This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  New Posts New Posts
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login


Truck oil change

 Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message
ACinSC View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level


Joined: 16 Dec 2015
Location: South Carolina
Points: 3380
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACinSC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Truck oil change
    Posted: 7 hours 16 minutes ago at 5:55am
Did my truck yesterday
I'm 73 and had both knees replaced. Plan to keep doing my own oil changes as long as I can, but I'm beginning to think it won't be much longer. Any thoughts? Thanks
Back to Top
Sponsored Links


Back to Top
sho-man1 View Drop Down
Bronze Level Access
Bronze Level Access


Joined: 14 Sep 2009
Location: Wylie, TX
Points: 198
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sho-man1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6 hours 11 minutes ago at 7:00am
I like to use the shop vac for assistance when pulling the oil pan drain plug.
I place the catch pan under the drain plug, loosen the plug, place the shop-vac pickup hose onto the oil fill port on the valve cover, turn the vac on. Remove the drain plug then shut the vacuum off. Hands get no oil on them and no splash into the catch pan.  The Ford 7.3 has over 15 quarts of oil, so I don't like to spill any.
Back to Top
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access


Joined: 12 Sep 2009
Points: 23573
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4 hours 14 minutes ago at 8:57am
Four post hoist. Drive vehicle on. Raise up. Drain oil and change filter. Let down and fill with oil. Never have to bend over or get down on your knees. Problem solved.
Back to Top
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access
Avatar

Joined: 11 Sep 2009
Location: illinois
Points: 93261
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4 hours 2 minutes ago at 9:09am
i still do the truck and car at 73 years old... Got both original knees ... but YES, it is begining to be a chore to "get back up" when you laying on the ground..
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
Back to Top
JW in MO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level
Avatar

Joined: 16 Feb 2010
Location: Mid Central MO
Points: 2734
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JW in MO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2 hours 52 minutes ago at 10:19am
I'm 69, still do my truck, all original parts, however, left knee and hip aren't as limber as before.  Send the wife to the dealership with her car, too low to the ground, even on ramps, and I'm out of the crosshairs if it isn't done in her timeframe.
Maximum use of available resources!
Back to Top
ACinSC View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level


Joined: 16 Dec 2015
Location: South Carolina
Points: 3380
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACinSC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2 hours 39 minutes ago at 10:32am
15 quarts! That's a lot, good idea with the shop vac. My truck holds 8 quarts. Dr Allis,a lift sure would be sweet. Thanks guys
Back to Top
Les Kerf View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level


Joined: 08 May 2020
Location: Idaho
Points: 1922
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Les Kerf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2 hours 11 minutes ago at 11:00am
I have been installing Fumoto quick drain valves on my vehicles; they don't help with the problem of old age and bad knees but they do minimize the time and effort underneath the rig. Plus, I can slip a hose over the valve and direct the stream to reduce splashing. I like to drain the oil while hot and let it drip over night.

Back to Top
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access


Joined: 14 Sep 2009
Location: Hermann, Mo
Points: 36631
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1 hour 21 minutes ago at 11:50am
Our KW I equipped with Quick Drains, flip a Locking handle and it Drains, my old 7.3 also 15 quarts I can still access under I also change as do the Deere 2305 and my 180. Old Impala, Tire shop with Post Lift, tires rotation inspect brakes and oil change cheap as to mess! Wife’s Explorer same shop. He had a Clients SUV in the other day, adds 1/2hr charge to Drop the Splash Pan to access engine, new crap, NOT buying!!
Back to Top
plummerscarin View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access


Joined: 22 Jun 2015
Location: ia
Points: 4369
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote plummerscarin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1 hour 19 minutes ago at 11:52am
Originally posted by DrAllis DrAllis wrote:

Four post hoist. Drive vehicle on. Raise up. Drain oil and change filter. Let down and fill with oil. Never have to bend over or get down on your knees. Problem solved.

YEP!! No regrets getting one. Add to that a catch can on wheels to roll under the drain plug, raise the funnel and no mess. The can has an air fitting so I can pressurize it to unload into my cousins waste oil furnace barrel
Back to Top
Hubert (Ga)engine7 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level
Avatar

Joined: 12 Sep 2009
Location: Jackson Cnty,GA
Points: 6685
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hubert (Ga)engine7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 55 minutes ago at 12:16pm
Originally posted by DrAllis DrAllis wrote:

Four post hoist. Drive vehicle on. Raise up. Drain oil and change filter. Let down and fill with oil. Never have to bend over or get down on your knees. Problem solved.

That is the way to go if you are doing your own oil changes or doing it for others. Wish I had a place here where I could put in a lift. Since I am old, fat and lazy I have been taking my vehicles to the local tire shop for a number of years. I furnish the oil and filter and they do the labor along with checking the brakes and tires. 
Just an old country boy saved by the grace of God.
Back to Top
ACinSC View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level


Joined: 16 Dec 2015
Location: South Carolina
Points: 3380
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACinSC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 50 minutes ago at 12:21pm
Looks like a good idea Les. I did crawl under my truck only to realize I'd left the plug on my bench !! Thanks guys
Back to Top
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic   

Forum Jump Forum Permissions View Drop Down

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.10
Copyright ©2001-2017 Web Wiz Ltd.

This page was generated in 0.051 seconds.


Help Support the
Unofficial Allis Forum