This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Max 8070 hp

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote victoryallis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Max 8070 hp
    Posted: 26 Jul 2017 at 9:27pm
What is the maximum horsepower that a 8070 could put to the ground? Doubt I could get enough to pull my finisher but curious. Talking fwa with good radial duals and a 8.3 Cummins under the hood. I'm sure the drivetrain has its limits.
8030 and 8050MFWD, 7580, 3 6080's, 160, 7060, 175, heirloom D17, Deere 8760
Sponsored Links

SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2017 at 11:35pm
...yes....we are all looking at you a little cross eyed and not answering...
victoryallis View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote victoryallis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2017 at 5:39am
Here's more to the story.   My articulated FW30 Ford needs to leave. Wondering how much I could harness out of a MFWD 8000 series to try to avoid the pitfalls of a articulated tractor. Thinking the 8.3 since its no secret the 426 has reliability issues when it's pushed to the very max. I have an 8030 now and really like it toying with big brother on steroids.
Kcgrain View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kcgrain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2017 at 6:32am
I put this under FAKE news! The 426 didn't have reliability problems when it was pushed with hp, it had issues with rpms. Your 8.3 will have the same issues as does any diesel. It's a myth about 426 engines not handling hp. The ones that failed on the N6 and 7080 7580 were from the process of hardening the crank, that showed up with high rpms. Allis Chalmers cured that with a longer bolt, putting the nose of the crank under compression, and on the 8070 slowing the rpms.

Now here comes all the anacdotal replies of the 426 failures, that always come if someone defends that engine.
skateboarder68 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skateboarder68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2017 at 9:30am
Short answer in MY opinion is 225 pto. I would have a pryometer installed and pull it so you are minimizing the shifts under load, etc. Be sensible. Had a 8050 with motor out of a 7140 magnum (8.3 with intercooler) and it wakened it up bigtime! I realize it was rated about 50 horse more but there was a reason guys thought it a wise business decision to do the conversion. No idea on hardened cranks, Mr. KC gets all bent out of shape when the C word is mentioned. I do have a 7045 and think it is one of the best tractors ever made.   There's 5 conversions in the neighborhood and everyone loves theirs. The tranny may last longer if you're down shifting less often.

Edited by skateboarder68 - 27 Jul 2017 at 10:41am
Orange & Silver still earnin their keep on the farm: R62, Series IV D17 nf, 185, 6080, 6080 fwa, 220, 1968 D21, 7045, DT240.
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2017 at 12:25pm
For best results, try and operate the Power Shift in 6th gear or Power Director in 5th gear low button. Do not weight it down heavily. Let it spin some.
Kcgrain View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kcgrain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2017 at 1:45pm
I don't actually freak out with the C word! Lol. What bothers me is guys that have a 426 that needs work, rather than spend the money to overhaul it go threw the engine properly , they give it a $3000 overhaul and than are disappointed because it doesn't perform. Than bastardise the tractor with a new or newer 8.3 and rant and rave about its performance etc.One thing is most 8.3 had a P pump on Vs that ambac hand grenade, that nobody wants to spend the money on to properly go thru that either. Not to mention every conversion that comes up for sale is priced cheaper than the 426 counterpart. I have many "C "word engines, and alot of people think it's a small version of the legendary 855 big cam, and they're not even close. B and C series engines aren't in that calibre .
DougG View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DougG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2017 at 2:09pm
I'm with ya KCGrain, I seen the same pulled the guts out of it, turned up weighted down then things finally come apart and Allis is junk , no proper maintanice, just rolling the black smoke, head shaking for sure
SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2017 at 2:22pm
My pump guy says the M100 is a good system when all the proper settings are made but mine was used up and since it was getting an inframe we put an A pump on it (8070)just because. It's set around 225 and pulls implements designed for the tractor,just easier.No weights,fluid inside,radial 18.4 and radial duals.HMMM I'd have to go look.It may have one weight on inside.
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skateboarder68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2017 at 5:36pm
I'm no engine guru, don't pretend to be. But the 8050 I had was a good tractor for the 10 years it had the 426. It spun a bearing on the crankshaft around 3500 hours and I needed a 200 pto horse tractor. This was 2002 when corn was still under 2 bucks I believe. Instead of updating to a newer tractor for 50 grand or more, the decision was made to bastardize the tractor with a cummins 505 cubic inch 8.3. Our mechanic, an AC guy thru and thru said it would be roughly the same $ rebuild the allis or drop in a used cummins. My experience was better lugging, not horsepower TORQUE! And the fact it would fire on the second revolution when it was 10 degrees F was nice also.
If something happens to my 7045, I would rebuild the 426 in a heartbeat! You can talk about if you woulda done this or that the 426 would hold up, hardened, balanced crankshaft, better oil whatever. The tractor served us well and not a problem at all holding 200 horse in the 10 years after the conversion. Sold it locally to a guy who had a 8070 with the C word and he wanted another. Still going!
Orange & Silver still earnin their keep on the farm: R62, Series IV D17 nf, 185, 6080, 6080 fwa, 220, 1968 D21, 7045, DT240.
Kcgrain View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kcgrain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2017 at 8:08pm
Again, not comparing apples to apples. An ambac pump will never run toe to toe with a P pump. The engine has nothing to do with torque and power. The old Rosa master pump was better at torque and power than an ambac. What your experiencing is the feeling of the fuel system, not the brand of engine. And the spun bearing had more to do with the pump than Allis Chalmers
wekracer View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wekracer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2017 at 9:01pm
I'm not going to argue about engines however I do agree with Kc. To compare an early 80s 426 to an 8.3 Cummins is apples and oranges

That said. If you want a 225 horse tractor buy a 250 horse tractor and turn it down. You will never work on it. If you crank up a 170 horse tractor to 225 don't bitch when you are putting a trans or rearend in it. Those engineers weren't stupid.
kinghunter View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kinghunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2017 at 9:11pm
Here local to me there are several allis with the 8.3 conversions and as I'm true to allis. Everyone of the farmers that have one love them with the new motors. I know two are around 250 maybe more and are pulled hard. I have no doubt the allis drive train can handle it if put in a gear and left alone. I question one farmer about his as I've seen it pulling front end up with plow behind it and he said never shift under load and keep rolling on.
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skateboarder68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2017 at 9:30pm
Of course it's not comparing apples to apples, that's the point. When faced with the decision, it was a no brainer for me and the other traitors. (if that's what you want to call us)
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote victoryallis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2017 at 9:32pm
Have 2 426's around and 3 8.3 Cummins around sorry I'm not a purist but I'll take a 8.3. The Cummins start easily 10 degrees colder and easier on fuel.
Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2017 at 9:44pm
What you need is a 71 series Detroit in it - or a 6V-92 then no worry about lack of power or reliability 
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
wekracer View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wekracer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2017 at 9:49pm
Well then sounds like you already know the answer so why did you ask the question.

I'm not a purest but I do take issue in turning up tractors. My neighbor is always complaining about his 8070 because it's always at the dealer and he likes to turn the screw out. We have an L2 8050 and 8070 fwa all stock and have never had an issue. All do everything I ask. And they all start at 0 degrees if I plug them in.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote victoryallis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2017 at 4:39am
Originally posted by wekracer wekracer wrote:

Well then sounds like you already know the answer so why did you ask the question.

I'm not a purest but I do take issue in turning up tractors. My neighbor is always complaining about his 8070 because it's always at the dealer and he likes to turn the screw out. We have an L2 8050 and 8070 fwa all stock and have never had an issue. All do everything I ask. And they all start at 0 degrees if I plug them in.

My initial question wasn't what is better a 426 or a 8.3 it was basically how much of the upgraded motor can I harness in a straight frame tractor and do it without breakiing something.
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2017 at 5:30am
"The engine has nothing to do with torque and power"

???

"Nothing" might be a bit of a stretch there, no?
Lonn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lonn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2017 at 6:10am
Originally posted by victoryallis victoryallis wrote:

Originally posted by wekracer wekracer wrote:

My initial question wasn't what is better a 426 or a 8.3 it was basically how much of the upgraded motor can I harness in a straight frame tractor and do it without breakiing something.
All depends if you are going to put any extra gained power to the ground or if you just want bragging rights and say the old girl is putting out 250 hp. The safe bet is to stick with the stockish hp the tractor was designed for. Especially since late 8070 tractors have the lighter final drives. Something close to giving the 170 PTO hp and I say that because I don't like to have to replace broken parts all that often. Like someone else said, if you want a 225 hp tractor go buy a 250 hp tractor just to be safe. I don't understand why anyone would want to stress their old 170 hp tractor to 225 or 250 hp anyhow. It will never live up to a modern 250 hp tractor in any way.

In fact I tell the pump rebuilder to not set a pump to 10% over like most rebuilders do. Guy who did my 670T inj pump for my L2 didn't listen and set it 10% or 15% above factory. I won't go back to him. I like stock hp because I know that is what my machine was designed for.

Remember what Mark (aka 427435) said about increasing torque and how it reduces power train life by quite a bit. I may not have agreed with Mark on a lot of things but that subject I certainly do.

Edited by Lonn - 28 Jul 2017 at 6:12am
-- --- .... .- -- -- .- -.. / .-- .- ... / .- / -- ..- .-. -.. . .-. .. -. --. / -.-. .... .. .-.. -.. / .-. .- .--. .. ... -
Wink
I am a Russian Bot
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2017 at 6:34am
"What is the maximum horsepower that a 8070 could put to the ground"

First sentence of first post.  Nothing about should I redo a 426 or put  in a Cummins, nothing about bragging rights, nothing about purity, never stated a horsepower number he had in mind.  Simple question about the tractor chassis putting power to the ground, what can it handle.

Edited by Tbone95 - 28 Jul 2017 at 6:35am
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2017 at 6:37am
victoryallis, what "pitfalls of an articulated tractor" are you referring to?
Dans 7080 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dans 7080 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2017 at 6:49am
Wasn't the 8070 deliberately reduced in power from the 7080 because they didn't think the powershift would hold up?
When someone tells you Nothings Impossible, Tell them to slam a revolving door
Lonn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lonn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2017 at 7:15am
Originally posted by Tbone95 Tbone95 wrote:

First sentence of first post.  Nothing about should I redo a 426 or put  in a Cummins, nothing about bragging rights, nothing about purity, never stated a horsepower number he had in mind.  Simple question about the tractor chassis putting power to the ground, what can it handle.
145 drawbar hp safely, translates to 170 PTO hp. Is that simple enough?

But hell if all you care about is putting max HP to the ground the pullers are putting 1000 plus hp to the ground routinely. Good luck!

Edited by Lonn - 28 Jul 2017 at 7:17am
-- --- .... .- -- -- .- -.. / .-- .- ... / .- / -- ..- .-. -.. . .-. .. -. --. / -.-. .... .. .-.. -.. / .-. .- .--. .. ... -
Wink
I am a Russian Bot
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2017 at 9:08am
Originally posted by Lonn Lonn wrote:

Originally posted by Tbone95 Tbone95 wrote:

145 drawbar hp safely, translates to 170 PTO hp. Is that simple enough?

But hell if all you care about is putting max HP to the ground the pullers are putting 1000 plus hp to the ground routinely. Good luck!

Well, it isn't my question.

Decaf for my Minnesotan friend please.

Edited by Tbone95 - 28 Jul 2017 at 9:09am
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2017 at 9:10am
If your answer is the only safe HP is as designed, that's totally fine by me.  I don't have a single turned up unit on my farm, or even an engines swap.
tornado8070 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tornado8070 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2017 at 9:17am
I need a beer! Or maybe 6! These threads always make me shake my head! You want 250 HP go buy a dog designed for it! As for the Cummings or Cummin or what ever the hell you call conversion....ain't no way a guy can transition one for less or the same money as a complete 426 rebuild! And in talking out of frame, radiator recore with 7th vein added and a complete fuel system rebuild! I have a dealer do it and I've done them in my shop! I completely agree with KCGrain on this. I own 2 8070's and they are set at 185 HP. And I feel that is the top end of safe without exceletating engine component wear!
09’ DT205B, 08’ DT220A, 83' 8070 MFWD, 83’ 8070 85’ 8050 MFWD, 83' 8030, 82' 8010, 85’ 6080 MFWD, 84’ 6080, 79' 7020, 85' M3 RWD, 85' 920 diesel,AC C-50 forklift.
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2017 at 9:23am
tornado, turn it back to a slight breeze and have that beer.

I'm probably coming across like an . ...well, it doesn't need to be said....everybody knows how I'm coming across.....but the original poster never ever mentioned 250 HP, or any other HP for that matter.  He already has 3 of the Cummins engines around, so no cost of acquisition.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tornado8070 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2017 at 9:33am
Original post also forgot to mention the 3 engine on hand. Besides if they are used it would be silly to go through all the work to shove a engine in without rebuilding it prior. And you still can't rebuild a Cummings cheaper than a 426, when doing a complete rebuild.
09’ DT205B, 08’ DT220A, 83' 8070 MFWD, 83’ 8070 85’ 8050 MFWD, 83' 8030, 82' 8010, 85’ 6080 MFWD, 84’ 6080, 79' 7020, 85' M3 RWD, 85' 920 diesel,AC C-50 forklift.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tornado8070 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2017 at 10:00am
Ya know it's not so much the fact of doing the repower as much of the fact that everyone I've ever seen are so hacked up and slobbed together it's horrible. Oil leaks, cables and gauges not functioning as they should. Hoods and panels all chopped up. I can't be a fan of that. Owning 6 8000 series tractor that earn their keep, and always looking to acquire one more, a tractor of that nature won't get a second look from me. That's my opinion, like it or not.....
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic