This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

A Story About "Allie", The 1953 WD

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 8>
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Jtaylor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: A Story About "Allie", The 1953 WD
    Posted: 12 Oct 2021 at 8:06pm
Let Me introduce myself. My name is Justin, A small town local to Elmvale Ontario Canada. Farming Community and home of a ton of great folks! And my Wife, Sarah. She's mentioned here but you will rarely see her reply here. 

Our journey of "Allie" Started about a week ago. I was invited to take part in a local tractor parade for our Canadian Thanksgiving. I reached out to a local farmer that is very good friends of ours and asked if he had anything since my 1949 McCormack W4 is out on a field working away with other family members. Our local farmer was happy to have us take his fully restored Allis Chalmers Two-Ten into the parade. Ecstatic, We planned for the weekend to be running a "large" restored tractor for the whole community. The Friday before the parade, we found some injector issues with the Two-Ten and did not feel comfortable running the tractor through the streets just in case something did not go as planned. 

So, My Wife and I ended up with a very nicely restored 1955 WD45 as seen pictured below. It was an absolute blast to drive and we thoroughly enjoyed the day with the WD45. Here is a couple of photos of the parade tractor we had the pleasure of driving. 

Immediately following the parade, My other half turned to me and asked if we could purchase one to restore into that condition. My answer was definitely YES! so, We continued to look online for the best candidate. Luckily, We found one about 1 hour away in another small community. Here is a couple photos of the internet Ad:

We scheduled to look at the tractor 2 days following the original parade. Drove out there with the truck and the trailer in hopes it was good enough to bring home. 

The owner of the tractor was a great fella, Father and son duo that were looking to do the same thing as us but ran out of time and space. The tractor fired up and we drove it onto the trailer to bring it home. it came with a complete spare engine with all accessories including 5 blade fan and water pump. 

We mentioned to the father/son duo we purchased the package off of we would keep them in the loop with updates. Both Sarah and I figured this would be best done on a forum site or YouTube. 

Here "Allie" is on the trailer for the ride home

And after the first round of pressure washing. 

We pondered the name for a while, Talking about different names that were fitting to the tractor for humor. We actually settled on what the previous owner called it in an email after we picked it up. here is a clip from that email:  " I would like to follow with great interest your work on Allie. Enjoy. " There we had it. A running tractor with a fitting name! 

Keep following along for a winter/spring build to prepare for tractor show season next summer. I will keep it picture heavy as possible for all interested! 
Sponsored Links

Calvin Schmidt View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Calvin Schmidt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2021 at 8:20pm
Welcome to the Forum. WD-45 are a great tractor. Have a few. Fellow Ontarioian from near Stratford.  
Nothing is impossible if it is properly financed
Eric B View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eric B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2021 at 9:53pm
Thanks for posting, we'll look forward to seeing your progress with pictures. Enjoy!
Eric.
Currently- WD,WC,3WF's,2 D14's B. Previously- I 600,TL745,200,FL9,FR12,H3,816 LBH. Earth has no sorrow that Heaven cannot heal!
AC720Man View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC720Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2021 at 9:55pm
Welcome Justin and Sarah! Lucky man to have such a sweet wife that likes tractors too. They are a lot of fun to tinker with and make a great project for the 2 of you to enjoy together. I’m sure most of us wish our wives were like Sarah lol. Got a WD that needs a lot of cosmetic repairs but until i fix some leaks she will remain as is. Just need to find time to do that. Enjoy your project, I hope you find it fun and enjoyable for you both.
1968 B-208, 1976 720 (2 of them)Danco brush hog, single bottom plow,52" snow thrower, belly mower,rear tine tiller, rear blade, front blade, 57"sickle bar,1983 917 hydro, 1968 7hp sno-bee, 1968 190XTD
Ed (Ont) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed (Ont) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2021 at 3:44pm
Hi Justin. I’m 20 min away from you in New Lowell. I have a WD45 that I have done some work to. A family piece which is nice. Give me a shout if you need some help. Do you know the year and serial number of yours. Mine is 1954 model. 😀
Jtaylor View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jtaylor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2021 at 8:04pm
Originally posted by Ed (Ont) Ed (Ont) wrote:

Hi Justin. I’m 20 min away from you in New Lowell. I have a WD45 that I have done some work to. A family piece which is nice. Give me a shout if you need some help. Do you know the year and serial number of yours. Mine is 1954 model. 😀

Awesome! Glad to see an active local! 

ours is #WD139778
Jtaylor View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jtaylor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2021 at 8:43am
Well, A small progress update. the tractor would not run unless the choke was left on and the carb was leaking some fuel. I took the carb off the tractor and prepared for an inspection and cleaning. 

here is the carb coming off the engine. pulling all linkage out and draining fuel.

It looks like we have ourselves a Marvel TSX-464 carb. I found the throttle shaft bent causing it not to see full throttle and the choke shaft has a bunch of play in it. Floats are in good shape. 

once all jets were cleaned, I put the carb back together temporarily to move the tractor under its own power until we have a nice spot to pull it apart. 

New carb kit is added to the list to repair. 

Edited by Jtaylor - 15 Oct 2021 at 9:08am
FloydKS View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FloydKS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2021 at 10:14am
sounds like you are having fun, enjoying...so keep up the good work and keep us up to date, as you said you would.   Congrats on your finding Allie.
Holding a grudge is like taking poison and expecting the other person to die
SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2021 at 2:58pm
After all these years it's hard to say what all you have there. I haven't looked up year by # but it has a WD radiator shell complete with shutters. Wide front is WD - early WD45,curved shifter is late WD or WD45. Has WD45 governor /distributor housing....Doesn't matter as long as you steer clear of "correct police".
LeonR2013 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LeonR2013 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2021 at 5:33pm
I just went through getting the right carb kit for my 45. Make sure to check the throttle shaft for size and the bore size. There is more than one kit for the 464 carb if that is what you have, so read what the specs are and then check your carb. And you sure got a better looking tractor than most of us started with. Have fun.        Leon
55allis View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 55allis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2021 at 5:43pm
Looks like a great project.
The carb looks like a WD45’s if that helps.

Them o’ll Allis’s are the best to mess with!!
SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2021 at 1:52pm
Looks like the air cleaner hose is pinched a lot smaller on air cleaner indicating WD. 45 has air cleaner pipe same size as carb.Can't see if it's got short head/tall cover or tall head/short cover.

Edited by SteveM C/IL - 16 Oct 2021 at 1:55pm
Jtaylor View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jtaylor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2021 at 2:36pm
Originally posted by SteveM C/IL SteveM C/IL wrote:

Looks like the air cleaner hose is pinched a lot smaller on air cleaner indicating WD. 45 has air cleaner pipe same size as carb.Can't see if it's got short head/tall cover or tall head/short cover.

If I am not mistaken it has a tall head and short valve cover. I also have a spare wd engine with the same setup (numbers matching engine)

Looks like it has the wd45 carb but everything else has wd all over it. I will have to pull a spark plug and measure the stroke when I get a chance this week
55allis View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 55allis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2021 at 3:08pm
And it has the 3 bolt wide front( which would be on most wds and maybe the early 45s). I’m sure that the manifold is a 45s so maybe the owner before you had a parts 45 possibly.
Jtaylor View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jtaylor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2021 at 5:53pm
Originally posted by 55allis 55allis wrote:

And it has the 3 bolt wide front( which would be on most wds and maybe the early 45s). I’m sure that the manifold is a 45s so maybe the owner before you had a parts 45 possibly.

The block does have the right block plate as all wd's should. I wonder if it does have a 45 crank in it... Time will definitely tell!
55allis View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 55allis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2021 at 8:07pm
It also has a 45 seat, the Wd ones are straight. For example look at my Wd compared to my 45 seat.
55allis View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 55allis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2021 at 8:09pm
Do you know the serial number on the rear end?
Jtaylor View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jtaylor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2021 at 8:18pm

It is listed above I think on post 4 or 5
55allis View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 55allis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2021 at 8:38pm
Originally posted by Jtaylor Jtaylor wrote:

It is listed above I think on post 4 or 5

sorry, don’t know how I missed that!!
AC720Man View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC720Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2021 at 10:19pm
55allis, what brand and size tire is that on your WD? Looks really mean and aggressive. Size of the rim?
1968 B-208, 1976 720 (2 of them)Danco brush hog, single bottom plow,52" snow thrower, belly mower,rear tine tiller, rear blade, front blade, 57"sickle bar,1983 917 hydro, 1968 7hp sno-bee, 1968 190XTD
55allis View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 55allis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2021 at 11:03pm
Originally posted by AC720Man AC720Man wrote:

55allis, what brand and size tire is that on your WD? Looks really mean and aggressive. Size of the rim?

Firestone fwd 16.9-28 on a 16 inch rim. Same size on the 45 just BFGood Rich brand.

Edited by 55allis - 16 Oct 2021 at 11:05pm
AC720Man View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC720Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2021 at 11:09pm
Thank you, man I love the look of it. My 160 has 14.9x28’s on it that need to be replaced soon. I’ve only dealt with factory rims, what are the rims off of?
AC720Man View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC720Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2021 at 11:11pm
Is that a radial or bias ply?
55allis View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 55allis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2021 at 11:14pm
I think a d17 or d19.
They are radials.
AC720Man View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC720Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2021 at 11:20pm
Thank you, I appreciate it. My 160 will be getting a fresh paint job this winter after the complete engine and clutches rebuild I just finished. Really glad you posted that picture. Hope you don’t mind me stealing your idea?

Edited by AC720Man - 16 Oct 2021 at 11:21pm
55allis View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 55allis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2021 at 11:28pm
Not at all, plus that’s what it had when I got it.
AC720Man View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC720Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2021 at 11:39pm
I’m sorry to jump your thread Justin, 55allis pic of his WD was very appealing to me. Good luck with your WD project, I will be following it with great interest.
Jtaylor View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jtaylor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2021 at 2:46pm
Well, We got the tractor into its home for the winter. I own my own business (vinyl signs and graphics) and currently is operating from the garage until we find a decently priced place to rent out. 

Here is a photo of the garage as it currently sits sort of explaining my predicament: 

So, We built one of those shelter-logic shelters. originally it was bought as a 10x10ft which with some modification and a couple extra lengths of steel, we were able to get it to 14ft long x 10 wide x 8ft tall. a new tarp at princess auto (the canadian version of Harbor Freight) and we're off to the races. 

Here is some photos of the inside of the shelter: 

And Sarah driving it to the shelter for the winter:

Now to get a couple of lights in the shelter for night time and get this pulled apart. 

Edited by Jtaylor - 17 Oct 2021 at 2:47pm
55allis View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 55allis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2021 at 2:54pm
Well if you need some help figuring out something, I can give some pictures of mine.
Jtaylor View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jtaylor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2021 at 3:11pm

Well if you need some help figuring out something, I can give some pictures of mine.

I certainly appreciate that! 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 8>
  Share Topic