Forum Description: everything about Allis-Chalmers farm equipment
URL: https://www.allischalmers.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=179118
Printed Date: 28 Apr 2024 at 5:10am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.10 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: 8070 Restoration
Posted By: PAFarmer
Subject: 8070 Restoration
Date Posted: 17 Mar 2021 at 1:57pm
So,  I think I'm going to pull the trigger on a low hour 8070 that needs a full restoration and I'm putting together a list everything I'll need.  Does anyone know where I could source basically every knob on the right hand console,  throttle and all?

The range shifter knob is missing and the remainder are faded really bad.  Alternately,  does anyone know of a way to get the color back in the knobs?

Also,  anyone have a 8000 series temp and fuel gauge in good shape they want to part with?

Thanks!!  

Replies:
Posted By: Sugarmaker
Date Posted: 17 Mar 2021 at 2:32pm
You might try automotive paint thinner on the knobs. try a spot first. I cant say this will work but it can bring back some vinyl to shine??????
 Regards,
 Chris

-------------
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.

Posted By: DougG
Date Posted: 17 Mar 2021 at 3:17pm
Mc Master Carr has alot of knobs, latches and stuff like that

Posted By: Daehler
Date Posted: 17 Mar 2021 at 5:39pm
Agco still has the shifter knob available or did a couple years ago. That's where I got mine.
Someone posted a short time ago that new water temp and fuel gauges like originals can be bought off of ebay.

-------------
8070FWA,7080 BlackBelly, 7045,2 200s,D19,D17,G, WD,45,UC,7 AC mowers and lots more!
"IT TAKES 3 JD's TO OUT DO AN ALLIS, 2 TO MATCH IT IN THE FIELD AND 1 FOR PARTS!"

Date Posted: 17 Mar 2021 at 6:20pm
I did some digging in the Agco Parts book.  Found the following part numbers:

Throttle Knob - 70263940
Shifter Knob - 70273176
Shifter Gate - 70273439
Hydraulic Knob - 70263937
PTO Knob - 70264538
Door Knob - 70263937

The yellow PTO knob is discontinued, but I'll see if I can track one down.  McMaster has phenolic resin knobs that are very close to the shifter knobs.  The main difference being they are threaded,  but I'm sure they could be made to work.

There are some water/fuel gauges on eBay.  Will get a new one for our 6060 as well because the original is getting all rusty.    

Really grateful for everyone's input!  Thank you.  

Posted By: 8070nc
Date Posted: 17 Mar 2021 at 6:51pm
I sprayed my shifter knobs with SEM interior paint

-------------
1984 80780
1957 D14
DES 300 with 25000 engine
616 tractor

Date Posted: 17 Mar 2021 at 7:00pm
Did you also paint the throttle knobs and such with the SEM? 

Date Posted: 17 Mar 2021 at 8:30pm
I dont remember but I dont see any reason why it would not work. Be worth a shot

-------------
1984 80780
1957 D14
616 tractor

Date Posted: 18 Mar 2021 at 9:44am
So,  basically the only things available from Agco are the shifter knobs and the shift gate.  This 8070 has no wear on the shift gate,  but I want to replace the one on our 8010.  It's wore pretty bad.  

Guess I'll be trying to dye or paint the other knobs.  

Date Posted: 22 Mar 2021 at 9:26am
Been digging around and can't seem to find it,  does anyone have the paint code for the tan paint of the 8000 series interior? 

Date Posted: 22 Mar 2021 at 10:41am
I know this is not "paint" but I sprayed mine with SEM Camel. I tried saddle tan. Too gray. Palamino. Too yellow. If you will call me I will send you some pictures. 910 824 8856

-------------
1984 80780
1957 D14
616 tractor

Date Posted: 22 Mar 2021 at 7:47pm
Agco has put the saddle tan on permanent back order. I found a krlon color that is a almost perfect match. I'll have to dig through all my stuff from redoing the R50 to find the paint cans. Probably will have a shop day tomorrow so I can get some things organized and found. I've redone a couple 8000 cabs so if you need some help you can call my cell 660 232 4293

-------------
8070FWA,7080 BlackBelly, 7045,2 200s,D19,D17,G, WD,45,UC,7 AC mowers and lots more!
"IT TAKES 3 JD's TO OUT DO AN ALLIS, 2 TO MATCH IT IN THE FIELD AND 1 FOR PARTS!"

Date Posted: 22 Mar 2021 at 8:16pm
Thanks to both of you for the offers for assistance.  I'll be sure to keep them handy incase I get in over my head.  That Krylon color would be ideal.  Right now I'm in the process of amassing the required materials for interior and exterior.  I got the upholstery, floor liner and head liner.  I've also got all the decals.  Still trying to make up my mind on the exterior paint.  I also got some fabric of Etsy,  I found the link on here, to have the factory "luxury"  seat recovered.  It's very close to the original pattern.  Still some stuff to get,  but I'm getting close.  Hope to have the restore done in time to run forage harvester on second crop in June.

Date Posted: 22 Mar 2021 at 8:30pm
I went poking around on the Krylon website and found K05356207 which is called "Equestrian".  It looks really close.  I'll see if my local hardware store can get me a can to try and see if it's close.   

Date Posted: 23 Mar 2021 at 7:46pm
Well,  it's officially done.  I own the 8070 and I'm going to get it home tomorrow.  Here's a photo.  Will start on the resto this weekend.  

Posted By: Leon B MO
Date Posted: 23 Mar 2021 at 8:57pm
Personally, I can't wait to see how this poor ol gal looks when your done. I have done 2 of our 8050 cab interiors but not in the factory sense.
Leon B MO

-------------
Uncle always said "Fill the back of the shovel and the front will take care of itself".

Date Posted: 23 Mar 2021 at 9:03pm
Originally posted by Leon B MO Leon B MO wrote:

Personally, I can't wait to see how this poor ol gal looks when your done. I have done 2 of our 8050 cab interiors but not in the factory sense.
Leon B MO

Thanks, Leon.  I'll be sure to post pictures along the way.  With my family working on it with me,  I hope to have it field ready for second crop hay in June.  But,  as they say the best laid plans of mice and men.  It'll be a good addition to our fleet of AC iron and will help keep the hours down on our 8010 which can officially retire to a hay making tractor now! 

Posted By: AC720Man
Date Posted: 23 Mar 2021 at 9:05pm
Congratulations on a 8070FWA!!! A little confused so please correct me. You said a full restoration, do you mean cab? Tractor is good to go? That would be great if its just a cab restoration.

-------------
1968 B-208, 1976 720 (2 of them)Danco brush hog, single bottom plow,52" snow thrower, belly mower,rear tine tiller, rear blade, front blade, 57"sickle bar,1983 917 hydro, 1968 7hp sno-bee, 1968 190XTD

Date Posted: 23 Mar 2021 at 9:19pm
Originally posted by AC720Man AC720Man wrote:

Congratulations on a 8070FWA!!! A little confused so please correct me. You said a full restoration, do you mean cab? Tractor is good to go? That would be great if its just a cab restoration.

Thanks!  I'm excited to get her back to her former glory and back in the field.  Back when I said "full restoration" I was thinking I was dealing with a 13,000+ hour tractor and I was planning on a full overhaul of the engine as well as a full cosmetic restoration.  As I looked into the tractor a bit more,  I realized it was just under 3400 hours.  So my current plans are to fix the cab where it is damaged,  then do a full cosmetic restore on the cab interior and the tractor exterior.  

Also going to install the 540/1000 PTO while I have all the fluids drained.  

Posted By: xbk9576
Date Posted: 24 Mar 2021 at 10:21am
gauge you still can get from agoc 70277453v $173.00

Date Posted: 24 Mar 2021 at 10:30am
One thing I can't seem to track down is the decal that goes around the hydraulic, throttle, PTO, etc.  Other than finding one laying around NOS at a dealer, would anyone know where I could source one?

Date Posted: 24 Mar 2021 at 12:22pm
Originally posted by PAFarmer PAFarmer wrote:

One thing I can't seem to track down is the decal that goes around the hydraulic, throttle, PTO, etc.  Other than finding one laying around NOS at a dealer, would anyone know where I could source one?

I have decal shop that does excellent work. I'm going to have a complete set of decals for 8000s made up this spring. I'll get pictures of the speed charts they've done for me.

-------------

Posted By: Transaxial
Date Posted: 24 Mar 2021 at 3:45pm

I did what Daehler did and it works out very well. If you get a good straight on picture of what you want in a decal a decal shop can make new ones almost as good as OEM. If you get a good side to side and up/down measurement of the actual decal you want made, they can scale it to proper size

Date Posted: 24 Mar 2021 at 3:50pm

Well,  it's officially done.  I own the 8070 and I'm going to get it home tomorrow.  Here's a photo.  Will start on the resto this weekend.  

Congrats on the 8070! They are cool tractors. How did you get your picture to post? It tells me my file size is too big to load.

Posted By: steve(ill)
Date Posted: 24 Mar 2021 at 4:31pm
Barry, down load your photo to your computer. Open with PAINT or similar program. Scale it to 800 x 600 pixels ( or about). then save it to your desktop.... Then go to this site and download it..

Most new cameras are taking photos that are 5000 pixels wide and several MegaBites  in size... This site wants a 800 pixel photo with  100 KB size. ( approx).

If your doing everything on a cell phone, then see if you can change the size of pictures it takes ( before you take it, not after)... Most cameras have 5-6 different SIZEs that you can use.. dont know if cell phone can do that or not... Smaller size  = more photos per disc.

-------------
Like them all, but love the "B"s.

Posted By: xbk9576
Date Posted: 25 Mar 2021 at 7:38am
70264914 prior sn 1711 $41.78
70270999 eff sn1711 discontinued
70264915 eff sn1711 $52.95 all from AGCO 

Date Posted: 25 Mar 2021 at 8:07am
So I found the 70270999 and 70264914 NOS at an AGCO dealer.  So that's the last of my decal needs!  I got the speed/shift instructions decals from member Gary(WI) on here and they are excellent.  While I was at it,  I had him make me one for our 8010 as well.  

The final things on my list are trying out a couple different paint options for the tan color on the interior and then deciding what paint to use for the exterior.  I've been told to use Durathane from PPG.  Does anyone have any suggestions?

Date Posted: 25 Mar 2021 at 8:09am
Originally posted by Transaxial Transaxial wrote:

Congrats on the 8070! They are cool tractors. How did you get your picture to post? It tells me my file size is too big to load.

Thanks!  

Regarding the photo,  I used the "Photos" program in Windows 10.  There is a resize option in there that lets you downscale.  I just selected the smallest size.

Date Posted: 25 Mar 2021 at 2:42pm
Originally posted by steve(ill) steve(ill) wrote:

Barry, down load your photo to your computer. Open with PAINT or similar program. Scale it to 800 x 600 pixels ( or about). then save it to your desktop.... Then go to this site and download it..

Most new cameras are taking photos that are 5000 pixels wide and several MegaBites  in size... This site wants a 800 pixel photo with  100 KB size. ( approx).

If your doing everything on a cell phone, then see if you can change the size of pictures it takes ( before you take it, not after)... Most cameras have 5-6 different SIZEs that you can use.. dont know if cell phone can do that or not... Smaller size  = more photos per disc.

Thanks Steve. I will try posting my restored 8070 just for fun. This computer stuff is about as clear as mud! Sorry, can't get it sized right.[

Date Posted: 26 Mar 2021 at 10:15am
Looks sharp!  What kind of paint did you use on the exterior?

Date Posted: 26 Mar 2021 at 10:54am

Looks sharp!  What kind of paint did you use on the exterior?

We have Cloverdale Paint in Canada and they have been very good at mixing a color that works for old Allis 8070, 8550 and IH 1206. The hood on my 1206 is original paint and decals and the paint on the rest of the tractor matches that very well. I could get you number codes if you can use them.

Posted By: Wispitfiremike
Date Posted: 26 Mar 2021 at 9:37pm
Well done sir. Looks new!

Posted By: Steve in NJ
Date Posted: 28 Mar 2021 at 8:12am
I was going to mention the SEM paint for the knobs also. Does a good job on knobs in gerneral. I use the SEM paint to clean up the knobs on the 3 position Headlight/Charging switches I rebuild for the early Tractors. Cleans em' up nice with a little work.....
Steve@B&B

-------------
39'RC, 43'WC, 48'B, 49'G, 50'WF, 65 Big 10, 67'B-110, 75'716H, 2-620's, & a Motorhead wife

Date Posted: 30 Mar 2021 at 10:50pm
So,  update on the 8070 restoration progress.  It's been steady progress. First step was to take those ugly duals off.  I hate they way the look,  its a matter of personal preference.  More practically, they take up way too much room in the shop.  

I've totally stripped the interior out at this point.  Man,  was the floor crispy.  Super rusted and pitted with a hole rusted thru in the back under the remote flow adjustment panel.  Here are some before shots of the interior. 

So after several hours of work and about half a dozen flap wheels on the grinder,  I got the floor and most of the interior cleaned up.  Then I put down a thick layer of Rustoleum red oxide primer.  I hate applying that stuff, but you could pave a road with it and it does produce nice results.  After the primer,  I put down a good coat of rubberized truck bed liner to try and keep the moisture away from the floor. 

Next step was to track down a paint to repaint the saddle brown.  I decided the easiest way to do this was to borrow the traction booster cover from our 8010,  which isn't faded at all, and take it to the local Car Quest.  They scanned the inside of the cover with their color matching tool.  They mixed me several spray cans of SEM acrylic enamel so today I prepped and primed the interior parts that I could remove from the cab.  I used adhesion promoter before applying to the plastic parts.  I'm really, really pleased with the way it turned out!

Tonight I took the rear glass out and took the doors off then masked the glass in the cab.  Next step is to prep and paint the interior of the cab.  The plan is to paint the non-visible stuff with POR-15 and the visible stuff with the same paint as the others.  

I've managed to amass all the decals, upholstery, headliner and floor mat.  I also took the seat to a local shop to get re-covered.   I'll post more once I've finished the interior.  Hope to have that done by no later than mid next week.  

On an exterior note,  my dad fixed up the corner of the cab that had been accidently used by the previous owner to support the roof of an old barn in a wind storm.  For what my dad had to work with,  it turned out really great.  To get it much better,  we would have ended up cutting the side of the roof off of the cab and fabricating all new and that's just not an option for this project.  I'll do some smoothing with a very thin layer of bondo and it will look really good when shiny orange again.

Posted By: plummerscarin
Date Posted: 31 Mar 2021 at 6:58am
Liking your progress. Keep up the good work

Posted By: AC7060IL
Date Posted: 01 Apr 2021 at 7:08am
Congrats on your 8070 Fwd acquisition. Thanks for sharing your photos of your restoration. Its great to see the "old girl" come back to production year quality, probably better?

Date Posted: 01 Apr 2021 at 8:31am
Thanks!  I'm going to get it as close to "factory" as reasonable for a working tractor! I wanted to pull the cab,  but time is not gonna permit that I don't think.  My biggest concern is the back of the cab behind the remote valves and things.  I think I can paint it reasonably well with a detail gun though.

Spent a solid 4 hours last night sanding the interior and that job is mostly complete.  There's still some hand work to get done in the corners and things.  Also have to hit some places with the handheld sand blaster.  

I need to pull the steering column today, get it prepped and painted.  I've been putting that off incase I needed to move the tractor out of the shop,  but it's time to bite that bullet.   

Posted By: AC720Man
Date Posted: 02 Apr 2021 at 8:40pm
Good one to save, FWA 8070. You don't see any of those around in my area. Had a 8070 2 WD a mile away. I did the maintenance on it one summer. He sold it to a collector in NC after realizing it was too large of a tractor for what he needed on his farm.

-------------
1968 B-208, 1976 720 (2 of them)Danco brush hog, single bottom plow,52" snow thrower, belly mower,rear tine tiller, rear blade, front blade, 57"sickle bar,1983 917 hydro, 1968 7hp sno-bee, 1968 190XTD

Date Posted: 02 Apr 2021 at 9:24pm
There's a lot of Allis in this area still.  I'm not aware of any other 8070 FWA, but I know of a few 8000 series FWA running around.  A couple 8030s and an 8050 that I can think of.  A good number of 2WDs also.

The 8070 will certainly be plenty big for us,  but not too big.

Posted By: EPALLIS
Date Posted: 02 Apr 2021 at 10:13pm
Thanks for saving another A-C.  That always makes me happy!!

Posted By: dpower
Date Posted: 03 Apr 2021 at 7:13am
To get new plastic caps for the interior pieces i go through pro-dec.com. I ordered all the brown/tan colored caps to see which one matched the best. I believe the color teak matches the best for my interior. hope that helps so you dont have to search around. When i got them through agco the color was way too dark FYI

Date Posted: 11 Apr 2021 at 6:26pm
Originally posted by dpower dpower wrote:

To get new plastic caps for the interior pieces i go through pro-dec.com. I ordered all the brown/tan colored caps to see which one matched the best. I believe the color teak matches the best for my interior. hope that helps so you dont have to search around. When i got them through agco the color was way too dark FYI

Thanks for the advice.  I had got the brown ones from agco and they matched perfect.  But they don't have the black ones anymore,  so I'll check that out for sure to get them!

Date Posted: 11 Apr 2021 at 6:46pm
So it's been a few days since I've posted an update.  Progress has been slow but steady.  Trying to squeeze the 8070 restoration in between getting planters and hay equipment ready.  But we've finally got everything field ready and I spent the day putting the interior back together!  It's turning out better than I hoped.  Still waiting on a few odds and ends,  the black screw caps, the decal for around the head light and turn switch and the new fuel/temp gauge cluster.  Also waiting on some new speakers and a stereo.  Have to hand paint the silver trim on the dash also that goes around the gauges and the AC logo.  

The cables aren't hooked up in the right hand console either because it will make my life way easier to mask the outside of the cab with them removed.

The exterior has made some progress as well.  I sand blasted the wheels,  the roof and the front weights and bracket.  My dad finished the cab corner and fixed the left side hood that had a few cracks in it.

The plan is to sand and paint the orange bits this week with PPG Omni and then the hard work begins which will be painting the wheels and the black underbelly.  The back tires are filled with RV antifreeze and we're going to take them off the centers so we can paint them properly.  That's gonna be a heavy job.  

Posted By: Mikez
Date Posted: 11 Apr 2021 at 8:59pm
wow that is looking really nice. Could you come do mine

Date Posted: 11 Apr 2021 at 9:30pm
Thanks,  It's been a fun project.  I've been pushing to get it done in time to hook to the no-till drill for sowing beans.  Looks like I might just make it.  

lol!  I'd love to help you out,  but I think I'm booked on work for the foreseeable future. LOL 
I'm going to give our 8010 a good going over this winter, although it is in way better condition than the 8070 was.  Our 8010 has been stored indoors from the day it was new, so it just needs a head liner and some other small touch ups from a interior perspective.  I want to paint the exterior,  but we'll see if that's in the cards or not.  It's at just over 10k hours now and the 301 is starting to show some blow-by and the front main is leaking far more than I'd like.  So it'll get a full out of frame while I'm at it.  

The acquisition of the 8070 will let the 8010 retire to a hay making tractor for the most part.  It's earned it.

Date Posted: 13 Apr 2021 at 11:21am
PAfarmer, I'm enjoying your 8070's restoration pictures. You do great work! Thanks for sharing. If you haven't already, you might try taking your 8070's seat to a local upholstery shop for restoration.  Some local shops can do great restoration at a reasonable rate. For $375, Austin at AlphaOmega Taylorville, IL restored my AC 7040's seat pictured above. It received new foam, vinyl, red fabric inserts, & AC imprint. Austin fabricated a metal AC stamp to recreate the AC imprint in it's upper backrest vinyl. Here's their weblink:   http://www.alphaomegataylorville.com/gallery" rel="nofollow - http://www.alphaomegataylorville.com/gallery

Date Posted: 13 Apr 2021 at 3:15pm
Originally posted by AC7060IL AC7060IL wrote:

PAfarmer, I'm enjoying your 8070's restoration pictures. You do great work! Thanks for sharing. If you haven't already, you might try taking your 8070's seat to a local upholstery shop for restoration.  Some local shops can do great restoration at a reasonable rate. For $375, Austin at AlphaOmega Taylorville, IL restored my AC 7040's seat pictured above. It received new foam, vinyl, red fabric inserts, & AC imprint. Austin fabricated a metal AC stamp to recreate the AC imprint in it's upper backrest vinyl. Here's their weblink:   http://www.alphaomegataylorville.com/gallery" rel="nofollow - http://www.alphaomegataylorville.com/gallery

Thanks!  Glad you're enjoying the pictures.  I'm enjoying the project for sure.

Wow!!  Your seat turned out really nice.  Forgive my ignorance, but did the 7040 have that red insert from the factory?  It's really sharp looking.

I took the seat from the 8070 to a local shop to get recovered.  I found a post on here that had a link to an Etsy shop that has fabric with a really close pattern to the original.  It'll be awhile till I see it back though as they do a lot of work on boats and this is their busy season.

We treated ourselves to a Grammer air ride setup and new seat in our 8010,  so I have the old seat out of it that I'm going to use temporarily.  I cleaned up the stock suspension from the 8070,  but I'm thinking it's going to get a air ride as well.  Spent a few hours in the 8010 the other day and it's worth it!

Date Posted: 13 Apr 2021 at 8:04pm
can you put pictures of air ride seat on here. Thanks

Date Posted: 13 Apr 2021 at 9:16pm

Here you go Mike.  It's a Grammer seat and suspension.  We got if from Abilene Machine.  Not the right color, I know, but it looks ok.  We just installed it a month or so ago and I only have maybe 2 hours in it,  but so far I'm really impressed with it's comfort.   

Date Posted: 15 Apr 2021 at 7:46am
PAfarmer, Can’t go wrong with an air-ride seat.
The later years (77’-81’) 70xx tractor’s Acoustic Cab II offered an optional “Luxury” seat. Yes it’s red fabric insert for “cooler in summer & warmer in winter” was original. It also contained back support, weight, & swivel adjustments.
When completed, please share photos of your restored 8070’s plaid seat.

Date Posted: 15 Apr 2021 at 9:21am
Cool.  That's a really sharp looking seat.   

I'll be sure to post the entire project in a summary post including the seat.  

I spent a solid 5 hours last night sanding old orange paint off.  All that's left to sand are the corner posts and door jams.  Then I'll put down two coats of POR15 on the roof tonight after the sanding so it has time to dry.  We're going to shoot the base and clear orange this weekend.  Black and wheels to follow shortly. 

I can see the finish line on this one which is good as we're getting close to planting and it'll look good in front of the 15' JD 1590.

Date Posted: 18 Apr 2021 at 5:57pm
Update time.  This week was spent prepping the tractor for paint.  Hood,  Side Hoods, Roof cover and everything else orange that I could get off the tractor was removed and prepped.  The cab is also prepped and doors removed for painting the door jams.  

Yesterday we painted the parts that I took off the tractor and man,  did it turn out nice.  I used PPG Omni which I have mixed feelings about.  The outcome was good, but the application of the base coat was a real pain in the neck.  It doesn't cover for crap!!  I read that it's a known complaint about the base and some colors are worse than others.  With all that said,  the finished product is really good looking after the clear went on.  But,  if I had it to do over,  I'd have went with PPG Deltron.    

I also finished the instrument cluster.  I'm really happy with the way it turned out.  I hand painted the silver trim and AC logo with some Chrysler "Bright Silver" touch up paint I had from a Dodge Avenger I used to own.  

Next step is to paint the cab.  Tomorrow's objective is to mask the windows, door openings and back window opening, then paint on Tuesday.  After that we'll block it up and remove the wheels so the black can be painted and also the wheels.  Hope I have enough cribbing blocks! 

Things are really coming together and I'm starting to get excited for the outcome.  If things keep up at this pace I hope to have it completely painted and reassembled by this time next week.  Just in time to hook to the grain drill.

Posted By: plummerscarin
Date Posted: 18 Apr 2021 at 6:14pm
Looking good. Can't wait to see the results

Date Posted: 19 Apr 2021 at 8:03pm
Great job. The dash - Wow! Are you opting for replacement LED exterior lights?

Date Posted: 19 Apr 2021 at 8:09pm
Thanks!  It was really fun seeing that dash come back to life.  

Yes,  the lighting is where I'll depart from original equipment.  I swapped our 6060, 7000 and 8010 all to LED and there's just no comparison.  I use Nilight brand that I get from Amazon.  They are pretty reasonably priced and really bright.  I've used them on a Jeep and some other things as well and I've had really good luck with them.  

Date Posted: 26 Apr 2021 at 10:34am
More progress to report.  It's been transformed into a real redneck tractor.  No wheels and up on blocks.

I applied the decals to the side panels,  and I'm really happy with that way those turned out! 

Painted the all wheels and such.  We made an executive decision and went with the cream color like the older 7000 series and such.  Never really thought the white was an improvement.  

Also primed and painted the cab orange.  

The final step is to paint the frame.  Just have to wait a few days for the cab to cure and then I can cover it,  wash it up and then prime and paint.  I'm a little over a week behind schedule,  but we're getting there!

Posted By: IBWD MIke
Date Posted: 26 Apr 2021 at 1:02pm
Looks great!

Date Posted: 26 Apr 2021 at 3:17pm
Looking great, especially your painted wheels. I also agree about the cream paint versus white paint on the wheel rims, What do use to wipe overspray from tires or do you tape/cover tire with paper? I’ve had good results using paint thinner on an old rag(inside out tube socks) to clean/wipe tire of any paint overspray immediately following paint shoot so paint doesn’t dry on tire.

Date Posted: 27 Apr 2021 at 7:16am
I use tape and newspaper,  which takes forever.  The rears take twice as long!  I've tried the wipe off method, and it seems like no matter how hard I try I always end up getting fuzz in the paint or something like that.  So I bite the bullet and tape everything.

Posted By: GeneD14
Date Posted: 27 Apr 2021 at 9:04am
I really like the look of the new paint.
Nice job!

Date Posted: 29 Apr 2021 at 10:48am
Does anyone know where I could source the door pull straps for the 8000 series?  Agco has discontinued them and tractor house doesn't show any listings.  I've checked a few dealers for NOS and no luck.  

I need both sides.

Thanks!

Date Posted: 29 Apr 2021 at 12:59pm
Yea iv looked also. I seem to visualize cars having similar pull handles. Anyone know what model cars, can see if there’s any out there that way

Posted By: SteveM C/IL
Date Posted: 30 Apr 2021 at 8:29am
Very similar to my 1988 Buick Lasabre....never actually compared them....so like 86-92? GM cars?

Posted By: BKarpel
Date Posted: 03 May 2021 at 11:32am
Been following your 8070 project. What did you use to repair your hood side panels? Have any suggestions on paint prep for the side panels and grill? My panels have a few cracks and corners rounded off. I am putting a D21 puller together with 8070 sheet metal. What do you suggest for paint and primer? Want to get away from van sickle pant and get something durable. Sounds like you have experience.

Date Posted: 03 May 2021 at 12:38pm
Originally posted by BKarpel BKarpel wrote:

Been following your 8070 project. What did you use to repair your hood side panels? Have any suggestions on paint prep for the side panels and grill? My panels have a few cracks and corners rounded off. I am putting a D21 puller together with 8070 sheet metal. What do you suggest for paint and primer? Want to get away from van sickle pant and get something durable. Sounds like you have experience.

For the side panel repair,  we use Bondo fiberglass repair with the mat and resin.  Then we cover that with a thin layer of putty.  We've used it on several tractors in the past with good results,  it's held up well to field use on our 8010 and 6060 which had the same problems you were describing.

Regarding the prep,  we sand down the old paint nearly all the way off with an air DA sander.  I posted a picture of the panel ready for paint back on 4/11.  It's the same for the fiberglass grille ring,  but that tends to require some hand sanding cause of the nooks.  What grit sandpaper to finish with will depend on what primer your end up using.  It will say on the primer tech sheet.  

As for paint,  we've tried several over the years.  My grandad painted our 8010 with Agco brand paint.  I don't know who makes it,  but it's just a single stage enamel.  
They look good at first and then fade really quick.  It's also just not very durable at all.  

We used a Nason two stage base/clear on our 7000 as our local car quest had a paint code for Persian Orange II.  It shot on OK and seems to be holding up, but I couldn't get a cross to Corp. Orange in Nason for the 8070.  

I can tell you that for the 8070 I used PPG Omni line for the orange parts and the cream of the rims and wheel centers.  For the etch layer I used the Omni MP170 Epoxy primer covered with MP282 high build for the Surfacer layer.  Then Omni MBC for the base coat and Omni Quick Clear for the clear.  Talk to the folks at your local PPG dealer as they'll tell you exactly what to use as far as hardeners and things are concerned as it matters based on temperature and things.  For the black frame I used PPG Drathane which is supposedly a really tough paint.  For the silver rear wheels,  I used Rustoleum aluminum colored paint thinned with acetone and spayed on.  Then hit it with a layer of Rustoleum clear.  Couldn't bring myself to spend the money on the Omni for them.  

I will say this about the Omni system,  I'm told it's durable but I do have to say I did not care for how the base covered.  While the finished product is nice,  it seemed to take a lot of paint.  If I had it to do over,  I'd have used the PPG Deltron line.  That would have been a small challenge as the PPG codes for the Corp. Orange don't cross into the Deltron line,  so it would require doing a spray card of the Omni or the Agco paint and then taking it to a PPG dealer so they could use the spectrophotometer to cross it into Deltron.  I'm told the Deltron is just a much nicer system to use,  but I can't speak to this myself.

With all that in mind,  I am amateur at all this body work stuff.  I've painted several cars and a few tractors with my Dad's help.  He did body work professionally for a decade.  But the paints and technologies have changed a lot so he's not up on all the new stuff.  So be sure to ask the pros at the PPG dealer what to use for sure! 

Date Posted: 04 May 2021 at 7:30am
It's been a productive week!  The 8070 is starting to look like a tractor again and the todo list is approaching manageable levels.  It's a rainy day here today and I should be able to make a good effort at getting the tractor done.  

Paint is finished.  All that remains is reassembly, wiring for more lights, GPS and Auto Steer.  Change the oil in the transmission and rear end also.  I am planning to swap the tractor over to the dual 540/1000 PTO but I think that's going to wait until planting is done.  We'll see how much progress I make today.  

Here's some pictures of the finished paint!

I am really pleased with how things are coming together.  I'm happy I went with the cream color on the front wheels and the rear centers!

Engine oil and all the filters on the tractor have been changed.  Changed the oil in the front end completely.  Unless some really unforeseen pops up,  it'll be field ready by the weekend for sure!  My dad and I are both working on putting it back together so things are moving fast.  

With any luck,  my next update will be the finished product!

Date Posted: 04 May 2021 at 7:51am
One thing I forgot to ask.  I had the parts lined up for the PTO swap for the 8070 but the salvage yard I was dealing with called and told me they thought they had everything but when the looked it over they didn't have everything.  

Does anyone here have a recommendation for a good salvage parts place for Allis that I could source the parts from?

Thanks!! 

Posted By: IBWD MIke
Date Posted: 04 May 2021 at 8:25am
You could try Colfax tractor parts in Colfax Ia. 515-674-3001 Good chance they have it, shipping costs???

Tractor is looking great!

Date Posted: 04 May 2021 at 9:42am
Originally posted by IBWD MIke IBWD MIke wrote:

You could try Colfax tractor parts in Colfax Ia. 515-674-3001 Good chance they have it, shipping costs???

Tractor is looking great!

Thanks,  it's coming together!  Thanks for the recommendation.  I'll reach out to them today.

Date Posted: 21 May 2021 at 6:31am
Final update time.  We've been busy with planting and I haven't had time to post.  

The 8070 is back together and I've done a fair amount planting with it and the 15 foot drill.  Things seem fine other than the 2 up to 3 and 4 down to 3 shift is sluggish under load in high range.  It takes a few seconds to get into gear.  Especially the 4 to 3 down shift.  That's something I'll have to dig into cause it's a real pain in the neck on the road.

I'm really happy with how it turned out!  It's a really nice tractor to run.  It's more than enough tractor for the 15 foot drill but doesn't seem oversized.  In our hills,  the power and 4WD is nice.  Our other 4WDs are usually busy on the corn planter and other planting related tasks so the drill ended up on the 2WD 8010 and it was a real handful for it full of beans on the hills.  

I'll put together a post will all the paint codes and different things once we wrap up planting.   

The 8070 and 8010 hanging out.  

Date Posted: 22 May 2021 at 9:16pm
vary nice

Posted By: soggybottomboy
Date Posted: 23 May 2021 at 8:13am
I have never heard of sem paint. What is it? 

Posted By: Ron(AB)
Date Posted: 23 May 2021 at 12:23pm
semi gloss

-------------
405, 7000, 7050, 8050, 8070, L3, 2300 & 2600 disk

Posted By: structures
Date Posted: 23 May 2021 at 12:26pm
Nice job PAFarmer!!

Hey Soggy SEM paint is a paint brand all I can say.  I've used it for painting interior plastics and they carry a line of rattle can OEM matching colors.  It seems to be flexible as I understand certain SEM paints are made to be used on car seats and vinyl interior.

-------------
Robert
http://www.allischalmers.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=82702&KW=structures&title=structures-1964-allis-d15-series-ii" rel="nofollow - 1964 D15 Series II

Posted By: soggybottomboy
Date Posted: 23 May 2021 at 4:46pm
Thanks for the clarification guys. PA farmer,your 8070 looks very nice. Hard to believe these tractors are almost 40 years old.

Date Posted: 28 Sep 2021 at 7:39am
Hi Soggybottom,

Sorry for not replying sooner!  It's been a busy year.  

SEM is indeed a brand of paint.  I used their ColorMatch system for the interior because I was able to take some interior parts from our 8010 that isn't faded to our local SEM dealer and they matched the color for me.  

I also used their ColorCoat product and related adhesion promoters to re-paint the black trim pieces and the various knobs and things on the interior.  I've used SEM products on some car interiors that I've redone in the past and was pretty please.  I'm happy with the way it turned out on the 8070 as well.

Posted By: SilverShoes
Date Posted: 10 Dec 2023 at 4:27pm
This restoration was so amazing that all I can really say is wow just wow

Posted By: 55allis
Date Posted: 12 Dec 2023 at 11:27pm
That’s a really good job!!!

-------------
1955 AC WD45 diesel with D262 repower, 1949 AC WD45

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.10 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2017 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net