This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Best way to repair stripped out 7/8" threads

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CaseyCreek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Best way to repair stripped out 7/8" threads
    Posted: 05 Sep 2020 at 9:01pm
(Details.  The actual question is at the bottom.)
I didn't start this problem, but I have to admit that I finished the damage.  I bought a Ford 7700 and I have used it for about five years.  Great tractor, even if it isn't orange.  The problem is that one of the bolts which hold in the sway blocks pulled out and took the threads with it.  There is no way to just screw the bolt back in to the original hole.

The bolt is 7/8"-9 x 3" and it goes up in to the chassis of the tractor.  I don't have a picture of the bolt location, but in the video I am posting, the bolt is just behind the play button on the link.  On my tractor, the bolts attach to chains which prevent the lift arms from swinging around.  One of the bolts is still attached and giving no problems.

[TUBE]dY9oXtih_5g[/TUBE]

(The question)
Basically, what is the pilot hole size for the next size up from a 7/8"-9 thread? Should I punt on this one and let a local machine shop do the work? 

D17 Series III,D17 Series IV, 185
Sponsored Links

steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2020 at 9:27pm
One common fix is to use a thread insert repair kit... I have done a couple on the B final drive case that you mount the draw bar loop to.

You drill out the hole to ( lets say) 1-1/8 inch and thread it.... then you LOCITITE a threaded sleeve into the hole that is 1-1/8 OD and 7/8 inch ID... Back to original size... 

another way is to rethread the 7/8 hole to 1 inch and use a NEW bolt.
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2020 at 9:29pm
CaseyCreek View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CaseyCreek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2020 at 9:44pm

I had looked up a helicoil repair kit and it was going to set me back over $200.  For that much money, I thought I could probably take it to a local machine shop.  We are lucky enough to have a good one a few miles away.

I looked at the repair kit you posted with the link from amazon.  At $95, the price is now getting within range of trying it myself.  Thanks. 

As to drilling out a 3" deep hole to 1" in solid metal with a hand-held drill, I don't trust myself to do that yet.  If I could pull that off, the end product would probably be stronger than new, though.
Tracy Martin TN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tracy Martin TN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2020 at 10:22pm
Casey, Helicoil is the route to go. I don't know which bolt hole it is. Can it be drilled using a magnetic base drill? I have done hundreds of them of various sizes and locations. Post a pic of hole and its location. Thanks Tracy
No greater gift than healthy grandkids!
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2020 at 10:28pm
get sum dog chain and a short tarp strap, wrap it around the lower lift arms, when hooking up something the tarp strap will stretch enough to hook up. have used this on most all my tractors for years.
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2020 at 6:33am
hmm... does this bolt hole go INTO the casting far ? drilling it ,might go too far , and oopsy... you found gold, black gold, Texas tea ?????
I KNOW what happens to D14 rockshaft PTO cover holes if bolts are too long....

maybe you could just weld/braze a nut onto the casting? It seems there wouldn't be a lot of stress on it( sway chain ) ??

just trying to think of options not seeing it in person.

Jay
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
Jim.ME View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim.ME Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2020 at 6:54am
7/8" is the tap drill for 1"-8 NC thread.  59/64" tap drill for 1"-12 NF.

Here is a Starrett chart.

DougG View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DougG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2020 at 7:18am
If that metal is as easy as drilling on an Allis it will be a breese, seems it's low grade stuff, I'd be careful not to go to deep as Jay mentioned but I think back there it's out of the oil housing
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2020 at 7:57am
There are several thread repairs of different designs available to do this good. Trouble is, most of them need a lot of meat around the hole to work. Drill the hole oversize and install a one inch bolt and Loctite it.
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2020 at 8:24am

Hey Jim.ME,,,I made me a copy of your link to post above my lathe,,,,
 THANKS,,!!!ClapClap
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2020 at 8:37am
If your 7/8 bolt is stripped out , your not too far from the root diameter of a 1 inch NC bolt.. Use a small drill with very little horse power.. Get a drill bit turned down on the end to fit the smaller drill ( 3/8 inch)... Just go slow and round out the hole.. Your only taking out 1/16 of an inch or so.... Why 3 inches deep?  A 1 inch bolt only needs to go in 1-1/4 inch to get strength. 
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2020 at 8:40am
you could even take a 1 inch stud and turn the outside part back to 7/8 NC and thread it... Screw the 1 inch stud in 1-1/2 inch with loctite, and let the 7/8 end outside be the original size.
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CaseyCreek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2020 at 9:21am
Originally posted by steve(ill) steve(ill) wrote:

Your only taking out 1/16 of an inch or so.... Why 3 inches deep?  A 1 inch bolt only needs to go in 1-1/4 inch to get strength. 

The three inches is the current depth of the bolt hole.  I was just duplicating the factory measurements.  I really do appreciate the help on this, btw.  I have rethreaded stuff for years, but this one is outside of my experience.
thendrix View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thendrix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2020 at 12:45pm
Easy way to figure trap drill size is OD - thread pitch. For example, 1"-8 the has a .125 (1/8") thread pitch. You figure this by 1" divided by 8 thread which equals .125. 1 minus .125 equals .875 or 7/8. Works the same for metric but metric threads give you the pitch without having to divided 1 by the threads per inch.
"Farming is a business that makes a Las Vegas craps table look like a regular paycheck" Ronald Reagan
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2020 at 3:50pm
yeesh, 3" deep thread hole !! If it's ONLY used for the sway chain, maybe fill with JBWeld ,then drill and tap. I just can't see a sway chain needing 3" x 7/8" bolt to secure it.
Maybe I'm missing something ??
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2020 at 7:09pm
Originally posted by jaybmiller jaybmiller wrote:

yeesh, 3" deep thread hole !! If it's ONLY used for the sway chain, maybe fill with JBWeld ,then drill and tap. I just can't see a sway chain needing 3" x 7/8" bolt to secure it.
Maybe I'm missing something ??

Don't matter how big the bolt is, there is always the loose nut behind the wheel, that can break an anvil with a feather...Wink

You've already got a 7/8" hole drilled, 3" deep.  Just take the right sized bit, for the thread you want to make, and hand drill it, with an old slow speed 1/2" drill, and the proper sized bit for the bolt or heli-coil you are putting in.  Most taps have the size of the drill you need, printed right on the side.  With a Heli-coil, the bit is usually included in the kit!  If you get it a degree or 2 off  true, it aint that critical, to make any kind of difference, anyway!WinkWink
Source: Babylon Bee. Sponsored by BRAWNDO, its got what you need!
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2020 at 9:11pm
im starting to wonder if you could take a 7/8 stud and smear JB weld all over one end and screw / pound it into the hole and let it dry..... If the load is not that great, the stud sticking out should be able to anchor the chain with no problem... i think epoxy or JB weld should hold that load.

Edited by steve(ill) - 06 Sep 2020 at 9:16pm
Fred in Pa View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fred in Pa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2020 at 6:35am
I would never even think of JB Weld for a repair like this .Fix it right. 
He who dies with the most toys is,
nonetheless ,still dead.
If all else fails ,Read all that is PRINTED.
Sugarmaker View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2020 at 7:03am
my two cents also, I would carefully drill the damaged hole out with a hand held drill to the 1 inch coarse thread size. You will need a stepped down bit for that. You local shop may have the tooling. Going the full 3 inches deep to clean up. Hand tap the 1 inch thread. Drill the mating component clearance hole out to 1 1/16 inch, Get a good Grade 5 bolt to replace the 7/8 fastener that broke pulled out the thread. 
For some reason this threaded connection failed? was it over loaded or was it loose and wore out from use? 
Good luck with your repair.
That is a good tractor, Having this repaired will allow you to sleep better too!Smile
Regards,
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 07 Sep 2020 at 7:07am
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
Clay View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2020 at 8:26am
One of the best heli-coil type inserts are the ones sold by CAT.
ocharry View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ocharry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2020 at 9:21am
hi Casey,,,hey im pretty sure i have a 7/8 drill with a 1/2 shank,,,that is the tap drill for a 1" bolt,,,,and i am also pretty sure i have a 1"-8 tap ,,,

so if i do,,, i could send them to you to use,,,,and when you are finished you could send them back to me,,,,i probably also have a fine thread set too,,,but i need to look and see,,,,pretty sure i do have the 1"-8 tap and i know i have a short 7/8 with a 1/2" shank drill

reason i mentioned fine thread it will be easier to turn and make threads in the hole,,,,a 1" tap will need a big wrench

that hole is already to size mostly,,,just needs cleaned up and made some kind of round again,,,then put a tap in there and threads will be back but next size up

and old trick is to use good old crisko (showing my age here,,,lol),,for lube on the tap,,,,but if you have or can find some stuff called tap-ezz it works good too,,,im sure there are other specialty tapping lubes out there too

just me trying to help out some

ocharry

Edited by ocharry - 07 Sep 2020 at 9:23am
chaskaduo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chaskaduo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2020 at 11:04am
You're a mighty fine man Oil Can. Thumbs Up
1938 B, 79 Dynamark 11/36 6spd, 95 Weed-Eater 16hp, 2010 Bolens 14hp
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CaseyCreek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2020 at 3:53pm
Originally posted by ocharry ocharry wrote:

hi Casey,,,hey im pretty sure i have a 7/8 drill with a 1/2 shank,,,that is the tap drill for a 1" bolt,,,,and i am also pretty sure i have a 1"-8 tap ,,,

so if i do,,, i could send them to you to use,,,,and when you are finished you could send them back to me,,,,i probably also have a fine thread set too,,,but i need to look and see,,,,pretty sure i do have the 1"-8 tap and i know i have a short 7/8 with a 1/2" shank drill

reason i mentioned fine thread it will be easier to turn and make threads in the hole,,,,a 1" tap will need a big wrench

that hole is already to size mostly,,,just needs cleaned up and made some kind of round again,,,then put a tap in there and threads will be back but next size up

I can't thank you enough for the offer, but I have a decent set of drills and a tap and die set.  I just haven't ever worked anything this big before where I couldn't put it what I am working with on a bench.

I think I am going to try and drill the hole out for a 1" bolt instead of using a heli coil. 

Edited by CaseyCreek - 07 Sep 2020 at 4:02pm
DougG View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DougG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2020 at 3:54pm
That JB Weld fix comment was way out there- gotta wonder what thoughts are elsewhere
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2020 at 4:59pm
I somewhat support Steve’s jb weld suggestion, though I would use ....I can’t remember the number...it’s a green loctite industrial adhesive. We use it at work to bond a workpiece to an arbor for hi precision high torque specialized machining processes. You can snap the steel driver off before that stuff breaks loose in the hole / arbor.

If it should happen to fail, the option to fix it with a drill and tap is still there.

Edited by Tbone95 - 07 Sep 2020 at 5:02pm
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2020 at 5:24pm
i posted the JB weld comment to get some discussion and more input... I do not know the EXACT purpose of that bolt, but i though he said it was to hold the side movement plate and chain.. I dont know why the bolt would be 7/8 inch diameter. Maybe the load is greater than i think....

Look at it this way... The hole is now about 1 inch diameter.. or about 3 inch circumference.. He said the hole is 3 inches deep... Lets assume we shove the stud in 2 inches... 2 inches x 3 inches is 6 SQUARE INCHES of surface area between the stud and the hole bore... if the Epoxy or JB weld has a SHEER strength of 2000 psi, then 2000 x 6 is 12,000 POUNDS that the stud could hold before the epoxy RIPPED out..

Is there 12,000 pounds of load on that bolt ?  I though maybe NO.. but again, why is the bolt 7/8 inch diameter ?  My "guess" would be that a 5/8 inch bolt would be enough to hold the chain and block ?   What did i miss ?
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2020 at 5:26pm
I have used high strength epoxy to glue 1/2 inch studs into concrete holes drilled 4 inches deep.... if you put a puller on that stud and pull, you will bust a chunk of concrete 6 inches in diameter out ( a couple TONS load), before the epoxy will let go.

Edited by steve(ill) - 07 Sep 2020 at 5:27pm
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2020 at 5:38pm
Common problem, with all bolts that point up, is that they tend to loosen, from side loading.  Now you have a chain attached to it, connected to the lower 3 point arms, you get a swing, an impact, and viola, the bolt starts loosening.  In any case, I'd put lock-tite on it, no matter what/how you replace it.  A perfect example of this movement is AC's D-series factory 3 point hitches, which install with 3 up-threading bolts, they loosen, then shear the bolt(s) off, if not watched...

Remember, also, don't turn with a rigidly mounted implement, in the down position...Wink
Source: Babylon Bee. Sponsored by BRAWNDO, its got what you need!
tadams(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2020 at 2:15pm
Was the bolt 3" long that went in it ? If the hole is 3" deep and the bolt was there is probably good threads still in there that if a guy ran a tap in and cleaned up you could put a longer bolt in and not have to redrill.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic