This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

6080 Question

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coytee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2018 at 7:30am
Originally posted by DrAllis DrAllis wrote:

The crankshaft thrust kit isn't on that tractor.

Is that to say the "repair" kit isn't on the tractor?

If so, would that mean the bearing issue is still an issue?
Sponsored Links

AC7060IL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC7060IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2018 at 8:34am
Coytee, Nice looking 6080. Couldnt tell if you bought it or not? If so, congrats! Maybe try some rubbing compound on it's hood to see if the orange has any vibrant color under its fade.
Lynn Marshall, Thanks for posting the Service Bulletin from 7-24-85. I saved an image of it to my computer for later references.
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2018 at 9:05am
If your 6080 is prior to the serial numbers listed in the Service Bulletin, it was supposed to get the kit installed by the selling dealership. Yes, it would be suspect to a failure, especially if the PTO clutch use isn't operated like it should be.
Coytee View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coytee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2018 at 9:27am
Is there something/somewhere I can check to see if it's "fixed" or otherwise, not an issue?  Example:  There is a tag if I recall, right next to the clutch pedal.  I presumed the serial number would be here.  This tag was essentially useless, I couldn't ascertain any type there at all (didn't get REAL close, just looked while standing next to machine)

What if it's had a short block installed?  How would one tell?

Side note:  The current owner (whom I believe to be the original owners son) is totally unaware of any issues with the tractor and didn't seem to know of any service visits with the tractor (which I presume would have been needed if a short block was installed)

Then again, could the tractor have had that done PRIOR to the purchase??
Steve Zidlicky View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve Zidlicky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2018 at 9:49am
the serial number will be just a number on that tag nothing more.  if the tractor had been repaired or updated it would have been done within two years (engine warranty) from being new or else the owner was on his own for repairs as I understand it.  I believe if the tractor had been updated prior to being purchased, it will have the added external bearing on the front of the engine. BUT it depends on the serial number of the tractor as to whether it was needed.  check end play and if it is still within specs it probably was the newer engine 
SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2018 at 9:52am
Just pry the crank back and forth and see if you have a problem to start with! If not,operate it properly and move on.Get the thrust brg kit and install it on a rainy day.
Coytee View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coytee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2018 at 10:04am
Originally posted by SteveM C/IL SteveM C/IL wrote:

Just pry the crank back and forth and see if you have a problem to start with! If not,operate it properly and move on.Get the thrust brg kit and install it on a rainy day.

I get that...  but when the Service Bulliten says ".004 to .030" inch....  it doesn't stike me as a quick/easy thing for someone who's never done that while (I suppose) under a tractor.  (I'm mechanically inclined so not concerned about trying to check, I just need to know/understand what and where to look)

DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2018 at 10:16am
The Bulletin gives an engine s/n also. Look at that tag. Left side of the engine under the thermostat housing.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2018 at 2:01pm
Well, a 32nd of an inch is close to .030 and you know how tiny that is on a ruler.At that play,you'll barely feel it and hardly see it. A resting crank should slip back and forth rather easy.Loosen belts to reduce friction. Make sure that PTO lever isn't pushing on it or you'll never move it.
Coytee View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coytee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2018 at 6:21am
So here's the deal as it's evolving....

Don't know anything concrete about the bearing yet.  Going out this weekend (unless its raining) to try to ascertain.  Meanwhile, he's supposed to be hunting down the serial number so we can maybe see where it falls on the list.

He's fixing the twisted spline on the mower and the rubber shock bushings...

Said I'm welcome to come out and cut his field once he gets the parts back together (reason for my visit on Saturday)

Said he'd deliver tractor AND mower to my house, about 60 minutes away from him, for $8,000.

Don't recall if I mentioned this....

My pupose for this is a mower.  Looking to cut the family farm.  To reword that....  I'm looking for a mower to cut property that I don't own 100% (family partnership)

So in a sense, I'm looking to buy something to maintain someone elses land (though my wife is a 10% owner)

I want to buy something affordable and will do the job (cutting maybe 100'ish acres of fields)

I'm mechanically inclined so am not afraid of turning a wrench & getting dirty every now & then (you should see me when I dig into my JCB backhoe...!!!!)

Should I prepare a check for 8K?

oh, and is the bearing fixable if it's the issue?  Or is the bra the fix?

If the bra is the fix, how much damage could be in there "today" if the bra hasn't been on there?

victoryallis View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote victoryallis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2018 at 7:13am
Originally posted by Allis in farmland Allis in farmland wrote:

You get your 6080's started down to 32 degrees with one battery no ether, not being plugged in??? Do you hold the glow plug for 5 minutes or are you talking 32 degrees Celsius? I smell some BS!

I hold the glow plug for the max of 12 to 15 seconds. If you walk close to a tractor of mine with a ether can you are prone to get your arm broke.
8030 and 8050MFWD, 7580, 3 6080's, 160, 7060, 175, heirloom D17, Deere 8760
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2018 at 7:18am
Does that broken arm fall under Workman's Comp  ??
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2018 at 8:58am
ether is like alcohol,You gotta know how to use it.
Coytee View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coytee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2018 at 2:38pm
Seller has gotten back with me (he really does seem like a nice & straight up guy)

Anyway, he found the engine serial number, is going back tonight to hunt the Chassis number.

The number on the engine is:  33-08712

Another number on that tag is: 4009241
It's faded out a bit buy it looks like it's called a Catalog number (?)

Another numer on the upper left of that same tag is 43 3I  (or is it 433I)

Does this tell anything yet?

Coytee View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coytee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2018 at 2:46pm
I don't know quite how to phrase this question....

If the thrust bearing has "X" amount of wear on it...  well, a couple questions:

1.  How easy it it to replace?  (I presume drop crank is part of the process)
2.  If it's got "X" amount of wear AND the bra is added, is that enough to give it more life?

In other words...  if you have an early model (as I'm suspecting this is) and there are no evident issues with the bearing....  can the bra be added "today" and all is well?

By the way, I DO want to say "thank you" for all the help here and the handful of PM's I've received.  It is appreciated.
AC720Man View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC720Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2018 at 3:44pm
IMO, unless you can measure the fore and aft play of the the crank the one thing you can go by is the owners history of how he operated the pto and how much it was used. What type of farming did they do will give you a clue or an idea of the equipment the tractor ran? If it was a tillage tractor then the pto would not have been used. If the pto was rarely used and the lever was left in the forward position then there is no issue with the thrust bearing since there was no pressure maintanted against the crank and thrust bearing. For instance, I know the history of dads 6060 that has no thrust bearing support. The pto has always been properly engaged/disengaged since it was new. It sees a fair amount of pto work, mainly baling. I am not concered about the thrust bearing issue, although I am inquiring on a price for the kit out of courosity. 
As far as hard starting, we rarely use ether. We always plug the block heater in 30-45 minutes before we need to run it. Starts very easily in that short period of time. Great tractor.
1968 B-208, 1976 720 (2 of them)Danco brush hog, single bottom plow,52" snow thrower, belly mower,rear tine tiller, rear blade, front blade, 57"sickle bar,1983 917 hydro, 1968 7hp sno-bee, 1968 190XTD
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2018 at 3:58pm
By engine s/n, it is clearly one that qualified for the kit. The hood decals are the old ones, so that is also a giveaway. Installation of the kit (when adjusted right) pretty much does away with any pressure on the internal thrust bearing. Good luck finding a kit. I'm sure they are no longer available from AGCO. Repair parts are, but the whole kit I doubt it.
Coytee View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coytee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2018 at 4:45pm
Well....  how to word this...

I've found a bra....but nothing yet to fill it with!

Meaning, the "frame" has been found.  I think it's actually a new OEM unit too.  It's not the kit, just the frame.  The other parts would have to be ordered (or found) individually.

No time tonight to dig more ito that....but anyone care to venture on a limb and give odds on how easy the rest of the parts might be?

I am guessing the bra would be the hard part, what else is there?  some bolts, maybe a spacer, a bearing...?

I don't recall the price but the bra was something like $350 for that part alone.

Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote victoryallis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2018 at 7:15pm
Originally posted by DrAllis DrAllis wrote:

Good luck finding a kit. I'm sure they are no longer available from AGCO. Repair parts are, but the whole kit I doubt it.

Try calling Heitman he might have one. I know he had a 6080 that appeared to be a fresh arrival.
DougG View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DougG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2018 at 7:48pm
Victoryallis or whatever this dude goes by is a real hoot to wait for responses, LOL,,, truly deep problems there
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2018 at 9:35pm
go to agcopartsbooks.com and go in as"guest user".If you can get the pictures and parts list to "show" you can see what it takes. When you put 6080 in the box,you want to selct agco/allis.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2018 at 9:37pm
go to agcopartsbooks.com and go in as"guest user".If you can get the pictures and parts list to "show" you can see what it takes. When you put 6080 in the box,you want to selct agco/allis.I bet if you have the support, you can buy the individual pieces to put it together.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote victoryallis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2018 at 10:00pm
Originally posted by DougG DougG wrote:

Victoryallis or whatever this dude goes by is a real hoot to wait for responses, LOL,,, truly deep problems there

Sorry I tried helping. I’ve probably more seat time on a 6080 than most of the rest of the guys who replied added together.
Jordan(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jordan(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2018 at 6:20am
Wonder how long the thrust bearing would last with a Deutz engine?
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2018 at 9:26am
Blasphemy there Jordan !!
Meanolallis View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meanolallis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2018 at 12:19pm
To check the crank end play, you can "engage" the PTO hand lever (forward), block the foot pedal up, put a dial indicator on the front of the crankshaft (pulley) and pry the crank forward and back (a block of wood can be helpful). I think per the service manual (before Allis discovered the issue?), the max clearance is 0.012 or 0.014. You can probably get the dial indicator at harbor freight if you want... It seems like that tractor might have quite a bit of wear if it was used as you say it was.
Meanolallis View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meanolallis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2018 at 12:22pm
I think a lot (all?) of the other parts you will need for the bra (stub shaft, front plate, bearing, shims, etc.) are available from Agco. You will need the instructions to install the bra kit (I have a copy).
wekracer View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wekracer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2018 at 10:11pm
I would say if it starts and runs with no funny noises there is no permanent damage. I would look for a braw and I would get a dial indicator and check end play on the crank. Worst case, you would want to drop the pan and roll in new main and thrust bearings without removing the crank. It would take a little time but wouldn’t cost much.

A 6080 is a sweet tractor. We have one 2wd with canopy. They are powerful yet nimble for their size.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic