This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

24 volt, but + or - ground?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darrel in ND Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 24 volt, but + or - ground?
    Posted: 18 Oct 2016 at 8:40pm
I got the starter for my forty-five road grader back from the repair shop today, and if all goes well, which it never does, I'll get it put on tomorrow. But, is this going to be positive, ,or negative ground? Anyone know? The generator and the regulator I am assuming are stock, but have been painted over, so I can't read anything off them. Thanks, Darrel
Sponsored Links

SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2016 at 9:20pm
Man,you come up with some good ones....
Dan73 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2016 at 9:22pm
Ask the shop they just repaired it hopefully they know what they fixed... I haven't personal heard of a 24 volt positive ground but that doesn't mean they didn't make them.
Ian Beale View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ian Beale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2016 at 10:27pm
Darrel

Ask and you shall receive

Originally 4 x 6 volt batteries positive earth.   Shouldn't matter to the starter either way if you polarise the generator.

Consider putting an alternator on it if your generator gear is sus.  I'm using a 50 amp Bosch (so negative earth), with the Bosch mounting bracket welded on top of a generator mount from a HD 11 - straighter top surface than the AC 45 one I got so easier to fit the Bosch mount.  I used the pulley from a HD 11 generator - shaft was right but no key so I had to use some blue locktite.  No problem with getting it to excite.

For batteries I'm using 2 N70zz's.  They fit Toyota Landcruisers and now most other things around here.  No trouble starting the AC 45 or the FA 10 dozer.  But we don't have your winters.

Hope this helps.
donoman View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote donoman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2016 at 1:42am
donoman View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote donoman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2016 at 1:47am
My HD6'S (5) 4 with generators are all positive earth and run as Ian Beale does N70zz....
very well, the one with the alternator you have to always remember to turn the master switch off
Ian Beale View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ian Beale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2016 at 5:15am
Donoman

The Bosch is single wire and I've just wired everything through the original key switch with no drain problems so far. I had to do a bush rebuild on the key switch, so the starter has an additional solenoid in the wiring.  I gutted the switch tumblers as no key came with the machine.  Actually it had a solenoid starter with the wires unsoldered and it was run with a mechanical linkage that used the solenoid as a switch.  Resoldering has worked so far.

The adjuster strap is the original AC 45 one, which is getting to the limit.  A longer angle bracket at the bottom will fix that when I need to.
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2016 at 6:28am
Starters, those with field coils NOT magnets, always spin same direction regardless of polarity. It's just 'they way it is'.
Now, permanent magnet motors as found in lawn tractors WILL spin backwards when wired up backwards. Neighbour found that out one day.....

Jay

3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
Dozer View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dozer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2016 at 7:57am
Many older machines with generator and external regulators were + ground. It does not mater if you wire it + or - ground as long as you polarize the regulator so that the generator will charge correctly. As jaybmiller says starters with field coils will always turn in the correct direction.
darrel in ND View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darrel in ND Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2016 at 8:49am
Soooooo, what I am hearing here, is that most likely, it was originally a positive ground unit. I was pretty sure that starters don't care if their polarity is reversed or not, and I guess it seems we are all in agreement there. I wasn't sure how the generator and regulator would re-act, but I guess I would just need to polarize that system accordingly, eh? And which 2 wires is it that you jump accross to polarize? Thanks for all of the replies. If I get it going today, I'll let y'all know. Darrel
Dozer View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dozer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2016 at 8:56am
Gen to Bat
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darrel in ND Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2016 at 9:23am
Thanks dozer
CAL(KS) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CAL(KS) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2016 at 10:23am
my 145T with 7000 engine is 24 volt positive ground and should be of same vintage
Me -C,U,UC,WC,WD45,190XT,TL-12,145T,HD6G,HD16,HD20

Dad- WD, D17D, D19D, RT100A, 7020, 7080,7580, 2-8550's, 2-S77, HD15
tadams(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2016 at 3:27pm
Is this a gas or diesel,  if gas make sure the coil is wired the same.
Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2016 at 4:52pm
the started doesn't care on polarity - but the field windings do care in which direction the starter faces to the front of the engine - found that out when I rebuilt the starter on my IH 460 tractor with starter facing back to operator - used a Chev field and starter turned backwards - had to buy new coil for the IH part number . 
 Some regulators are polarity sensitive - for generators - but starter - just turns when voltage and lots of amps applied .
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darrel in ND Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2016 at 6:08pm
Originally posted by tadams(OH) tadams(OH) wrote:

Is this a gas or diesel,  if gas make sure the coil is wired the same.<div id="UMS_TOOLTIP" style=": ; cursor: pointer; : 2147483647; : transparent; top: -100000px; left: -100000px;">

It's a diesel. Has the 516 Buda/allis. Darrel
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darrel in ND Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2016 at 6:14pm
Well, I didn't get anything done on it today. Number one; darn important work gets in the way of this fun stuff. And number two; there is a big spacer ring that mounts between the starter and the bell housing, and that accidentally got left at the starter repair shop. It never should have went up there in the first place, but my son didn't know that, and he was the one who dropped the starter off, and I was the one who picked it up. Minor problem. When I get back to it, I am going to go with the positive ground plan. That seems to be the general concensus. Thanks for all of your replies. Darrel
Ian Beale View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ian Beale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2016 at 8:31pm
Darrel

Positive ground should get points for original.

Sound of the engine running will get more though I'd reckon
AC220fan View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC220fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2016 at 10:30pm

Darrel,

If you are interested in knowing what the polarity was,
one way you might be able to tell is,
if it has an amp-meter and lights, after installing the batteries,
before starting the engine turn on the lights
it should display a discharge.
but if it displays a charge with with the engine off,
then the polarity has changed.
If the amp-meter always reads backwards,
then you need reverse all the wires on the amp-meter,
like take all the wires on a post and move them to the other post.
So all the wires end up on the other post from where they were.
The guys are correct, the starter does not care one way or the other.
But the generator and regular does very much so,
be sure to polarize it before starting the
engine the first time.
It is normal to see an spark or arc when doing so.
Do not leave it connected any longer then 10 seconds as it will over heat the armature.
It is actually the field coils/poles that need to be polarized, not the armature.
Lots of generator regulars are marked with a "N" or a "P" to tell you which
way they are intended to be grounded.
How do I say this, but you need to be careful when polarizing the gen.
or you could fry to regular, if you don't disconnect it while polarizing the gen.
It might be best to ask a local electric shop what the exact procedure to use
to polarizing the generator. Or refer to the service manual.

Good luck and have a nice fall

Edited by AC220fan - 19 Oct 2016 at 11:11pm
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darrel in ND Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2016 at 10:53pm
Thank you, 220 fan. I am now pretty sure that I will not be able to play, I mean work, with this project until at least the weekend, but when I do get back to it I'll definitely keep y'all informed. Thanks to all who have contributed information. Darrel
shameless (ne) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless (ne) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2016 at 2:28am
honey do's huh? lol
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2016 at 8:52am
I just recently bought a 24v alternator for my AC.  It is to replace the generator which was positive ground where once converted my system will be negative ground.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darrel in ND Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2016 at 9:02am
Originally posted by shameless (ne) shameless (ne) wrote:

honey do's huh? lol

some of that. Some trying to do stuff to pay the bills. Some cattle chores needs doing. Fences need fixing. And trying to keep my tractors happy and my family running. Darrel
shameless (ne) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless (ne) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2016 at 12:21pm
shucks Darrell....make them fences right the first time and you won't need to keep fix'in them! bouts the only'est time we had to fix our cattle fences was when I shot that bull in the gonads with a BB gun! then we fixed them for bouts 3 days! whew! (dad never figgered that one out)
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darrel in ND Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2016 at 6:08pm
Uhhhhh, Shameless. I am kind of stupid, so why don't you come up here and build a couple miles of your super fence for me, and I'll watch you very closely so I learns how to do it. If I don't catch on after a couple miles, just keep on going. I'm sure that I'll eventually learn it. I'll even provide the materials and equipment for you. Darrel
Ian Beale View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ian Beale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2016 at 6:57pm
Reflections on looking down a NEW fence

"And he sees the vision splendid
Of a sunlit fence extended
And he's pretty sure
The stock won't stray this night "

Adapted from lines of a well known Oz poem.

I hate having yet another go at propping up a fence that is well time expired - or, in a valuer's phrasing "beyond prudent redemption".  Lesson was learnt one day when I and more steel posts were heading out to prop up such a fence.  On counting it already had enough steel posts holding it up to rebuild about half the fence.
Dan73 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2016 at 7:33pm
Shameless if you can build a fence to keep the cows in maybe you can go to Texas and build one down there when you get done. I hear there will be a building boom down there soon.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic