Forum Description: Forum dedicated to Tractor and Garden Pulling
URL: https://www.allischalmers.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=61752
Printed Date: 01 Jun 2024 at 8:19pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.10 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Stock tractor pulling question
Posted By: Gary in da UP
Subject: Stock tractor pulling question
Date Posted: 18 Dec 2012 at 4:32pm
 I seem to be the only one here that has only pulled stock tractors, and had fun doing it.
 I resisted ( easily ) the idea that  "more power" ,  more rpm,  taller tires (38's ) , and pulling faster class's would be more challenging i.e. "more fun "  Of course , I had to pay more attention to track conditios, tire pressure, drawbar and weight position to win.... but I did win.... sometimes against 30+ tractors in my "slow,  3.5 mph, uncut tire stock appearing engine class".    Never had the head off my WD 45 or my D17, so both of my old pullers were  " right off the hay rake" stock as far as I know.    I always tuned my tractors, so as not to be embarrassed to have it  flub its way down the track, but never used a timing light on either,  I prefer using a vacuum gauge as my tuning tool. Probably shouldn't mention that little secret.    Any way, what do others on here think?   Is it really more fun to spend  multiple thousands to compete against a half dozen or so in a class ? Or is it more fun to  "run what ya brung , hope ya brung enuff" and win  a class with  a couple dozen entries?
  I will admit to building a new tractor... An unstyled WC with Gleaner/ D19 power,, but again the head has not been off... its fresh off the C-2,   but  I am building this for the fun of it....never seen a 6 cylinder in a WC ,and it is to be as much a "touring "  tractor for going on rides, such as the Big Mac ride here in Michigan , As a puller only one club that I know of will allow me to pull this thing when its done.
   I will add that the WD45 ran 14.9 X28's on 12" rims, the D17 ran 16.9X28's ( which are on my WC now) and 18.4 X26 at the end .  How I have  setup my tractors defies what I hear so many say is just plain wrong  if you want to win......
 I reckon  sometimes its better to be lucky ,    than  good, eh?

Is spending more money, going faster ( maybe) equate to more fun in pulling?
  If you reply, give the particulars on rules , speed limits, so we compare apples to apples.

Replies:
Posted By: Larry(OH)
Date Posted: 18 Dec 2012 at 4:45pm
i used to race Jeeps and had a vac gauge in it to tune the carb with...good little "secret"  Was taught that trick by the guy the always ran just a tick better than me

-------------
'40 WC puller,'50 WD puller,'50 M puller '65 770 Ollie

*ALLIS EXPRESS contact*

I can explain it to you, BUT I cannot understand it for you!!

Posted By: Larry(OH)
Date Posted: 18 Dec 2012 at 4:48pm
I have done that also..fun to beat the big $$..my Jeep was like that, bone stock..at first and was protested. After they seen the head bolts heads were all but rusted off, the guy said he screwed up and I got an extra 100 bucks that day of his money.  It is fun just trying to squeek that last tenth of an inch over the next guy

-------------
'40 WC puller,'50 WD puller,'50 M puller '65 770 Ollie

*ALLIS EXPRESS contact*

I can explain it to you, BUT I cannot understand it for you!!

Posted By: Charlie175
Date Posted: 18 Dec 2012 at 4:54pm
I only pull stock classes, 3 MPH for us. I enjoy it. I like seeing "stock" tractors pull, however you will quickly find the ones that have major guts on the inside.

I'd like to tune my 17 better though.

-------------
Charlie

'48 B, '51 CA, '56 WD45 '61 D17, '63 D12, '65 D10 , '68 One-Ninety XTD

Posted By: Carl(NWWI)
Date Posted: 18 Dec 2012 at 5:28pm
Pull a stock WD-45 at antique pulls, usually does pretty good against 20-30 tractors, brought home a lot of 1st-3rd place trophies. I love pulling, no matter what it is, I usually hit about 20 some pulls a year, sometimes two in one day, pull the WD and WD-45 during the day, then go home, throw all the weights on the 190XT, and pull that the same night. It always fun and relaxing. Also pull another WD-45 with duals, that's always fun too!

Carl

Posted By: Ken(MI)
Date Posted: 18 Dec 2012 at 8:22pm
You've seen what I pull Gary, and even bought one from me, was just as much fun with the old beater as it is with the "might be modified WC".

Posted By: DougG
Date Posted: 18 Dec 2012 at 9:32pm
I bought a rough old straight 190 back in 1990 , put good Safemark tires on it, 18.4-34,s and went farm pulling, i always read the track good and took that old 190 to 1 st place a bunch of times !!!That was great as most guys were blowin + going, that ole 190 just cruised right thru! ! Farm/ stock pulling is fun as long as the players arent bending rules too much!

Date Posted: 19 Dec 2012 at 6:59am
This is why I stay out of the big boys classes around here. 

This is a "stock" Ford

[TUBE]http://youtu.be/I1KHk5lHmTs[/TUBE]

-------------
Charlie

Posted By: DonDittmar
Date Posted: 19 Dec 2012 at 8:42am

GAry, we finally invested in the speed control for our sled so for the 2013 season we will have a MPH limit, not sure what that is yet......

-------------
Experience is a fancy name for past mistakes. "Great moments are born from great opportunity"

1968 D15D,1962 D19D
Also 1965 Cub Loboy and 1958 JD 720 Diesel Pony Start

Posted By: BennyLumpkin
Date Posted: 19 Dec 2012 at 11:02am
Farm stock around here allows 5k rpm Farmalls lol....it's ridiculous but the old WC is fun

-------------
Central PA Allis Express
1934 WC254
1945 WF
1945 WC135755
1951 WD68085
1953 WD45-150217
1957 WD45D-230744D
B110

Date Posted: 19 Dec 2012 at 11:08am
 Don ,our club years ago was 4 or 4.5.... was lowered to 3.5 because more big tractors were abusing the transfer sled. Your clubs sled is stout, I would like to see 4mph.  BTW , I always thought your second gear rule was fair for all.

Posted By: ACFarmer
Date Posted: 19 Dec 2012 at 11:36am
Originally posted by Charlie175 Charlie175 wrote:

This is a "stock" Ford

Looks like some of the "Farm Stock" tractors around here...

-------------
Making A living everyday farming with and working on Allis Equipment

Date Posted: 19 Dec 2012 at 12:13pm
Some places I go have the 1st gear rule which I like

-------------
Charlie

Posted By: Mrgoodwrench
Date Posted: 19 Dec 2012 at 5:25pm
just curious what is considered "stock" where you guys pull

-------------
There are 3 ways to do job GOOD, FAST, CHEAP. YOU MAY CHOOSE 2. If its FAST & CHEAP it won't be GOOD, if it's GOOD & CHEAP it won't be FAST, and if its GOOD & FAST it won't be CHEAP!!!!

Posted By: Kip-Utah
Date Posted: 19 Dec 2012 at 8:16pm
With one exception all of our pullers are really just well tuned stockers with nothing more exotic than using a CA governor spring on our B and C. The exception is still nothing too wild, just a styled WC with high-crop gears & a WD45 engine turning about 2000 rpm. Even this one has uncut stock size tires on the original 8" wide rims. We run either 3mph or 4.5 mph farm stock. Dad has won lots of hardware with a bone stock 37 WC that even runs a mis-matched set of tires (one 33 degree Firestone & one 45 degree Goodyear). We have blast with our stockers!! Kip

-------------
HANSEN'S OLD ORANGE IRON. Showing, Pulling, & Going!!

Date Posted: 20 Dec 2012 at 7:13am
Originally posted by Gary in da UP Gary in da UP wrote:

Don ,our club years ago was 4 or 4.5.... was lowered to 3.5 because more big tractors were abusing the transfer sled. Your clubs sled is stout, I would like to see 4mph.  BTW , I always thought your second gear rule was fair for all.
I am leaning to 4MPH, with our new last year "FIELD READY Farm Stock class going to 3.5MPH. We meet on JAN5th to discuss all of this, then the paperwork will go out in the mail. We going to see you at some pulls in the 2013 season.

The 2nd gear rule was far to a degree, its just some tractors have a faster 2nd gear than others and we had some upset people over the deal. The 2nd gear rule was invented for our old stone boat, and it worked fine for that, but the rule became obsolete when we built the "Stress Test"

-------------
Experience is a fancy name for past mistakes. "Great moments are born from great opportunity"

1968 D15D,1962 D19D

Posted By: wi50
Date Posted: 20 Dec 2012 at 8:19am

Around here most stock classes for the lighter weight tractors like we're talking about here is 4 mph.  We typically have hard clay trackd and short chains.  A good running WD45 can be killed in low gear more times than not.

I've got sharp 38" tires on mine, in low gear it will hit 4 mph and need to be held back a little, but it'll power out probably half the time. Engine isn't anything to special, 11.25 to 1 compression 240 CID with some head, manifold and carb work and a stock cam degreed in differently, Murphys rockers.  No idea if it's got 50 hp or 70.  Probably never go on a dyno to find out either, never had a timeing light but I do have a vac gauge in the intake manifold plugging the hole.

It's beat up on much bigger engines, but it's been beat by some pretty stock ones also.  Sometimes a little shorter tire lets them crawl further before killing.  It's alwayse fun to take it and see how it'll do.  A guy can get 2nd in a class of 25 one day, and 4th in a class of 7 another day.

I don't like gear rules, but I see the point sometimes, say I have a WC with tall tires and in low gear it'll go pretty fast compared to a D-17 in low gear.  At the end of the day though it's best to have a few drinks and bs with friends.  If the winner buys with the $20 he won, we all still donate to the Lions Club, FFA or whoever at the end of the day.  

-------------
"see what happens when you have no practical experience doing something...... you end up playing with calculators and looking stupid on the internet"

Date Posted: 20 Dec 2012 at 9:29am
wi50,  I  agree with what your saying, but I have a question for you.   I have always thought that a compression ratio...above 10-1 or so  works against low end lugging power on a good bitin' track right at the end....seems to help douse the fire,  just when you most need it  , where lower pressure seems to lug better?  

Date Posted: 20 Dec 2012 at 9:47am
you're absolutly right Gary.  Good gas and retarded timeing really help it lug.  It also stays up top a little longer with a little higher compression, which depending on can help.  It just gets further down the track before it needs to lug.

One thing I take into account is that these tractor engines are CHOKED.  11 to 1 in the Allis is like 9 to 1 in a Chevy.... sort of.

There was a fella here that took an old D-17 diesel out of the weeds.  It didn't even have electronics other than a rigged starter soelnoid.  Put some pressed steel wheels and good tires used for duals on one of the working tractors on it and went pullin.  Nothing in it and the sick old diesel wouldn't make 50 hp on the dyno.  He did more winning with that thing as it would never kill and didn't have enough to break the tires loose.

I send a lot combinations out, and most of them are in the 10 to 10.5 to 1 compression ratio for people.  Those motors lug well and people don't have to be so fussy about them.  12 to 1 and you really need to pay attention.  I really like shooting for 10.5 to 1 and if they come out a little shy, that's better yet.

I'm restoreing an Unstyled WC and building a motor for it right now.  It was either buy an OH kit or make my own.  Useing free, leftover, otherwise junk, and cheap parts. I made a 4.28 bore, 4.85 stroke engine.  It's targeted at 8.5 to 1.  I don't want to have to pay attention to the gas..... or really anything on it.  BB Chevy pistons, a few hours makeing John Deere liners fit the block, offset grinding an otherwise junk crank and a trial set of billet connecting rods getting the tooling and processes figured out. It's more of an overhaul but if it's got a little snap and gets to go play once in a while that'll give the kids something to pull with when they get older. 

-------------
"see what happens when you have no practical experience doing something...... you end up playing with calculators and looking stupid on the internet"

Date Posted: 20 Dec 2012 at 10:49am
I know exactly what you mean by choked..... I have seen the results of new to the sport , or  well intentioned , but mis-informed pullers fitting larger carbs, for more power ! , need more power! , only to find that their engine gets lazier due to slower induction velocity.
  Thats why for the small fish in a small pond pulling I do, I think its hard to beat the way  "Mother Allis "  engineered them. 
 Case in point , a few years ago I restored a "57 Chevy , engine was junk...old truck block with two different heads etc.  So I installed a turn-key  ZZ4 crate engine. Came with a 750 Holley, owner thought it ran stong, until I borrowed a 650 Holley and put that on.... It was amazing how that engine woke up.  Probably would suffer  above 5500 or so  but for the street it was sweet.

Posted By: ChuckLuedtkeSEWI
Date Posted: 20 Dec 2012 at 12:41pm
I have done rather well with my D19 and I know that it is just stock.   Pulling in the 7500 to 8500 paced classes, most of them non turbo.  I'm sure there are some tractors in there that are "souped" up a bit, but I am running stock. I did put dished rims on the back with 18.4 x 38's on the back as that's as big as we are allowed to run and I found a D19 narrow front for it and have a set of six bolt 15" rims/tires on it.   And weight brackets to add weight to get up to 8500.  I have been pulling in 1st high and most of the time, I lose enough juice at the end, that I go down to 1st low and finish.   Out of six times pulling last year, I think I placed 2nd once and 3rd twice.   Not bad for the first year and I'm still shaking out bugs.   This winter the head is getting pulled off as it needs a good valve job and valve guides.   I will also tear into the transmission and go over some things and make sure it is all up to snuf.   I guess I could cheat like the rest but I am more then happy with it's performance just the way it is. 

-------------
1955 WD45 diesel 203322 was my dad's tractor, 1966 D15 23530, 1961 HD3 Crawler 1918, 1966 D17 IV 83495, 1937 WC 41255, 1962 D19 6221

Posted By: mlpankey
Date Posted: 20 Dec 2012 at 3:09pm
2 engines with bore and stroke is equal the one with the highest compression ratio will have more torque.

-------------
people if they don't already know it you can't tell them. quote yogi berra

Date Posted: 20 Dec 2012 at 4:49pm
 I know its wishfull thinking , but I was hoping not to hear from the peanut gallery.......

Date Posted: 20 Dec 2012 at 9:32pm
i think he's got the math right on this one...but higher comp. brings more hassels with it after a point and too much lug with high comp can detonate and go bad in a hurry

-------------
There are 3 ways to do job GOOD, FAST, CHEAP. YOU MAY CHOOSE 2. If its FAST & CHEAP it won't be GOOD, if it's GOOD & CHEAP it won't be FAST, and if its GOOD & FAST it won't be CHEAP!!!!

Date Posted: 21 Dec 2012 at 9:58am
Originally posted by Mrgoodwrench Mrgoodwrench wrote:

i think he's got the math right on this one...but higher comp. brings more hassels with it after a point and too much lug with high comp can detonate and go bad in a hurry
Its why I run methanol theres a remedy to every problem

-------------

Posted By: AC200Puller
Date Posted: 21 Dec 2012 at 6:07pm
I just can't believe that as smart as the peanut man is that he is screwing around with a little gas engine and we haven't been watching him on the television running with the NTPA.

Posted By: Carl(NWWI)
Date Posted: 21 Dec 2012 at 10:27pm
I hear ya Dave. Seems like such a pro, but nothing to show.

Pank, this says stock tractor pulling question. You have no reason to be taking over this thread either. Leave to us who actually pull and pull with stock tractors.

Thanks Much.
Carl

Date Posted: 21 Dec 2012 at 10:51pm
Originally posted by mlpankey mlpankey wrote:

as i'm still planning my puller i've been reading the rules from many pulling clubs and have seen none that allow methanol in a "stock" type class...most won't even let water meth in hot farm diesels

-------------

Date Posted: 22 Dec 2012 at 6:16am
Come on guys, think just a little. When you're 90 to 100 feet BACK from the leaders does anyone care what you do?

In my past experiences people care about the winners, some help the loosers when the loosers deserve help. When they don't though they get laughed at and take up lie telling on the "net.

This keyboard commando clown isn't worth any one of our time anymore. He's skipped from one lie to another. The peanut gallery is reguarded as the back seats or people who's opinions are insignificant........

Back on topic (and a little story telling) though I must be the worst driver ever trying to go 4 mph and pay attention to tires, brakes, letting off to maintain traction etc. I drive an NTPA alcohol light super stock tractor and it's easier than trying to figure out a "stock" tractor. Put all the weight you can on the front and set the drawbar to where you hope to be able to controll it for that track. Set the seat so I can stiff leg the clutch, hold the brakes for all they are worth. Push the go stick ahead and she'll go when ready. 2 seconds in the tires hook, the front lifts and then hopefully sit back and enjoy the ride. Tap brakes verry early for slight steering corrections, to late and you go all over the place.

-------------

Date Posted: 22 Dec 2012 at 10:21am
Originally posted by mlpankey mlpankey wrote:

Is your problem solver really methanol?   Or are you running a  meth lab in the back room? and again , simply confused the two? They are not interchangable you know....

Date Posted: 22 Dec 2012 at 11:26am
yes

-------------

Posted By: mufflerboltz
Date Posted: 22 Dec 2012 at 11:53am
i was actually thinking of going all out and spending all this money( which i dont have lol) and try to build one of these so called "stockers", but i sat back and thought about it and how much more fun it would be to do what you guys are talking about- just get everything set right, go have a good time and beat up built engines!  

Date Posted: 22 Dec 2012 at 12:00pm
if you can? a blind hog finds a acorn every now and again . so they will be the built tractors that are able to hit the setup for the track just as well as the guy with the stock tractor can. i guess it comes down to where you are happy with the place of the finish . I knew a good bracket racer thats engine was down in his car so he raced a stock computer controlled four cylinder to keep his skills on and be consistent granted the spectators didnt like his slow car over his drag car and no event will stay around if it doesnt draw a crowd. Lack luster usually doesnt draw one either.

-------------

Date Posted: 22 Dec 2012 at 4:20pm
This is about stock tractor pulling, why are these other topics being brought up? 90% of the time, they guys pulling stock tractors, can out pull the guys that went out and spent all the money souping the engine up in their tractors.

-------------

Date Posted: 22 Dec 2012 at 4:54pm
Its hilarous when people spend a bunch of money on engines that dont have a clue and engine shops know this ; they spend all this money , get on it and it runs just like before and they wonder why ; cause they got screwed , if you watch the track , know your tractor balance most of the time you can chug right past them while they set there scratching their head

Date Posted: 22 Dec 2012 at 6:15pm
Originally posted by DougG DougG wrote:

Its hilarous when people spend a bunch of money on engines that dont have a clue and engine shops know this ; they spend all this money , get on it and it runs just like before and they wonder why ; cause they got screwed , if you watch the track , know your tractor balance most of the time you can chug right past them while they set there scratching their head
 I agree abso-frirkkin'-lutely, and that was the point of my choice of topic... know your tractor, watch what others do....whether right or wrong, and apply, or not ,what you observe depending on what you see.  wi50 agreed, pure stock pulling is challenging, Chuck Luedtke would agree, too,  it took me a couple three years to get in the groove. It really shouldn't take long to see and feel in the seat of yer pants  whether your set up to be competative or not.  Today with a video camera in every cellphone , its simple to look at a video of your pass , and maybe a little more difficult to decipher and figure out what you might do just a wee bit better. I learned to pull farther thru incremental change... not by adding gobs of power and shortchanging  balance and traction.  Its all gotta work together , and when it does , it's a beutiful thing, eh?    Every tractor has a sweet spot.... a speed and weight and drawbar heigth  class that it loves, wi50 mentioned an old  fence row diesel , D17 I think,  it was in its sweet spot, and shined.    If your a peanut follower ..., do as he does, don't pull, just come on here and pretend.

Date Posted: 22 Dec 2012 at 6:15pm
Ok with my WC, I'm still running a mag...any advantage to putting say a petronix electronic setup with a distributor or not? Its a 201 with the stock carb I stole off my WD45. WD manifold and straight pipe. Has a k&n looking cone filter instead of the oil bath. Last I had it on the PTO dyno I pushed 32hp...respectable for a 201 that's never been apart right? Just trying to get a little more is all.

-------------
Central PA Allis Express
1934 WC254
1945 WF
1945 WC135755
1951 WD68085
1953 WD45-150217
1957 WD45D-230744D
B110

Date Posted: 22 Dec 2012 at 6:21pm

Benny, hang on to a plug wire , get your new  bride to crank it over.....  Do you need more juice?   Nothing wrong with a good mag.    Ken Mi , runs one  on his WC , can't fault his tractors git up & go.

Date Posted: 22 Dec 2012 at 6:26pm
I have fun with the old WC. In my opinion it counts as stock and depending on the track its competitive against Oliver 70, Farmall H's and the like. Our local track I won't even take it. We have a sticky clay track and it takes a lot of power....I can't pull hardly half track and power out. I did forget to mention it has a D17 gov spring...stock one had me running about 1200rpm....pretty lazy lol

-------------
Central PA Allis Express
1934 WC254
1945 WF
1945 WC135755
1951 WD68085
1953 WD45-150217
1957 WD45D-230744D
B110

Posted By: Dipstick In
Date Posted: 22 Dec 2012 at 9:47pm
We had one of those "mouthy-know-it-alls" build up a WD-45. Was supposed to be gettiing 120 hp, had a stroker crank,maybe 6", ran Farmall H rods, with Chebbie pistons, petronix igniters, and I don't know what else. Took it to the track at our fair, wound her up, let fly the clutch, got past the shut off point 'bout 75-90' and dug two holes. Took her back to the pit area, and shifted weights and some other witchcrafty type thingys, came back out for a second pull, got about 20-30' farther down the track, but was beat by a couple of bone-stock tractors just in off the range. He loaded his "Wunderhorse", went home, left the club, sold ALL of his AC stuff and no one hears from him again! 

-------------
You don't really have to be smart if you know who is!

Date Posted: 23 Dec 2012 at 11:15am
you can have to much at times just like you can have not enough at times. one time clays d14 in low side first out pulled some respected modified tractors by 50 ft one time . then we went  to a track where power out pulled him 100 ft.

-------------

Posted By: allischalmersbrad
Date Posted: 26 Dec 2012 at 8:44pm
I have 3 different unstyled WCs that i pull with in stock pulls. Our club puts on 2-3 percentage pulls during the summer. We end up getting a lot of different guys trying it because we limit it to stock. Everybody has a lot of fun and being it is a percentage pull the guy with a B Allis can compete with the guy that has a WD-9 IH.  To me it is just as much fun watching these tractors the way they came from the factory (OK I guess a lot of them are worn out) as it is watching ones that are modified.

Posted By: Orange Blood
Date Posted: 26 Dec 2012 at 10:04pm
I have been complaining for years that there are no more "Stock" pulls around, it seems many of the pullers in stock pulls are cheating, and hiding modifications, which no longer makes the pull any fun.  I would love to put a 45 diesel, or a D19 diesel in a pull, the 19, might not have a class in many of the antique pulls, but some do.  Heck it would be really cool to put a stock D21 in a pull.  I think I have found a class it would fit right into, 1960 and up, 10.5K max 125HP max.  The association does not look like it has more than 3 tractors in that class.

-------------
Still in use:
HD7 WC C CA WD 2-WD45 WD45LP WD45D D14 3-D17 D17LP 2-D19D D19LP 190XTD 190XTLP 720 D21 220 7020 7030 7040 7045 3-7060
Projects: 3-U UC 2-G 2-B 2-C CA 7-WC RC WDLP WF D14 D21 210 7045 N7

Date Posted: 27 Dec 2012 at 6:44am
We started a "Field Ready" farm stock pull last year. Still working on ironing out the rules, but what it boils down to is 10HP per 1000 lbs of weight, stock rpms, stock block for model of tractor(to many combine engines in D17's and IH 460/560) Basically any part on the tractor has to be in the FACTORY parts book. ALso Factory tire sizes.  

We are trying to attract the people who took dads tractor from the fencerow, got it running, and wants to pull it and be competitive.

-------------

1968 D15D,1962 D19D

Date Posted: 27 Dec 2012 at 7:04am
Don we tried the same thing but had very little turn out. Hopefully this year it will pick up. I think our rule that you need to have original to tractor weights might hurt participation since it is hard to mount weights for different classes on the fly.

-------------
Charlie

Date Posted: 27 Dec 2012 at 8:59am
Charlie, you have to know when to draw the line.
We look at it as "does the modification cause and increase in HP or pulling distance?"

If a puller has a 100lb IH hanging off of his WC, or an 100 Allis weight hanging off of his WC, it doesnt matter, 100lb is 100lb

We are trying to keep this fair for the poeple that dont have the money to "sup" up there iron.

We dont DQ anyone that chages to a 12Volt Alternator setup or deletes the sediment bowl either as these mods dont increase HP, they are a "functional" modification

-------------

1968 D15D,1962 D19D

Posted By: cotncrzy
Date Posted: 27 Dec 2012 at 9:36am
  What about dividing the class up? Farm Stock 1, Factory mounted weights for that tractor, tire size, engine etc. Farm stock 2, fabricated weight brackets, fartherest extendable weight 11' from center of rear axle. Adjustable hitch, 18" back from center of axle. 1st gear only, or 3.5mph. Factory block or replacement block, 20% over factory rpm. Then tire size has to be considered, most stop the width at 15.5, some go to 16.9, and can be up to 38" diameter.  Anything that wont fit in either of the two, have a modified OPEN antique class, this one would allow shifting of T/A or Power Directors. 
There is nothing like a good set of rules, except enforcing them... 
 Around here there are "rules" and pretty good ones, then once you get there they go to Crap. You hear "Well there isn't enough for the class" or "We don't have enough help". It winds up a Pull what you brought kinda thing. I have a tractor that straddles the fence. I have tried to compete and now have three sets of tires and wheels, two engines.
  The thing that makes me shake my head is the people that will CHEAT for a $5 trophy and beat his chest when he out pulled a stock tractor.
 I have been put into a "Farm Stock" class because there wasn't but two of "US" there for the FS2. I wanted to pull, had drove 80+ miles one way, I payed my hook fee, pulled finished 2nd, behind the other FS2 tractor but refused to take the trophy. I felt the Farm Stock tractors deserved it since it was there class.
 I have begged the guys to stick to your guns on the rules, pleeded to them it would help build the pull up. When two show up let them settle it, winner take all. When one shows up grant him a "free Hook" in the Open Antique.
 I guess as long as there is competition there will be cheating, but a guy at the scales before the pull, checking weight and hitch height, a guy hooking the sled checking hitches again will make it alot more competive.

-------------
C, WD45,WD puller, 185, 200, 7060 Red Belly, 7060 Black Belly,8010, and a R52 Gleaner, AND PROUD OF THEM!

Date Posted: 27 Dec 2012 at 11:50am
Each weight class we have Farm Stock (True all stock components) 1st gear only, then 3.5 MPH (Not as strict as Stock) and then 6 MPH for the hot guys.

-------------
Charlie

Date Posted: 27 Dec 2012 at 12:57pm
Originally posted by cotncrzy cotncrzy wrote:

What about dividing the class up? Farm Stock 1, Factory mounted weights for that tractor, tire size, engine etc. Farm stock 2, fabricated weight brackets, fartherest extendable weight 11' from center of rear axle. Adjustable hitch, 18" back from center of axle. 1st gear only, or 3.5mph. Factory block or replacement block, 20% over factory rpm. Then tire size has to be considered, most stop the width at 15.5, some go to 16.9, and can be up to 38" diameter.  Anything that wont fit in either of the two, have a modified OPEN antique class, this one would allow shifting of T/A or Power Directors. 
There is nothing like a good set of rules, except enforcing them... 
 Around here there are "rules" and pretty good ones, then once you get there they go to Crap. You hear "Well there isn't enough for the class" or "We don't have enough help". It winds up a Pull what you brought kinda thing. I have a tractor that straddles the fence. I have tried to compete and now have three sets of tires and wheels, two engines.
  The thing that makes me shake my head is the people that will CHEAT for a $5 trophy and beat his chest when he out pulled a stock tractor.
 I have been put into a "Farm Stock" class because there wasn't but two of "US" there for the FS2. I wanted to pull, had drove 80+ miles one way, I payed my hook fee, pulled finished 2nd, behind the other FS2 tractor but refused to take the trophy. I felt the Farm Stock tractors deserved it since it was there class.
 I have begged the guys to stick to your guns on the rules, pleeded to them it would help build the pull up. When two show up let them settle it, winner take all. When one shows up grant him a "free Hook" in the Open Antique.
 I guess as long as there is competition there will be cheating, but a guy at the scales before the pull, checking weight and hitch height, a guy hooking the sled checking hitches again will make it alot more competive.
Been there and done all of that. Yes they will cheat, but it has nothing to do with the 2.00 ribbon(we cant afford the 5.00 trophy) it has to do with pride. I get laughed at alot when I say this, but you might better slap a man's wife than hurt his pride.......and while you all are shaking your head in discust, deep down you know I am right.
We dont have enough tractors to do all of the suggestions from cotncrzy, and they are all good suggestions, so we have to kind of feel things out so to speak and taylor our pull to the tractors available.
There are alot of things I would like to do, 10,000lb "Battle of the Standards" 12,500lb field farm stock,  and the list goes on.........

-------------

1968 D15D,1962 D19D

Posted By: geb
Date Posted: 15 Jan 2013 at 8:00pm
I've been following this thread and I don't respond very often.  But there is a lot of opinions and some valid and some not.  I have been pulling off and on since the early 70's.  With that said, anyone that believes more power is not better is not facing reality.  Now if you go out and pull without balancing the tractor, gets the air pressure right in tires, reading the track, etc, power is not important.  But if you are pulling against somone who does this as good as you do, or someone else in the class does. believe me, the one with the most power will win no matter what the class is called.

Posted By: WCCLASON
Date Posted: 15 Jan 2013 at 11:03pm
This is a very good topic. I have a unstyled WC i bought and it had decent power but the guy had it set up wrong. I put a d17 gov. spring and took of the oil bath and new plug and wire and there we go....Started getting 1st place, But powered out....right down to the last breath....And i was hooked. I "NEEDED MORE POWER"! I did the 4 1/8 over bore flat tops for a WC with the WD45 crank and wow...What a diffrence. I have firestone 13.6x36 tires and i had so much lugging power it was crazy.Best set up yet. I also didnt spend much money doing the rebuild either. Now....I have another engine i build with high comp. and like you guys have said....It lack lugging power but i know it dynos at 65 horse and it is still just a 240ci motor. So im going to try the bigger carb and some manifold work and see what happens.......I have beaten JD that have had thousands of dollars put in the motor so i still concider my tractors "Stock" Because they have all stock parts..just little tricks done.

Posted By: Glockhead SWMI
Date Posted: 16 Jan 2013 at 8:09am
I'd like to build a stock puller too. Maybe this summer I'll start on it in between all the other projects. 

Posted By: Jordan(OH)
Date Posted: 20 Jan 2013 at 1:20am
Originally posted by Charlie175 Charlie175 wrote:

This is a "stock" Ford

There is a big difference between 'stock' and 'farm stock.'  Farm stock is a set of rules just like pro stock, super stock etc.

Date Posted: 20 Jan 2013 at 6:44pm
"Farm Stock" is supposed to be tractors off the farm. That class has really expanded in the past couple years. And theres not a general set of rules for that class that everybody goes by yet. A "farm stock" shouldnt be running over 6 or 8 mph imho.....

-------------

Date Posted: 20 Jan 2013 at 7:13pm
Yeah thats the best way to stop them, put a mph limit, they cant run if you cant open it up!

Date Posted: 21 Jan 2013 at 12:17pm
Our "Farm Stock" class has a speed limit of 3mph

Regular class is 3.8mph

-------------

1968 D15D,1962 D19D

Posted By: Ken in Texas
Date Posted: 15 Feb 2013 at 9:08am
Most if not all the local tractor clubs that have sleds in my area of NE-TX are Branch Members of Early Day Gas Engine & Tractor Assn. http://www.edgeta.org" rel="nofollow - www.edgeta.org . They are the event insurance underighters.
   We more or less must follow EDGETA guidelines to be covered by insurance.
   We pull stock vintage farm tractors for fun and bragging rights. NO HOOK FEES! If the pull is not a Official EDGETA National sanctioned event the pulling rules are a bit looser. Non stock drawbars and stock tire size limits are not as strictly enforced.
   I pull a stock engine Bareback CA with a custom built combination drawbar with weight brackets. I run 13-6 x 24 tires on 11" rims on D10/Farmall A steel wheels with Farmall Wheel weights in #3500 and #4000. Tire ballast allows me to pull both stock and competive stock classes in 3500  and 500# of suitcase weights puts me into the  #4000 competive stock class.
    The last pulling outing at the LA State Fair pull in Shreveport got old me and the old CA a first in 3500 stock.  A second in 3500 competive stock and a second in 4000 competive stock.
    Not exactly shur but I think the speed limit is 3.5 mph. 1st gear in stock and 1st or 2nd allowed in competive stock.
    At my age those 100# suitcase weights are getting heavier to toss around. Would like to trade these 5 for 10 #50 weights before I drop one on my foot.

Date Posted: 15 Feb 2013 at 1:35pm
   At my age those 100# suitcase weights are getting heavier to toss around. Would like to trade these 5 for 10 #50 weights before I drop one on my foot.

I ageree on 100 # weights, I have 2 doz. 44 # weights ...used on belarus tractors. easier to carry two at a time for me.

Posted By: Austin98
Date Posted: 03 Sep 2017 at 7:52am
Have some questions on building an allis c for division 1 to division 2,is there any advantage to a d15 manifold versus stock, and other things I can do to the engine and carb set up

Posted By: Jordan(OH)
Date Posted: 03 Sep 2017 at 1:07pm
Start a new post

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.10 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2017 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net