This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

8070 Restoration

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Transaxial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2021 at 10:54am
Originally posted by PAFarmer PAFarmer wrote:

Looks sharp!  What kind of paint did you use on the exterior?

We have Cloverdale Paint in Canada and they have been very good at mixing a color that works for old Allis 8070, 8550 and IH 1206. The hood on my 1206 is original paint and decals and the paint on the rest of the tractor matches that very well. I could get you number codes if you can use them.
Sponsored Links

Wispitfiremike View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wispitfiremike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2021 at 9:37pm
Well done sir. Looks new!
Steve in NJ View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve in NJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2021 at 8:12am
I was going to mention the SEM paint for the knobs also. Does a good job on knobs in gerneral. I use the SEM paint to clean up the knobs on the 3 position Headlight/Charging switches I rebuild for the early Tractors. Cleans em' up nice with a little work.....
Steve@B&B
39'RC, 43'WC, 48'B, 49'G, 50'WF, 65 Big 10, 67'B-110, 75'716H, 2-620's, & a Motorhead wife
PAFarmer View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PAFarmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2021 at 10:50pm
So,  update on the 8070 restoration progress.  It's been steady progress. First step was to take those ugly duals off.  I hate they way the look,  its a matter of personal preference.  More practically, they take up way too much room in the shop.  

I've totally stripped the interior out at this point.  Man,  was the floor crispy.  Super rusted and pitted with a hole rusted thru in the back under the remote flow adjustment panel.  Here are some before shots of the interior. 

So after several hours of work and about half a dozen flap wheels on the grinder,  I got the floor and most of the interior cleaned up.  Then I put down a thick layer of Rustoleum red oxide primer.  I hate applying that stuff, but you could pave a road with it and it does produce nice results.  After the primer,  I put down a good coat of rubberized truck bed liner to try and keep the moisture away from the floor. 

Next step was to track down a paint to repaint the saddle brown.  I decided the easiest way to do this was to borrow the traction booster cover from our 8010,  which isn't faded at all, and take it to the local Car Quest.  They scanned the inside of the cover with their color matching tool.  They mixed me several spray cans of SEM acrylic enamel so today I prepped and primed the interior parts that I could remove from the cab.  I used adhesion promoter before applying to the plastic parts.  I'm really, really pleased with the way it turned out!

Tonight I took the rear glass out and took the doors off then masked the glass in the cab.  Next step is to prep and paint the interior of the cab.  The plan is to paint the non-visible stuff with POR-15 and the visible stuff with the same paint as the others.  

I've managed to amass all the decals, upholstery, headliner and floor mat.  I also took the seat to a local shop to get re-covered.   I'll post more once I've finished the interior.  Hope to have that done by no later than mid next week.  

On an exterior note,  my dad fixed up the corner of the cab that had been accidently used by the previous owner to support the roof of an old barn in a wind storm.  For what my dad had to work with,  it turned out really great.  To get it much better,  we would have ended up cutting the side of the roof off of the cab and fabricating all new and that's just not an option for this project.  I'll do some smoothing with a very thin layer of bondo and it will look really good when shiny orange again.

Edited by PAFarmer - 30 Mar 2021 at 10:57pm
plummerscarin View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote plummerscarin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2021 at 6:58am
Liking your progress. Keep up the good work
AC7060IL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC7060IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2021 at 7:08am
Congrats on your 8070 Fwd acquisition. Thanks for sharing your photos of your restoration. Its great to see the "old girl" come back to production year quality, probably better?
PAFarmer View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PAFarmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2021 at 8:31am
Thanks!  I'm going to get it as close to "factory" as reasonable for a working tractor! I wanted to pull the cab,  but time is not gonna permit that I don't think.  My biggest concern is the back of the cab behind the remote valves and things.  I think I can paint it reasonably well with a detail gun though.

Spent a solid 4 hours last night sanding the interior and that job is mostly complete.  There's still some hand work to get done in the corners and things.  Also have to hit some places with the handheld sand blaster.  

I need to pull the steering column today, get it prepped and painted.  I've been putting that off incase I needed to move the tractor out of the shop,  but it's time to bite that bullet.   

AC720Man View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC720Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2021 at 8:40pm
Good one to save, FWA 8070. You don't see any of those around in my area. Had a 8070 2 WD a mile away. I did the maintenance on it one summer. He sold it to a collector in NC after realizing it was too large of a tractor for what he needed on his farm.
1968 B-208, 1976 720 (2 of them)Danco brush hog, single bottom plow,52" snow thrower, belly mower,rear tine tiller, rear blade, front blade, 57"sickle bar,1983 917 hydro, 1968 7hp sno-bee, 1968 190XTD
PAFarmer View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PAFarmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2021 at 9:24pm
There's a lot of Allis in this area still.  I'm not aware of any other 8070 FWA, but I know of a few 8000 series FWA running around.  A couple 8030s and an 8050 that I can think of.  A good number of 2WDs also.

The 8070 will certainly be plenty big for us,  but not too big.
EPALLIS View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote EPALLIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2021 at 10:13pm
Thanks for saving another A-C.  That always makes me happy!!
dpower View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote dpower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2021 at 7:13am
To get new plastic caps for the interior pieces i go through pro-dec.com. I ordered all the brown/tan colored caps to see which one matched the best. I believe the color teak matches the best for my interior. hope that helps so you dont have to search around. When i got them through agco the color was way too dark FYI

Edited by dpower - 03 Apr 2021 at 7:15am
PAFarmer View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PAFarmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2021 at 6:26pm
Originally posted by dpower dpower wrote:

To get new plastic caps for the interior pieces i go through pro-dec.com. I ordered all the brown/tan colored caps to see which one matched the best. I believe the color teak matches the best for my interior. hope that helps so you dont have to search around. When i got them through agco the color was way too dark FYI

Thanks for the advice.  I had got the brown ones from agco and they matched perfect.  But they don't have the black ones anymore,  so I'll check that out for sure to get them!
PAFarmer View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PAFarmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2021 at 6:46pm
So it's been a few days since I've posted an update.  Progress has been slow but steady.  Trying to squeeze the 8070 restoration in between getting planters and hay equipment ready.  But we've finally got everything field ready and I spent the day putting the interior back together!  It's turning out better than I hoped.  Still waiting on a few odds and ends,  the black screw caps, the decal for around the head light and turn switch and the new fuel/temp gauge cluster.  Also waiting on some new speakers and a stereo.  Have to hand paint the silver trim on the dash also that goes around the gauges and the AC logo.  

The cables aren't hooked up in the right hand console either because it will make my life way easier to mask the outside of the cab with them removed.

The exterior has made some progress as well.  I sand blasted the wheels,  the roof and the front weights and bracket.  My dad finished the cab corner and fixed the left side hood that had a few cracks in it.

The plan is to sand and paint the orange bits this week with PPG Omni and then the hard work begins which will be painting the wheels and the black underbelly.  The back tires are filled with RV antifreeze and we're going to take them off the centers so we can paint them properly.  That's gonna be a heavy job.  

Edited by PAFarmer - 11 Apr 2021 at 6:50pm
Mikez View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Mikez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2021 at 8:59pm
wow that is looking really nice. Could you come do mine
PAFarmer View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PAFarmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2021 at 9:30pm
Thanks,  It's been a fun project.  I've been pushing to get it done in time to hook to the no-till drill for sowing beans.  Looks like I might just make it.  

lol!  I'd love to help you out,  but I think I'm booked on work for the foreseeable future. LOL 
I'm going to give our 8010 a good going over this winter, although it is in way better condition than the 8070 was.  Our 8010 has been stored indoors from the day it was new, so it just needs a head liner and some other small touch ups from a interior perspective.  I want to paint the exterior,  but we'll see if that's in the cards or not.  It's at just over 10k hours now and the 301 is starting to show some blow-by and the front main is leaking far more than I'd like.  So it'll get a full out of frame while I'm at it.  

The acquisition of the 8070 will let the 8010 retire to a hay making tractor for the most part.  It's earned it.

Edited by PAFarmer - 11 Apr 2021 at 9:30pm
AC7060IL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC7060IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2021 at 11:21am
PAfarmer, I'm enjoying your 8070's restoration pictures. You do great work! Thanks for sharing. If you haven't already, you might try taking your 8070's seat to a local upholstery shop for restoration.  Some local shops can do great restoration at a reasonable rate. For $375, Austin at AlphaOmega Taylorville, IL restored my AC 7040's seat pictured above. It received new foam, vinyl, red fabric inserts, & AC imprint. Austin fabricated a metal AC stamp to recreate the AC imprint in it's upper backrest vinyl. Here's their weblink:  http://www.alphaomegataylorville.com/gallery

Edited by AC7060IL - 13 Apr 2021 at 11:23am
PAFarmer View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PAFarmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2021 at 3:15pm
Originally posted by AC7060IL AC7060IL wrote:

PAfarmer, I'm enjoying your 8070's restoration pictures. You do great work! Thanks for sharing. If you haven't already, you might try taking your 8070's seat to a local upholstery shop for restoration.  Some local shops can do great restoration at a reasonable rate. For $375, Austin at AlphaOmega Taylorville, IL restored my AC 7040's seat pictured above. It received new foam, vinyl, red fabric inserts, & AC imprint. Austin fabricated a metal AC stamp to recreate the AC imprint in it's upper backrest vinyl. Here's their weblink:  http://www.alphaomegataylorville.com/gallery

Thanks!  Glad you're enjoying the pictures.  I'm enjoying the project for sure.

Wow!!  Your seat turned out really nice.  Forgive my ignorance, but did the 7040 have that red insert from the factory?  It's really sharp looking.

I took the seat from the 8070 to a local shop to get recovered.  I found a post on here that had a link to an Etsy shop that has fabric with a really close pattern to the original.  It'll be awhile till I see it back though as they do a lot of work on boats and this is their busy season.

We treated ourselves to a Grammer air ride setup and new seat in our 8010,  so I have the old seat out of it that I'm going to use temporarily.  I cleaned up the stock suspension from the 8070,  but I'm thinking it's going to get a air ride as well.  Spent a few hours in the 8010 the other day and it's worth it!

Edited by PAFarmer - 13 Apr 2021 at 9:17pm
Mikez View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mikez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2021 at 8:04pm
can you put pictures of air ride seat on here. Thanks
PAFarmer View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PAFarmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2021 at 9:16pm

Here you go Mike.  It's a Grammer seat and suspension.  We got if from Abilene Machine.  Not the right color, I know, but it looks ok.  We just installed it a month or so ago and I only have maybe 2 hours in it,  but so far I'm really impressed with it's comfort.   
AC7060IL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC7060IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2021 at 7:46am
PAfarmer, Can’t go wrong with an air-ride seat.
The later years (77’-81’) 70xx tractor’s Acoustic Cab II offered an optional “Luxury” seat. Yes it’s red fabric insert for “cooler in summer & warmer in winter” was original. It also contained back support, weight, & swivel adjustments.
When completed, please share photos of your restored 8070’s plaid seat.
PAFarmer View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PAFarmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2021 at 9:21am
Cool.  That's a really sharp looking seat.   

I'll be sure to post the entire project in a summary post including the seat.  

I spent a solid 5 hours last night sanding old orange paint off.  All that's left to sand are the corner posts and door jams.  Then I'll put down two coats of POR15 on the roof tonight after the sanding so it has time to dry.  We're going to shoot the base and clear orange this weekend.  Black and wheels to follow shortly. 

I can see the finish line on this one which is good as we're getting close to planting and it'll look good in front of the 15' JD 1590.

PAFarmer View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PAFarmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2021 at 5:57pm
Update time.  This week was spent prepping the tractor for paint.  Hood,  Side Hoods, Roof cover and everything else orange that I could get off the tractor was removed and prepped.  The cab is also prepped and doors removed for painting the door jams.  

Yesterday we painted the parts that I took off the tractor and man,  did it turn out nice.  I used PPG Omni which I have mixed feelings about.  The outcome was good, but the application of the base coat was a real pain in the neck.  It doesn't cover for crap!!  I read that it's a known complaint about the base and some colors are worse than others.  With all that said,  the finished product is really good looking after the clear went on.  But,  if I had it to do over,  I'd have went with PPG Deltron.    

I also finished the instrument cluster.  I'm really happy with the way it turned out.  I hand painted the silver trim and AC logo with some Chrysler "Bright Silver" touch up paint I had from a Dodge Avenger I used to own.  

Next step is to paint the cab.  Tomorrow's objective is to mask the windows, door openings and back window opening, then paint on Tuesday.  After that we'll block it up and remove the wheels so the black can be painted and also the wheels.  Hope I have enough cribbing blocks! 

Things are really coming together and I'm starting to get excited for the outcome.  If things keep up at this pace I hope to have it completely painted and reassembled by this time next week.  Just in time to hook to the grain drill.

Edited by PAFarmer - 18 Apr 2021 at 6:00pm
plummerscarin View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote plummerscarin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2021 at 6:14pm
Looking good. Can't wait to see the results
AC7060IL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC7060IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2021 at 8:03pm
Great job. The dash - Wow! Are you opting for replacement LED exterior lights?
PAFarmer View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PAFarmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2021 at 8:09pm
Thanks!  It was really fun seeing that dash come back to life.  

Yes,  the lighting is where I'll depart from original equipment.  I swapped our 6060, 7000 and 8010 all to LED and there's just no comparison.  I use Nilight brand that I get from Amazon.  They are pretty reasonably priced and really bright.  I've used them on a Jeep and some other things as well and I've had really good luck with them.  

PAFarmer View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PAFarmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2021 at 10:34am
More progress to report.  It's been transformed into a real redneck tractor.  No wheels and up on blocks.

I applied the decals to the side panels,  and I'm really happy with that way those turned out! 

Painted the all wheels and such.  We made an executive decision and went with the cream color like the older 7000 series and such.  Never really thought the white was an improvement.  

Also primed and painted the cab orange.  

The final step is to paint the frame.  Just have to wait a few days for the cab to cure and then I can cover it,  wash it up and then prime and paint.  I'm a little over a week behind schedule,  but we're getting there!

IBWD MIke View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2021 at 1:02pm
Looks great!
AC7060IL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC7060IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2021 at 3:17pm
Looking great, especially your painted wheels. I also agree about the cream paint versus white paint on the wheel rims, What do use to wipe overspray from tires or do you tape/cover tire with paper? I’ve had good results using paint thinner on an old rag(inside out tube socks) to clean/wipe tire of any paint overspray immediately following paint shoot so paint doesn’t dry on tire.

Edited by AC7060IL - 26 Apr 2021 at 3:19pm
PAFarmer View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote PAFarmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2021 at 7:16am
I use tape and newspaper,  which takes forever.  The rears take twice as long!  I've tried the wipe off method, and it seems like no matter how hard I try I always end up getting fuzz in the paint or something like that.  So I bite the bullet and tape everything.

GeneD14 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GeneD14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2021 at 9:04am
I really like the look of the new paint.
Nice job!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic