This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Allis 7060 Power Steering Not Working

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WiscoHayBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Allis 7060 Power Steering Not Working
    Posted: 27 Oct 2021 at 8:36am
Looking for thoughts on what could be wrong the the power steering on my 1979 Allis 7060. I bought this tractor a few weeks ago and it was working perfectly fine. I started it one cold morning and it the steering was hard and non responsive. I did some reseach and pulled the spool out of the flow divider thinking it could be stuck, looked fine, cleaned it, and put it back in. Steering worked again. 

A couple weeks went by and the steering stopped working again. As it is right now if the tractor sits for a while I can start it up, run it at idle and the power steering will respond for a minute or less, then get hard to turn and then be unresponsive. If within that minute when the steering is working, the engine is revved up to about 1200 or higher rpm the steering gets hard and unresponsive. It still does not work when rpm is lowered to idle. 

I tested the pressure at the flow divider an here were the results:

Cold engine start (power steering working at this point at idle). Not turning wheel = 0 psi. Turn wheel all the way to right = 1800 psi. Turn it all the way left = 1800 psi. 

If I raise engine rpm while turning wheel back and forth (steering has a hard spot, then normal, then hard, etc. but in about 15 seconds of doing that it progressively get harder to turn and less responsive). Psi jumps up when it turns normal and drops when it gets hard to turn until eventually there is no pressure when steering is hard and non responsive.

Any thoughs/advice?

Also, Powershift, 3 point lift, rear remotes are all functional even when the power steering is not.
Sponsored Links

DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2021 at 8:38am
You don't say whether the tractor will move or not when this steering issue occurs. I'd say very low on oil in the rear end and/or the wrong left hand hydraulic filter under the belly.
WiscoHayBoy View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WiscoHayBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2021 at 8:45am
With power steering not working the Powershift still functions and the tractor will move. Brakes work yet as does 3 point, PTO, and rear remotes.
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2021 at 7:32pm
Still sounds to me like cavitation/oil starvation, which gets down to low oil level (where are you checking the oil?) plugged or after-market left hand oil filter, or the spring loaded door inside the filter is sucking shut when the engine is running, especially when throttled up.
Mikez View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mikez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2021 at 7:40pm
welcome to the forum
Albert View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2021 at 7:48pm
Also be sure left filter has a screen in it and to the inside,
Albert
MACK View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MACK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2021 at 7:56pm
I'm with the Dr. Enough oil at start up, but as oil gets circulated, not enough for steering. Piston pump is getting enough from surge chamber to work 3pt and ect.                        MACK
WiscoHayBoy View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WiscoHayBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2021 at 8:36pm
So tonight I stopped by the Agco dealer and picked up a new LH filter. Changed it out and walla I have power steering again! The previous owner said he just changed all the filters but I guess now I will be changing all the filters just to make sure. Only time will tell to see if the filter was indeed the problem or if there is an underlying issue. I appreciate all the thought and suggestions on this and want to extend a thank you to all members that helped me out now and will probably help me again in the future.
Mikez View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mikez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2021 at 10:29pm
is this your only allis.
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2021 at 6:24am
Was the old filter an AGCO filter ???????????   And I certainly hope you have it FULL of oil. You didn't respond to my question as to where are you checking the hydraulic oil.

Edited by DrAllis - 28 Oct 2021 at 8:41am
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic