This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

A Story About "Allie", The 1953 WD

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 8>
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jtaylor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2021 at 8:21pm
Well, 

Another progress update. I Have watched every episode of Sparks, Fire and bailing wire's youtube restoration and have started to dig in myself. wasting no time i started with the hood and radiator. I also pulled the spark plugs to see how things were doing. 

Everything got bagged up into ziploc bags for future use. You can see Sarah with the nicer writing marking and putting everything away here: 

And Myself, Getting ready to wrench some more: 

We were able to pull the radiator without any broken bolts (BONUS). Found the radiator was original to the tractor built in 03/1953 and is still in decent shape

And the problem was found here. Cylinder #2 spark plug is super wet, And the cylinder is clean of carbon. Indicating a coolant leak. internal to the engine. 

Looks like it is making oil also... weirdest color of oil i've seen recently. 

As it is nearing the end of the night, here is how it sits. 

I will get the coolant cleaned up tomorrow when the tractor is finished draining. Looks like our next step is to have the engine removed on the weekend and put onto an engine stand until we are ready to plug away at it. Haven't ordered any parts as of yet, but i have the feeling it will be coming sooner rather than later. 

Since the engine has to come apart, Maybe now's the time to install a WD45 crankshaft?

I think we will be mainly using it in the parades and we would like to do 10 or so tractor pulls a year and be somewhat competitive in a farm "stock" class. 
Sponsored Links

Sugarmaker View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2021 at 6:24am
Justin,
You have a great project with the WD series tractor! You will have some work ahead of you, but lots of folks on here for support, advice, and also good Allis parts too. 
You do have a water leak into the oil system. It may have been easier to find through a water pressure test through the radiator, but you may be able to find it in other ways. That looks to be your main hurdle at this point. Having done one that had this problem it can be a challenge. But it has to be remedied. I just rebuild a Ford engine that had a internal block leak and was able to use some magic K&W sealer to stop the leak. One my first one I had to get another Allis block.
I like your writing style. Glad you and your wife are working on the tractor together.
 I can tell you a trick that is a lot of work but very rewarding near the end of the project.
Sometimes I do this sometimes I dont. Try to clean the parts going into the bags as you take them off. It is a lot of extra work, and they may need final touches before assembly be it helps speed up the end process. And you can see if something needs replaced.
Great job bagging and tagging items! You will have 75 of those. Well worth the time. Also take lots of pictures before you take things apart. It helps too.
Keep up the good work on Allie!
Regards,
 Chris
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
55allis View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 55allis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2021 at 1:45pm
Just thought of the paint, what kind are you thinking of? It should be Persian 1 orange and gloss black. If you want to take a look at my thread (1949 Allis Chalmers WD project) it might help a little going through with the restoration.
Although I didn’t take the engine apart like what you are doing.
Jtaylor View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jtaylor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2021 at 1:58pm
Originally posted by 55allis 55allis wrote:

Just thought of the paint, what kind are you thinking of? It should be Persian 1 orange and gloss black. If you want to take a look at my thread (1949 Allis Chalmers WD project) it might help a little going through with the restoration.
Although I didn’t take the engine apart like what you are doing.

I will be on the hunt shortly for Persian #1 paint for the whole tractor. If i am not mistaken it should be Persian #1 with black lights and some features and silver rear rims. I will definitely check out your thread! 
55allis View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 55allis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2021 at 2:14pm
55allis View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 55allis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2021 at 2:18pm
If the page has about 33 different colors, than select the one I circle.
Just in case you get it from them.
It’s just less than $40 a gallon but it will need harder also.

Edited by 55allis - 19 Oct 2021 at 2:21pm
Jtaylor View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jtaylor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2021 at 2:31pm

If the page has about 33 different colors, than select the one I circle.
Just in case you get it from them.
It’s just less than $40 a gallon but it will need harder also.

I appreciate the color! Unfortunately, Vansickle paint does not ship to canada. May have to get a member here to order it up in the USA and ill pay the shipping to get it to canada. 

55allis View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 55allis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2021 at 3:25pm
I’m sorry, I never thought of that problem with them.
Is there a AGCO dealer around your place?
SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2021 at 7:55pm
A 45 cam is same...you want a 175 cam...NLA but can be ground on old cam
Jtaylor View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jtaylor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2021 at 6:16am
Originally posted by SteveM C/IL SteveM C/IL wrote:

I have a couple spare camshafts, But i was looking for the Crankshaft to give it some more stroke. 

Whats the Cam differences between the WD45 cam and the 175 cam? Your telling me my machine shop should be able to grind it to 175 specs from the original 45 cam? 
Jtaylor View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jtaylor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2021 at 7:30am
Some minor progress made on the tractor last night. i have been working on getting the sandblasting cabinet up and running again for all the small parts. here was a test of the air intake rain cap with glass beads. turned out pretty slick i would say! 4 layers of orange paint removed. 

here is before: 

and after

a little skim coat for all the pitting and we will be ready for primer on that piece. I will likely get the primer onto all the small parts and pieces during the winter before we paint things earlier into next year. 

55allis View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 55allis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2021 at 1:05pm
I use Diamond cut sandblast
media, not saying anything bad about the glass because
never tried glass. That just about looks like what my soda blaster leaves!!!
The diamond cut will get rid of some of the rust dents, anyway it did on mine.
Also the soda blaster can be used on the engine, transmission, and the rear end.
Hopefully I didn’t ramble too much about that.
55allis View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 55allis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2021 at 1:46pm
One other thing, what kind of blaster did you get?
Also if you want to blast something too big to fit in the
cabinet just pull the blaster out of the cabinet and lay a tarp or something to save the sand and less clean up.
Jtaylor View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jtaylor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2021 at 1:55pm

One other thing, what kind of blaster did you get?
Also if you want to blast something too big to fit in the
cabinet just pull the blaster out of the cabinet and lay a tarp or something to save the sand and less clean up.

Thanks for the tip! Its just a small little cabinet setup. nothing crazy. i did also purchase an outdoor unit for another winter project that we will be using during the next couple days. I will likely use the outdoor stuff for large items and the cabinet for the small ones like bolts, plates and covers. 
Jtaylor View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jtaylor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2021 at 10:51am
Well, More progress this weekend. Got some lighting installed into our shelter and was able to remove the engine from the tractor! 

Here is some photos of the engine removal (Sarah looking super impressed) : 

We were able to remove the engine without removing the steering box or steering shafts. worked well and took about 30 minutes to remove once everything was in order

this is how it sits now, Back in its home and ready for more disassembly over the next week or so. prepping for sandblasting in the next 3 weeks before the snow flies! 

Check out the valve lash on this one! and crusty rocker arms! Good thing for spares!!! 

Got the engine onto a stand in the garage. I was curious as to what was inside and if the crankshaft was a WD45 or WD crankshaft. here are the results for yourself...

The cylinder head doesn't look too terrible and will be reused with a bit of cleanup and a valve job. 

Looks like we have a 4" stroke (WD) crankshaft with a set of aftermarket or original? WD45 power crater pistons. The ultimate low compression setup. 

Now onto the rest. Lets get the remaining items removed and prepared for sandblasting. 

Edited by Jtaylor - 25 Oct 2021 at 10:52am
JK in Pa View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JK in Pa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2021 at 11:15am
Looking good.  Looks like you have a series 40 block.  No cracks between cylinders 2-3 and 3-4. Correct? If possible would you post the number inside the pistons.  I rebuilt my 53 serial 144087 about fifteen years ago.  I bought my rebuild kit from an AC dealer that was closing.  Was told it was a 45 kit and didn’t question it as it was shipped in an older AC box.  Installed with a 45 crank and after using for several weeks I couldn’t believe the tork the motor had.  I checked on some information and come to the realization that I had installed 175 pistons.  Your pistons look very similar.  If they are 4” I would suggest that you reuse them if you find no problems with them.  Good luck.
Jtaylor View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jtaylor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2021 at 12:13pm
Originally posted by JK in Pa JK in Pa wrote:

Looking good.  Looks like you have a series 40 block.  No cracks between cylinders 2-3 and 3-4. Correct? If possible would you post the number inside the pistons.  I rebuilt my 53 serial 144087 about fifteen years ago.  I bought my rebuild kit from an AC dealer that was closing.  Was told it was a 45 kit and didn’t question it as it was shipped in an older AC box.  Installed with a 45 crank and after using for several weeks I couldn’t believe the tork the motor had.  I checked on some information and come to the realization that I had installed 175 pistons.  Your pistons look very similar.  If they are 4” I would suggest that you reuse them if you find no problems with them.  Good luck.

I have not pulled the liners out of the block yet, but I have noticed one crack between cylinder 2-3. very minor but once i have the sleeves out i will check it over and go from there. I am not sure what the difference is with a series 40 block? Once pulled apart i will check over all part numbers before getting prepped for rebuild. 
Jtaylor View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jtaylor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2021 at 7:47pm
Well, 

We started to pull the engine apart to see what is making all that extra milky oil. and the results aren't too good... Crack between cylinder 3-4. definitely sucks! the top is absolutely perfect. just this one crack that deems it no good. Thankfully i have a spare block that has no cracks on the bottom but all the common cracks on the top. 

I also checked into the piston part numbers. 230578 is the part number on these ones.

Sleeves have a lot of coolant gunk and crud built up in the coolant gallery

The rest of the engine looks okay, just a lot of milky oil! 

So, While i wait to find a decent WD45 Crankshaft, I moved onto the tractor again. lots of little parts that had to be removed to prep for sandblasting. I have about 3 weeks before the snow starts to fly here in Ontario and would like to get the major parts blasted and primed before then. 

Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2021 at 6:53am
Mr and Mrs Taylor,
 I am impressed! Your right into it! I am sure a 45 crank is out there for you somewhere!
clean up of parts? Yes I had parts all over the place as I did these refurb projects Might look like this:

Your doing great! 
Thanks for posting the updates!
 Regards,
 Chris
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2021 at 7:11am
Originally posted by Jtaylor Jtaylor wrote:

Originally posted by SteveM C/IL SteveM C/IL wrote:

I have a couple spare camshafts, But i was looking for the Crankshaft to give it some more stroke. 

Whats the Cam differences between the WD45 cam and the 175 cam? Your telling me my machine shop should be able to grind it to 175 specs from the original 45 cam? 
I mis read your statement thinking cam but you are correct on regrinding a used one.  175 has more lift but don't remember how much. Ballpark of .050? Have no idea about duration timing.
JK in Pa View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JK in Pa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2021 at 8:51am
Making good progress.  The crack between 2-3 usually isn’t anything to be concerned about. A good quality head gasket will seal properly.  The 40 series I had mentioned would be after the main casting number located on lower right side toward front. 3019-40 was the last WD series casting and had a little more “meat” between cylinders.  I have never seen a 40 block that had any cracks.  You will have to carefully check the bottom for cracks if you would use that block.  Good luck.
Jtaylor View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jtaylor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2021 at 9:39am
Originally posted by JK in Pa JK in Pa wrote:

Making good progress.  The crack between 2-3 usually isn’t anything to be concerned about. A good quality head gasket will seal properly.  The 40 series I had mentioned would be after the main casting number located on lower right side toward front. 3019-40 was the last WD series casting and had a little more “meat” between cylinders.  I have never seen a 40 block that had any cracks.  You will have to carefully check the bottom for cracks if you would use that block.  Good luck.

I will be using the spare block (original to the tractor) for the engine rebuild. the engine serial number i have here is WD331048PA
Jtaylor View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jtaylor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2021 at 9:42am
Originally posted by Sugarmaker Sugarmaker wrote:

Mr and Mrs Taylor,
 I am impressed! Your right into it! I am sure a 45 crank is out there for you somewhere!
clean up of parts? Yes I had parts all over the place as I did these refurb projects Might look like this:

Your doing great! 
Thanks for posting the updates!
 Regards,
 Chris

I appreciate the feedback! hopefully have some new-looking parts shortly. some items are cleaning up great. I am just aiming to have the main chassis prepped before it snows! 
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2021 at 7:36am
Justin,
 Always a race with mother nature. Good luck!
Keep up the good work on the WD!
 Regards,
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 30 Oct 2021 at 7:37am
ac hunter View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2021 at 8:51am
Very interesting to watch your progress. Thanks for all the pictures. Hope the weather doesn't catch up to you too soon.
Jtaylor View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jtaylor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2021 at 7:20am
Well, A continuation of cotter pin and lefty-loosie bolt removals got us a lot closer to blasting. 

the steering u-joint came out with ease. must have been a good thing being that it was covered in oil for who knows how long.. 

No broken bolts during frame rail removal, broke 2 bolts in the cast fender mounts, not the end of the world at the moment. will remove those later. 

this photo brought to you by our sponsor... ZIPLOC! 

here is how the rear of the unit looks at the moment. 

Transmission internals look okay, a little surface rust - likely from sitting for so long prior to us getting it. 

We should be good for sandblasting this weekend. I will be degreasing the transmission and frame assembly prior to that. more photos coming soon! 

Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2021 at 7:43am
Justin,
 I did a 7 bolt front plate for my wide front Allis. Looks like youre is going to need some attention too. 
Your doing great! Wow! I have been hear before and its a lot of work. Hate to say that this is the easy part, but the clean up and repairs just take a lot of time. Sandblasting some of the items will help a lot. 
Are you doing and clutch work in there? Like hand clutch?? Yep now is the time. Some need it some are ok for a long time as is.
Hang in there. Colder weather is around the corner. Heading to the shop and hoping its about 68 degrees in there on this 44 degree morning!
 Regards,
 Chris
Jtaylor View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jtaylor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2021 at 10:33am
Originally posted by Sugarmaker Sugarmaker wrote:

Justin,
 I did a 7 bolt front plate for my wide front Allis. Looks like youre is going to need some attention too. 
Your doing great! Wow! I have been hear before and its a lot of work. Hate to say that this is the easy part, but the clean up and repairs just take a lot of time. Sandblasting some of the items will help a lot. 
Are you doing and clutch work in there? Like hand clutch?? Yep now is the time. Some need it some are ok for a long time as is.
Hang in there. Colder weather is around the corner. Heading to the shop and hoping its about 68 degrees in there on this 44 degree morning!
 Regards,
 Chris

We are going to see, i dont think the hand clutch needs much work, currently it is working great and rarely wear out. I think we are just going to change fluid and run it as is. everything mechanically that way is good just the engine mainly. 

Sandblasting will give me a fresh starting point for the whole tractor. lets me start from the ground up and make sure we dont have much to address on the rebuild. 
55allis View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 55allis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2021 at 12:43pm
Still well you have it apart check how many shims are left in the hand clutch since you’d have to split the tractor to rebuild.
Jtaylor View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jtaylor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2021 at 8:36pm
Well, Another update here. 

Took Allie for a little pre-sandblasting bath. 

Then, off to the parents property to get setup for sandblasting. Under tent and all! 

And so we begin... About 1 hour into it and this is how far we've gotten. using crushed glass and about 70psi of constant pressure. Aiming to have this finished up on the next couple of days and prepped for primer on all the fresh metal asap. 

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 8>
  Share Topic