This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Pulling Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

45 crank and high comp pistons

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TennMatt1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 45 crank and high comp pistons
    Posted: 30 Apr 2023 at 5:10pm
Wondering if anyone knows where I could source some high compression   4.125 pistons and a good 45 crank.
1954 WD45
Sponsored Links

WF owner View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WF owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2023 at 6:30pm
Both should be very easy to find. 

I just installed a set of 4.125 (7.5 - 1 compression) and a 4.5" (WD45) crankshaft in a 201 block today. My pistons and sleeves came from Reliance. I have had them on the shelf since 2015, but I am sure they are still available.

Edited by WF owner - 30 Apr 2023 at 6:33pm
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2023 at 7:29pm
Look down below to a topic titled "D-17 pistons".  At the end of that I list what it would take. Flat top 4 1/8" pistons with 2.500" compression height will get you 10.3 to 1 compression ratio.  2.550" compression height begets 11.3 to 1 compression ratio.  Both would require 106 octane or better fuel and retarded ( 18 to 20 degree BTDC) timing.
TennMatt1 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TennMatt1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2023 at 8:57pm
Absolutely great info and that's the kinda compression I'm looking for. I've had several over the years but parts nowadays are hard to come by. I didn't know if aomeone may have a old set or is there one I could use off the shelf. It's a pulling engine 100%..Just a play toy. Just want to be competitive in stock class you know.
1954 WD45
HudCo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HudCo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2023 at 10:15pm
you would think a wd 45 crank would be easy to come by,   sure not in my neck of the woods i wood like to find a whole 45 engine around hereso i can use the distributer and head also for my puller engine
TramwayGuy View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TramwayGuy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2023 at 11:14pm
Regular WD 4-1/8 pistons with a 45 crank will boost compression considerably. Isn’t there a sticky on the subject somewhere?
Phil48ACWC View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Phil48ACWC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2023 at 6:31am
I have a WD45 Crank, never turned, great condition. I'd let it go for $500 or good reasonable offer, plus shipping.

Edited by Phil48ACWC - 02 May 2023 at 6:44am
IBWD MIke View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2023 at 7:26am
I have a good set of 4&1/8" flattops I would sell. Not sure on the pin height.
Kip-Utah View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Kip-Utah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2023 at 2:18pm
I'm not sure if Steiner Tractor still sells "new" WD45 cranks, but when I built my WC puller engine several years ago they did. They also did reconditioned cranks on exchange & that's actually what we did. The rebuilt crank was shipped with the proper undersized bearings.
HANSEN'S OLD ORANGE IRON. Showing, Pulling, & Going!!
TennMatt1 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TennMatt1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2023 at 7:39pm
I sent you a message
1954 WD45
HudCo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HudCo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2023 at 10:10pm
kip -utah  are you useing the mag or distrubuter , we are a stiener dealer  but i really need the whole engine,  are you using the 201 block i have plenty of those
Kip-Utah View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kip-Utah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2023 at 8:27pm
Sorry that I’m just responding to your question. On this engine we used the WD45 distributor with the 12 volt Pertronix electronic conversion. I like this setup for this one…but we run magnetos on all of our other AC pullers. Weird situation the engine that we built that was in a 1941 WC, had a dealer replacement block that is the WD45 type but had ALL WC internal components & external bolt ons. We also had a complete WD45 engine with a freeze damaged block and so EVERYTHING including the tall head, manifolds, carburetor, distributor & crankshaft replaced the WC stuff in the dealer replacement block. There is no reason that a good WC/earlyWD block with the side plate can’t be used. Also the only reason we used the 45 “tall” head is because it had been recently reconditioned before the freeze damage. Otherwise we would have used the short head, because it was also a good head that was mechanically sound. For pistons we used Power Seal brand 4.125” 8:1 crater type. In theory the tall head is better suited for crater pistons than the short head, but I think any difference in performance is extremely negligible.

Edited by Kip-Utah - 18 May 2023 at 8:51pm
HANSEN'S OLD ORANGE IRON. Showing, Pulling, & Going!!
trikesbikes@gmail.co View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trikesbikes@gmail.co Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2023 at 6:06am
I hope I am in the right place to ask a question ! I pull a WD 45 and need a tune up! Wondering what is a good plug and points to use in it
WF owner View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WF owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2023 at 6:37am
What's a good plug? Anything but Champion! back in the 70's, Dad used to say Champions did not work well in an AC engine. The consensus, from the majority of AC "experts" is the same. Back in the day, AC plugs were what worked best. Now Autolite and NGK are the most recommended plugs.

Points are generally foreign made, along with condensors, and poor quality. Most recommend changing to electronic ignition (Pertronix is the most recommended).

My suggestion is that you go to Steve in NJ's website Other Technical Info (bb-customcircuits.com) and read some of his information. Steve is very knowledgeable and helpful, if you need advice.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic