This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Pulling Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Stock tractor pulling question

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlpankey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2012 at 11:26am
yes
Sponsored Links

mufflerboltz View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mufflerboltz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2012 at 11:53am
i was actually thinking of going all out and spending all this money( which i dont have lol) and try to build one of these so called "stockers", but i sat back and thought about it and how much more fun it would be to do what you guys are talking about- just get everything set right, go have a good time and beat up built engines!  
mlpankey View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlpankey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2012 at 12:00pm
if you can? a blind hog finds a acorn every now and again . so they will be the built tractors that are able to hit the setup for the track just as well as the guy with the stock tractor can. i guess it comes down to where you are happy with the place of the finish . I knew a good bracket racer thats engine was down in his car so he raced a stock computer controlled four cylinder to keep his skills on and be consistent granted the spectators didnt like his slow car over his drag car and no event will stay around if it doesnt draw a crowd. Lack luster usually doesnt draw one either.

Edited by mlpankey - 22 Dec 2012 at 12:07pm
ACFarmer View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACFarmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2012 at 4:20pm
This is about stock tractor pulling, why are these other topics being brought up? 90% of the time, they guys pulling stock tractors, can out pull the guys that went out and spent all the money souping the engine up in their tractors.
Making A living everyday farming with and working on Allis Equipment
DougG View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DougG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2012 at 4:54pm
Its hilarous when people spend a bunch of money on engines that dont have a clue and engine shops know this ; they spend all this money , get on it and it runs just like before and they wonder why ; cause they got screwed , if you watch the track , know your tractor balance most of the time you can chug right past them while they set there scratching their head
Gary in da UP View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary in da UP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2012 at 6:15pm
Originally posted by DougG DougG wrote:

Its hilarous when people spend a bunch of money on engines that dont have a clue and engine shops know this ; they spend all this money , get on it and it runs just like before and they wonder why ; cause they got screwed , if you watch the track , know your tractor balance most of the time you can chug right past them while they set there scratching their head
 I agree abso-frirkkin'-lutely, and that was the point of my choice of topic... know your tractor, watch what others do....whether right or wrong, and apply, or not ,what you observe depending on what you see.  wi50 agreed, pure stock pulling is challenging, Chuck Luedtke would agree, too,  it took me a couple three years to get in the groove. It really shouldn't take long to see and feel in the seat of yer pants  whether your set up to be competative or not.  Today with a video camera in every cellphone , its simple to look at a video of your pass , and maybe a little more difficult to decipher and figure out what you might do just a wee bit better. I learned to pull farther thru incremental change... not by adding gobs of power and shortchanging  balance and traction.  Its all gotta work together , and when it does , it's a beutiful thing, eh?    Every tractor has a sweet spot.... a speed and weight and drawbar heigth  class that it loves, wi50 mentioned an old  fence row diesel , D17 I think,  it was in its sweet spot, and shined.    If your a peanut follower ..., do as he does, don't pull, just come on here and pretend.
BennyLumpkin View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BennyLumpkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2012 at 6:15pm
Ok with my WC, I'm still running a mag...any advantage to putting say a petronix electronic setup with a distributor or not? Its a 201 with the stock carb I stole off my WD45. WD manifold and straight pipe. Has a k&n looking cone filter instead of the oil bath. Last I had it on the PTO dyno I pushed 32hp...respectable for a 201 that's never been apart right? Just trying to get a little more is all.
Central PA Allis Express
1934 WC254
1945 WF
1945 WC135755
1951 WD68085
1953 WD45-150217
1957 WD45D-230744D
B110
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary in da UP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2012 at 6:21pm

Benny, hang on to a plug wire , get your new  bride to crank it over.....  Do you need more juice?   Nothing wrong with a good mag.    Ken Mi , runs one  on his WC , can't fault his tractors git up & go.

BennyLumpkin View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BennyLumpkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2012 at 6:26pm
I have fun with the old WC. In my opinion it counts as stock and depending on the track its competitive against Oliver 70, Farmall H's and the like. Our local track I won't even take it. We have a sticky clay track and it takes a lot of power....I can't pull hardly half track and power out. I did forget to mention it has a D17 gov spring...stock one had me running about 1200rpm....pretty lazy lol
Central PA Allis Express
1934 WC254
1945 WF
1945 WC135755
1951 WD68085
1953 WD45-150217
1957 WD45D-230744D
B110
Dipstick In View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dipstick In Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2012 at 9:47pm
We had one of those "mouthy-know-it-alls" build up a WD-45. Was supposed to be gettiing 120 hp, had a stroker crank,maybe 6", ran Farmall H rods, with Chebbie pistons, petronix igniters, and I don't know what else. Took it to the track at our fair, wound her up, let fly the clutch, got past the shut off point 'bout 75-90' and dug two holes. Took her back to the pit area, and shifted weights and some other witchcrafty type thingys, came back out for a second pull, got about 20-30' farther down the track, but was beat by a couple of bone-stock tractors just in off the range. He loaded his "Wunderhorse", went home, left the club, sold ALL of his AC stuff and no one hears from him again! 
You don't really have to be smart if you know who is!
mlpankey View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlpankey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2012 at 11:15am
you can have to much at times just like you can have not enough at times. one time clays d14 in low side first out pulled some respected modified tractors by 50 ft one time . then we went  to a track where power out pulled him 100 ft.

Edited by mlpankey - 23 Dec 2012 at 11:21am
allischalmersbrad View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allischalmersbrad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 2012 at 8:44pm
I have 3 different unstyled WCs that i pull with in stock pulls. Our club puts on 2-3 percentage pulls during the summer. We end up getting a lot of different guys trying it because we limit it to stock. Everybody has a lot of fun and being it is a percentage pull the guy with a B Allis can compete with the guy that has a WD-9 IH.  To me it is just as much fun watching these tractors the way they came from the factory (OK I guess a lot of them are worn out) as it is watching ones that are modified.
Orange Blood View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Orange Blood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 2012 at 10:04pm
I have been complaining for years that there are no more "Stock" pulls around, it seems many of the pullers in stock pulls are cheating, and hiding modifications, which no longer makes the pull any fun.  I would love to put a 45 diesel, or a D19 diesel in a pull, the 19, might not have a class in many of the antique pulls, but some do.  Heck it would be really cool to put a stock D21 in a pull.  I think I have found a class it would fit right into, 1960 and up, 10.5K max 125HP max.  The association does not look like it has more than 3 tractors in that class.
Still in use:
HD7 WC C CA WD 2-WD45 WD45LP WD45D D14 3-D17 D17LP 2-D19D D19LP 190XTD 190XTLP 720 D21 220 7020 7030 7040 7045 3-7060
Projects: 3-U UC 2-G 2-B 2-C CA 7-WC RC WDLP WF D14 D21 210 7045 N7
DonDittmar View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonDittmar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2012 at 6:44am
We started a "Field Ready" farm stock pull last year. Still working on ironing out the rules, but what it boils down to is 10HP per 1000 lbs of weight, stock rpms, stock block for model of tractor(to many combine engines in D17's and IH 460/560) Basically any part on the tractor has to be in the FACTORY parts book. ALso Factory tire sizes.  

We are trying to attract the people who took dads tractor from the fencerow, got it running, and wants to pull it and be competitive.
Experience is a fancy name for past mistakes. "Great moments are born from great opportunity"

1968 D15D,1962 D19D
Also 1965 Cub Loboy and 1958 JD 720 Diesel Pony Start
Charlie175 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlie175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2012 at 7:04am
Don we tried the same thing but had very little turn out. Hopefully this year it will pick up. I think our rule that you need to have original to tractor weights might hurt participation since it is hard to mount weights for different classes on the fly.

Charlie

'48 B, '51 CA, '56 WD45 '61 D17, '63 D12, '65 D10 , '68 One-Ninety XTD
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonDittmar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2012 at 8:59am
Charlie, you have to know when to draw the line.
We look at it as "does the modification cause and increase in HP or pulling distance?"

If a puller has a 100lb IH hanging off of his WC, or an 100 Allis weight hanging off of his WC, it doesnt matter, 100lb is 100lb

We are trying to keep this fair for the poeple that dont have the money to "sup" up there iron.

We dont DQ anyone that chages to a 12Volt Alternator setup or deletes the sediment bowl either as these mods dont increase HP, they are a "functional" modification
Experience is a fancy name for past mistakes. "Great moments are born from great opportunity"

1968 D15D,1962 D19D
cotncrzy View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cotncrzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2012 at 9:36am
  What about dividing the class up? Farm Stock 1, Factory mounted weights for that tractor, tire size, engine etc. Farm stock 2, fabricated weight brackets, fartherest extendable weight 11' from center of rear axle. Adjustable hitch, 18" back from center of axle. 1st gear only, or 3.5mph. Factory block or replacement block, 20% over factory rpm. Then tire size has to be considered, most stop the width at 15.5, some go to 16.9, and can be up to 38" diameter.  Anything that wont fit in either of the two, have a modified OPEN antique class, this one would allow shifting of T/A or Power Directors. 
There is nothing like a good set of rules, except enforcing them... 
 Around here there are "rules" and pretty good ones, then once you get there they go to Crap. You hear "Well there isn't enough for the class" or "We don't have enough help". It winds up a Pull what you brought kinda thing. I have a tractor that straddles the fence. I have tried to compete and now have three sets of tires and wheels, two engines.
  The thing that makes me shake my head is the people that will CHEAT for a $5 trophy and beat his chest when he out pulled a stock tractor.
 I have been put into a "Farm Stock" class because there wasn't but two of "US" there for the FS2. I wanted to pull, had drove 80+ miles one way, I payed my hook fee, pulled finished 2nd, behind the other FS2 tractor but refused to take the trophy. I felt the Farm Stock tractors deserved it since it was there class.
 I have begged the guys to stick to your guns on the rules, pleeded to them it would help build the pull up. When two show up let them settle it, winner take all. When one shows up grant him a "free Hook" in the Open Antique.
 I guess as long as there is competition there will be cheating, but a guy at the scales before the pull, checking weight and hitch height, a guy hooking the sled checking hitches again will make it alot more competive.
C, WD45,WD puller, 185, 200, 7060 Red Belly, 7060 Black Belly,8010, and a R52 Gleaner, AND PROUD OF THEM!
Charlie175 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlie175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2012 at 11:50am
Each weight class we have Farm Stock (True all stock components) 1st gear only, then 3.5 MPH (Not as strict as Stock) and then 6 MPH for the hot guys.

Charlie

'48 B, '51 CA, '56 WD45 '61 D17, '63 D12, '65 D10 , '68 One-Ninety XTD
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonDittmar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2012 at 12:57pm
Originally posted by cotncrzy cotncrzy wrote:

What about dividing the class up? Farm Stock 1, Factory mounted weights for that tractor, tire size, engine etc. Farm stock 2, fabricated weight brackets, fartherest extendable weight 11' from center of rear axle. Adjustable hitch, 18" back from center of axle. 1st gear only, or 3.5mph. Factory block or replacement block, 20% over factory rpm. Then tire size has to be considered, most stop the width at 15.5, some go to 16.9, and can be up to 38" diameter.  Anything that wont fit in either of the two, have a modified OPEN antique class, this one would allow shifting of T/A or Power Directors. 
There is nothing like a good set of rules, except enforcing them... 
 Around here there are "rules" and pretty good ones, then once you get there they go to Crap. You hear "Well there isn't enough for the class" or "We don't have enough help". It winds up a Pull what you brought kinda thing. I have a tractor that straddles the fence. I have tried to compete and now have three sets of tires and wheels, two engines.
  The thing that makes me shake my head is the people that will CHEAT for a $5 trophy and beat his chest when he out pulled a stock tractor.
 I have been put into a "Farm Stock" class because there wasn't but two of "US" there for the FS2. I wanted to pull, had drove 80+ miles one way, I payed my hook fee, pulled finished 2nd, behind the other FS2 tractor but refused to take the trophy. I felt the Farm Stock tractors deserved it since it was there class.
 I have begged the guys to stick to your guns on the rules, pleeded to them it would help build the pull up. When two show up let them settle it, winner take all. When one shows up grant him a "free Hook" in the Open Antique.
 I guess as long as there is competition there will be cheating, but a guy at the scales before the pull, checking weight and hitch height, a guy hooking the sled checking hitches again will make it alot more competive.
Been there and done all of that. Yes they will cheat, but it has nothing to do with the 2.00 ribbon(we cant afford the 5.00 trophy) it has to do with pride. I get laughed at alot when I say this, but you might better slap a man's wife than hurt his pride.......and while you all are shaking your head in discust, deep down you know I am right.
We dont have enough tractors to do all of the suggestions from cotncrzy, and they are all good suggestions, so we have to kind of feel things out so to speak and taylor our pull to the tractors available.
There are alot of things I would like to do, 10,000lb "Battle of the Standards" 12,500lb field farm stock,  and the list goes on.........

1968 D15D,1962 D19D
geb View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2013 at 8:00pm
I've been following this thread and I don't respond very often.  But there is a lot of opinions and some valid and some not.  I have been pulling off and on since the early 70's.  With that said, anyone that believes more power is not better is not facing reality.  Now if you go out and pull without balancing the tractor, gets the air pressure right in tires, reading the track, etc, power is not important.  But if you are pulling against somone who does this as good as you do, or someone else in the class does. believe me, the one with the most power will win no matter what the class is called.
WCCLASON View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WCCLASON Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2013 at 11:03pm
This is a very good topic. I have a unstyled WC i bought and it had decent power but the guy had it set up wrong. I put a d17 gov. spring and took of the oil bath and new plug and wire and there we go....Started getting 1st place, But powered out....right down to the last breath....And i was hooked. I "NEEDED MORE POWER"! I did the 4 1/8 over bore flat tops for a WC with the WD45 crank and wow...What a diffrence. I have firestone 13.6x36 tires and i had so much lugging power it was crazy.Best set up yet. I also didnt spend much money doing the rebuild either. Now....I have another engine i build with high comp. and like you guys have said....It lack lugging power but i know it dynos at 65 horse and it is still just a 240ci motor. So im going to try the bigger carb and some manifold work and see what happens.......I have beaten JD that have had thousands of dollars put in the motor so i still concider my tractors "Stock" Because they have all stock parts..just little tricks done.
Glockhead SWMI View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glockhead SWMI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2013 at 8:09am
I'd like to build a stock puller too. Maybe this summer I'll start on it in between all the other projects. 
Jordan(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jordan(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2013 at 1:20am
Originally posted by Charlie175 Charlie175 wrote:

This is why I stay out of the big boys classes around here. 

This is a "stock" Ford

[TUBE]http://youtu.be/I1KHk5lHmTs[/TUBE]

There is a big difference between 'stock' and 'farm stock.'  Farm stock is a set of rules just like pro stock, super stock etc.
ACFarmer View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACFarmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2013 at 6:44pm
"Farm Stock" is supposed to be tractors off the farm. That class has really expanded in the past couple years. And theres not a general set of rules for that class that everybody goes by yet. A "farm stock" shouldnt be running over 6 or 8 mph imho.....
Making A living everyday farming with and working on Allis Equipment
DougG View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DougG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2013 at 7:13pm
Yeah thats the best way to stop them, put a mph limit, they cant run if you cant open it up!
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonDittmar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2013 at 12:17pm
Our "Farm Stock" class has a speed limit of 3mph

Regular class is 3.8mph

1968 D15D,1962 D19D
Ken in Texas View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken in Texas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2013 at 9:08am
Most if not all the local tractor clubs that have sleds in my area of NE-TX are Branch Members of Early Day Gas Engine & Tractor Assn. www.edgeta.org. They are the event insurance underighters.
   We more or less must follow EDGETA guidelines to be covered by insurance.
   We pull stock vintage farm tractors for fun and bragging rights. NO HOOK FEES! If the pull is not a Official EDGETA National sanctioned event the pulling rules are a bit looser. Non stock drawbars and stock tire size limits are not as strictly enforced.
   I pull a stock engine Bareback CA with a custom built combination drawbar with weight brackets. I run 13-6 x 24 tires on 11" rims on D10/Farmall A steel wheels with Farmall Wheel weights in #3500 and #4000. Tire ballast allows me to pull both stock and competive stock classes in 3500  and 500# of suitcase weights puts me into the  #4000 competive stock class.
    The last pulling outing at the LA State Fair pull in Shreveport got old me and the old CA a first in 3500 stock.  A second in 3500 competive stock and a second in 4000 competive stock.
    Not exactly shur but I think the speed limit is 3.5 mph. 1st gear in stock and 1st or 2nd allowed in competive stock.
    At my age those 100# suitcase weights are getting heavier to toss around. Would like to trade these 5 for 10 #50 weights before I drop one on my foot.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary in da UP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2013 at 1:35pm
   At my age those 100# suitcase weights are getting heavier to toss around. Would like to trade these 5 for 10 #50 weights before I drop one on my foot.

I ageree on 100 # weights, I have 2 doz. 44 # weights ...used on belarus tractors. easier to carry two at a time for me.
Austin98 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Austin98 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2017 at 7:52am
Have some questions on building an allis c for division 1 to division 2,is there any advantage to a d15 manifold versus stock, and other things I can do to the engine and carb set up
Jordan(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jordan(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2017 at 1:07pm
Start a new post
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic