This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Allis chalmers wd45 head gasket

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hunter321 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Allis chalmers wd45 head gasket
    Posted: 16 hours 28 minutes ago at 12:56pm
I am replacing the head gasket on my wd45 and was wondering how difficult it will be.
I'm planning on leaving everything bolted to the head and only replacing the head gasket and valve cover gasket
Sponsored Links

hunter321 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hunter321 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 hours 12 minutes ago at 1:12pm
I'm not planning on replacing the head bolts
Brian G. NY View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian G.  NY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 hours 32 minutes ago at 1:52pm
I think you will have to remove the rocker arm assembly to gain access to some of the head bolts. Not much of a job at all. You'll have to readjust the valves when you're done anyway.
hunter321 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hunter321 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 hours 18 minutes ago at 2:06pm
How hard is it to readjust the valves
hunter321 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hunter321 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 hours 48 minutes ago at 3:36pm
My head gasket has been bad for a while and I'm just now realizing.
dr p View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr p Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 hours 3 minutes ago at 4:21pm
I was able to readjust the valves and i am a moron. Just ask my dog
hunter321 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hunter321 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 hours 27 minutes ago at 4:57pm
What do I have to do to readjust the valves
dr p View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr p Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 hours 22 minutes ago at 5:02pm
Its like any any valve adjustment. Clearance guide and a little patience. Instructions in the owners manual
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 hours 19 minutes ago at 5:05pm
In all honesty, if you organize the push rods by placing them in a piece of cardboard with 8 holes in it, and place them back EXACTLY where they were before you took it apart, the engine will run fine. This is because the valve lash really doesn't change just by replacing the head gasket. A new gasket or an old gasket are the SAME thickness. This isn't the best scenario, but someone who doesn't know how to adjust valves, this is the best way. The million dollar question would be WHY do you think the head gasket it bad and in need of replacement ??
hunter321 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hunter321 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 hours 12 minutes ago at 5:12pm
My oil is full of coolant and water
WF owner View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WF owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 hours 3 minutes ago at 5:21pm
Before you even think about removing the head, remove the oil pan and pressurize the cooling system (radiator). This will allow you to see where the coolant is coming from that is contaminating your oil.

The 201 or 226 engines are not known for head gasket problems. I doubt the head gasket is your problem. It is more likely an O ring on one of the sleeves, a hole in a sleeve or possibly a cracked head. 

Edited by WF owner - 12 hours 1 minutes ago at 5:23pm
hunter321 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hunter321 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 hours 56 minutes ago at 5:28pm
It runs perfectly fine with the water oil mix.
This tractor sat outside uncovered for 15 years

Edited by hunter321 - 11 hours 55 minutes ago at 5:29pm
hunter321 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hunter321 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 hours 54 minutes ago at 5:30pm
How would I pressurize the radiator
hunter321 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hunter321 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 hours 48 minutes ago at 5:36pm
I know the head is not cracked
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 hours 38 minutes ago at 5:46pm
No, you don't. Are there any frost plugs under the valve cover that are rusted out or pushed up out of place ?? My money is that or a cracked/split BLOCK.
WF owner View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WF owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 hours 35 minutes ago at 5:49pm
You should be able to rent a pressurizing kit from a local auto parts store or buy an inexpensive one from Harbor Freight.

If you are sure the head is not cracked, I assume you had it off. Did you use any sealant on the head gasket when reinstalling? Have you retorqued the head?
hunter321 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hunter321 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 hours 28 minutes ago at 5:56pm
It didn't look like any frost plugs are rusted or out
hunter321 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hunter321 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 hours 59 minutes ago at 6:25pm
Before we do any major tests we are going to put used engine oil in and put everything back together and add head gasket sealer to see what that does
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 hours 51 minutes ago at 6:33pm
" My oil is full of COOLANT and WATER."     This is a confusing statement. Water and antifreeze (coolant) actually mix together. They do not stay separated.  WATER comes from rain water from the exhaust system not being adequately covered or sealed up when sitting outdoors. COOLANT (anti-freeze) comes from the engines cooling system having an internal leak.....rusted out freeze plugs in the cylinder head, a leaking head gasket (usually not likely) leaking sleeve Orings (again not normally likely) and a cracked block on the bottom, which is very likely. Remove the oil pan. Make sure the cooling system is full and pressure test the cooling system by pumping it up to no more than 10 psi and wait and see where the COOLANT starts dripping from. It may take a day or more to see any drips if it is a slow/small  leak.
hunter321 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hunter321 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 hours 1 minutes ago at 7:23pm
To check for holes we are going to fill the radiator with water and leave the oil plug out and if it drains the radiator we are going to wait and have a shop work on it
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic