This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

180D injection pump

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2010 at 8:10am
As far as garage rates, less than a third will be for actual paid labor.  The benefits paid for by the employer, vacation time, sick time, work comp, insurance and so on add up quick and can come to another quarter of the rate, the rest is EPA fees, shop utilities, warranty coverage, tooling, taxes and base insurance for garageman's liability with business coverage for the facilities for fire/flood/ and so on. 

Actual profit is generally less than 10% and usually closer to 5%.  I owned my own service for a few years hoping to make it big, problem is in this day getting and keeping quality workers is tough and the fees grow ever higher per year, I lost money three years in a row and sold out.
Sponsored Links

JC-WI View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JC-WI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2010 at 10:13am
Hey Ed, what  would it cost me for you to rebuild my pump?
  ...  Its a Diesel Equipment Corp. pump, better known as DECO. 
 Model number got creased real hard and can't read it but I think it says K 164.. not sure. Says fire order is 1342. Plunger dia. 8.5 M.M. and lift is 3.3 M.M.
  Just sorta kidding you Ed, but seriously with a pump this old (its for a K-O Allis crawler) where / who would have parts or to get them made?
   Can you still get info on these pumps?
... Maybe if guts are too expensive, can a fellow retrofit the pump barrels with something else?  Thanks, JC
Lonn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lonn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2010 at 10:30am
Originally posted by ILGLEANER ILGLEANER wrote:

Ed,I pay what everyone charges me,and I sell for what everyone tells me.

Ain't that the truth! City people that I know will never understand that is how farming works. Question is why does it work that way?

Edited by Lonn - 21 Aug 2010 at 10:31am
-- --- .... .- -- -- .- -.. / .-- .- ... / .- / -- ..- .-. -.. . .-. .. -. --. / -.-. .... .. .-.. -.. / .-. .- .--. .. ... -
Wink
I am a Russian Bot
ILGLEANER View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ILGLEANER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2010 at 11:40am
Lonn,
 Everyone tries to justify what they charge,by we have to pay taxes ,workmanscomp,insurance and on and on. Guess what I do to,and still pay what they tell me and take what they give me. Those excuses dont fly with me. If it were my beans, They are 10.00 on the board the elevator is paying 9.75 because they can,thats what you get. If I were going into a shop to buy that pump. They say its 800.00 I give them 650.00 because that is what the local bid is. See how they like that on the other side .
                                                          IG

Edited by ILGLEANER - 21 Aug 2010 at 12:56pm
Education doesn't make you smart, it makes you educated.
JC-WI View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JC-WI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2010 at 11:42am
Because we are a bunch of dumb a88's that allow it to happen.
  Back in the 70's when everything was get bigger and get more efficient so you can produce food cheaper, farmers should have adjusted their plans to 10% less than what was plaanned and threw the rest of the seed in the manure pit.  Should have been satisfied with what they owned and not created surplusses. Now with all the gov involvments and foriegn trade with 4 day across the ocean with perishables we have to compete not only with north/south america but the world over. ... which means we give and we take what the big boys want us to have, (Cargill, conagra, general mills, monsanto, Tyson ...etc. The big business world players) They are in bed with the gov to have laws their way so they can make huge profits. We are the scum of the earth that grows what is needed to sustain life,, while THEY sell commodities. (going from looking at food as food to looking at it as something to make their wealth off of.
  And our goods we had to sell did not go up with the cost of inflation or the price of fuel or fertilizer or the cost of machinery.  Couple that with the stupid government people and we are in a sorry place... so is the rest of the country with no jobs and more taxes...and HUGE debts
CJohnS MI View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CJohnS MI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2010 at 12:23pm
Originally posted by JC(WI) JC(WI) wrote:

Because we are a bunch of dumb a88's that allow it to happen.
  Back in the 70's when everything was get bigger and get more efficient so you can produce food cheaper, farmers should have adjusted their plans to 10% less than what was plaanned and threw the rest of the seed in the manure pit.  Should have been satisfied with what they owned and not created surplusses. Now with all the gov involvments and foriegn trade with 4 day across the ocean with perishables we have to compete not only with north/south america but the world over. ... which means we give and we take what the big boys want us to have, (Cargill, conagra, general mills, monsanto, Tyson ...etc. The big business world players) They are in bed with the gov to have laws their way so they can make huge profits. We are the scum of the earth that grows what is needed to sustain life,, while THEY sell commodities. (going from looking at food as food to looking at it as something to make their wealth off of.
  And our goods we had to sell did not go up with the cost of inflation or the price of fuel or fertilizer or the cost of machinery.  Couple that with the stupid government people and we are in a sorry place... so is the rest of the country with no jobs and more taxes...and HUGE debts

Well, AMEN to that.

ILGLEANER View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ILGLEANER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2010 at 12:55pm
JC ,
 You are so right. And if farmers (as a whole) hear corn is going to get higher they plant more. How STUPID. There are people around here planting corn on corn. Cutting there own throat and not smart enough to know it. If there is a shortage of something,plant less of it and keep the price up! 2 years ago when prices started going up and usage was up. I honestly think if everyone would have stayed in there rotation,we would still have 5.00 corn to this day. Instead everyone planted more.
                                                      IG

firebrick43 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote firebrick43 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2010 at 3:13pm
The general commodity farmer is his own worse enemy. 

As far as shop rates.  85 is bad.  The shop I worked for charged 80 and didn't have the specialized test equipment of an injection shop.  People complained of the price but when asked why they didn't do it themselves or take it to the cheap shop down the road it was always "I can't" or "They screw up" 

I did well there but decided that the nicer facilities/enviroment, hours, and benefits were worth more than the pay so I went back to being a machinist at CAT. 

Talking about pumps, some of the newer common rail pumps have such fine clearances that they are assembled in clean rooms with people wearing white suits and airlocks to pass in and out of.  Wait 10 years until you have one of those babies rebuilt, then you really will be complaining. 
joshjohndeere View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joshjohndeere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2010 at 4:19pm
i hate to say it guys but we got way off track at trying to help this guy out with his hard starting problem, i am wondering if this gentleman has cleaned the screen on his sediment bowl and if the primer pum p is still plumbed in or has someone bypassed it?  if they have and used a hose is that collapsed.  i apologize for getting this whole post off track from the beggining, i would like to know what all has been done and what has been checked to try to find your problem???
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2010 at 4:30pm
Josh, thanks for the thoughts but yes the screen is gone from the sediment bowl, I have removed and cleaned and verified no more trash in the tank; I went as far as to replace the primer pump as it is handy for purging the fuel filter after replacement.  The engine runs fine other than a bit hard to start hot or cold, long or short time off, the power is good but tends to surge hard once in awhile especially when the traction boost is working.  Engine runs smooth except at mid throttle were it tends to be less than efficient at regulating fuel but is fine at the other ends of the range.  I have run the valves, checked for air sucking and just have eliminated to the injection pump.
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joshjohndeere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2010 at 2:08pm
welll it sounds like you have done your homework if i was u send the pump to ed, he seems to know his pumps from the sounds of it. maybe he can run it on his stand to verify the problem.  good luck and dont forget to change the pump shaft seals when u put it back on and dont roll them or you will have fuel in your oil.  hope swhe runs like a top.
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joshjohndeere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2010 at 2:11pm
mr miller
the only other thing i forgot to ask is have u pulled your injectors and had them testeed they will make it hard starting and also can cause it to hickup if the fuel isnt atomizing.
GBACBFan View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GBACBFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2010 at 4:13pm

If we don't like the economics of the business you're in, be it farming, retail, manufacturing, industrial, or whatever, we have the prerogative to get out and do something with payback more to your liking. It's still a free country, and nobody forces us to choose any one vocation over another. Life's way to short to be unhappy with our chosen field of work.

"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you can never know if they
are genuine." - Mark Twain
Clay View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2010 at 5:06pm
Nicely said
ILGLEANER View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ILGLEANER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2010 at 6:55pm

GBACB,

I am sure that your comment was directed at me. There is only one thing you are forgetting. If everyone decided to go for the money and stopped farming everyone would starve to death. Some of us have to stay on the farm and deal with things ,not run off to town and get a job with the benifits. I am sure it would be alot less stressful having someone pay half of my retirement,taxes and healthcare. But I would not be able to hold my head as high when I came through the door at night. I know every decision right or wrong is mine and I live and die by it.

IG

CJohnS MI View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CJohnS MI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2010 at 7:20pm
Originally posted by GBACBFan GBACBFan wrote:

If we don't like the economics of the business you're in, be it farming, retail, manufacturing, industrial, or whatever, we have the prerogative to get out and do something with payback more to your liking. It's still a free country, and nobody forces us to choose any one vocation over another. Life's way to short to be unhappy with our chosen field of work.

...because it deserves repeating. I'm going to print this, frame it, and hang it on the office wall where I have to look at it every day.

GBACBFan View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GBACBFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2010 at 7:24pm
My comment was a general one, but certainly fits your perspective. Because raising grain was your choice, it's unfair to expect that other businesses should function in the same " I sell for what everyone tells me" market circumstance you are in, or to complain because their method of marketing products and services is different than how grain is marketed. That's how your business worked when you got into it, so I'm assuming you went into it with your eyes wide open.

That isn't how the free market system for product and service markets are structured, nor have ever been structured. The merchant totals and evaluates all costs, establishes the required profit to succeed in business, and establishes the selling price he feels he needs to be successful. If you don't like what a merchant charges, you have the choice to buy products and services elsewhere. In a free market, you are not forced to go where you don't want to for these products or services. Whether free market business costs and burdens "fly with you" or not, that's how they work.
"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you can never know if they
are genuine." - Mark Twain
ILGLEANER View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ILGLEANER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2010 at 8:55pm

LOL !!!!!!!! your a joke you have no clue how farming has changed over the last 25 years. At least be a man and say you were aiming it at me.  Your welcome the next time you fill your belly.

IG

injpumpEd View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote injpumpEd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2010 at 9:10pm
I cannot believe how much this gentleman's thread about repairing/diagnosing his tractor has become a b!tch session! I am embarrassed to be part of it, but still feel like I can help this guy. you'd think this was pulloff or something. I will not run a used pump on the test stand without dis-assembling it to at least clean it, and make sure it's worthy. I don't know of anyone who works on the old diesel pumps like the early tracklayers had. by the way, well said GB!
210 "too hot to farm" puller, part of the "insane pumpkin posse". Owner of Guenther Heritage Diesel, specializing in fuel injection systems on heritage era tractors. stock rebuilds to all out pullers!
Brian Jasper co. Ia View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian Jasper co. Ia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2010 at 9:44pm
Ed, have you ever talked with or heard of Dave Ferguson in Austin Mn? Seems like I remember reading about him restoring an A-O and either getting lucky and/or finding someone to make parts to repair it's DECO pump. He definitely knows the PSB pump well.
"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian." Henry Ford
injpumpEd View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote injpumpEd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2010 at 6:25am
can't say I have Brian. The biggest problem we run into with PSB's is the parts are so scarce/expensive. We have had to send hydraulic heads out to be re-built, and it can take several months. most recent was a PSJ for an Oliver 2150.
210 "too hot to farm" puller, part of the "insane pumpkin posse". Owner of Guenther Heritage Diesel, specializing in fuel injection systems on heritage era tractors. stock rebuilds to all out pullers!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic