This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Garden Tractors
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Briggs won"t fire

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnCO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Briggs won"t fire
    Posted: 23 Dec 2015 at 1:54pm
I picked up a Simplicity 8 horse walk behind tractor yesterday that was owned by a friend who passed away over a year ago.  His widow finally decided she would never use it but hated to lose something her husband enjoyed.  It has set outside for almost two years.  I brought it in the shop and messed around with it a bit, pulled the spark plug and turned it over, no spark.  took the cover off the points and they didn't look real clean so took them off and filed them a bit.  Putting them back on I may have messed up the gap adjustment screw as it looks like the nut is broken from the rest of the brass piece between the points and engine block.  How are the points adjusted?  I cranked it over (rope starter) several times but couldn't see a spark either at the points or plug.  Any ideas? Thanks in advance.
"If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer"
Allis Express participant
Sponsored Links

ac fleet View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac fleet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2015 at 5:37pm
be sure to clean the flywheel magnets and the coil legs too!---coil ,condenser, and points may be bad!
I run into that a lot on these engines! thanks; ac fleet
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic