This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Passing of the Punkin' Popple

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
littlemarv View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote littlemarv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2018 at 10:30pm
Well, its been 40+ degrees for a week now, and we have trees and logs laying out in the woods yet, best get them home till mud shuts us down till say, oh, JUNE. 

Was a little worried about thin ice on the creek, so we went down the road and around to get up in the woods, but ran into a rather large snag. The gator was cruising along on top of the snow until I hit a soft spot or something. All four wheels started spinning and we were high centered immediately. The big flat bottom of the gator sits on the snow nice as can be and the wheels are rendered useless.

Taught junior the fine art of just the right amount of shoveling mixed in with just the right amount of colorful language to handle such a situation. He should have that down pat next time he needs it.

Its tough working in the woods now, but the tractor with the chains does exceptionally well.  Fired up sweet Allis and went over the creek, which was perfectly solid.

We headed up to bring home a load of bolts and skid a few more trees into the yard as well.

I guess I have been demoted to passenger, as long as we are out in the open.

I have been letting him help me with the crane. We just have an understanding that he doesn't move in until I have the crane down and the tractor in neutral. He is really getting good at fishing the chain through, and centering it on the log, and hooking up  the slip hook correctly so it doesn't fall off as soon as you lift.

I'd say he's earned the right to a little seat time. Plus then I get to relax for a few.

Doesn't take too many big 'uns to fill the wagon.

So, that took us till lunch. We threw most of out clothes in the dryer while we ate, and after lunch, I went out and skidded the few remaining trees home to be cut up in the yard. Which leaves us with 5 logs laying up in the woods. We will go get them with the log arch tomorrow, hopefully. 

I never broke through the creek, but there was standing water on top of the ice that wasn't there when we started.
The mechanic always wins.

B91131, WC23065, WD89101, CA29479, B1, Early B10, HB212, 416H
Sponsored Links

ac45dave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac45dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2018 at 11:11pm
Marv, you know what you've started with that seat time don't ya.from the first time I got some seat time on grandpas wd45,about the same age as your son,it was full on competition between my dad and me for the tractor seat from then on..lol..good to see him running the old wd.that will stay in his blood for ever as it has in mine.love to hear those old wd and wd45s bark.
54 wd-45gas ; 56 wd-45d N/F w/fact p/s ; 63 d-17 sIII N/F gas ; 60 D14 N/F ; 67 d-17 sIV N/F gas ; 63D15 sII W/F; 39rc#667 ; 2021 massey 4710 fwa ; gravely 2 wheel tractors
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote littlemarv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2018 at 6:57am
Yes. When you are bringing a tree home in third gear and the governor does its thing coming up out of the creek bottom, makes me smile every time.

Which makes up for the cursing trying to get the old girl started..... the engine pops then the starter kicks out and you have to let it wind down and start over... sure can be a stubborn thing to start.

Going to pop the starter off today when we are done and have it gone through.

Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote littlemarv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2018 at 9:22pm
So today we went and took the arch up into the woods. I took my "high pulley" attachment off first.

We were grabbing logs two at a time, but we just weren't getting the clearance I had imagined. My hook and loop and snatchblock and swivel all add up and take too much space.

Then I had an epiphany right out there in the snowbank. Put the high pulley back on and back up we went.

Boy, that sucks em up nice and tight. We string chains under the log and release the winch a bit so it doesn't get jarred when going through the woods.

And then, to really put the day over the top, Uncle Eric showed up and brought Carter the single shot 20 gauge that both he and I have learned to shoot with. Suffice it to say, all logging operations ceased once that was brought out. Carter has never shot  a shotgun before, so I just wanted him to pop a few off to see how it felt. We were standing so close that the wad punched a hole in the target! He says it kicks a lot, but he wants to shoot it again. Maybe we will grab a slip on recoil pad for him, that single shot is pretty light.

And who was watching us while eating supper across the road? More deer in one spot than I have seen in several years of hunting. Kind of neat to watch them once they yard up for the winter.

Authors note: That field WAS soybeans and WAS combined with a green machine. The deer have been eating in that same field for several weeks now.

Thanks for looking!

Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote littlemarv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2018 at 9:49pm
Well, things have been softening up in the woods, and my dad's yard. The log pile is on his lawn, so we have to be careful not to rip it up. But, when its cold at night, its good and solid in the morning, anyways.

So, we winched some more onto the pile,

Some of the smaller ones, its just as easy to skid them over to the pile and flip them onto it.

So, we did that in the morning, then ran up to the woods and put a load on the wagon, and stacked the rest of the logs in piles of four or five to make it easy to grab them with the arch. I figured we need to get this wood out quick, spring is coming fast!

Mother nature has other ideas, I guess. We got 4" of heavy wet snow Friday night, and they are calling for 6-12" overnight into Tuesday.

The kids and I headed up yesterday to haul everything home. They sure do have fun up there, and don't even realize how much help they are, or how much they are learning.

Now that I figured out how to get the maximum lift with the arch, its time to see how much it can handle. I put the hand winch back on cause it has thicker cable. We started picking up bundles of smaller logs.

BUT, we started hooking onto bigger and bigger log piles. The high pulley attachment was designed for the cable going out to winch logs onto the pile, not straight down for heavy lifting.

This little tidbit was discovered the hard way.

We are really starting to deal with some large amounts of force here. I am stuck in town on call for the next week, so I brought the piece home with me to straighten out and re-work it a little to make it able to handle the load. Keep finding and fixing the weakest link, and eventually we will have quite the machine.

Thanks for looking.

JayIN View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JayIN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2018 at 8:20am
Very interesting. Thanks for sharing!!!
sometimes I walk out to my shop and look around and think "Who's the idiot that owns this place?"
Reindeer View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reindeer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2018 at 7:20pm
 Really enjoy your pictures and commentary.  Grew up making wood and logging with a WD, and D4 cat.  Good memories.

Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote littlemarv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2018 at 9:48pm
Beefed up and ready to go again.

We are supposed to get 3 1/2" of rain, or 10" of snow, in the next 4 days, depending on temperatures. Junior and I scrambled up in the woods after supper to clean up the last of the logs, before we become swamp loggers!

He grabbed the pulp wood,

I loaded the rest of the bolts,

And we made one last trip home, for awhile anyways.

So, we got everything piled, just at dark, in the rain. Can't see it in the picture too good, but the bolts are on the left, and the pulp wood is on the right.

We need 12 cords of each to make a load. One load to the paper mill, and another to the sawmill. I think we need a couple more loads of good bolts just to be safe, but that's up to the saw man. Once it dries up again, the logging should be a lot easier. Plus, the trucker told me to hold on to the wood until June, when the mills empty out and the price may go up. That's about when the yard dries up anyways , so should work out perfect.

Sure was a blast working on this all winter. Time spent with kids, and family, and dog, and tractors, is time well spent.

Thanks for looking.

drobCA View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drobCA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2018 at 10:08pm
I am truly surprised a publisher hasn't contacted you about publishing this... story & pictures.

trite as it may sound... thanks for sharing both with us... especially with this desert dweller.

3 Ford 8N's I loan to neighbors, but the '52CA, '41B and little B1 I do not.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote littlemarv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2018 at 9:35pm
Grandpa Marvin snagged the wagon so he can get going on firewood, but swamped the gator trying to get a load home. He asked if we could run up there with a tractor and get it home for him.

Luckily, I  just happen to know a willing driver.

So, we went up and grabbed one last load, and we should be done with the logging operation.

So there is a winters work. Should be close to 24 cords. Hopefully I can be there for some pictures when the log truck comes.

Thanks for looking!

shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2018 at 11:09pm
yep...I thinks the Discovery CHannel needs to pick you 2 up, how much drama can you add? oh wait, that should be easy, you are using a green machine too! (poke,poke)
Steve A View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2018 at 5:39am
It will be interesting to see how dense the aspen sprouts back this spring. You'll have to post a couple shots of the more open areas in late summer.
Sugarmaker View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2018 at 7:56am
Marv,
 Great documentation of your logging event this past winter. Really enjoyed the pictures and story. Great to see all the machinery options and the kids helping. You son with the B in some of the last pictures is great. Looks like he has his own orange tractor now! But he does a good job with the WD too! Those bull chains remind me of when I was a kid his age. They will really grip!
Thanks for sharing!
Regards,
 Chris
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2018 at 9:17am
Sure sorry I didn't get to see you this weekend!  We had a LONG talk with wiplowboy.  Was a beautiful day for it.
Can't wait to see that little guy!  He's sure a good worker.
Thanks for this GREAT thread and the pics are what make it special.
See ya soon I hope......
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote littlemarv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2018 at 3:11pm

Got a hold of the truck driver the other day, the yard is nice and dry,  so he went and hauled the bolts up to the saw mill, came back and picked up the pulp wood and headed for the paper mill. Sure wish I could have been there to see that.

Interestingly enough, he had to stop at my work on his way to the paper mill, so I at least got to see what the load looked like.

Not quite enough for a full load. He figured about 10 cords of bolts, and 10 cord of pulp wood. Oh well, close enough.

Now for the moment of truth..... the mills pay him, he takes his cut, and Pa gets the rest. We will see in a week or two.

Thanks for looking.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic