Forum Description: everything about Allis-Chalmers farm equipment
URL: https://www.allischalmers.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=184201
Printed Date: 20 Apr 2024 at 4:04am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.10 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Allis 7060 Power Steering Not Working
Posted By: WiscoHayBoy
Subject: Allis 7060 Power Steering Not Working
Date Posted: 27 Oct 2021 at 8:36am
Looking for thoughts on what could be wrong the the power steering on my 1979 Allis 7060. I bought this tractor a few weeks ago and it was working perfectly fine. I started it one cold morning and it the steering was hard and non responsive. I did some reseach and pulled the spool out of the flow divider thinking it could be stuck, looked fine, cleaned it, and put it back in. Steering worked again. 

A couple weeks went by and the steering stopped working again. As it is right now if the tractor sits for a while I can start it up, run it at idle and the power steering will respond for a minute or less, then get hard to turn and then be unresponsive. If within that minute when the steering is working, the engine is revved up to about 1200 or higher rpm the steering gets hard and unresponsive. It still does not work when rpm is lowered to idle. 

I tested the pressure at the flow divider an here were the results:

Cold engine start (power steering working at this point at idle). Not turning wheel = 0 psi. Turn wheel all the way to right = 1800 psi. Turn it all the way left = 1800 psi. 

If I raise engine rpm while turning wheel back and forth (steering has a hard spot, then normal, then hard, etc. but in about 15 seconds of doing that it progressively get harder to turn and less responsive). Psi jumps up when it turns normal and drops when it gets hard to turn until eventually there is no pressure when steering is hard and non responsive.

Any thoughs/advice?

Also, Powershift, 3 point lift, rear remotes are all functional even when the power steering is not.

Replies:
Posted By: DrAllis
Date Posted: 27 Oct 2021 at 8:38am
You don't say whether the tractor will move or not when this steering issue occurs. I'd say very low on oil in the rear end and/or the wrong left hand hydraulic filter under the belly.

Date Posted: 27 Oct 2021 at 8:45am
With power steering not working the Powershift still functions and the tractor will move. Brakes work yet as does 3 point, PTO, and rear remotes.

Date Posted: 27 Oct 2021 at 7:32pm
Still sounds to me like cavitation/oil starvation, which gets down to low oil level (where are you checking the oil?) plugged or after-market left hand oil filter, or the spring loaded door inside the filter is sucking shut when the engine is running, especially when throttled up.

Posted By: Mikez
Date Posted: 27 Oct 2021 at 7:40pm
welcome to the forum

Posted By: Albert
Date Posted: 27 Oct 2021 at 7:48pm
Also be sure left filter has a screen in it and to the inside,
Albert

Posted By: MACK
Date Posted: 27 Oct 2021 at 7:56pm
I'm with the Dr. Enough oil at start up, but as oil gets circulated, not enough for steering. Piston pump is getting enough from surge chamber to work 3pt and ect.                        MACK

Date Posted: 27 Oct 2021 at 8:36pm
So tonight I stopped by the Agco dealer and picked up a new LH filter. Changed it out and walla I have power steering again! The previous owner said he just changed all the filters but I guess now I will be changing all the filters just to make sure. Only time will tell to see if the filter was indeed the problem or if there is an underlying issue. I appreciate all the thought and suggestions on this and want to extend a thank you to all members that helped me out now and will probably help me again in the future.

Posted By: Mikez
Date Posted: 27 Oct 2021 at 10:29pm
is this your only allis.

Date Posted: 28 Oct 2021 at 6:24am
Was the old filter an AGCO filter ???????????   And I certainly hope you have it FULL of oil. You didn't respond to my question as to where are you checking the hydraulic oil.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.10 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2017 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net