Forum Description: Forum dedicated to Tractor and Garden Pulling
URL: https://www.allischalmers.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=194902
Printed Date: 27 Apr 2024 at 2:08pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.10 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: 45 crank and high comp pistons
Posted By: TennMatt1
Subject: 45 crank and high comp pistons
Date Posted: 30 Apr 2023 at 5:10pm
Wondering if anyone knows where I could source some high compression   4.125 pistons and a good 45 crank.

-------------
1954 WD45

Replies:
Posted By: WF owner
Date Posted: 30 Apr 2023 at 6:30pm
Both should be very easy to find. 

I just installed a set of 4.125 (7.5 - 1 compression) and a 4.5" (WD45) crankshaft in a 201 block today. My pistons and sleeves came from Reliance. I have had them on the shelf since 2015, but I am sure they are still available.

Posted By: DrAllis
Date Posted: 30 Apr 2023 at 7:29pm
Look down below to a topic titled "D-17 pistons".  At the end of that I list what it would take. Flat top 4 1/8" pistons with 2.500" compression height will get you 10.3 to 1 compression ratio.  2.550" compression height begets 11.3 to 1 compression ratio.  Both would require 106 octane or better fuel and retarded ( 18 to 20 degree BTDC) timing.

Date Posted: 30 Apr 2023 at 8:57pm
Absolutely great info and that's the kinda compression I'm looking for. I've had several over the years but parts nowadays are hard to come by. I didn't know if aomeone may have a old set or is there one I could use off the shelf. It's a pulling engine 100%..Just a play toy. Just want to be competitive in stock class you know.

-------------
1954 WD45

Posted By: HudCo
Date Posted: 30 Apr 2023 at 10:15pm
you would think a wd 45 crank would be easy to come by,   sure not in my neck of the woods i wood like to find a whole 45 engine around hereso i can use the distributer and head also for my puller engine

Posted By: TramwayGuy
Date Posted: 30 Apr 2023 at 11:14pm
Regular WD 4-1/8 pistons with a 45 crank will boost compression considerably. Isn’t there a sticky on the subject somewhere?

Posted By: Phil48ACWC
Date Posted: 01 May 2023 at 6:31am
I have a WD45 Crank, never turned, great condition. I'd let it go for $500 or good reasonable offer, plus shipping.

Posted By: IBWD MIke
Date Posted: 01 May 2023 at 7:26am
I have a good set of 4&1/8" flattops I would sell. Not sure on the pin height.

Posted By: Kip-Utah
Date Posted: 01 May 2023 at 2:18pm
I'm not sure if Steiner Tractor still sells "new" WD45 cranks, but when I built my WC puller engine several years ago they did. They also did reconditioned cranks on exchange & that's actually what we did. The rebuilt crank was shipped with the proper undersized bearings.

-------------
HANSEN'S OLD ORANGE IRON. Showing, Pulling, & Going!!

Date Posted: 01 May 2023 at 7:39pm
I sent you a message

-------------
1954 WD45

Posted By: HudCo
Date Posted: 01 May 2023 at 10:10pm
kip -utah  are you useing the mag or distrubuter , we are a stiener dealer  but i really need the whole engine,  are you using the 201 block i have plenty of those

Posted By: Kip-Utah
Date Posted: 18 May 2023 at 8:27pm
Sorry that I’m just responding to your question. On this engine we used the WD45 distributor with the 12 volt Pertronix electronic conversion. I like this setup for this one…but we run magnetos on all of our other AC pullers. Weird situation the engine that we built that was in a 1941 WC, had a dealer replacement block that is the WD45 type but had ALL WC internal components & external bolt ons. We also had a complete WD45 engine with a freeze damaged block and so EVERYTHING including the tall head, manifolds, carburetor, distributor & crankshaft replaced the WC stuff in the dealer replacement block. There is no reason that a good WC/earlyWD block with the side plate can’t be used. Also the only reason we used the 45 “tall” head is because it had been recently reconditioned before the freeze damage. Otherwise we would have used the short head, because it was also a good head that was mechanically sound. For pistons we used Power Seal brand 4.125” 8:1 crater type. In theory the tall head is better suited for crater pistons than the short head, but I think any difference in performance is extremely negligible.

-------------
HANSEN'S OLD ORANGE IRON. Showing, Pulling, & Going!!

Posted By: trikesbikes@gmail.co
Date Posted: 29 May 2023 at 6:06am
I hope I am in the right place to ask a question ! I pull a WD 45 and need a tune up! Wondering what is a good plug and points to use in it

Posted By: WF owner
Date Posted: 29 May 2023 at 6:37am
What's a good plug? Anything but Champion! back in the 70's, Dad used to say Champions did not work well in an AC engine. The consensus, from the majority of AC "experts" is the same. Back in the day, AC plugs were what worked best. Now Autolite and NGK are the most recommended plugs.

Points are generally foreign made, along with condensors, and poor quality. Most recommend changing to electronic ignition (Pertronix is the most recommended).

My suggestion is that you go to Steve in NJ's website  https://bb-customcircuits.com/other-technical-info" rel="nofollow - Other Technical Info (bb-customcircuits.com)  and read some of his information. Steve is very knowledgeable and helpful, if you need advice.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.10 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2017 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net