This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

8070 motor fail

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bhuffaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2021 at 8:09pm
After much thought and looking into many options I have decided the best decision for me is to go with the 7050 motor.  I feel confident that it was being represented correctly and should go right in with out any problems.

If any of you have any ideas on what I should do to this motor prior to install or after installing please share.

Thanks again for all of your advise.  I have learned so much.

Brad
Sponsored Links

ajl View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ajl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2021 at 9:41pm
I also own a an 8070 but with only 3500 hrs.  Given that it is a 4 x 4 it has value.  If I did not want to deal with the rebuild then I would sell it as is and someone else will rebuild.  Then I would proceed to take the money from the sale and the savings from the cost of repairs and buy something with the 8.3 Cummins already in it.    A White workhorse comes to mind.   Would not spend time and effort swapping a different motor in it.  Another option would be to go to a 2wd for baler work which would be cheaper.
SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2021 at 10:28pm
...or a CIH  with the Cummins and PS. 7000?series? Neighbor has  3 (2 fwa) older units but seem solid.
bhuffaker1 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bhuffaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2021 at 12:26pm
Originally posted by ajl ajl wrote:

I also own a an 8070 but with only 3500 hrs.  Given that it is a 4 x 4 it has value.  If I did not want to deal with the rebuild then I would sell it as is and someone else will rebuild.  Then I would proceed to take the money from the sale and the savings from the cost of repairs and buy something with the 8.3 Cummins already in it.    A White workhorse comes to mind.   Would not spend time and effort swapping a different motor in it.  Another option would be to go to a 2wd for baler work which would be cheaper.

Much easier said than done.  Around here a Non-running Allis is yard art...  I would have a hard time selling it if it was running.  I can't imagine selling a blown engine Allis on tractor house and getting much money for it....   If I can get it to run and work again for under 5k that is what I am going to have to do. Hope that makes sense.  
CORLEWFARM View Drop Down
Bronze Level Access
Bronze Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote CORLEWFARM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2021 at 6:28pm
Your gonna have less hp,and if you change pumps you will have to change front plate and front cover. You will also have to change manifold or turbo for the muffler and the hole in the hood, and if you keep the 7050 pump you will have to change throttle linkage and put a kill cable.
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bhuffaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2021 at 7:08pm
Originally posted by CORLEWFARM CORLEWFARM wrote:

Your gonna have less hp,and if you change pumps you will have to change front plate and front cover. You will also have to change manifold or turbo for the muffler and the hole in the hood, and if you keep the 7050 pump you will have to change throttle linkage and put a kill cable.

I understand I will have less HP.  

Sorry I am so ignorant but what do you mean by the front plate and the front cover?

Hopefully I can figure the rest out. 
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bhuffaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2021 at 7:09pm
I M Planning on keeping the Rosa Master pump as I like it better that the touchy Bosch pump if that is what you are talking about?
CORLEWFARM View Drop Down
Bronze Level Access
Bronze Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CORLEWFARM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2021 at 7:34pm
If you keep the rosa you'll won't need to change cover.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2021 at 10:59pm
You can probably use a fuel on/off cable from a 7000 series...you'll have to fab a way to use yor existing throttle cable but it's not a deal breaker
GM Guy View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GM Guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2021 at 12:33am
another consideration is a takeout engine from a late N6 combine, swap necessary parts around to bolt it in the tractor.

Are you near Delta and have a neighbor with a airplane cabled down near his shop?
Gleaner: the properly engineered and built combine.

If you need parts for your Gleaner, we are parting out A's through L2's, so we may be able to help.
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bhuffaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2021 at 12:46am
No that is not me..  I am about 4 hours away from Delta.  
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bhuffaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2021 at 9:16am
I am knee deep now in the swap.  Not terrible but definately learning alot.

Have a question:

Should I have this flywheel resurfaced?  Machine shop is over  a month behind and I was hoping to get this back together before then?  Here ae some picture of it..  

THOUGHTS??
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2021 at 12:43pm
I'm no authority. MACK says you replace that pressure plate,not machine it. the flywheel is only thing that gets machinedand it needs done to specs. It's in the service manual.
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bhuffaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2021 at 1:12pm
Thank you so much SteveM. I ordered a new pressure plate!  I am going to see if the local machine shop can resurface the flywheel.  Would you happen to have the specs?  I do not have a service manual.

THanks

Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2021 at 10:20am
Need input from Doc or Mack or anyone else who knows but it seems like they shortened the dimensions up a bit for higher hp tractors.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2021 at 11:25pm
send me a PM with a cell or email and I will send you pic of page in manual on flywheel demensions.
GARY1967 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GARY1967 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2021 at 11:50am
Hello found rebuilt motor on Craigslist. Not mine.  Not sure if same engine your looking for or not. 

Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2021 at 8:10am
Been some games played with that one....8000's didn't have roosa pumps.
Jwmac7060 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jwmac7060 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2021 at 10:51pm
I saw one up at Sumerix that had been switched from the junk ambach to a Roosa master. I personally would've rather has a Roosa
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic