are hoping they can at least break even. My personal thought is it's a fad and the supply is more than the demand. Everybody thought they would get rich raising it, but lets face it, they will pay the farmer just enough to keep him raising it, no more. That's the way it's always been, you ain't going to get rich farming.
allisrutledge View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allisrutledge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2019 at 6:29am
The folks here that are growing here must have not had a market or dropped contract. Acres still in the field ,black from freeze and snow. Is it still marketable in that condition? I never went to any of the local meetings but seems like the market was too far away. Is $40,000.00 supposed to come to the farmer or is that the total of finished product sales/ value? Back to the original post , if the leaves have any value I'd say harvesting by hand is the only choice but if the value is in the stems for fiber I'd be looking for a new idea "cutdishner" heavy flail mower. Good luck and if the locals start baling theirs I'll let you know what they are trying.
Allis Chalmers still exist in my mind and barns
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cabinhollow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2019 at 6:50am
The 100 mile limit is due to when harvest green chopped/bale you have 5 hours before it heats up.
On KET (PBS) last night 11-18, they had a live round table on hemp.
On place is paying $35/lbs for leaf/flower mix. ( They call the bud "flower")
In TN, you can sell direct to smokers and the top grade flower is bring up $450/lbs.
On return, at a yield of 1200/ac (leaf/flower mix)  x $20/lbs = $24,000.
Cost to plant is $4000 to $8000 per ac.
Here alot of the farmers cut the flower early in the fall and are still cutting the plants in the field.
Now if you do not have a market or the TCH is to high, then you are out of luck.
That's one thing that has come up. Some lines from the western state have low TCH there, but when raised in KY, the TCH is way to high.

Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary Burnett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2019 at 7:43am
Originally posted by m16ty m16ty wrote:

I'd say the best bet is a silage chopper with a row-less head. You could just use a regular bushhog and rake and bale, but you'll leave quite a bit on the ground.

Everybody has went big with hemp around here this year, looks like most may wind up loosing big. Lots of people had contracts and the contracts fell though, and are having trouble finding somebody to buy it. This spring, all the talk was $40K per acre, now most people are hoping they can at least break even. My personal thought is it's a fad and the supply is more than the demand. Everybody thought they would get rich raising it, but lets face it, they will pay the farmer just enough to keep him raising it, no more. That's the way it's always been, you ain't going to get rich farming.

With any new industry there are going to ups and downs and a steep learning curve.Hemp was a good crop in the USA before the gov't stupidly outlawed it because of the Pot Psychosis thing.Hemp has a lot of very good potential uses,I use Hemp oil on my knees has really helped them to not hurt all the time.I've read its fibers are softer than cotton.
Maybe JD and Kubota can start making their tractor hoods out of hemp,won't break like the plastic they use now and can be ground up when the electronics go completely haywire and tractor is junked(LOL)
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote calico190xt68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2019 at 9:00am
Really appreciate all of the replies!  I was busy last night and didn't get a chance to keep up  with the posts.  I really appreciate all of the info from CabinHollow.  Lot of good ideas to pursue on equipment too.  Allisrutledge, do let me know if you see anyone baling it and what they use.  It got too wet yesterday to do anything, so it is still out there.  The fact that the stuff is still in the field down south, like this stuff, makes me think it is trash this late in the season.  I didn't attend the meetings either, but I am wondering if it isn't worth trying 5 acres for the big dollar CBD oil.  I made nothing, not including my time on soybeans for 5 acres this year and looks tough for years to come so whats the harm? 

This stuff that I am dealing with was targeted at the fiber market.  It appears that the CBD oil harvesting is very tricky.  The window and the ability to snag the perfect seed can't wait on hand harvesting.  Figuring out how to harvest the fiber stuff might be a niche on custom baling as long as the equipment doesn't get torn up.  I will let everyone know what happens on this stuff.  Indiana is very new to this crop so a bunch of people are scratching their heads.  I don't think we are going to go down the silage/wood chipper route, but who knows.  Laughed at the use of hemp for hoods and grinding up of electronics. :-)  Will check into hippie coops too.  :-)  Funny thing is I have seed all over the barn lot where I cleaned off the mower.  If it grows, I would be considered to be illegal.

I think there is money in it, but you have to be in control of the variables and probably be an early successful adopter.  Of course, no one can control the weather which may be one of the reasons the hemp fields are crap this year.
Clay View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2019 at 9:54am
I have a Matthews Company Rotary Scythe. To those unfamiliar with the Rotary Scythe, it is a flail mower.  The flail is a cup blade attached to a pin not a chain 'T' flail.
The Rotary Scythe will cut anything I have tried to cut.  Even does a good job on small trees and buck brush.
I bet it would cut hemp.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary Burnett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2019 at 12:00pm
Originally posted by Clay Clay wrote:

I have a Matthews Company Rotary Scythe. To those unfamiliar with the Rotary Scythe, it is a flail mower.  The flail is a cup blade attached to a pin not a chain 'T' flail.
The Rotary Scythe will cut anything I have tried to cut.  Even does a good job on small trees and buck brush.
I bet it would cut hemp.

I'll 2nd that on the MC Rotary Scythe it will cut anything,actually have 2 one that sits out to the side like a haybind and one that follows directly behind the tractor.
WILLOPS View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WILLOPS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2019 at 12:07pm
Guys here at home are chopping it like silage.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote calico190xt68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2019 at 1:43pm
I passed on buying one of these Rotary Scythes years ago because I didn't know much about it. I may have to revisit that.

Willops,

Are they cutting it first and feeding it into a silage chopper. Or just chopping it in the field. I think they hand cut it to get the tops unless they are focused only on the fiber hemp and then they chop and ship.

Are they done chopping it or still doing it now where you live in Kentucky?
WILLOPS View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WILLOPS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2019 at 2:19pm
calico190xt68, no they are running it straight through self propelled choppers and blowing it into hoppers, then taking it to a self contained baler that makes a larger than normal round bale, that then in turn wraps it with silage wrap. Now with that said, the same guy has started running a baler over it today, they are running right over standing plants and stripping the stalks, they are also using high clearance tractors to clear the hemp.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote calico190xt68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2019 at 2:57pm
WILLOPS, thanks for the info. How does that baler strip the stalks? What kind of baler is it? I wonder if they silage wrapped the good stuff and are "straight" baling the bad stuff or at least the top?

Those old high clearance tractors are making a comeback. :-) Seems hemp requires a bunch of old style equipment. I was going to sell my sickle bar mower too.

The more I investigate this hemp, the crazier it gets on harvesting it.
WILLOPS View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WILLOPS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2019 at 3:08pm
CALICO190XT68, AS FAR AS HOW ITS DOING, GOOD QUESTION, NOT REAL GOOD, THEY CALLED ME YESTERDAY LOOKING FOR A SICKLE MOWER, I DID NOT, SO WE DROVE BY TODAY AND THEY ARE RUNNING IT THROUGH STANDING PLANTS, DIDNT LOOK LIKE IT WAS REALLY STRIPPING IT THAT GREAT. ALSO THIS HEMP IS GROWN IN HEALS LIKE POTATOES, SO THEY MUST BE RUNNIG THE PICK UP ALL THE WAY UP. THEY ARE WRAPPING IT AND ALSO NOT MKING FULL SIZE ROLLS. I THOUGHT THEY MIGHT BALE IT LIKE THE PEANUT FARMERS IN GEORGIA DO, BUT THATS NOT THE WAY THEY ARE DOING IT. IM STILL CONFUSED ON THE WHOLE SITUATION. MOST OF THE PLANTS HERE ARE BARELY KNEE HIGH, WE WENT A MONTH AND A HALF WITH NO RAN SHORTLY AFTER IT WAS PLANTED.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cabinhollow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2019 at 3:35pm
WILLOPS makes some good points.
They do not know whats works best, or what even works.
There is also a number of difference ways, it is planted and grown.
So, what works on one farm, may not work on another farm.
I have seen some that was planted on 6x6 spacing.
Plants 4' tall x 4' diameter and the stake at the ground 3"+ diameter.
And some planted more like tobacco.
Plants 6'+ tall x 1 1/2' diameter and the stake at the ground under 2" diameter.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote calico190xt68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2019 at 3:40pm
Thanks Willops.  If they grow it in heals, they were probably focused on the higher grade CBD stuff and not fiber.  Fiber goes in rows, I believe.  It most likely was a failure due to poor weather as here in Indiana.  Same 30 days, no rain.  If it was barely knee high it was not good hemp.  They are simply trying to salvage something and using some desperate techniques to do that.  Just as we are.  Let me know if you ever get into a conversation with them about what appears to be a fiasco and what worked.  Curious why they are not using a silage chopper?  If they wanted to borrow a sickle mower, they must not have had that in their long term plan.  Probably going to hand cut and now it is worthless to do that.

Perils of farming are everywhere.  I am trying to get a game plan for next year.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote calico190xt68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2019 at 3:47pm
Cabinhollow, agreed.  No one has much experience with this stuff.  The stuff we are dealing with was planted like wheat but with wider spacing.  I am going to find someone over the winter that can explain this stuff to me.  If I decide to go after this market, I will contact you about your hemp stripper assuming you would build another one.  I watched the video and it looked good.  I still don't know what we are going to do up here about harvesting this stuff.

By the way, I looked at your other products and do you make AC Tractor metal signs?  I didn't see any.  Love to have a 190xt version of what you make.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic