This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Allis 7050 will not move.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blue Yonder Farm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Allis 7050 will not move.
    Posted: 23 Oct 2016 at 12:03pm
Our 7050 engine runs great. All fluids are full. We were unloading Hay with it and the darn thing quit moving. No snaps, no groans, just quit moving.

Goes into each gear fine. I got my Allen wrench out and Checked the clamp above the right rear wheel. That is tight. Getting ready to pull up the floor plate in the cab.

Assuming it is more complicated than we can fix in our small home shop. We plan to remove the loader and the cab before we take it into the one and only local tractor repair shop that charges $180 per labor hour plus parts.

What other trouble shooting can we do at home to narrow down the problem?
Sponsored Links

Tcmtech View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tcmtech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2016 at 12:09pm

If you lost all your hydraulics, steering and PTO operation as well I would suspect that the torque limiter that transfers power from the engine to the drive train let go.  

If so a tractor split and rather large shop bill that may be worth more than the tractor is is on your way. Censored

victoryallis View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote victoryallis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2016 at 12:12pm
Research torque limiter.   

My 7580 suddenly stopped moving ended up losing the tranny input shaft.
8030 and 8050MFWD, 7580, 3 6080's, 160, 7060, 175, heirloom D17, Deere 8760
Blue Yonder Farm View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blue Yonder Farm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2016 at 12:23pm
All the Hydraulics work fine. The tractor just will not move forward or backward.
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blue Yonder Farm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2016 at 12:24pm
And the stearing is fine. Front wheels turn left and right no problem.
Lynn Marshall View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lynn Marshall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2016 at 12:25pm
Regardless of the problem, I don't see any reason to remove the cab. Does the 1800 rpm pressure light work and if so, is it on? Buttons hanging up in the floor board? High or low range both?
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blue Yonder Farm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2016 at 12:33pm
Pressure lights work and are not on. No the floor board button is not hung up. and does not work in High or Low range.

Reason for taking the cab off before it goes to the shop is that it needs removed to split the tractor anyway. The shop charges $180 a labor hour and every hour of work we do is worth it.
Dans 7080 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dans 7080 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2016 at 12:37pm
The cab does no need to be removed to split the tractor at the torque limiter.
When someone tells you Nothings Impossible, Tell them to slam a revolving door
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blue Yonder Farm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2016 at 12:43pm
That is good News. Looking at the manual right now trying to figure out how to access it to see if that is the problem.
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blue Yonder Farm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2016 at 12:45pm
Tho as I read and research torque limiter over 3/4 of the comments are that the tractor needs split to replace it...
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blue Yonder Farm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2016 at 1:08pm
And in conformation of needing the tractor split for repair of the Torque Limiter is Paragraph 75 page 34 of the repair Manuel. To split the tractor the cab must be removed.

But still the hydraulics and steering work, would this not be an indication it is not the Torque Limiter?
Orange Blood View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Orange Blood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2016 at 1:24pm
Trust us 'shade tree' folks, the cab doesn't have to come off, even for a full trans removal and rebuild.  Yes, some mounting bolts have to come off, but the cab does not need to be removed.  I am concerned that you have something other than a torque limiter problem however, given your hydros still work.  Does the Steering work, when the tractor is in gear and the clutch released? 

Edited by Orange Blood - 23 Oct 2016 at 1:25pm
Still in use:
HD7 WC C CA WD 2-WD45 WD45LP WD45D D14 3-D17 D17LP 2-D19D D19LP 190XTD 190XTLP 720 D21 220 7020 7030 7040 7045 3-7060
Projects: 3-U UC 2-G 2-B 2-C CA 7-WC RC WDLP WF D14 D21 210 7045 N7
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blue Yonder Farm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2016 at 2:07pm
Yes the steering works fine.
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blue Yonder Farm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2016 at 2:10pm
I would like to narrow the trouble down as far as possible so the local Tractor shop does not shaft us. They have a reputation of less than stellar repute. But are the only choice for 2-4 hours in all directions.
7060 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 7060 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2016 at 3:29pm
I'll place my bet on the splines being stripped on the power director clutch hub. You still split it in the same place at the torque limiter. Drain the transmission oil and take the 3/8" bolts out around the front of the transmission. The whole power director will slide out, and I almost bet when you pull the snap ring off the shaft and pull it out you will find pieces of spline from the hub. I think Dr Allis said the 7030/7050 tractors didn't get any lube there when assembled. I've been putting moly paste on the splines of every one I split now.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lynn Marshall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2016 at 4:18pm
With the engine running, clutch pedal up, can you shift gears without grinding?
Tcmtech View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tcmtech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2016 at 4:33pm
Originally posted by Blue Yonder Farm Blue Yonder Farm wrote:

I would like to narrow the trouble down as far as possible so the local Tractor shop does not shaft us. They have a reputation of less than stellar repute. But are the only choice for 2-4 hours in all directions.

At $180 an hour you're already getting shafted unless the mechanics make $60+ an hour themselves. Which I doubt. Angry

I'm new to the AC driveline issues as well but from what i have found on the online service manuals exploded views I would agree with the input shaft to power director  assy being the next plausible problem.  

The cable for the High/low gearset shift didn't come apart and let it slide into the neutral position between  the two did it?  

Edited by Tcmtech - 23 Oct 2016 at 4:36pm
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blue Yonder Farm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2016 at 9:08pm
Originally posted by Lynn Marshall Lynn Marshall wrote:

With the engine running, clutch pedal up, can you shift gears without grinding?

Yes it will shift clutch up or down.
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blue Yonder Farm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2016 at 9:09pm
Originally posted by Tcmtech Tcmtech wrote:

The cable for the High/low gearset shift didn't come apart and let it slide into the neutral position between  the two did it?  

How will I check that?
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blue Yonder Farm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2016 at 9:14pm
I found the cable for the High Low gear. That is the one I took an Allen wrench to already. It is fine
Acfarm View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Acfarm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2016 at 9:22pm
Stripped splines in the Power Director hub are very likely, especially if it has never been apart before. Do you have any history on the tractor?

We had all the rear differential bolts snap one time on our 7060. Causes same symptoms. That is a longer shot though. 

~Warren
Michael V (NM) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Michael V (NM) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2016 at 9:43pm
Damn,at $180/ hr I'd drive or haul aong ways..no matter what the problem is, or really try an do all I could myself, gotta be someone more reasonable, most shops I know of are $120, an I think they're way to much...
Get in touch with JERRY KS he's on here, and at Johnson ks,no longer affiliated with agco, but knows his stuff about AC and can haul to
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blue Yonder Farm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2016 at 10:18pm
We can haul it about three hours in any direction but that falls short about two hours of getting it to a different shop that will work on AC. The more I can narrow down the problem the smarter I will sound when I go to the shop and the less they will toy with me. I thank you all for the great feedback! Keep it coming please
B26240 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote B26240 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2016 at 6:27am
Maybe you could find a neighbor with a big enough shop and pay him some rent, then with the help of these guys here I bet you could fix it yourself.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lynn Marshall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2016 at 7:16am
Sure sounds like striped splines in the power director hub to me.
injpumpEd View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote injpumpEd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2016 at 7:35am
I still can't get over $180/hr! Looks to me like a great place to open a shop. Someone's been raping the customers with no competition to keep them in line! The sad part is they don't even sound like they are good! Just ridiculous. I'd much rather sleep nights knowing that I'm as fair in my pricing as practical. I'll never get rich doing what I do, but all my bills get paid. That's good enough for me!
210 "too hot to farm" puller, part of the "insane pumpkin posse". Owner of Guenther Heritage Diesel, specializing in fuel injection systems on heritage era tractors. stock rebuilds to all out pullers!
7060 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 7060 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2016 at 8:16am
If you thought you could take the cab off yourself you can split it. As long as it's flat it's even been done in a rock driveway before although it's not as fun. Just build or buy a set of splitting stands preferably with wheels on them, but can be bolted solid to the frame straight to the floor. Hardest part is unhooking lines and hoses, and having someone help roll the front end away. You can probably find a power director unit to slide back in, but if you feel up to it while it's apart I would reseal it. If you take the torque limiter out while your apart make sure you slip it when you get it together again or it will take your splines out again.

Edited by 7060 - 24 Oct 2016 at 8:17am
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2016 at 8:35am
Originally posted by 7060 7060 wrote:

If you take the torque limiter out while your apart make sure you slip it when you get it together again or it will take your splines out again.

Can you elaborate on this please?
7060 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 7060 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2016 at 9:20am
The torque limiter has to be completely centered or else it will eat the splines off between the input shaft and clutch hub. You can have the torque limiter close enough to center to get the tractor slid back together, but by spinning it it will center itself. After its all back together put it in high range in a higher gear and let out on the clutch with you foot on both brakes. It should slip without killing the engine. The service manual explains this.
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blue Yonder Farm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2016 at 9:59am
Yes I was reading the Manuel and it does explain how to center the torque limiter.

I stopped by the shop and they estimated $4k as the base for replacing the power director hub of that is what is wrong with it. The last IF was with a tone.

You all are right about the shop. They have not had any competition for 70 years and there is really no hope of ever getting another shop open here.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic