This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

220FWA vs Oliver/Cockshutt FWA

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dpower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 220FWA vs Oliver/Cockshutt FWA
    Posted: 15 Dec 2010 at 3:41pm
Had a couple people wanting to see the comparison for 220FWA vs Oliver/Cockshutts FWA. Thought i would post a couple of pictures if found.
Sponsored Links

dpower View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dpower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2010 at 3:42pm
At our family tractor show where these pictures were taken we had a couple older Oliver Mechanics and they say they never had to work on the mechanical fronts on the Oliver/Cockshutts.
michaelwis View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote michaelwis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2010 at 4:24pm
i just loved your tractors last fall ...
WD WD45 DIESEL D 14 D-15 SERIES 2 190XT TERRA TIGER ac allcrop 60   GLEANER F 6060 7040.and attachments for all Proud to be an active farmer
Daehler View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daehler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2010 at 5:50pm
I would be like a kid in a candy store with all them tractors. Nice pics.
Brian Jasper co. Ia View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian Jasper co. Ia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2010 at 5:56pm
OK, I'll ask. Which one had better field performance? Oliver's Over/Under system was 3 ranges wasn't it? The 220 did have the 2 range power director didn't it?
"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian." Henry Ford
dpower View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dpower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2010 at 6:03pm
You could only use the 220 fwa in low range. You could not use the front end engaged on the high side.
Henry se/k! View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Henry se/k! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2010 at 6:30pm
Hey Igleaner you could have a sign just like Dpower!
CTuckerNWIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CTuckerNWIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2010 at 7:18pm
I really like the looks of the 220 with that slight incline to the front. It seems funny that back in the day of these tractors, any one of them would have been considered overkill for this part of the country. Now days it seems everybody has FWA tractors. 20 years ago if you had 4 wheel drive it was an articulated tractor. Now there are way more FWA tractors around.
http://www.ae-ta.com
Lena 1935 WC12xxx, Willie 1951 CA6xx Dad bought new, 1954WD45 PS, 1960 D17 NF
Lonn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lonn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2010 at 7:26pm
Originally posted by Brian Jasper co. Ia Brian Jasper co. Ia wrote:

OK, I'll ask. Which one had better field performance? Oliver's Over/Under system was 3 ranges wasn't it? The 220 did have the 2 range power director didn't it?

Nope, the 220 did have a 4 speed with 2 ranges but no Power Director, all mechanical shift. As told to me by more than one old mechanic the 220 was as solid a tractor as any ever built and a real performer.
-- --- .... .- -- -- .- -.. / .-- .- ... / .- / -- ..- .-. -.. . .-. .. -. --. / -.-. .... .. .-.. -.. / .-. .- .--. .. ... -
Wink
I am a Russian Bot
split51 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote split51 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2010 at 8:40pm
 I prefer AC over Ollies and Cockshutts but something about those 4 digit series FWAs are the cats meow!!!!!!!!!.

We had an Ollie 1800 FWA gas tractor back in the 70s, the one thing I really remember about it was that you better give yourself a country mile to get it turned around.

Here is and Ollie and Cockshutt I built a while back, at the time, I didnt know that the FWA wasnt built in a checkerboard 1900.

Edited by split51 - 15 Dec 2010 at 8:45pm
1929 20-35 sn17662
B1 w/snow blade
B10 w/sickle mower
B110 w/mower deck
B110 w/tiller
B112 w/grader blade
B210 w/plo
Unit3 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unit3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2010 at 10:06pm
I would like to know where and when you have your GOYO (Get Out Your Orange) day. I would like to come and see it. Also I would like to know what size of AC is that beside the 220FWA wearing a factory cab with ac? It doesn't look like a 200 to me, but I can be wrong.
AllisChalmers37 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AllisChalmers37 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2010 at 10:09pm
Originally posted by Unit3 Unit3 wrote:

I would like to know where and when you have your GOYO (Get Out Your Orange) day. I would like to come and see it. Also I would like to know what size of AC is that beside the 220FWA wearing a factory cab with ac? It doesn't look like a 200 to me, but I can be wrong.

The tractor beside the 220 is a 210. Atleast that is what it says on the hood.
1937 WC, 1950 CA, 1959 D14, 1967 190XT, 2006 Ram 3500
427435 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 427435 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2010 at 10:21pm
There were 2 tricks (engineering solutions) to popularize FWA in the 80's.  First was to take away the biggest negative (other than price) which was turning radius.  The FWA axles that were developed in the late 70's and early 80's provide a lot sharper turning angle.

The second was to add a clutch that could be used to engage or disengage the FWA on the go.  I remember discussions with the A-C marketing/sales people-----they wanted to avoid the cost of a clutch.  I wanted one because it would show farmers how much the FWA could do.  You could easily find conditions where the tractor would be working easily with a given load with the FWA on and, then when you switched the FWA off, the tractor would start digging in and struggling.  Turn the FWA back on and away you would go.  The discussion went on for a while, but we eventually told sales that a clutch was needed to avoid FWA axle problems when a loader was mounted and you reversed the tractor with a load in the bucket.  Over 50% of the torque could end up going to the FWA and the axle would eventually fail.  We sized the clutch to provide a little slippage to prevent the overloads.  End of discussion.

Of course, once the tractors got out in the field and demonstrations were held, it was easy to sell FWA.
Mark

B10 Allis, 917 Allis, 7116 Simplicity, 7790 Simplicity Diesel,
GTH-L Simplicity

Ignorance is curable-----stupidity is not.
redline View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2010 at 8:22am
FWA was a true advancement, but sadly, it didn't really get the attention it deserved until that Green and Yellow outfit said it was OK. The other mfg.s were way out in front with it and still didn't get the attention they deserved. Deere saved fortunes on engineering and spent it on advertising. Grrrrr....angers me every time I think about it. No-till (drills in Deere's case) Rotary harvesting, turbocharging, 4 and 6 cylinder smooth running engines, rubber tires......I think we could make a rather long list of examples.
One exception, is Deere's power shift. They got everybody else with that one. Everyone beat them with 2 and 3 speed selections, but they forgot to keep expanding on the idea. Maybe Ford had the jerk a matic before or at the same time, though?
If it weren't for the last minute, I wouldn't get anything done!
redline View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2010 at 8:24am

"Here is and Ollie and Cockshutt I built a while back, at the time, I didnt know that the FWA wasnt built in a checkerboard 1900"

Split51, Maybe Oliver didn't build it, but it looks like maybe they should have. Those are some nice models you built!
If it weren't for the last minute, I wouldn't get anything done!
dpower View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dpower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2010 at 8:34am
The tractor next to it is a 210 with factory AC cab. We are located outside Madison Nebraska and take the tractors down to our North pasture. We might do it again next year we are not sure, takes a lot of work to get them all down there and washed up. If interested in coming let me know. Thanks
Brian F(IL) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian F(IL) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2010 at 3:20pm
I remember when Dad would take out a Two-Twenty FWA tractor with a 6-16" plow to demonstrate it for farmers.  Got a lot of lookers.  I think we only sold 2 or 3 of them that I can recall.  A lot of fun.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic