This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

A Story About "Allie", The 1953 WD

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5678>
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Allis dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2022 at 9:32am
You're bringing back a lot of memories. I did all this to my 45 back in 2009-2011.
I rememebr fixing up the work front pivot parts. I had new pieces made and welded a new bolt on the the axle. The angle of the bolt wasn't quite right so I had to cut it off, put everything together and weld the bolt on in place. Confused Old stories now...
Sponsored Links

Jtaylor View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jtaylor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2022 at 7:27am
I was able to get the front axle back into the chassis last night with some new mounting hardware. the power steering fits nice above the rear axle mount. 

Eric B View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eric B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2022 at 2:59pm
Very nice work!!
Currently- WD,WC,3WF's,2 D14's B. Previously- I 600,TL745,200,FL9,FR12,H3,816 LBH. Earth has no sorrow that Heaven cannot heal!
Jtaylor View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jtaylor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2022 at 7:52am
I was able to make some more headway over the easter weekend here. 

Exhaust manifold installed as well as carb loosely installed to check some other functions. 

Seat also repaired and primered. I took the seat spring apart to clean and primer. I also installed new spring bushings 

I also got the front end apart and new bushings installed, I had to repair the spindles to fit correctly without slop. These are the final photos 

I also rebuilt the throttle linkage and installed onto the tractor. 

IBWD MIke View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2022 at 8:37am
Going to be one super-nice WD when you get done!
Jtaylor View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jtaylor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2022 at 6:44am
Some more parts have arrived! oil filter, ignition coil and Pertonix ignition 12V negative ground setup. 

I also picked up some engine oil and filled the engine up, pertronix is installed but not wired, I have valves to adjust tonight and do some more spindle work or the left steering spindle. once that is complete we will be very close to paint for the remainder of the pieces of the chassis. Hoping for the whole running chassis to be painted orange by the beginning of next week! 
jvin248 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jvin248 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2022 at 7:37pm

You're making a lot of progress!

I swapped over my WD original-style manifold today for the newer WD45 manifold like you have. About to button up the carb and there was no space for the original carb bolts. So I had to stop and go get new studs so I won't have it fired back up until tomorrow.

Jtaylor View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jtaylor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2022 at 6:52am
Originally posted by jvin248 jvin248 wrote:

You're making a lot of progress!

I swapped over my WD original-style manifold today for the newer WD45 manifold like you have. About to button up the carb and there was no space for the original carb bolts. So I had to stop and go get new studs so I won't have it fired back up until tomorrow.

Definitely a bit tight on that manifold! i had to cut mine to fit as well. 
Sugarmaker View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2022 at 10:08am
Mr. Taylor,
 It is coming along very nicely! You have the large tension spring for the throttle linkage?
Reworking the vertical steering shafts will help it steer like a new one. I did some similar things to our WD, and it steers very nice now! Your power steering system is very cool. Nice job engineering and fabricating the attachment hardware!
My old brain cant hardly get around that but your make it look easy.
 Regards,
 Chris
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
Jtaylor View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jtaylor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2022 at 6:06am
Yesterday was a very progressive day. The warm Temps allowed me to complete the majority of the items i wanted to. I prepped for paint by finishing some loose ends and getting cotter pins back into certain areas as well as some missing bolts. 

here is the tractor prior to painting 

After 2 coats of paint, this is what Allie looked like

After the 2 coats, I touched up a couple areas with a 3rd coat. 

after the hardener started its magic, I was able to put some new spark plugs and ignition wires into place. along with a pertonix ignition kit and new coil 

Exhaust manifold and carburetor looking good in place! 

I also got the shifter boot and knob into place. I was really looking forward to installing that shifter boot. It was one of the first parts i purchased! its been a long wait but it finally found its home. 

And the new oil pressure gauge. 

Hoping to have the unit wired up over the next few days, Front hubs installed and the unit back onto its wheels by the end of the week. I will need to move the tractor outside to get the hood, grille and fuel tank prepped and painted. 

plummerscarin View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote plummerscarin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2022 at 7:18am
Great progress. Looking good
IBWD MIke View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2022 at 8:48am
Looks great!
Strokendiesel002 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strokendiesel002 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2022 at 8:43pm
Awesome work!

Thanks for sharing with us
Jtaylor View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jtaylor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2022 at 7:03am
Got a couple rolls of wire in to wire up the tractor. I have my wiring diagram ready and a new alternator on it's way. Should be ready to wire this one up tomorrow and prepare for it's first start! 

I also was able to get some new wheel bearings for the front hubs. They should be finished at the beginning of next week. 

Valve adjustment also completed. set to 0.014" as per some of the guides on this forum. Of course i will need to double check for valve adjustment when hot, this is a good starting point on a cold engine. 

Jtaylor View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jtaylor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2022 at 6:38am
made some considerable progress over the weekend. 

Got the wiring completed friday night into saturday - lots of wires to the front of the tractor. mainly for the alternator and the power steering. 

Here was all the wire loomed up and tucked away. I think i genuinely used just over 65 ft of wire total.. 

I also got the console in placeand ammeter wiring correct. Looks good to me! 

I then installed the front hubs with new bearings. packed and ready to go now. 

And the front wheels were put back on to make it mobile. It was also a good test for the power steering unit. It works amazing. 

I also fired up the tractor for the first time. After having to reposition the distributor (180* out) it fired right up. Ran very good as well. I also changed all fluids and refilled with Hytrans. 
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strokendiesel002 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2022 at 2:11pm
Very Nice Work!!!

I really am digging your power steering setup, may have to experiment with my D17. It's kinda tough when I've got a bucket full of stuff. Lots of worn parts to replace and repair before I add power though.

Thank you for sharing your journey, ideas and methods

Jimmy
ac hunter View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2022 at 6:42pm
Very interesting to see your tractor grow as you add parts. Looks really good. Thanks for sharing all those pictures.
Jtaylor View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jtaylor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2022 at 10:15am
Originally posted by ac hunter ac hunter wrote:

Very interesting to see your tractor grow as you add parts. Looks really good. Thanks for sharing all those pictures.

Thanks for following along! 

As a general update, Tires have been ordered.. $1900CAD for a pair of BKT 13.6x28 and 5.50x16's with tubes. that one hurt.. 
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2022 at 2:43pm
J,
 Very nice work on the custom wiring and assembly work!
Regards,
 Chris
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
Jtaylor View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jtaylor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2022 at 8:06am
Well, The tractor runs on its own wheels. those were HEAVY! they are loaded... 

but, The tractor moves on its own wheels, back and fourth, runs well considering. Lots of little work left to do but making some progress! 

brake adjustment here in progress. 

And out of the shed on its own power. check out that nice juice bottle for a fuel tank! 

Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strokendiesel002 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2022 at 10:56pm
Looking good!

Congratulations, had to be a great feeling :)
Jtaylor View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jtaylor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2022 at 1:44pm
Was able to get the tractor outside this weekend for some sunshine! Just plugging away on the air cleaner fabrication as well as a few other odds and ends. 

AC720Man View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC720Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2022 at 9:16pm
Nice work, goes to show you don't have to have a fancy shop to turn out nice work.
1968 B-208, 1976 720 (2 of them)Danco brush hog, single bottom plow,52" snow thrower, belly mower,rear tine tiller, rear blade, front blade, 57"sickle bar,1983 917 hydro, 1968 7hp sno-bee, 1968 190XTD
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2022 at 6:50am
J,
Great work getting the Allis moving! You have done a lot of work. Hang in there the details at this point seem to take a long time. Sure looks good!
 Regards,
 Chris
Jtaylor View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jtaylor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2022 at 7:46am
Not too much progress as of lately. I have the hood, air cleaner fuel tank and fenders at the sandblasters currently. should receive them back this weekend. New tires are ordered at the tune of $1900.. i have them holding 13.6x28's but debating with 14.9x28's... regardless i will need to remove the tires to repair the rims around the valve stems. hoping for that in the next couple of weeks. 
FloydKS View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FloydKS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2022 at 9:20am
Keep up the good work... my dad would say, I am not concerned so much as to how fast you work, just keep working.
Holding a grudge is like taking poison and expecting the other person to die
Jtaylor View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jtaylor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2022 at 7:01am
I worked on the fuel tank a bit over the weekend. I was able to get the large dent slide hammered out and body filled. will be a good looking tank when finished up.. 

I also have wanted to put this exhaust pipe onto the tractor since day one. The only trouble was, That the exhaust was a straight pipe and it sounded horrible.. 

So, I took apart my rotten Stanley muffler and essentially repacked mine with Stanley bits and pieces. Fabricated a top plate to hold it in place and welded it on the bottom side.  Now i have a quiet muffled straight pipe! it works very well!. 

plummerscarin View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote plummerscarin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2022 at 11:55am
Those are neat ideas. I have a tank of another color with a similar problem. Was gonna buy a stud welder but those washers could save the day.
IBWD MIke View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2022 at 6:58am
I'm with you on the sound of a straight pipe. Never cared for it. Your mod would help I'm sure.
Jtaylor View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jtaylor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2022 at 8:11am
Originally posted by IBWD MIke IBWD MIke wrote:

I'm with you on the sound of a straight pipe. Never cared for it. Your mod would help I'm sure.

It was pretty amazing how much of a change it adds to the exhaust. It works very well. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5678>
  Share Topic