This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

8070 motor fail

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bhuffaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2021 at 11:20pm
Sponsored Links

bhuffaker1 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bhuffaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2021 at 11:26pm
Not sure the head is even rebuildable?

Thoughts on pictures?  Not sure using this head is even an option.  

Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bhuffaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2021 at 11:27pm
Originally posted by Tim NH Tim NH wrote:

Add in the cost of having a adapter plate made, or being able to buy one, to mate the Cummins up. 
  Tim

price includes the adapter plates....
KJCHRIS View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KJCHRIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2021 at 11:29pm
Pictures look like it didn't burn a piston but dropped a valve, which beat hell out of piston and head, you'll also want to have that rod checked for damage. 
I'd do an out of frame complete rebuild or replace on that engine. 
AC 200, CAH, AC185D bareback, AC 180D bareback, D17 III, WF. D17 Blackbar grill, NF. D15 SFW. Case 1175 CAH, Bobcat 543B,
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bhuffaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2021 at 11:30pm
Originally posted by KJCHRIS KJCHRIS wrote:

Pictures look like it didn't burn a piston but dropped a valve, which beat hell out of piston and head, you'll also want to have that rod checked for damage. 
I'd do an out of frame complete rebuild or replace on that engine. 

Rod was bent to hell.....

Head looks too damaged to reuse?
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bhuffaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2021 at 11:31pm
I had a friend take the head off and he told me piston was melted but I agree with you KJCHRIS .  Dropped a valve for sure.   

Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bhuffaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2021 at 11:32pm
Anyone have a rebuilt Motor for this tractor here on this form??
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2021 at 2:52am
you live near greeley?
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2021 at 6:52am
All exhaust valves from an engine that has had the timing advance fail need to be scrapped.
Lars(wi) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lars(wi) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2021 at 7:10am
I don’t want to sound out of line here, but, what does this tractor run/pull when it’s working? Is it possible that you are expecting too much from this tractor? You may have too much of a load on it? Just curious what you use this tractor for?
I tried to follow the science, but it was not there. I then followed the money, and that’s where I found the science.
injpumpEd View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote injpumpEd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2021 at 10:30am
Looking at the first head pic, the injector seems to be the cause of your issue, can see where it was spraying back on the head and valve, and continued use with it running poorly, will make it $h!t the bed. Not in any way the engine's fault. Fix what you have and get it back in the field. Too bad I'm no longer living in Colo lol! That head will need replaced, plenty of good used heads around to be acquired. Leaving an old copper washer in there, and adding a new one with the injector can cause it to not spray in the piston bowl, but on the head surface. Overhaul it, and get another head core to have rebuilt. 
210 "too hot to farm" puller, part of the "insane pumpkin posse". Owner of Guenther Heritage Diesel, specializing in fuel injection systems on heritage era tractors. stock rebuilds to all out pullers!
SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2021 at 11:06am
6 sleeve kits,different head w/all new valves(set at correct surface height),attention to detail when assembling and probably ok to use that Ambac. I'm like others and think life was better with Roosa's but M 100's are ok when they are right. I would put a pyrometer on it just to monitor exhaust temps. If pump retards,exhaust will show it. That for sure dropped a valve and bent your rod but most likely from what Doc said about reusing over heated parts from earlier failure. Can anyone speak to any harm to crank from bending a rod like that?
AC7060IL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC7060IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2021 at 2:25pm
Bhuffaker1, welcome. Hear what you’re saying about being tired of spending money & then it’s not reliable. You’ve also stated in your previous posts that your 8070 has already received a new radiator, new turbo, 8500hr, & otherwise decent shape. From pictures I see it is a Fwd - right? Is it PS or PD transmission?

Lots of great advise on this AC forum. So with that support/direction, rebuilding its current AC 670I engine might be best money spent going forward? Then you should know exact condition of the engine. 7050’s engine might do ok too? It’d compliment your 7080’s likeness. Always a chance for 7050 engine to have issues later though. Cummins 5.9 would be a good engine, but it’s conversion will be expensive. You say you have little to no local AC support. So if you can locate a good local Cummins support, that may be another good direction for you & any future issues?
Good luck whatever you decide!

Edited by AC7060IL - 06 Jun 2021 at 2:58pm
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bhuffaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2021 at 10:32pm
Originally posted by shameless dude shameless dude wrote:

you live near greeley?

I am about 5 hours north..  Opposite end of the sate......  Easily a days drive though....  

What are your thoughts?

Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bhuffaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2021 at 10:33pm
Originally posted by Lars(wi) Lars(wi) wrote:

I don’t want to sound out of line here, but, what does this tractor run/pull when it’s working? Is it possible that you are expecting too much from this tractor? You may have too much of a load on it? Just curious what you use this tractor for?

This tractor would get hot just driving down the road on  a hot afternoon day..   The only thing that I used it for was hooked up to a JD 568 round baler and I loved the transmission for that...

Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bhuffaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2021 at 10:39pm
Originally posted by AC7060IL AC7060IL wrote:

Bhuffaker1, welcome. Hear what you’re saying about being tired of spending money & then it’s not reliable. You’ve also stated in your previous posts that your 8070 has already received a new radiator, new turbo, 8500hr, & otherwise decent shape. From pictures I see it is a Fwd - right? Is it PS or PD transmission?

Lots of great advise on this AC forum. So with that support/direction, rebuilding its current AC3700I engine might be best money spent going forward? Then you should know exact condition of the engine. 7050’s engine might do ok too? It’d compliment your 7080’s likeness. Always a chance for 7050 engine to have issues later though. Cummins 5.9 would be a good engine, but it’s conversion will be expensive. You say you have little to no local AC support. So if you can locate a good local Cummins support, that may be another good direction for you & any future issues?
Good luck whatever you decide!

Power shift..    Yes I am tired of spending the money on the tractor but it just proves that I have NO relieable AC mechanics around here. I have done tons of work and then had it looked about by two different shops.. I just have had EXCEPTIONAL luck with the old 7080.. It is  a rock....

Struggling for sure to make a decision........

THANK YOU!
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bhuffaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2021 at 10:45pm
Originally posted by injpumpEd injpumpEd wrote:

Looking at the first head pic, the injector seems to be the cause of your issue, can see where it was spraying back on the head and valve, and continued use with it running poorly, will make it $h!t the bed. Not in any way the engine's fault. Fix what you have and get it back in the field. Too bad I'm no longer living in Colo lol! That head will need replaced, plenty of good used heads around to be acquired. Leaving an old copper washer in there, and adding a new one with the injector can cause it to not spray in the piston bowl, but on the head surface. Overhaul it, and get another head core to have rebuilt. 

I know I do not have the know how to do what you are saying.  If I had a good AC mechanic here I would rebuild but there really is no one who knows theses engines even remotely close to me.  I am really considering going with the 8.3 and spending the 10k and getting a machine that should last a long time....   I would send this motor to someone but that also starts to break the bank in just shipping costs.

I made a mistake when I bought this tractor years ago.  I should have bought a tractor that either I could support of have mechanics that can support it.  THis is Green country around here.  Case  as well....    I would just like to get something in this machine that I can trust to run and do well.   It is a money pit because there is no one here who can fix it right the first time.  

Thanks for the post!
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bhuffaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2021 at 11:07pm
Here is my email in case someone here may know "a guy" who can either rebuild this correctly or sell me a rebuilt motor. If not, I may have no choice but to go with either the 5.9 or the 8.3   
 Please have them reach out to me...
bhuff.ncsd@gmail.com
Mikez View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mikez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2021 at 11:25pm
I don’t know anything on this topic. Unless these motors that your thinking of buying came out of an 8070, you might end up half to three quarters of an engine swap to find hard to find puzzle pieces and regret the decision.
Jwmac7060 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jwmac7060 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2021 at 11:40pm
Dont waste anymore money. Swap it out for an 8.3 Cummins. We put one in an 8070 and it was a completely different tractor.Allis never should have put those junk pumps on anything
BKarpel View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BKarpel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2021 at 1:35pm
You should rebuild your motor. At least you know what you have. The other 426 may last a long time or quit tomorrow. When doing a overhaul have the pump and injectors tested. Could replace pumps and even put a A pump on. A cummins swap will require a motor adapter plate and flywheel modification. I think the frame rail gets cut to make room. How can injectors be put in wrong when they have lines to match up to?
Calvin Schmidt View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Calvin Schmidt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2021 at 2:09pm
About a month ago, I looked at a brown belly 7580 that was supposed to have a rebuilt engine. There were other issues so he was willing to sell at a part out price. I didn't pull the trigger, but if it has not sold and I bought it , the engine would be available. Also has 32" wheels. I'm a long way from you in Ontario.
Nothing is impossible if it is properly financed
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bhuffaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2021 at 3:08pm
Originally posted by Calvin Schmidt Calvin Schmidt wrote:

About a month ago, I looked at a brown belly 7580 that was supposed to have a rebuilt engine. There were other issues so he was willing to sell at a part out price. I didn't pull the trigger, but if it has not sold and I bought it , the engine would be available. Also has 32" wheels. I'm a long way from you in Ontario.

I have no idea how much shipping would be?  Prob a small fortune where it would have to come across the boarder..  I wish you were closer.....
bigal121892 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigal121892 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2021 at 3:35pm
Originally posted by BKarpel BKarpel wrote:

How can injectors be put in wrong when they have lines to match up to?

The injectors can be installed in one of two positions, one correct the other incorrect. If all the injectors have been removed, and the first one is installed wrong, and the rest are installed like the first one, the return line will match up, and you will never know the difference, unless you are familiar with how the injectors are to be installed. It's been a long time, but if remember correctly, the line needs to go between the injectors and the valve cover.
injpumpEd View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote injpumpEd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2021 at 6:55pm
Correct, return line towards valve cover on engines with American Bosch injectors. Sometimes guys put them the other way thinking the returns are easier to get to, not realizing the holes in the tip are at an angle to compensate for the injector sitting in the head at an angle. Allis Chalmers built injectors are foolproof, inlet on side, return on top. 
210 "too hot to farm" puller, part of the "insane pumpkin posse". Owner of Guenther Heritage Diesel, specializing in fuel injection systems on heritage era tractors. stock rebuilds to all out pullers!
automaticdave View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote automaticdave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2021 at 7:19pm
How can I tell which injection nozzles are on my 8010 that has a M-100 pump on it? Thanks Dave
SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2021 at 9:57pm
If it's got an Ambac pump...it has Ambac injectors...fuel line on top,return on side.

Edited by SteveM C/IL - 06 Jun 2021 at 9:58pm
Kevin in WA View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kevin in WA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2021 at 9:07am
Even the early 8010 with the Roosa pump still had Ambac injectors from the factory.
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bhuffaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2021 at 9:23am
Originally posted by injpumpEd injpumpEd wrote:

Correct, return line towards valve cover on engines with American Bosch injectors. Sometimes guys put them the other way thinking the returns are easier to get to, not realizing the holes in the tip are at an angle to compensate for the injector sitting in the head at an angle. Allis Chalmers built injectors are foolproof, inlet on side, return on top. 

It is a very touchy injection system.  This is why Shops around here do not like to work on these engines and hence my dilemma.  The Rosa master pump and injectors in my opinion was  by far a superb system.  I know understand that AC wanted to not make as much black smoke and start a little easier but those fuel systems just seemed to work and work well.  Not near as touchy.  Who makes an injector that can be put in backwards and still somewhat work? 

I have learned so much from each of you and thank you for your time and input.  I hope to make a decision in the next few days....
injpumpEd View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote injpumpEd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2021 at 10:37am
Many engines have injectors that can be installed "backwards" so to speak. The Roosa pumps on about 150hp tractors and up were kinda past their comfort zone. The M100 is a good pump, kinda complicated by design, but IH tractors been running them since 71. They did allow AC engines to smoke a little less. For some reason though, the AC engine is much more sensitive to governor surging with the M100's and even more so with the Bosch A pump inline. The one or two A pump conversions I've been involved in had surging issues, which is why I cannot do those at this time. I'm no engineer, and sure don't have time to listen to callers complaining about a surge issues. The biggest issue giving the AC M100's a black eye is poor quality rebuilds. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic