![]() |
This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity. | |||||
| The Forum | Parts and Services | Unofficial Allis Store | Tractor Shows | Serial Numbers | History | |
Truck oil change |
Post Reply
|
| Author | |
ACinSC
Orange Level
Joined: 16 Dec 2015 Location: South Carolina Points: 3380 |
Post Options
Thanks(0)
Quote Reply
Topic: Truck oil changePosted: 11 hours 45 minutes ago at 5:55am |
|
Did my truck yesterday
I'm 73 and had both knees replaced. Plan to keep doing my own oil changes as long as I can, but I'm beginning to think it won't be much longer. Any thoughts? Thanks |
|
![]() |
|
| Sponsored Links | |
![]() |
|
sho-man1
Bronze Level Access
Joined: 14 Sep 2009 Location: Wylie, TX Points: 198 |
Post Options
Thanks(0)
Quote Reply
Posted: 10 hours 40 minutes ago at 7:00am |
|
I like to use the shop vac for assistance when pulling the oil pan drain plug.
I place the catch pan under the drain plug, loosen the plug, place the shop-vac pickup hose onto the oil fill port on the valve cover, turn the vac on. Remove the drain plug then shut the vacuum off. Hands get no oil on them and no splash into the catch pan. The Ford 7.3 has over 15 quarts of oil, so I don't like to spill any.
|
|
![]() |
|
DrAllis
Orange Level Access
Joined: 12 Sep 2009 Points: 23573 |
Post Options
Thanks(0)
Quote Reply
Posted: 8 hours 43 minutes ago at 8:57am |
|
Four post hoist. Drive vehicle on. Raise up. Drain oil and change filter. Let down and fill with oil. Never have to bend over or get down on your knees. Problem solved.
|
|
![]() |
|
steve(ill)
Orange Level Access
Joined: 11 Sep 2009 Location: illinois Points: 93261 |
Post Options
Thanks(0)
Quote Reply
Posted: 8 hours 31 minutes ago at 9:09am |
|
i still do the truck and car at 73 years old... Got both original knees ... but YES, it is begining to be a chore to "get back up" when you laying on the ground..
|
|
|
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
|
|
![]() |
|
JW in MO
Orange Level
Joined: 16 Feb 2010 Location: Mid Central MO Points: 2734 |
Post Options
Thanks(0)
Quote Reply
Posted: 7 hours 21 minutes ago at 10:19am |
|
I'm 69, still do my truck, all original parts, however, left knee and hip aren't as limber as before. Send the wife to the dealership with her car, too low to the ground, even on ramps, and I'm out of the crosshairs if it isn't done in her timeframe.
|
|
|
Maximum use of available resources!
|
|
![]() |
|
ACinSC
Orange Level
Joined: 16 Dec 2015 Location: South Carolina Points: 3380 |
Post Options
Thanks(0)
Quote Reply
Posted: 7 hours 8 minutes ago at 10:32am |
|
15 quarts! That's a lot, good idea with the shop vac. My truck holds 8 quarts. Dr Allis,a lift sure would be sweet. Thanks guys
|
|
![]() |
|
Les Kerf
Orange Level
Joined: 08 May 2020 Location: Idaho Points: 1922 |
Post Options
Thanks(0)
Quote Reply
Posted: 6 hours 40 minutes ago at 11:00am |
|
I have been installing Fumoto quick drain valves on my vehicles; they don't help with the problem of old age and bad knees but they do minimize the time and effort underneath the rig. Plus, I can slip a hose over the valve and direct the stream to reduce splashing. I like to drain the oil while hot and let it drip over night. |
|
![]() |
|
DMiller
Orange Level Access
Joined: 14 Sep 2009 Location: Hermann, Mo Points: 36631 |
Post Options
Thanks(0)
Quote Reply
Posted: 5 hours 50 minutes ago at 11:50am |
|
Our KW I equipped with Quick Drains, flip a Locking handle and it Drains, my old 7.3 also 15 quarts I can still access under I also change as do the Deere 2305 and my 180. Old Impala, Tire shop with Post Lift, tires rotation inspect brakes and oil change cheap as to mess! Wife’s Explorer same shop. He had a Clients SUV in the other day, adds 1/2hr charge to Drop the Splash Pan to access engine, new crap, NOT buying!!
|
|
![]() |
|
plummerscarin
Orange Level Access
Joined: 22 Jun 2015 Location: ia Points: 4369 |
Post Options
Thanks(0)
Quote Reply
Posted: 5 hours 48 minutes ago at 11:52am |
YEP!! No regrets getting one. Add to that a catch can on wheels to roll under the drain plug, raise the funnel and no mess. The can has an air fitting so I can pressurize it to unload into my cousins waste oil furnace barrel |
|
![]() |
|
Hubert (Ga)engine7
Orange Level
Joined: 12 Sep 2009 Location: Jackson Cnty,GA Points: 6685 |
Post Options
Thanks(0)
Quote Reply
Posted: 5 hours 24 minutes ago at 12:16pm |
That is the way to go if you are doing your own oil changes or doing it for others. Wish I had a place here where I could put in a lift. Since I am old, fat and lazy I have been taking my vehicles to the local tire shop for a number of years. I furnish the oil and filter and they do the labor along with checking the brakes and tires.
|
|
|
Just an old country boy saved by the grace of God.
|
|
![]() |
|
ACinSC
Orange Level
Joined: 16 Dec 2015 Location: South Carolina Points: 3380 |
Post Options
Thanks(0)
Quote Reply
Posted: 5 hours 19 minutes ago at 12:21pm |
|
Looks like a good idea Les. I did crawl under my truck only to realize I'd left the plug on my bench !! Thanks guys
|
|
![]() |
|
Kenny L.
Orange Level Access
Joined: 12 Sep 2009 Location: NEIOWA Points: 1433 |
Post Options
Thanks(0)
Quote Reply
Posted: 3 hours 39 minutes ago at 2:01pm |
|
Grandson does my oil changes on the lawn mowers, tractors and the pickup, but mamas goes to the dealership.
|
|
![]() |
|
DiyDave
Orange Level Access
Joined: 11 Sep 2009 Location: Gambrills, MD Points: 56058 |
Post Options
Thanks(0)
Quote Reply
Posted: 2 hours 16 minutes ago at 3:24pm |
|
I do mine with a oil sucker, like they use on boats. It goes in through the dipstick, you don't have to pull the plug, there's generally only 1/2 cup or so left in the pan. Every other change, I do take the plug out, just to get it all out, once in a while...
|
|
|
Source: Babylon Bee. Sponsored by BRAWNDO, its got what you need!
|
|
![]() |
|
Post Reply
|
|
|
Tweet
|
| Forum Jump | Forum Permissions ![]() You cannot post new topics in this forum You cannot reply to topics in this forum You cannot delete your posts in this forum You cannot edit your posts in this forum You cannot create polls in this forum You cannot vote in polls in this forum |