This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

1980’s FA 11b junk?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lazyts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2020 at 9:15pm
I saved that one from the scrapper- bought it in the fall of '17, it had spun a rod, undercarriage was completely shot, I rebuilt it with mostly used parts and put it to work the next summer.  Should turn over 900 hours tomorrow, all paid custom work for neighbors and friends- I don't have any land of my own.  Dad has a small farm, and has the exact same machine, we've put about 500 hours or less on that one in 8 years- his track chains still look like new.  Both of these machines have paid for themselves, I tore down another unit for parts, so we do have lots of extra parts.  I keep my eye out for NOS parts and buy the occasional piece I think I'll need.  If I use a part from my stock, I try to replace it.  I've re-powered two HD11s with N7 engines for other people.  
It would be nice to have new parts available, but then again, with the price tags a guy would probably be looking used anyway...  I know guys running old Cats that mostly buy used too...

Sponsored Links

Orangeisgreat190 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Orangeisgreat190 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2020 at 5:47am
You may want to try Crane and Tractor in Columbus, Ohio.  They had a huge surplus of parts for AC and FA crawlers.  It has been quite a few years since I have been there, so maybe they do not have the inventory they once did.  Might be worth a call to see what they have available for this machine and see parts prices from them if still available.  Their number is six one four- 443- zero 5 nine 4.  Hope this helps.
SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2020 at 8:24pm
My brother had a 71  11B. We both had ran D6C's before. The Allis would out work the Cats.
Lazyts View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lazyts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2020 at 11:12am
I've never had a chance to compare it to D6C or D6D.  I work with a friend who used to have a D6H- it was definately a class higher than the 11.  It was the XL model with 185 Hp- and it would haul!  Now he has an older D7H, it will almost do double what the 11-B will.  We tried tandem pushing but the D7 is actually faster too, and the Cats keep a steadier pace- the speed of the Allis is very dependent on load.
HOFarm View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HOFarm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2020 at 11:53am
what would you pay for the machine I got listed? Also thank you for your opinion. Seems like we both have the same interest. I dont mind doing a parts hunt if the initial cost is low enough. I am glad to hear a good review, appreciate it!
HOFarm View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HOFarm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2020 at 11:54am
did yall clear all that with dozers? Very impressive. Will the keep those stumps windrowed like that or eventually burn?
Lazyts View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lazyts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2020 at 1:09pm
It will all burn eventually- sometimes the "locals" will go at the windrows with their chain saws for firewood.  It's probably not a good idea, with the price of carbon going up- maybe the new oil?  I just do what I'm told..Wink
I think 10K is a buy on these machines if everything still works and there's still enough undercarriage left to get some work done.  I figure machine rent at 60-70 dollars per hour, so, that would be 150 hours of work, plus its still worth scrap when you are done.
Things to check:
Fan drive bearings (in front of injection pump- these need to be replaced every so often)
Equalizer bar pin (lift the front of the tractor and see how much it slops- I use the condition of the equalizer bar to estimate hours on the machine, as the hour meter usually can't be trusted)
Final drive leaks- I wouldn't worry about seepage, but if it is pouring oil that is bad.  If final drive is over full oil is leaking in from steering clutches, or there is water in the housing.
Run the machine and see if it will pull right away- as the transmission clutches wear it can take a long time before they will lock up.
BOttom rollers- lift the machine with the blade and have a look for loose ones.
I've found that the ones with the Bosch pump start best with the throttle wide open...

Probably the IH blade was installed when they broke the push arms- very common on these, push arms were designed for 100 HP and 25000 pound machine, not 140 and 32000.
injpumpEd View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote injpumpEd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2020 at 3:38pm
Wouldn't any HD11 new enough to be a FiatAllis, have a Roosa/Stanadyne pump? The PSB went away in the late 60's I think. There's lots of listings in the Stanadyne Application guide with HD11's. 
210 "too hot to farm" puller, part of the "insane pumpkin posse". Owner of Guenther Heritage Diesel, specializing in fuel injection systems on heritage era tractors. stock rebuilds to all out pullers!
Lazyts View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Lazyts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2020 at 5:29pm
HD11s went like this:
PSB from 1955 to 1967
Roosa Master 1968-71
Robert Bosch 1971-74
Roosa Master 1975-77 -also changed oil pan and oil pump configuration at this time (discontinued early 77)

Edited by Lazyts - 19 Nov 2020 at 5:31pm
SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2020 at 5:51pm
My brothers 71 had the P pump. Horsepower increase was no challenge.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic