Forum Description: everything about Allis-Chalmers farm equipment
URL: https://www.allischalmers.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=203847
Printed Date: 27 Oct 2024 at 5:20am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.10 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Allis chalmers wd45 head gasket
Posted By: hunter321
Subject: Allis chalmers wd45 head gasket
Date Posted: 26 Oct 2024 at 12:56pm
I am replacing the head gasket on my wd45 and was wondering how difficult it will be.
I'm planning on leaving everything bolted to the head and only replacing the head gasket and valve cover gasket

Replies:
Date Posted: 26 Oct 2024 at 1:12pm
I'm not planning on replacing the head bolts

Posted By: Brian G. NY
Date Posted: 26 Oct 2024 at 1:52pm
I think you will have to remove the rocker arm assembly to gain access to some of the head bolts. Not much of a job at all. You'll have to readjust the valves when you're done anyway.

Date Posted: 26 Oct 2024 at 2:06pm
How hard is it to readjust the valves

Date Posted: 26 Oct 2024 at 3:36pm
My head gasket has been bad for a while and I'm just now realizing.

Posted By: dr p
Date Posted: 26 Oct 2024 at 4:21pm
I was able to readjust the valves and i am a moron. Just ask my dog

Date Posted: 26 Oct 2024 at 4:57pm
What do I have to do to readjust the valves

Posted By: dr p
Date Posted: 26 Oct 2024 at 5:02pm
Its like any any valve adjustment. Clearance guide and a little patience. Instructions in the owners manual

Posted By: DrAllis
Date Posted: 26 Oct 2024 at 5:05pm
In all honesty, if you organize the push rods by placing them in a piece of cardboard with 8 holes in it, and place them back EXACTLY where they were before you took it apart, the engine will run fine. This is because the valve lash really doesn't change just by replacing the head gasket. A new gasket or an old gasket are the SAME thickness. This isn't the best scenario, but someone who doesn't know how to adjust valves, this is the best way. The million dollar question would be WHY do you think the head gasket it bad and in need of replacement ??

Date Posted: 26 Oct 2024 at 5:12pm
My oil is full of coolant and water

Posted By: WF owner
Date Posted: 26 Oct 2024 at 5:21pm
Before you even think about removing the head, remove the oil pan and pressurize the cooling system (radiator). This will allow you to see where the coolant is coming from that is contaminating your oil.

The 201 or 226 engines are not known for head gasket problems. I doubt the head gasket is your problem. It is more likely an O ring on one of the sleeves, a hole in a sleeve or possibly a cracked head. 

Date Posted: 26 Oct 2024 at 5:28pm
It runs perfectly fine with the water oil mix.
This tractor sat outside uncovered for 15 years

Date Posted: 26 Oct 2024 at 5:30pm
How would I pressurize the radiator

Date Posted: 26 Oct 2024 at 5:36pm
I know the head is not cracked

Date Posted: 26 Oct 2024 at 5:46pm
No, you don't. Are there any frost plugs under the valve cover that are rusted out or pushed up out of place ?? My money is that or a cracked/split BLOCK.

Posted By: WF owner
Date Posted: 26 Oct 2024 at 5:49pm
You should be able to rent a pressurizing kit from a local auto parts store or buy an inexpensive one from Harbor Freight.

If you are sure the head is not cracked, I assume you had it off. Did you use any sealant on the head gasket when reinstalling? Have you retorqued the head?

Date Posted: 26 Oct 2024 at 5:56pm
It didn't look like any frost plugs are rusted or out

Date Posted: 26 Oct 2024 at 6:25pm
Before we do any major tests we are going to put used engine oil in and put everything back together and add head gasket sealer to see what that does

Date Posted: 26 Oct 2024 at 6:33pm
" My oil is full of COOLANT and WATER."     This is a confusing statement. Water and antifreeze (coolant) actually mix together. They do not stay separated.  WATER comes from rain water from the exhaust system not being adequately covered or sealed up when sitting outdoors. COOLANT (anti-freeze) comes from the engines cooling system having an internal leak.....rusted out freeze plugs in the cylinder head, a leaking head gasket (usually not likely) leaking sleeve Orings (again not normally likely) and a cracked block on the bottom, which is very likely. Remove the oil pan. Make sure the cooling system is full and pressure test the cooling system by pumping it up to no more than 10 psi and wait and see where the COOLANT starts dripping from. It may take a day or more to see any drips if it is a slow/small  leak.

Date Posted: 26 Oct 2024 at 7:23pm
To check for holes we are going to fill the radiator with water and leave the oil plug out and if it drains the radiator we are going to wait and have a shop work on it

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.10 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2017 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net