This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Anyone ever feel like CA is just the best tractor?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daniel Christensen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Anyone ever feel like CA is just the best tractor?
    Posted: 08 May 2010 at 9:06pm
Ever been running a CA and notice how they're just the best in some way. Just they way they feel and run. They're so small yet have a decent amount of power. I know the CA is my grandpa's favorite. He's 87 and still uses it every year to drill wheat and oats (with our antique Ontario grain drill). I was just running one of our three today because my nephew wanted to ride it. I pulled our little 4 foot spring tooth drag with it just for fun. There's just something about the CA. Anyone else agree? 

Preparing the grain drill:

Tyler on the CA with the little drag: 

We also still use one or two CA's with our two row cultivators. We use the D15 on our rear mount four row cultivator. 

We also spread hay seed with it:

And sometimes pull the 12 foot roller after drilling wheat/oats; it WILL pull it in raw ground after plowing but it REALLY works it: 

Here it is with a belly mount bean puller: 

And here it is with a belly mount 6 foot mower deck; this is what we mow lawn with: 

I would think that this plus the fact that ALL we own and farm with are pre 1970s Allis Chalmers would really be catching some people's attention and would be driving some of you Allis fans nuts.
:D :D :D

Also, I forgot we have a G too. I changed my signature lol:

Edited by Daniel Christensen - 09 May 2010 at 1:31pm
CAx3, Bx2, G, D17x2, D14x2, D15, D19, 190XT, WC, WD-45, 185, Gleaner K.
Sponsored Links

bigfish_Oh View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigfish_Oh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2010 at 9:38pm
All I can say is, I am trying to know what it is like !!!
1941 WC sat for 29 years,started & dynoed 27 h.p.
1957 WD45 Grandpa bought new,factory p.s.,added wfe
1951 WD, factory p.s.
1960 D14 HnMk IV BkHoe 4 sale
2014 HD Tri Glide
2009 GMC CC SLT Dually
Daniel Christensen View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daniel Christensen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2010 at 9:47pm
What do you mean; you've never been on a CA?
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigfish_Oh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2010 at 9:52pm
lots of younger time on a B, I would strongly consider a CA now if it was not a major road trip to get.  I think I can swing it because she said it is a "cute" little tractor, but I will have to a bench seat for wife and grandson !!

are those rubber drill tires?

Edited by bigfish_Oh - 08 May 2010 at 9:53pm
1951 WD, factory p.s.
2014 HD Tri Glide
2009 GMC CC SLT Dually
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daniel Christensen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2010 at 9:55pm
Hey on your post it says "edited by bigfish". can you edit your posts? I looked for that because I made a mistake on a post and wanted to fix it but couldn't find the option. 
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daniel Christensen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2010 at 9:56pm
Yes they are rubber drill tires. Big metal spokes. I don't know the year but it's damn old. 
Jeff Z. NY View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff  Z.  NY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2010 at 9:56pm
That's why the old timers say that the CA stood for Cat's A%!.

I had to do it that way. The moderator doesn't like the letter A with two $$ after it.LOL

Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigfish_Oh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2010 at 9:58pm
click on post options, I think you have a time limit
1951 WD, factory p.s.
2014 HD Tri Glide
2009 GMC CC SLT Dually
MilesGray (CO/KS) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MilesGray (CO/KS) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2010 at 10:02pm
DC,
Under post options it gives you the option to edit your post.
Just go to your last post and click on it to change.
Miles Gray (CO/KS)

5 1938 B's, 1940 B, 1944 WF C, 1948 NF C, Gleaner A, White Top Rotobaler, 1957 IH Golden Jubilee... I'm either a collector, or crazy!
DREAM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DREAM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2010 at 10:19pm
I don't know about a CA, I've never been on one. I love my little C though, especially since I got the cultivators on it and I can tear up(I mean cultivate) something. I've run some of the 100 series tractors(160, 180), but my favorite is still the C. Easy to steer, easy to maneuver, plenty of power for the small stuff, hydraulics, and good visibility.
Eldon (WA) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eldon (WA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2010 at 10:35pm
I used to love my CA until today...it normally runs perfect, but I took it to a local show today and all it did was cough and sputter....made me and AC look bad...guess it is murphy's law.  Even my IB didn't like the show....oh well....
ALLIS EXPRESS!
This year:
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daniel Christensen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2010 at 10:59pm
Hey I thought I posted a reply that said "oh i can't believe i didn't notice that" about being able to edit posts. Whatever. Hey, I thought people would have thought something about an all allis farm. Guess not. 
CTuckerNWIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CTuckerNWIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2010 at 11:09pm
Yep,  the CA is a great little tractor. Work all day on a little gas, 4 speed tranny, hand clutch, WD style hydraulic pump, traction booster, PAW's. What did I miss. Oh I miss my CA cause it's in the shed needing a thrust bearing and that won't get done till I can rebuild the whole engine. Oh well I can still play with the G,the B,and the 45.
http://www.ae-ta.com
Lena 1935 WC12xxx, Willie 1951 CA6xx Dad bought new, 1954WD45 PS, 1960 D17 NF
ToddSin NY View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ToddSin NY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2010 at 11:35pm
On your Ontario grain drill open the 2 front doors on top. Now facing the rear of the drill where the front doors meet the rear doors dead center the numbers there will be the year it was made. If there is a 55 it was made in 1955.
AllisTime View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AllisTime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2010 at 12:29am
I think it is great Danial, that you have an all Allis farm, I'm sure the other guys do to but they all got cought up on the CA or the other stories....I love the little CA's we have one wide and one narrow front, they are just so handy to do most smaller jobs and some bigger jobs at times to,,,Wayne!!
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daniel Christensen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2010 at 12:39am
I believe I have pictures of those instructions and model information stuff on Flickr. I know I took pictures of the area you're talking about. Grrr no they must not have come out good so I didn't upload them; good luck to me finding them on my computer! 

But not to be a total let down here's a picture for ya: 

Not only is it crazy for the tractor, it's snowing out and I just took this 5 minutes ago. It's the middle of May and it's snowing out. In March, it hit NINETY in Penn Yan. Now it's May and it's freezing out, windy as hell, and snowing. It's actually accumulating on some things, too. 
Calvin Schmidt View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Calvin Schmidt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2010 at 6:44am
Daniel, I have driven most Allis tractors but have never had any experience with a CA so can't comment. Do I see a BIDWELL or BOB 44 bean combine in your shed? I've grown edible beans for years and had a BOB 666 combine from  Stanley New York.
Nothing is impossible if it is properly financed
realolman View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote realolman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2010 at 6:53am
That G might be the cat's anus too, but I don't think the biplane wings are gonna fly.

And yes I am very jealous of all the ac s you have. 
I really like that one... looks like a newer D- something or other you got sitting there in the one picture.

Someone mentioned a C or CA having hydraulics... exactly wht kind of hydraulics do they have... can you hook up hydraulic hoses to them?

Edited by realolman - 09 May 2010 at 6:57am
Chris/CT View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris/CT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2010 at 6:58am
CA is a fine tractor, but, getting on and off is a chore, bounce around on that seat like your going to fall off all the time, they like to buck like a rocking horse. When you get old, you will be jumping on a D-series/100 series before the old CA if you want a nice ride.
Dave(inMA) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave(inMA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2010 at 8:06am
realolman, my CA has one hydraulic outlet mounted under the seat in addition to the SC system.
WC, CA, D14, WD45
RMD View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RMD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2010 at 10:56am

I grew up with CA's, but I take my D-12 series II with true independent hydraulics and PTO over the CA any day.  I remember pushing snow with a back blade and a CA - push back, pushing the clutch to stop, take it out of gear and let the clutch out to lift the blade, push the clutch back in to put it in gear to move forward.  Get' s old after a while.

Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daniel Christensen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2010 at 1:15pm
  • that sure is a Bidwell Bean Combine; I'm not sure what model it is; but I know it's from the 60's. Behind it, you can't see it, there's our old Bidwell combine from the 50s. It has spoke tires, an engine on it, and no dump box. It has an auger instead. Let me try to find a picture of it. 
  • Okay here is the newer one: Oh this is BS I can't upload anymore unless I delete older ones. Hmmm, question; is there a better place where I am suposed to upload images? I already tried this one place where you choose the model and stuff but when I tried to upload it said Error 404 page not found as if it's an old expired page. 
  • Well whatever, here's the URL's for flickr, copy and paste them: http://www.flickr.com/photos/rcadimensia/4087021314/
  • Here's the older on: http://www.flickr.com/photos/rcadimensia/4086283399/
And the wings on the G, that's actually a seat someone half assed made for it. I took it off right after I took that.
B26240 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote B26240 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2010 at 1:17pm
Daniel  Yes the CA is a great tractor!!! thankyou for sharing the pics. Mark L
DREAM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DREAM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2010 at 1:53pm
Daniel, go to photobucket. Create an account. Then you can upload all of the pics u want. Go to your albums after u finish uploading. Scroll over the image, a drop down should appear with options. Left click on the one for image code, then right click and copy. Then go back over to your post and paste. Works great and you don't have to resize before you post.  That's my '46 C, by the way. Name's Mistress, cause my wife don't like her and she makes me spend all my money on her.LOL!

Edited by DREAM - 09 May 2010 at 1:55pm
DREAM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DREAM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2010 at 1:57pm
Umm, so what's up with the "stealth muffler" setup on the G? Watch out for overhead power lines buddy!LOL!
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daniel Christensen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2010 at 3:16pm
Hahaha I like to sneak around. lol I never actually got it going that night so i don't know how quiet it would be. I am Daniel Christensen on Flickr, believe me I know about photo uploading. I was asking about uploading on THIS site. If there was a good place. I have reached my limit apparently for the photo upload space used when you click the insert photo icon here in the forums, wherever that location is, I have reached the limit. 
wkpoor View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wkpoor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2010 at 9:43pm
The CA is my reason for dumping all my Red stuff. Great little tractor.
Ken in Texas View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken in Texas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2010 at 9:49pm
I thought so too until the last tractor pull. I my best CA got outpulled by a D12 and a Grey one and a green and yellow one in 3500 stock class
morton(pa) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote morton(pa) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2010 at 9:57pm
Hey Eldon, Don't feel so bad. The same thing happened to me yesterday. Emptied the float bowl out before I left because it had a tiny bit of water in it. Got to the show and all it did was cough and sputter. Oh well. Guess I'll have to take the fuel line off and look at the carb and do some investigating. 
CTuckerNWIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CTuckerNWIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2010 at 10:04pm
Eldon and Morton, You ever notice how there has to be at least a dozen people watching close when those things happen? 
http://www.ae-ta.com
Lena 1935 WC12xxx, Willie 1951 CA6xx Dad bought new, 1954WD45 PS, 1960 D17 NF
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic